Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren::woop::siren: BEISBOL IS BACK :siren::woop::siren:

Because there are a bunch of unsigned good players still...

QO stuff

quote:

- If the team losing the player was not a revenue sharing recipient OR the player signed elsewhere for under 50MM guaranteed, team losing the player gets a pick between rounds 2 and 3 of the 2018 draft.
- If the team losing the player was a revenue sharing recipient AND the player signed elsewhere for more than 50MM guaranteed, team losing the player gets a pick after round 1 of the 2018 draft.
- If the team losing the player was subject to the luxury tax, they get a pick between rounds 4 and 5 of the 2018 draft.

- If the team that signs the player received revenue sharing and didn't exceed the luxury tax threshold, they lose their third highest pick in the 2018 draft.
- If the team that signs the player contributes to revenue sharing but did not exceed the luxury tax threshold, they lose their second highest draft pick in the 2018 draft and 500K in international bonus pool money for the 2018 period.
- If the team that signs the player was subject to the luxury tax, they lose their second and fifth highest draft picks in the 2018 draft and 1MM of international bonus pool money for the 2018 period.

Revenue sharing recipients: Astros, A's, Braves, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Twins
Teams paying luxury tax: Dodgers, Nationals, Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees

GO MAKE DUMB PREDICTIONS AND TOXXES!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah! I hope the Tigers are at least hilariously bad this year and not just depressing bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How many times will Tebow be intentionally bean'd during spring training?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs actually had a restful offseason, so let's win the whole thing again please.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Not enough.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Hopefully zero because that would be a pretty jerk thing to do.

I know we all hate him because lol jesus but the guy actually does seem pretty humble about this whole experience. Actually pretty impressive how well he has done so far considering he didnt play baseball since high school. Transfering from one major league sport to another is pretty much impossible, considering one of the most competitive,athletic and driven sports stars ever failed miserably at it. And tebow is already hitting better than Jordan did.

I think right now his chances of having more than 100 MLB at bats is about 1%, but I would like to see it the same way Steve Delabar was a really cool story till he sucked and PED'd.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 19, 2018

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Tebow was always a pretty quiet guy, it was everyone around him feeding the hype machine. Nothing against him personally, but I hope he flames out spectacularly just to shut people up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs unveiled their new season slogan:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/965572921459552256

Better than "That's Cub" but still not as good as "Let's Go"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tebow seems to be a nice enough guy who has been made into a saint/devil by a bunch of people by no doing of his own.

I have no problem with him and I'm weirdly drawn into this goofy experiment. The idea of an almost 30 year old taking up baseball again is funny, even if I think the Mets are being stupid pretending it's for anything but publicity and taking away an opportunity from a legit prospect.

Still I wonder how other players perceive him and if they won't want a chance to say they bean'd Tebow in Spring Training.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I had a dream that the Astros got back to the World Series and got smoked by the White Sox. I realize this is impossible now, but man 2005 sure did a number on me

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dear Miami-Dade,

Thank you for suing arch-fiend Mr. Jeffrey Loria. If you set up a Go Fund Me to help underwrite your legal team, I will kick in.

Sincerely,
the popes toes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would love to see a major US county set up a go fund me for a legal fund, that would be hilarious

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Tebow seems to be a nice enough guy who has been made into a saint/devil by a bunch of people by no doing of his own.

I have no problem with him and I'm weirdly drawn into this goofy experiment. The idea of an almost 30 year old taking up baseball again is funny, even if I think the Mets are being stupid pretending it's for anything but publicity and taking away an opportunity from a legit prospect.

Still I wonder how other players perceive him and if they won't want a chance to say they bean'd Tebow in Spring Training.

While yes, he got elevated onto a platform, the problem with Tebow is those who elevated him can't separate the fact that he didn't make it because he's really not that good and the fact he's very open about his faith. They think he got removed from the NFL because of open expression*, not because "well, once other teams figured him out, he became terrible."

There's a few other things, like "he should have tried switching roles" etc, but he did want the #1 most visible spot on a rebuilding team: the QB role. So it's not entirely on those who were around him.

*You can also bet your rear end that the people who think this and think people should stand for the anthem makes a perfect venn diagram circle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BSOHL alert: Ken Giles has reported added a bunch of muscle mass in an effort to prevent the end of season swoon he experienced last year

The story didn't specify how much

And yeah, Tebow couldn't even beat out post-butt fumble Mark Sanchez so... We'll always have him making GBS threads all over the Steelers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least this time he is trying something new, I will give him that.

I glad he's not with the Cards though, that's a match made in hell for all of us.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Let’s go the drat Yankees

I need Stanton hitting bombs and staying healthy all year, he’s prone to freak poo poo happening to him

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

While yes, he got elevated onto a platform, the problem with Tebow is those who elevated him can't separate the fact that he didn't make it because he's really not that good and the fact he's very open about his faith. They think he got removed from the NFL because of open expression*, not because "well, once other teams figured him out, he became terrible."

