Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Fayk posted:

Dumb question that I'm asking because I'm at work rather than in-game figuring it out but... since the survival tool doesn't do any terrain digging/deformation that I can see on any of its settings, what is supposed to be your initial source of Silicon ore ...to get a real drill? The conversion rat eof crushed rocks to silicon is pretty laughable, so I assume it's not that unless they wanted the 'survival' start to be grindy or 'hard' in all the wrong ways...

Silicon rocks are knee-high lumpy rocks with white splotches. Mostly found in deserts and forest (for some reason). They give 3-6 a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Orv posted:

Silicon rocks are knee-high lumpy rocks with white splotches. Mostly found in deserts and forest (for some reason). They give 3-6 a pop.

Okay, just the RNG/worldgen loving me then, all the rocks I've seen have been copper, iron, or 'rock'. Thanks!

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Something to point out you can place the survival sent over yourself making you immune to any melee creature, letting you to easily kill them off with your free tool, works in MP as well but check to see if there is any rules about it or if they have the tent disabled in creation, most severs seem to be very lenient so far cause of the massive increase in the bare bones survival game

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just fired up this game after about 15 months, and ... it’s a little different.

One of my most basic questions: I started a default scenario and I don’t seem to have a helmet (U does nothing and going underwater is bad). Is that how it’s supposed to be?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This game is on sale for 50% off this week on Steam. Someone was recommending this in the Subnautica thread and I think :10bux: is just right for me.

Anything I should know before starting out?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I just fired up this game after about 15 months, and ... it’s a little different.

One of my most basic questions: I started a default scenario and I don’t seem to have a helmet (U does nothing and going underwater is bad). Is that how it’s supposed to be?

Yes, the new start is supposed to be more of a "survival challenge" so you don't start with a space suit or jet pack any more. You will need to craft light armor and an armor station for that.

I personally like the change, makes the early game more interesting.

Away all Goats posted:

This game is on sale for 50% off this week on Steam. Someone was recommending this in the Subnautica thread and I think :10bux: is just right for me.

Anything I should know before starting out?

Follow the tutorial and you should be fine. Blueprints are your friend, they only check your level as a requirement (not if you have actually learned all of the components in a build). Go on the steam workshop and search for some cheap ones, there are player made ones available that are cheaper than the default ones included in the game.

Upgrade your mining drill to T2 as soon as you can.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fayk posted:

Okay, just the RNG/worldgen loving me then, all the rocks I've seen have been copper, iron, or 'rock'. Thanks!

It's spawned by biomes. You'll find silicone in deserts/arid areas.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pound_Coin posted:

It's spawned by biomes. You'll find silicone in deserts/arid areas.

Just a minor quibble.. that's Silicon, not Silicone. Silicon is the element, Silicone is the polymer.

Fayk posted:

Ambaire posted:

Mineral rocks can be heavily dependent on seed, but this is what I've found:

Silicon: mountainous areas, deserts, rarely in forests.
Iron: very rare, grasslands/deserts and occasionally swamp shorelines
Copper: mountainous areas, deserts, grasslands
Cobalt: the alien hot radioactive creepy zones

Reposting this from last page. Someone should add it to the OP.

Also, Promethium rocks may still be found underwater, as well as in the alien radioactive zones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

Just a minor quibble.. that's Silicon, not Silicone. Silicon is the element, Silicone is the polymer.

You can find Silicone deposits in the NPC trade stations and space stations:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This game lets you take nice screenshots. I made a cool building https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1411902684

Some of the pictures I took to show it off are pretty in my opinion:

I like the fact that I can see mountains in the distance. I also like that I could theoretically put a big sign or something on that mountain and be able to see it from where I took the picture.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Ambaire posted:

Wrong, the deposits are actually shaped like bad dragon toys.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
The beginning of the game feels kinda silly now. More 'survivaly' but more sparse and boring (lots more ground to cover on foot) than any other actual survival game. Whatever, I'm sure it'll be short.

That said, the output from solar cells feels really low, are they considered that useful, or are we still expected to pretty much just go find some prometheum to get started?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
BIofuel works in a lot more stuff now (including HVs) - so promethium only becomes vital later.

Solar panels can support a large base, if you max them out.

This took a ridiculous amount of silicon but I don't have to turn lights out pretty much ever. Might even be able to run the constructor overnight.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Duodecimal posted:

BIofuel works in a lot more stuff now (including HVs) - so promethium only becomes vital later.

I wish the game told you this

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Stevefin posted:

I wish the game told you this

It actually does, in a way. The tooltip says 'Fuel Value: 10'.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game cool.

Yes I am playing with a bunch of incredible nerds, why do you ask?

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 16, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus christ this game is a loving chore to play. I can't believe space engineers somehow both runs better and also lets you get somewhere faster.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus christ this game is a loving chore to play. I can't believe space engineers somehow both runs better and also lets you get somewhere faster.
For real, I'm running around like an idiot in the default start and built a drill but have zero bio fuel. The Internet says that seaweed is used for it and I've wasted an hour trying to find some in water.

