Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

God this thread has me missing hoops, badly. I'm almost cleared to go- finally back to work after a year and a month off.

32 (33 in July) and had major shoulder work done last year after a freak shoulder injury. The surgeon was fantastic and put it back together like Humpty Dumpty.

Been a rough year long rehab. I've worked for 8 years as a bartender so not having my shoulder is kind of a big deal.

In total:

-6 anchors in my torn labrum
-My almost entirely shredded rotator cuff was patched back together
-A few bone spurs removed from my clavicle
...and just for good measure they removed a chunk of it to help decompress.

I've had some pretty ugly sports injuries in my life: cracked sternum (this was the absolute worst in terms of pain and almost got me stuck on percs and I BARELY ever take meds- I like to think i have a pretty high pain tolerance) completely broke both bones in my right arm, badly sprained MCL in my right knee, a left ankle sprain that the doctor said would have been better off broken) but this was far and away the most annoying rehab. It wasn't the pain, just getting lulled into a false sense of security after a few months of no issues and then reaching for something like normal and feeling like there were fireworks going off in my shoulder socket. It's a crazy sensation- even though my shoulder was strong before my injury, the feeling of an absolute evaporation of strength from your body is insane, when you fully expect something else.

Finally confident in it and haven't had any tweaks or issues, able to lift again, and have been throwing the tennis ball to the dog at the park (though I'm sure I look pretty special because the motion is still a bit altered).

Need to get back to hoops, though, to get any semblance of cardio and weightloss back into the picture. It's been far to easy being a fatty for the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

oh man...with the rash of injuries...wouldn't jogging be a safer option or are you committed to pick up basketball?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah man, that’s a pretty long list of serious injuries. I probably would have stopped after the sternum, so shout out to you for sticking with hoops after all that

I finally have time to get out and hoop and man I’m out of shape. Need to bring my conditioning up to something not garbage so I’ve been running suicide sprints and full court drives. It’s terrible but at least I’m not gassed after three games now

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
In my case, sure, light jogging and a good diet must have helped more, but I wouldn't even be motivated for that if it wasn't to play more ball. The hardest part of coming back from injury is coming to terms that you're basically a different guy, and must do many things differently, many pros struggle with that, and I'm not quite out of denial even after several years. I was trying to defend more properly the other day but then I played against Short Guy who Drives in a Straight Line and went for every block, I was gassed by the end of it but it's not bad to indulge yourself every now and then, maybe.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

oh man...with the rash of injuries...wouldn't jogging be a safer option or are you committed to pick up basketball?

I've been super fortunate in that I've always bounced back and gotten back to essentially "100%". My body is pretty much pain free at this point in my life, with no residual issues with the shoulder now.

I have no residual pain from any past injuries other than this past winter, for the very first time, my arm was stiff/a bit painful right at the point of the break.

The sternum was far and away the most painful and took a solid 2 months before I actually felt "goodish". For the first 2-3 weeks I literally had to roll out of bed onto my hands and knees (had a low profile mattress) and get up slowly off the floor. Sitting up in bed was impossible.

The shoulder was the first significant issue since my sternum, which happened about 11 years ago now during a turkeybowl. Worst Thanksgiving ever :laugh:

I'm a bit nervous to fast forward 10 or 15 years to see how I feel then, because everyone I talk to says they sneak back in over time as you age but we'll see. Glucosamine and chondroitin, fish oil, and a healthy relationship with ibuprofen (the miracle drug of all miracle drugs) and a lot of water have served me well to this point.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 2, 2018

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Goons, I need to ask you about girls (of any flavor, cis or trans) playing pickup.

Do y'all play coed or what?

I haven't played any hoops since college and that was a long time and a whole gender ago and I'm really flummoxed as to what to do now.

Not sure where you play but in the Bay Area, that whole advertising campaign seems to have worked about "if you can play, you can play."

It's lovely if you're getting judged by people but the first time you stripe the net from distance or do something good, it should/will hopefully stop.

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Stay safe goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwocezhA6cI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Evolutions are $43 for Prime Day

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Tried to get in on this late last night but I guess it was sold out. I love the evolution too.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Intruder posted:

I was sad I couldn't get one. Mine is four years old and needs replacing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What are Evolutions?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The best pickup basketball ever made

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Don't be this dude at the gym:

https://deadspin.com/virginia-man-calls-cops-after-hard-screen-in-pickup-b-1827659622

https://twitter.com/_togs/status/1019251122928746499

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Evolutions rule I've lost so many of them over the years from just forgetting them at the courts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine getting owned so hard you call the cops and then tryign to show up to that gym ever again for another game

Also last week a dude brought an official Spalding NBA ball and man I wish they weren't so expensive. I've never gotten such good rotation on my jumper

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 17, 2018

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I've heard they take a while to break in. I would also be extremely worried about someone stealing it, if I ever brought it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The audio for the guy who called the cops on the screener got out lol

https://deadspin.com/heres-the-911-call-made-after-a-man-set-a-hard-screen-1827687649

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Isn't it good, spending money on good equipment or is buying cheap equipment (like balls) ok?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The jump in price point from evolution to official NBA is pretty steep, evolutions are good enough that it's not really worth it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I bought an official nba ball and honestly I’d rather have the evolution. Especially with the price difference. The official ball takes forever to break in, so you have to play with a really slick ball for months before it’s worth the money you spent.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

But once it's broken in, oh god

The one thing I hate about the evolution is that the smallest amount of sweat on the ball turns it into a slippery mess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also evolutions are back in stock on amazon and apparently still $43 so the prime day thing was bullshit which I have long suspected