There's a few other things, like "he should have tried switching roles" etc, but he did want the #1 most visible spot on a rebuilding team: the QB role. So it's not entirely on those who were around him.

*You can also bet your rear end that the people who think this and think people should stand for the anthem makes a perfect venn diagram circle.

Isn't really baseball chat but everything I heard from NFL coaches/scouts is Tebow could have been a starting tight end on 15 NFL teams when he was still in the league. Probably could have been a backup QB on a few teams too but he only wanted to be #1.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Let’s go the drat Yankees

I need Stanton hitting bombs and staying healthy all year, he’s prone to freak poo poo happening to him

Who has had more freak poo poo happen to them, though: Stanton or Pham?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Renewed what I think is the best value in sports: 20 bucks for the MLB radio feeds. No blackouts, runs in the background, (usually) better commenters than you get on the TV feed (vastly better for the Braves).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/965620913671634945

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/965623275941449729

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not sure if it was posted in the last thread or not but the Orioles re-signed Tillman.

e. By a matter of seconds :argh:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Is Stanton really gonna be on the Yankees? I thought it was all just an off-season fever dream. The horror.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Der Meister posted:

Is Stanton really gonna be on the Yankees? I thought it was all just an off-season fever dream. The horror.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/965329020270338048

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My bold predictions: Stanton will get freakishly injured yet again somehow and end the season south of 3 WAR, Judge will fall victim to the MLB The Show Curse and have a horrendous sophomore slump, and Wilson Contreras will hit more bombs than Gary Sanchez.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cubs are going to go 72-90, experiencing the first two year World Series drought as everyone underperforms and Kyle Schwarber proves himself a fraud

:colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was also going to boldly predict that Heyward will have his third consecutive sub 100 wRC+ season but I'm not sure stating inevitabilities counts as "bold" or "predictive".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, we didn't really have any expectations of being *good* this year but I don't see how resigning Tillman does anything for our rotation other than having another warm body to throw out every five days. If we wanted another one of those, we have plenty of minor league and Rule 5 dudes who can barely cut it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cubs unveiled their new season slogan:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/965572921459552256

Better than "That's Cub" but still not as good as "Let's Go"

#EverybodyIn is definitely what she said. :haw: Way better than #ThatsCub though.

I can't wait until everyone forgets that Tim Tebow ever existed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pace of play, baby

- 6 mound visits without a pitching change per game, combined between coaches and players (allowing further mound visits after cross-ups is at the umpire’s discretion)
- Pitchers are no longer guaranteed 8 warmup pitches between innings
- Relief pitchers shall leave their bullpen promptly
- Phone lines between the video room and the dugout, with the league office listening in so people don’t steal signs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Artix posted:

I mean, we didn't really have any expectations of being *good* this year but I don't see how resigning Tillman does anything for our rotation other than having another warm body to throw out every five days. If we wanted another one of those, we have plenty of minor league and Rule 5 dudes who can barely cut it.

Cobb and Lance Lynn are still out there and are at least competitive.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What is the point of those rule changes, so Manfred can go full crazy next year when they don't change anything?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pace of play, baby

- 6 mound visits without a pitching change per game, combined between coaches and players (allowing further mound visits after cross-ups is at the umpire’s discretion)
- Pitchers are no longer guaranteed 8 warmup pitches between innings
- Relief pitchers shall leave their bullpen promptly
- Phone lines between the video room and the dugout, with the league office listening in so people don’t steal signs

-So basically nothing changes unless the umpire is an rear end in a top hat. Also umps are absolutely going to lose count between innings, book it.
-This is really dumb and is only going to increase the risk of injury, great idea Manfred!
-jaredhughessprinting.gif
-So what happens if the MLB's NSA wing catches you stealing signs? Does the bomb they left in the phone go off?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Aren’t there already phones between the video room and the dugout...?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Aren’t there already phones between the video room and the dugout...?

MORE PHONE LINES. That’s what it says.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Are there any consequences to any of those new rules? It just seems like "Do these things please!!"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Are there any consequences to any of those new rules? It just seems like "Do these things please!!"

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/965635101055963138

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

mcmagic posted:

Cobb and Lance Lynn are still out there and are at least competitive.

I would love to see us sign Lynn, it would be the first sign all off-season that we're actually trying to go for it this year. But Duquette has said he doesn't want to go more than 3 years on a pitching contract so :suicide:

God I cannot wait until his contract is up and we kick him to the curb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is worth noting that despite being dicked around by the CBA all offseason, the players absolutely scored a victory here by calling Manfred's bluff and refusing to deal. He tried really hard to get the players to endorse the pitch clock in some manner, and that he abandoned it once it became clear he would have to own it alone is fairly telling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The main reason for a billion trips to the mound is sign stealing. They should crack down on sign stealing as well as trips to the mound. It's ponderous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If your signs keep getting stolen then figure out better signs instead of needing to change them on the fly because the password to your luggage is 1-2-3-4

• Locked thread