On the flip side, in creative mode I've checked out a bunch of ships from the workshop and they are hands down way more interesting and in-depth than what you can pull of in SE (plus they don't wreck your system with clang or slowdown from what I can tell).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make biofuel from plant fiber which you can process from wood logs.

It's more that it's just really loving grindy and digging ore by hand is mind numbingly dull.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

You can make biofuel from plant fiber which you can process from wood logs.

It's more that it's just really loving grindy and digging ore by hand is mind numbingly dull.
Yeah I figured trees could do it but for the life of me couldn't get my multitool or drone to cut one down. I'll give it another try.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 17, 2018

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Ah apparently there's no feedback when cutting down trees so I didn't notice it was working, and just slow :rolleyes:
https://old.reddit.com/r/empyriongame/comments/8rbc60/survival_tool_in_defense_mode_doesnt_seem_able_to/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to switch the multitool to defence mode, i think. Or use a chainsaw. The tree should wobble.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah that worked. Of course now I get back to a drilling site and the hole is entirely covered with an undrillable grass texture, haha. Jesus Christ.

Edit: Quitting and reloading fixed it. Oh early access games, why can't I quit you.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 17, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
To me, this latest patch slows the game down way too much at the beginning. Not only is the slower resource gain a pain, but the map feels a bit too large. I miss being able to get a base going right away.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just starting out protip: Make two or three survival constructors and put them on the ground just outside your base, and load up a bunch of wood into each and tell them to make biofuel. Biofuel is really slow and making it will clog up your actual constructor and waste power otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there an... intended method of attacking this radar installation? Because it's surrounded by cannon bunkers which will basically one shot anything I send against them. So far the only way I can get anywhere is digging a 300m long siege trench with the drill which is really loving tedious.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To me it kinda sounds like the game got recalibrated to suit the loud grognards who have been playing this game since the beginning. I hope I'm wrong. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Update: turns out there's a communications base somewhere on the perimeter with a teleporter you can use. Still have to dodge a lot of one shot cannon shells to get there though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

To me it kinda sounds like the game got recalibrated to suit the loud grognards who have been playing this game since the beginning. I hope I'm wrong. :shrug:

You spend less time building your first spaceship in Empyrion than you do in Subnautica :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I finished the quest and now it's not given me another one. I guess I have to build a capital vessel but that requires an enormous amount of resources most of which I have no source for, and it seems like it will be incredibly grindy.

Is there a point?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

So I finished the quest and now it's not given me another one. I guess I have to build a capital vessel but that requires an enormous amount of resources most of which I have no source for, and it seems like it will be incredibly grindy.

Is there a point?

You can fly to the moon with only a Small Vessel, there should be the resources you need to make a Capital Vessel there. If not you can attach a jump drive to SVs too, but it is short range. Don't try to dig up what you need with a mining drill, you need to build a HV mining machine. Once you have that it shouldn't take very long to mine what you need for your first Capital Vessel.

LyndaFromHR
Jun 19, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I paid for a hosted empyrion server for some friends but it seems underutilized. If there is any interest I can dump the login details here. Let me know if you all are interested. The server is fast and playing with people makes the content fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LyndaFromHR posted:

I paid for a hosted empyrion server for some friends but it seems underutilized. If there is any interest I can dump the login details here. Let me know if you all are interested. The server is fast and playing with people makes the content fun.

Of course. Though be warned, goons may troll your friends.

LyndaFromHR
Jun 19, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Rutibex posted:

Of course. Though be warned, goons may troll your friends.

Edit: welped server ded

LyndaFromHR fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 24, 2018

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, I have a silly question for you. I bought this game ages ago and now I'm back giving it a try. Some ytube videos helped me figure out how to mine with my drone and all that, and now I'm rolling around in my HV. However, I'm having trouble driving it. When I switch to the different view I'm like standing on top of my HV when I'm driving it. How do I change the camera angle to third person when I'm driving?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Page up/down changes the camera height, not sure about the other axes.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Page up/down changes the camera height, not sure about the other axes.

Sweet I'll give it a try.

To anyone lost as gently caress, check out this dudes youtube videos. I honestly forgot to use a drone to mine, and I was walking around looking for ore. After browsing thru his stuff which is basically a tutorial I had a Hover Vehicle with a Scanner and I'm off to the races. Well, except the loving titan. gently caress those minigun drones. I cant nose up my Hover vehicle to engage them :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aouHTGEgsp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can kill the minigun drones fairly easily with a handgun, just drive up to the titan, park in cover, then hop out and shoot them.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

A) Drones can't fire straight down

B) Hitting the red bits does more damage.

Run at them screaming IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
With the changes to shotgun accuracy, shotguns are pretty drat good at killing drones now. Should only take 2-3 shots. Or just make a bunch of ARs and gun them down. Pistols are a last ditch weapon, even with the T2 version.

• Locked thread