Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i feel like you guys don’t realize how good jd is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think JDM is really good, but loving lol at even suggesting he's capable of matching Stanton's production

Stanton is two years younger and his ceiling is much higher than JDM's going forward. Stanton can also field pretty capably, which Martinez can't even do

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 20, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't use JDM as we all know in baseball it stands for JD Murders

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

You're really overstating the difference between the two players.

https://twitter.com/producepat/status/965712110813696001

e. Admittedly Martinez has had way more AB's in that span.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 20, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait, the Red Sox signed one of these?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Giancarlo stanton is 3 years younger than JD martinez and can actually play outfield though?

Also arguing about who should be hated more between the Red Sox and the Yankees is like arguing if Stalin or Mussolini were worse.

e: in that neither of them are as bad as hitler (the dodgers)

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 20, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Paul Zuvella posted:

Giancarlo stanton is 3 years younger than JD martinez and can actually play outfield though?

Also arguing about who should be hated more between the Red Sox and the Yankees is like arguing if Stalin or Mussolini were worse.

Does either JDM or Stanton have a rad as gently caress nickname like Il Duce? Because that makes this argument a lot easier.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Does either JDM or Stanton have a rad as gently caress nickname like Il Duce? Because that makes this argument a lot easier.

I'm gonna start calling JDM "VTEC".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

e: in that neither of them are as bad as hitler (the dodgers)

Yeah but my roommate is a Dodgers fan so I am obligated root for them if and when their success does not run counter to that of the Cubs. So I have to hate the East Coast teams instead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Be free of indecisiveness. Hate all teams but your own and the Mariners.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

Be free of indecisiveness. Hate all teams butespecially your own and the Mariners.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Unless you're a Mariners fan in which case both of those things are impossible

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eh I'm not filled with hatred or dread or anything negative for the cubs currently. I'm excited to see what this new, cut lad can do. Likely headed for disappoint but whatever.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Intruder posted:

Unless you're a Mariners fan in which case both of those things are impossible

For M's fans it's "Hate all teams and especially the goddamn Mariners, crushers of dreams and destroyers of hope."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

rickiep00h posted:

Il Duce already played for the Yankees. They had to translate it for the latino players though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Hern%C3%A1ndez

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

As mentioned in an earlier post, I happened to be in Phoenix over the weekend, so I went to Sloan Park to see what the Cubs were doing. Pitchers and catchers is not entertaining - it's slow, it's confusing as to where anything is happening, you can't get close enough to the mounds where they throw bullpens to see anything (at Sloan, anyway), and I missed the players I would have actually wanted to see thanks to the way Sloan's practice fields are laid out (Bryant and Baez took infield like 20 minutes before I got to the field they were on). The only fun part about going to spring training this early was the people watching.

The only cool thing I experienced was a pitcher threw a ball at the backstop I was standing behind to try to scare me because I was texting my friend as they were getting setup for fielding drills (after I cleared out, a small crowd filled right back in so it isn't like I wasn't supposed to be there. I think he just did it for a laugh). It didn't scare me that much but it's the closest I will ever get to having a professional pitcher throw a pitch to me. Technically, he was on the mound when he threw it. Unfortunately, there was a small group so I have no idea who threw it. At least I can tell my kids I got to stand a few feet away from famous Cubs like Alec Mills and Justin Wilson.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 20, 2018

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
gently caress all major league teams for being mainstream pieces of poo poo that are only in it for the money.

The only team I like is an obscure peewee softball team, you probably never heard of them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mr. Fix It posted:

For M's fans it's "Hate all teams and especially the goddamn Mariners, crushers of dreams and destroyers of hope."

:emptyquote:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is the MLB At Bat Premium? I can watch all my Phillies games via family cable logins (since it’s either NBC or ESPN for national games). I also have a VPN so I can get the live look in for the Phillies games.

I just don’t see a reason to drop for MLB TV and if I can just chromecast from my phone, assuming I can use the VPN to get other regional games NBC has on.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you use a VPN you run a real risk of getting your account banned

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you use a VPN you run a real risk of getting your account banned

I thought they were still crappy at VPN detection vs GPS spoofing? Also since it’s $19.99, while it would be annoying it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How is the MLB At Bat Premium? I can watch all my Phillies games via family cable logins (since it’s either NBC or ESPN for national games). I also have a VPN so I can get the live look in for the Phillies games.

I just don’t see a reason to drop for MLB TV and if I can just chromecast from my phone, assuming I can use the VPN to get other regional games NBC has on.