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
New genuines suck and take forever to break in, never wasting my money again especially when I forget balls at the court every other month

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My evolution is old and in need of replacing (It's like 4 years old) so I'm glad I saw the amazon deal since I paid $55 for the current one, but also my ball is never used as the game ball anymore

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Intruder posted:

but also my ball is never used as the game ball anymore

Same :smith:

That's how I knew that I needed to get a new one

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't know why I feel a weird honor when my balls accepted as the game ball but I do

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Haha yea definitely. Also it’s also nice because you’re most comfortable/familiar with that ball so I feel like it gives you a slight advantage.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My ball hasn’t been the game ball for like a year and I’m really sad. I also don’t wanna get rid of it since it has a good feel

Recently I’ve been hooping at my friend’s college’s gym and man it is nice staying in AC away from this oppressive heat. Since most people are gone for the summer it’s usually empty too! It’s also fun chucking threes up from college distance.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you guys have back or joint troubles, and the sort of latex/latexy allergies that prevent you from doing very useful band work, I strongly recommend mark bell's hip circle. It's not as stretchy, but it gets the job done. You'l be able to feel muscles around your spine unclench and actually perform work for the first time in ages.

I also recommend playing in the most padded puffed up Lebron esque shoe possible as long as it's not too heavy. Soft tissue gets chewed to pieces on worn out indoor courts and its shredded on cement.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you guys have back or joint troubles, and the sort of latex/latexy allergies that prevent you from doing very useful band work, I strongly recommend mark bell's hip circle. It's not as stretchy, but it gets the job done. You'l be able to feel muscles around your spine unclench and actually perform work for the first time in ages.

Ok, it sounds like I need this, but I don't have a latex allergy. Got any links for what to buy/ wbat to do?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't do mushy bottomed shoes at all

I'll have to try the hip circle though. The only thing I really do for my spine is hangs from a pullup bar to decompress

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

big boi posted:

Ok, it sounds like I need this, but I don't have a latex allergy. Got any links for what to buy/ wbat to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObiXtKM16E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results plus this results for (hip circle routine)

You want to do clamshells, squats, lateral steps, kickbacks, bridges, and since you aren't allergic to latex I recommend going to a trainer at your gym and asking for them to cut off a piece of stretchy tubing band (otherwise you'll need to buy a whole spool for like 50 bucks for just one piece) , tie handles on the end and use it around a pole, above your head at about a 60 degree angle, then maybe 10 degrees above your nipples, and then at hip level, pulling the handles back while you keep your core tight and legs properly dug in and externally rotated. Without bands, can also do this with some cable machines at the gym, but not all!

Add that all up and its basically a physio routine for strengthening and increasing stamina of weak, hard to hit, parts of your core/hips that mess up your posture and result in bad knees and bad backs

https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Shot-C...ip+circle&psc=1 This is the sling shot hip circle ( a little cheaper here than on his site)

There are a lot more pickup games and leagues where i've just moved, i'm excited to start wrecking people with all the moves I've learned from coach nick on yotube

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 23, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I dunno man the first thing they do is announce they're at a crossfit gym and the second thing they do is have the host flex his arms for the camera

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

I dunno man the first thing they do is announce they're at a crossfit gym and the second thing they do is have the host flex his arms for the camera

Don't sweat it, the blonde guy has a phd or something of that nature and is great at figuring out injury prevention/mobility increasing movements with different equipment. The other guy is the power lifter who came up with the latex free band, and is a good guy generally

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObiXtKM16E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results plus this results for (hip circle routine)

You want to do clamshells, squats, lateral steps, kickbacks, bridges, and since you aren't allergic to latex I recommend going to a trainer at your gym and asking for them to cut off a piece of stretchy tubing band (otherwise you'll need to buy a whole spool for like 50 bucks for just one piece) , tie handles on the end and use it around a pole, above your head at about a 60 degree angle, then maybe 10 degrees above your nipples, and then at hip level, pulling the handles back while you keep your core tight and legs properly dug in and externally rotated. Without bands, can also do this with some cable machines at the gym, but not all!

Add that all up and its basically a physio routine for strengthening and increasing stamina of weak, hard to hit, parts of your core/hips that mess up your posture and result in bad knees and bad backs

https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Shot-C...ip+circle&psc=1 This is the sling shot hip circle ( a little cheaper here than on his site)

There are a lot more pickup games and leagues where i've just moved, i'm excited to start wrecking people with all the moves I've learned from coach nick on yotube

Awesome, thanks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Don't sweat it, the blonde guy has a phd or something of that nature and is great at figuring out injury prevention/mobility increasing movements with different equipment. The other guy is the power lifter who came up with the latex free band, and is a good guy generally

I shall give it a chance

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Over the weekend I played pick up ball for the first time in several years. Some observations: 1) I am old now. 2) My jump-shot is still working. 3) My handles are completely broken. 4) I'm pretty sure my knees said "gently caress YOU!" at one point.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Age is a cruel motherfucker to one's basketball game.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Over the weekend I played pick up ball for the first time in several years. Some observations: 1) I am old now. 2) My jump-shot is still working. 3) My handles are completely broken. 4) I'm pretty sure my knees said "gently caress YOU!" at one point.

I'm always surprised that no matter how long I go from playing, my jumper is still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BIZORT posted:

I'm always surprised that no matter how long I go from playing, my jumper is still there

Unlike me who plays every week and my jumper is never there

• Locked thread