Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

ABOUT THIS GAME

Resident Evil 7 biohazard is the next major entry in the renowned Resident Evil series and sets a new course for the franchise as it leverages its roots and opens the door to a truly terrifying horror experience. A dramatic new shift for the series to first person view in a photorealistic style powered by Capcom’s new RE Engine, Resident Evil 7 delivers an unprecedented level of immersion that brings the thrilling horror up close and personal.

Set in modern day rural America and taking place after the dramatic events of Resident Evil® 6, players experience the terror directly from the first person perspective. Resident Evil 7 embodies the series’ signature gameplay elements of exploration and tense atmosphere that first coined “survival horror” some twenty years ago; meanwhile, a complete refresh of gameplay systems simultaneously propels the survival horror experience to the next level.

WHAT?

Let's try this again:

Three years since she was last seen, Ethan Winters suddenly receives a message from his missing wife, Mia. Her location: the old abandoned Baker farm in Dulvey, Louisiana. A long string of bad rumors and missing persons surround the place, and of course, it all turns out to be true -- the Bakers are still alive, sort of, and everything that can go horribly wrong in a post-Umbrella world has. All Ethan can do now is try to get back out in one piece.

For the main game, we recorded a blind run of the Steam version over the first couple months it was out, with me playing and one co-commentator, Fletcher, watching along on a stream. Most of these videos run about 20-30 minutes. The DLC, also done blind, were recorded off the PS4 version of RE7 Gold and have more variable running times. There is no scarecam bullshit. All of the videos have been recorded and fully edited, so I should be able to get them out at a pretty decent clip.

:siren:PLEASE TAG ANY SPOILERS!:siren: If your spoiler is from any of the DLC, please make a note of that in your post! Thanks!

RE7 features an impressively wide and gruesome variety of body horror imagery, starting almost from the very beginning of the game, and it never really lets up. It's probably best not to watch this around small kids or at work or whatever. Consider this your only warning! It's really gross!

701. Not Our Special Place
702. First Escape
703. Trauma Center
704. Daddy Takes the T-Bird Away
705. Party Tricks
706. Turn, Turn, Turn
707. Pest Control
708. Scissor Dance
709. Second Escape
710. Bee Plot
711. Friendly Fire
712. Pit Fighter
713. Weighing Our Options
714. Menobuzz
715. Spoiled Rotten
716. Neck Deep
717. Zero Escape
718. Home Alone 7
719. Worst Possible Hangover
720. Sequence Break
721. Genocide Jack
722. Third Escape
723. The Forgotten Turnabout
724. Ship War
725. Last Escape
726. Mold Hold
727. Vomitorium
728. Parasite Eveline
Bonus: Bad Ending

D01. Nightmare
D02. Bedroom
D03. Ethan Must Die
D04. 21
D05. Daughters
D06. Jack's 55th Birthday
D07. Not a Hero, Part 1
D08. Not a Hero, Part 2
D09. Not a Hero, Part 3
D10. Not a Hero, Part 4
D11. Not a Hero, Part 5
D12. End of Zoe, Part 1
D13. End of Zoe, Part 2
D14. End of Zoe, Part 3
D15. End of Zoe, Part 4
D16. End of Zoe, Part 5

Bonus: We Play Resident Evil Survivor

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hey, we're back! Sorry to anyone who was watching last year when I first posted this; I have a terrible habit of disconnecting when my stress levels get too high, then getting mortified about it and having trouble getting things back on track. It's served me quite badly over the years but I'm trying to work on it.

Complicating things for getting this LP going again was the fact that about 2/3 of the videos were busted. Upon hitting many of the loading spots in and around the house, it would drop a ton of frames and throw all the audio wildly out of sync. Took forever to sort out. I've done my best to fix it all seamlessly, but if from time to time you notice things looking weird or the game's audio pitch changing (very) slightly, that's why. Don't record with GeForce Experience, kids.

