Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
You get the picture. I'll start:

Johnny Depp in Nightmare on Elm Street

Kevin Bacon in Friday the 13th

Matthew McConaughey in Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

Renee Zellweger in Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

Adam Scott in Hellraiser: Bloodline

Jennifer Aniston in Leprechaun

Leonardo DiCaprio in Critters 3

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It's on

Jason Alexander

The Burning

Fisher Stevens

The Burning

Holly Hunter

The Burning

Andy Kaufman

God Told Me To

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 19, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brad Pittt in Cutting Class

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seth Green - Ticks

Seth Green - It

Seth Green - Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch Make My Video

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

George Clooney Return of the Killer Tomatoes

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Layer of the White Worm: Hugh Grant and Doctor Who??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Found a bunch of click bait articles on this.
https://www.wired.com/2013/10/early-roles-horror-movies/

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Crispin Glover in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso

Jennifer Connelly in Phenomena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKXNMMpWMk

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

I thought Clooney was ashamed of this movie because of its content but now I see it has to be because of that hair.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought Clooney was ashamed of this movie because of its content but now I see it has to be because of that hair.

That WAS his hair up until he was cast in "ER"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQSiTIb2Ac

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Humphrey Bogart - The Return of Dr. X (1939)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5m5RiVyAs

Weird timing. Bogart had been mainly supporting characters in films (like Angels with Dirty Faces and The Petrified Forest), but made this just before his big breaks in The Roaring Twenties, High Sierra, and The Maltese Falcon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe I'll get "Well actually..."'d for this but does McConaughy actually count for Chainsaw Massacre? It was a year after Dazed and Confused.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe I'll get "Well actually..."'d for this but does McConaughy actually count for Chainsaw Massacre? It was a year after Dazed and Confused.

McConaughy's career trajectory is probably one of the weirdest out there. Like, when he did Texas Chainsaw Massacre he was known but certainly not someone anybody expected to go on to win a Best Actor Oscar. But then again, nobody expected that out of him even long after he'd become an A-list star. He's had several career phases where it's like "is this even the same guy?".

When people saw The Dark Tower a lot of them were saying "a solid performance by McConaughy but wasted in a poo poo movie". Well, yea, that's a lot of what he's done his whole career. Waste solid performances on projects that aren't worthy of his talents. That run he had a few years ago is the exception, not the rule.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 19, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hell, McConaughy and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both in the horror comedy "My Boyfriend's Back"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Davros1 posted:

Hell, McConaughy and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both in the horror comedy "My Boyfriend's Back"

Not horror, but there's an episode of Law and Order season 1 that has Hoffman's first credited appearance. The episode also stars Samuel L. Jackson before he broke out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

He was also in Return to Horror High

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure McConaughey is literally the one person in history to have both appeared in an Unsolved Mysteries dramatic re-enactment and won an Academy Award.

He's really hit the ends of the spectrum in his time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Samuel L. Jackson in Def By Temptation

And a year later in Exorcist III

Jason Alexander in Jacob's Ladder

Eriq La Salle and Ving Rhames are in Jacob's Ladder too but I couldn't find a good image.

Thandie Newton in Interview with the Vampire

Angela Bassett in Critters IV

Terry Farrell in Hellraiser III

Drew Barrymore in Altered States, Firestarter, Cat's Eye, Doppleganger, etc.

Lance Henriksen playing a cop in Damien: Omen II, a cop in Piranha II: The Spawning, a cop in The Terminator, etc. before Aliens :)

Sanaa Lathan in Blade

Mila Kunis Piranha (the 1995 remake :barf: )

John Boyega in Attack the Block

Yancy Butler in Savage Weekend (the internet let me down again :( )

Claudia Christian in The Hidden

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Julia Louise Dreyfus in Troll

Molly Shannon in Phantom of the Opera (1989)

Leonardo DiCaprio in Critters 3

Marisa Tomei in The Toxic Avenger

Mark Ruffalo in The Dentist

Clint Eastwood in Revenge of the Creature

Paul Walker and Fergie in Monster in the Closet

John Goodman and Jay Thomas in C.H.U.D.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 20, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Critters series has given us so much. Thank you Critters. Praise be.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Lance Henriksen playing a cop in Damien: Omen II, a cop in Piranha II: The Spawning, a cop in The Terminator, etc. before Aliens :)

Lance Henriksen is one of those actors like Eric Roberts who to this day will be in your movie for a sandwich and bus fare. He was even in a Brazilian soap opera about MUTANTS.