I'm confused, At Bat Premium doesn't give you access to the TV broadcasts, thats MLB TV

At Bat Premium gives you radio broadcasts with no blackouts and some other things in the At Bat app.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here’s the warmup thing specifically.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/965637499803590656

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A doo doo doo, let's fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A doo doo doo, let's fix a problem that doesn't exist.

But the extra three minutes we’ll save are guaranteed to drive up attendance!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

so uh does this cut down on commercial time?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Personally, I loving hate trying to get out of a crowded stadium parking environment at 10:30 PM, but I loving LOVE doing it at 10:22.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm confused, At Bat Premium doesn't give you access to the TV broadcasts, thats MLB TV

At Bat Premium gives you radio broadcasts with no blackouts and some other things in the At Bat app.

I’m just saying that at most I want to get At Bat vs going full tilt MLB TV since I can get the games via cable provider logins (except Spring Training). I’m just wondering if it’s worth it for the radio broadcasts and look in (which is subjected to blackouts and hence possibly using a vpn) and the other features.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m just saying that at most I want to get At Bat vs going full tilt MLB TV since I can get the games via cable provider logins. I’m just wondering if it’s worth it for the radio broadcasts and look in (which is subjected to blackouts and hence possibly using a vpn) and the other features.

Oh yeah, I think it's worth it. I listen to the radio broadcasts at work somedays for day games, or in the car since it way better quality than AM radio.
I think it also gets you a better pitch-by-pitch view in At Bat which is nice.
Also I'm pretty sure the live look-ins aren't blacked out unless they changed it this year. I've always been able to get my White Sox look ins.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Oh yeah, I think it's worth it. I listen to the radio broadcasts at work somedays for day games, or in the car since it way better quality than AM radio.
I think it also gets you a better pitch-by-pitch view in At Bat which is nice.
Also I'm pretty sure the live look-ins aren't blacked out unless they changed it this year. I've always been able to get my White Sox look ins.

Cool that was kind of my thought too. I generally work out of the home, but it would be nice to have an option for when I’m traveling. It’s just usually I’m at a place where I can watch it, but for $19.99, it’s a pretty small price even if it rarely gets used. Plus you get the MLB TV game of the day which is pretty sweet.

The only reason I was concerned about Look In Blackouts was seeing in app (had an image but it won’t post) an * saying it was subject other blackouts and other restrictions.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Rumor mill is churning that the Phils and Arrieta are in serious talks.

Do it Matt, sign him!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Phillies might be a sneaky wild card contender if they can add Arrieta, hell I think they might just outright make it seeing as how half the teams in the NL aren't even trying

Teams with legit chances of winning their divisions decisively: Nats, Cubs, Dodgers
Teams in the wild card hunt: Brewers, Cardinals, Rockies, DBacks
Bubble teams: Phillies (if they add Arrieta), Mets (if they actually stay healthy)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I saw a Tweet that said the Phillies should sign Arrieta this year and then Harper next and it seems...not like a terrible idea.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

the Phillies might be a sneaky wild card contender if they can add Arrieta, hell I think they might just outright make it seeing as how half the teams in the NL aren't even trying

Teams with legit chances of winning their divisions decisively: Nats, Cubs, Dodgers
Teams in the wild card hunt: Brewers, Cardinals, Rockies, DBacks
Bubble teams: Phillies (if they add Arrieta), Mets (if they actually stay healthy)

I would consider the Pirates a bubble team, in that they're on the bubble as to whether they can be called a major league baseball team

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Look at how fat Votto got.

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/965977207981080576

:swoon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

Mets (if they actually stay healthy)

lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw a Tweet that said the Phillies should sign Arrieta this year and then Harper next and it seems...not like a terrible idea.

Agreed, the past couple seasons worth of moves by the Phillies have really demonstrated just how awful of a GM Ruben Amaro really was

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abel Wingnut posted:

i feel like you guys don’t realize how good jd is

JD Martinez is really good, is capable of dingering as much as Stanton, and is the biggest victim of collusion this offseason.

What I'm saying is class consciousness will now fuel even more dingers. :ussr: JD = Just Dialectic

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
My hot take:

Nobody was giving JD Martinez 7/160. Martinez has played more than ~120 games once in his career. He has no defensive value. He's a 31 year old coming off of an extremely career year (in which he played 119 games). Nobody was paying him through his age 37 season. Unless you think he deserved 6/160 which is also insane. JD got a good deal with a good opt out.

Stanton's ridiculous deal was signed after MVP-2 at age 25, if I remember correctly, after 5 years of a 144 OPS+. Stanton has 21 more bWAR and is 2 years younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

They did all the testing. He's definitely fatter.

• Locked thread