Anyway, all the videos for the main game are completely done now and I've set up a process for future videos that's about a thousand times easier in postprocessing, so I'm expecting things to go much more smoothly from here on out! Also, if you were watching the Witcher 3 Blood & Wine LP, the last four videos of that are up now too.

Enough of that. Let's kick this off with two new videos:

709. Second Escape

710. Bee Plot

We finally reach the guesthouse from that tape Mia made, and it's got an even worse infestation than the basement! I hope you're ready for some insects, 'cause RE7's got insects.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

711. Friendly Fire

Honestly, this sounds like great advice, but alas. Let's get that flamethrower.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

712. Pit Fighter

She did try to warn us. I guess she was just worried about Ethan's safety after all. Thanks, Marguerite! You're a bit cussy but you've got a good heart.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Thanks! It's been really good to finally get this thing out after sitting on it for so long, even if it's not exactly setting the world on fire. Glad you're enjoying it!

713. Weighing Our Options

We rummage through the attic while Marguerite takes a bath.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

We do eventually find out what exactly the deal with that box is, but not until much later. Like, 45-minutes-to-credits later.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

714. Menobuzz

We finally face off against Marguerite in what is possibly the most intense boss fight in the game! It's also stupendously gross.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's playing fine for me both in Chrome and on the Android YT app. Youtube likes to gently caress up in weird ways so maybe it'll just work later? Sorry that I don't have a good answer.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I was waiting for Youtube to announce they finished unfucking everything up, and ... they don't seem to be doing that. New uploads should be fine, but I uploaded these videos a month ago. They said they're reprocessing everything affected, but there's no way to know if mine have been redone yet, and I never got hit by the bug so I have no way to test it. Soooooo. Here's a video! It probably works!

715. Spoiled Rotten

We're now getting into the back half of RE7! (Technically, measured by video length, the halfway point is at about 7:03 in this one.) I guess I should try talking about the game instead of just chucking these videos out and hoping for the best. Here goes:

This attic area is, I think, the first part of the game where the shotgun starts to become viable as the primary weapon. It's useful in that early basement monster rush, but you don't really get enough ammo for it to matter outside of emergencies and it requires some pretty annoying backtracking to even get. The old house's ground floor is just full of insects and it's not very good against anything there. Against Marguerite, it's good if you can connect but she likes to summon a swarm of iron gnat-bees and other fun bugs, meaning you'll probably waste at least one or two shots out of three. Here, the enemies and the ammo finally balance out in its favor, and it feels pretty good! Doesn't quite have the amazing knockback from RE4/5, but against these smaller hordes it's great.

It's not marked as such like in 4-6, but RE7 divides pretty cleanly into a prologue and five acts. With Jack and Marguerite down, we're entering Act 3: Lucas. That boy's a real handful.

The Tales from the Crypt episode I mention is The New Arrival, featuring Zelda Rubinstein from Poltergeist and Twin Peaks. I think it's one of the better ones!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 5, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

716. Neck Deep

This video contains hands down the single nastiest piece of gore in the whole game. You'll know which part I mean. In fact, they had to cut it for Japan, even the Z-rated version. It's not the first time they've had to do that with this series and severed heads, too. That's been an issue going back to RE2 at least.

LucyWanabe posted:

The more I see of this game, the more I appreciate it. I haven't been legit creeped-out by an RE game for a loooong time. Grossed out? Sure. But this is the first one in a while where I actually felt tension and got the creeps.

I would argue this is the scariest one by a long shot. Admittedly I've pretty thoroughly inured myself to horror movies and games so it didn't actually get to me much, but the series has tended to favor execution of scares over buildup, which just escalated over time leading to RE6 having explosions and monsters blasting your face every two minutes or so. It's nice that they finally took a few giant steps back without getting rid of all the spectacle.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 10, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Happy birthday everyone! Here's your present, a deadly escape room!