Neo Rasa posted:

Jodie Whittaker too, making Attack the Block the (to the best of my knowledge) only movie containing a lead from both Star Wars and Doctor Who.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like this is kind of an odd example; first off, he's straight up the protagonist of the movie and not a bit character, and second off, it's the movie that explicitly launched his career rather than a pre-breakout role (seriously, iirc AtB is literally why he's Finn in Star Wars now). like, I dunno, if my reaction to him getting really, really big was "holy poo poo it's the guy from Attack the Block!" rather than watching AtB and going "holy poo poo it's Finn!" then it kinda doesn't fit.

e: I feel like it would be a slightly better example if, like, the guy who played that random white pothead guy got really famous later on.

e2: huh, I decided to look it up for shits and apparently the guy who played Brewis was in Clash of the Titans too... and then basically got banished to TV movie hell. shame, he was hilarious in that movie.

e3: the guy who played Pest seems to have made a career showing up in low-rent British crime movies (the Danny Dyer types).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 20, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The awful horror/comedy Nothing But Trouble was Tupac Shakur's first film role, back when has a backup dancer/singer for Digital Underground.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Lance Henriksen is one of those actors like Eric Roberts who to this day will be in your movie for a sandwich and bus fare. He was even in a Brazilian soap opera about MUTANTS.

Jodie Whittaker too, making Attack the Block the (to the best of my knowledge) only movie containing a lead from both Star Wars and Doctor Who.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Harrison Ford and John Hurt)
The Hobbit Films (Sylvester McCoy and Christopher Lee)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Americans, for the most part, have not seen or even heard of Attack the Block. Put Attack the Block on for a theatre of 100 Americans and I guarantee 98 of them will have the "Oh poo poo it's Finn!" reaction.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basebf555 posted:

Americans, for the most part, have not seen or even heard of Attack the Block. Put Attack the Block on for a theatre of 100 Americans and I guarantee 98 of them will have the "Oh poo poo it's Finn!" reaction.

I guess, but I'm not really sure if it's entirely in the spirit of the thread. He's not playing some stupid teenager who gets an ax through the skull 45 minutes in, he's the star of the movie from start to finish, and he's really good in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I guess, but I'm not really sure if it's entirely in the spirit of the thread. He's not playing some stupid teenager who gets an ax through the skull 45 minutes in, he's the star of the movie from start to finish, and he's really good in it.

It's just one of the things that can happen with mid/low budget horror movies, sometimes you get one where the lead is a new discovery and they end up going on to have a big career. Jamie Lee Curtis' film debut was Halloween.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basebf555 posted:

It's just one of the things that can happen with mid/low budget horror movies, sometimes you get one where the lead is a new discovery and they end up going on to have a big career. Jamie Lee Curtis' film debut was Halloween.

Right, and I'm not sure Jamie Lee Curtis would fit here either, because Halloween was a star-making turn for her. You don't sit down to watch Halloween and go "wow, I didn't know Jamie Lee Curtis was in this!". I guess we're getting into semantics at this point though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

uh... i mean i guess if you just ask random people without selecting for them caring about movies at all, but it got a lot of hype when it came out and it's bounced around streaming services pretty frequently, not to mention it's directed by an Edgar Wright collaborator, so I'd imagine pretty much anyone who's into movies at all has at least heard of it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Right, and I'm not sure Jamie Lee Curtis would fit here either, because Halloween was a star-making turn for her. You don't sit down to watch Halloween and go "wow, I didn't know Jamie Lee Curtis was in this!". I guess we're getting into semantics at this point though.

I get what you're saying but this thread isn't going to go on for very long so it seems a pointless distinction to make. Sometimes actors are in horror movies and then go on to become world famous A-list stars, like Boyega. I'd argue Jamie Lee Curtis didn't reach that level until about a decade after Halloween anyway, she was consistently working slasher films for a while afterwards and very gradually transitioned into more prestigious roles.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I get what you're saying but this thread isn't going to go on for very long so it seems a pointless distinction to make. Sometimes actors are in horror movies and then go on to become world famous A-list stars, like Boyega. I'd argue Jamie Lee Curtis didn't reach that level until about a decade after Halloween anyway, she was consistently working slasher films for a while afterwards and very gradually transitioned into more prestigious roles.

Jamie Lee Curtis was cast in A Fish Called Wanda because I think Cynthia Cleese who had seen her in something else. Google isn't helping at the moment as to what that was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Jamie Lee Curtis was cast in A Fish Called Wanda because I think Cynthia Cleese who had seen her in something else. Google isn't helping at the moment as to what that was.

I'd imagine Trading Places.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Harrison Ford and John Hurt)
The Hobbit Films (Sylvester McCoy and Christopher Lee)

I wouldn’t call Lee a “Star Wars lead”: he was barely in Attack of the Clones and even less in Revenge of the Smith (they sure said ‘Count Dooku’ a crap load of times, though!)

I’ll give you that first example, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I wouldn’t call Lee a “Star Wars lead”: he was barely in Attack of the Clones and even less in Revenge of the Smith (they sure said ‘Count Dooku’ a crap load of times, though!)

I’ll give you that first example, though.

He was the villain of AotC however.

• Locked thread