717. Zero Escape

Hey, remember Clancy, the cameraman from the ghost hunter show? He's back and he's having the time of his life! This is the third installment in The Tale of Clancy, following the Derelict House Footage tape, and a VR demo called Kitchen (which at the time Capcom didn't tell anybody was for RE7). This isn't the last one, either -- we'll be getting plenty more of poor Clancy's misadventures in the DLC.

Also, because it won't let you input the password until you get it, it's impossible to cheat through this tape. I tried.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, even if you wait until the absolute last second to pull the key out of the barrel, it'll change the room to be fully soaked after the clown incident. Sorry, Clance.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

718. Home Alone 7

Hey guys, been crazy busy all week so I haven't had a lot of time to get much of anything done here. Please enjoy this first tentative visit to the Lucas Zone.

The phone call with Lucas was the worst sync problem in the whole game and it sounds like poo poo and I apologize. Don't use GeForce Experience.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

That's what I'd assumed at the time as well, I just failed to identify the source of the trap for some reason. It's not actually hard to avoid at all.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Moving in three weeks. Busy busy busy. Here's a video.

719. Worst Possible Hangover

It's been drifting that way for a while, but since Lucas seems content playing the puppetmaster rather than attacking us directly, we've pretty much transitioned entirely into the Molded becoming our main source of combat. There are only really four types, and though I like them better than the ugly grey blobs that were all over Revelations 1, some more variety would've definitely been appreciated.

This sequence introduces us to the last type of regular enemy, the Fat Molded. It doesn't do a ton of damage, but it's fast, it's got crazy range, and it eats ammo for breakfast. We don't see a ton of them in the main game. There's more in the DLC, and I'm pretty sure we didn't get the attack that I find most distressing on recording until then.

I believe in this one I mention that I've got temporal antialiasing turned off. It does a great job smoothing edges in motion, but if you stand still you see a horrendous jitter all over the screen that's really hard to look at for long. The aliasing is pretty bad with it off, though, with the worst offender being Mia's hair. It's a tradeoff.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

720. Sequence Break

This year's April Fools' gag is on myself, because I forgot to do one. Not really much to say about this video! It's pretty self-explanatory.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Slow trap goes off and then any further attempts lead to Ethan going "No good, I need to find the password", at which point the code will change to a different one (which goes at least three deep from what googling told me after I tried in my own game).

I haven't had a chance to test this, how does it work exactly? Like, you enter 1408 and it goes to code BBBB, but if you put BBBB in first instead does it go to CCCC? If it only lets you try it once it seems like it'd make more sense to just have two codes.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

721. Genocide Jack

Here we go with another boss fight, and I really like this one! It's definitely in the RE4+ mold of "giant mutant weird thing that should be unstoppable but it has an extremely obvious weak point" but it's a very good one of those. By placing the eyeballs all around its body, and placing it in a two-level arena with no real safe spots, it forces you to keep moving all over the place and reassessing where you are, where the monster is, and how you're going to get to whatever side of it you need to be. It's very well designed, tactical but never overwhelming. It's also got some really silly voice clips.

But of course, this leaves us with a CHOICE. If you've ever played a video game or watched a movie before you could probably see this choice coming a mile away. We'll get into it next time.

I'm moving on Monday! Once I get settled in I fully intend to speed things up a lot. Thanks for the patience!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Alright, let's slam this sucker out.

722. Third Escape

So, previously I said the game can be divided into a prologue followed by five acts. So far we've had Act 1: Jack, Act 2: Marguerite, and Act 3: Lucas. Here we change things up a bit and begin Act 4: Mia.

We make a couple of assumptions during the video that aren't really correct (aside from me forgetting Eveline's name and never getting corrected). The first is that, if you pick Zoe, you play as her when you get to the ship. Not so! Mia will just find her way there on her own. For the second, I'm absolutely convinced in the video that based on what happens, you'll go back to Ethan eventually -- not saying whether that part is true or not, but the reason I said that is because we found absolutely no non-key items during this whole stretch. However, it turns out there is a pistol and some ingredients to get a medicine or a clip of ammo before it forces you into the next section.

As for the CHOICE, well ... choosing Mia is canon. In the DLC it shows you in no uncertain terms giving Mia the antidote and I have no idea why they even give you the choice. Choosing Zoe only changes a couple of scenes and it's honestly pretty lame. I'll try to get a video showing them once we're done with the main game but lucky me, my capture card crapped out after I recorded Zoe's version of the boat scene and it may be a bit before I get a new one. I can't promise I'll have it out in time for the end of the main game.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

723. The Forgotten Turnabout

Hey, it's Alan! Remember Alan? .........no?

It's the big Mia flashback! What she was doing, how she ended up in this mess, the whole shebang really. And since it already happened and all, there's not much you're allowed to change, so it's kind of a straight line of corridors if you really look at it.

We do get to test out a couple new weapons though! First is the machine gun, which does gently caress-all for damage but you get a lot of ammo for it. It's mostly good for keeping large groups of enemies at bay while you get something more effective ready.

The second is the remote bombs, which kick rear end. As long as you can get enough time to plant them, which really isn't much at all, they'll take out most of the Molded in one hit and knock the stronger ones down for a good while. They give you tons of 'em for the entire rest of the game, too.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Look, one of those two has a history of going for the chainsaw when she doesn't get what she wants, and it ain't Zoe.

Zoe being a late addition does make a lot of sense when you lay it out like that, huh? I hadn't really considered it that way but it totally fits.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

724. Ship War

Now that Eveline's finally done showing us her home movies, it's time to get to work. The ship is a pretty big departure from the game up to this point -- your goal is to get the elevator running, and aside from a few doors locked with corrosive, you have free rein to go whatever direction you want, whether you found weapons or supplies yet or not. If you don't already know where to go, you can easily run into trouble. Which is exactly what happened.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 8, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Sorry again, everything's continued to be insane and Win10 is doing its best to break every single part of my LP setup with each update. Let's get off this drat ship.

725. Last Escape

Watch in awe as I make exactly the same joke I started video 21 with!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 16, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

726. Mold Hold

Here we finally enter the last area of the game: the salt mines. This is where the game kinda loses me. Aside from the occasional tiny branch with an item in it, they are a straightforward combat tunnel, completely grey everywhere, nothing to make it particularly memorable or interesting. Fortunately there's not much left, but I do wish it made a stronger impression on the way out.

Also, look forward to files! Around the halfway point of the mines, we'll be running into Lucas's exposition dungeon, where it tries to explain everything that's going on while still leaving some wiggle room for sequels.

The game I mention but don't name at the end of the video is Zero Time Dilemma. If you've played it, you know how completely and wonderfully stupid it gets and I won't spoil it here.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

"It's over." "No. You have to post the DLC." "You're right. This is just the beginning..."

727. Vomitorium

728. Parasite Eveline

And that's it! We end the mines with a charge through enemy forces, followed by the most exciting enemy of all: a really big fat guy. Not really much to say there, except that fucker is fast. I did find out in another run that you can absolutely blow off its legs with a remote bomb, but good luck doing it on purpose.

Hope you stocked up at the item box before that fight, because that was the last one! After a bit of a spooky run back through the guesthouse, we fight Eveline herself! It's a big impressive spectacle but there's not really a lot of game to do there -- it's a damage race more than anything else.

Don't go anywhere! We've still got a ton of DLC to do, and it's ... well, it's not all good, but it's all interesting for sure. And I've got all the footage I need of the other ending, just need to piece it together still.

And I loving called it on Grandma being the final boss.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 29, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIy4La-Vk0

As promised, here's the bad ending. A whopping three scenes show any difference at all, and it's just a bit more of a bummer than before. Ah well.

More importantly...

D01. Nightmare

The DLC begins! We begin by filling in the rest of the story everyone was clamoring for: What happened to Clancy? It's a complex, intriguing tale. It begins in the basement, where ... OK, there's not any story here. Clancy's asleep or something and he's dreaming of a survival mode, with craftable items, health upgrades and a slowly accumulating currency. It's actually pretty okay! Please enjoy me flailing around and trying to get my sea legs back.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

D02. Bedroom

Clancy's misadventures continue, as he attempts to leave despite being provided a snug bed and some delicious hot soup. Though really if they wanted him to stay that badly they could've just not set up all these puzzles. Perhaps it's just Eviline Corp. really wanted to be the next Umbrella so they hardcoded that poo poo into the virus.

Also, Marguerite's lipsync is totally busted in this one and I'm not sure why. It's the game, not the video.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Okay, so, basically nobody watched the last video and I'm kinda sick of posting this. So let's speed things up. A lot.

D03. Ethan Must Die

Hey, what if we took RE7 and stuffed an almost impossible roguelike into it? That's pretty much what we have here. I don't even know if there's any decent strategy for it; the item drops are so spread out and so randomized that you're all but totally at its mercy. It's fun if you want to beat your head against something for a bit, but for me it didn't have much staying power.

D04. 21

Get prepared for a heavy dose of Lucas! Clancy's back for his final adventure before burning to death in an escape room and it's ... blackjack. One-suit blackjack. They tried their best to make it interesting but boy howdy does this one go on for too long.

D05. Daughters

This is more what I had been expecting out of the Banned Footage DLCs. We play as Zoe on the day that Eveline and Mia join the Baker family! It goes about as well as you might expect, though maybe a lot faster than you might expect.

D06. Jack's 55th Birthday

We finish up the Banned Footage with this silly little outing. Jack has worked himself up a healthy appetite and just because there are a bunch of Molded partying between him and the chicken in the fireplace is no excuse for you not to get it. Toss in some olde-timey music and you've got yourself a good little time.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Thank you! It's ultimately my own fault for blowing the momentum I had going at the start. At this point I figure the best I can do is just get it all out there and move on. Take your time and I hope you enjoy the rest!

D07. Not a Hero, Part 1
D08. Not a Hero, Part 2
D09. Not a Hero, Part 3
D10. Not a Hero, Part 4
D11. Not a Hero, Part 5

As far as I'm concerned, Not a Hero is the best of the DLC by a long shot. Chris Redfield shows up at the salt mines to take down Lucas and finds himself mired in the usual sorts of poo poo he always does. This mode is a bit more action-heavy than the main game, with really solid new weapons and a really satisfying conditional punch attack. It all feels good, it's paced well, it ... doesn't exactly break new storytelling ground but it stays engaging. It's also no extra charge, so you really can't go wrong here.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm atrocious at commenting on anything I'm watching, so no need to apologize. Thank you so much!

D12. End of Zoe, Part 1
D13. End of Zoe, Part 2
D14. End of Zoe, Part 3
D15. End of Zoe, Part 4
D16. End of Zoe, Part 5

In Which I Say "gently caress" A Lot

I didn't like End of Zoe much at all. A melee-focused expansion is potentially interesting, but the system is dead simple with a whopping two combos, with input latency through the roof. You have to finish enemies off with a QTE or a weapon, meaning fighting even two at once is a coinflip whether you can get anywhere, and three or more? Dead. The level design just makes one choke point after another and it quickly became apparent that I wasn't going to have fun here. It all comes down to how much you enjoy Yellin' Swamp Man and there just really wasn't enough there to make up for two hours of mushy punching.

Anyway, that's Resident Evil 7! Thank you to everyone who watched, everyone who's still watching, everyone who tried it and didn't like it ... basically if you gave it an honest shot, I greatly appreciate it!

I'm still deciding what exactly I'm gonna do next video-wise (I had some ideas, but they didn't work out) but I'm probably not gonna post it to SA, so make sure to check the YT channel, which I just renamed to LV1Thief. For here, I have an SSLP that I'm in the final stages of getting ready, so look for that soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

That's a good summary, yeah. Maybe avoid the card game one entirely.

• Locked thread