Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

On the other hand, Bartolo is clearly in the best shape of his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

JD Martinez is really good, is capable of dingering as much as Stanton, and is the biggest victim of collusion this offseason.

What I'm saying is class consciousness will now fuel even more dingers. :ussr: JD = Just Dialectic

On one hand I feel like there was probably collusion happening this offseason.

On the other hand, I think I saw something like over half the top FAs that were unsigned a couple weeks ago were Boras clients. Like Thom said, given Martinez's age and history it's not really that much of a stretch to say that teams were individually deciding he wasn't worth the asking price.

I also think that players and teams were waiting for Darvish to sign so he could set the market, which isn't really that uncommon either.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I would consider the Pirates a bubble team, in that they're on the bubble as to whether they can be called a major league baseball team

My wife got us opening day tickets around Christmas and since then everything they've done makes me want to shove them back into the kiosk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

People talk about the Angels wasting Trout but I don't ever see much about the injustice being done toward Votto

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

People talk about the Angels wasting Trout but I don't ever see much about the injustice being done toward Votto

1st Place 2010 - 91 wins - 2010 NLDS (swept by Phillies)

1st Place 2012 - 97 wins - 2012 NLDS (lost 3-2 to Giants)

Wild Card 2013 - 90 wins - 2013 NLWC (lost to Pirates)

It's been bad recently for Votto, but they have had some chances.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

For M's fans it's "Hate all teams and especially the goddamn Mariners, crushers of dreams and destroyers of hope."

Forever.

I was five when they started. I'm middle aged now, they haven't made the playoffs since my 20s, and I fully expect to die without seeing a title.

Baseball is so stupid.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arrieta to Philly would be cool for no.more than 4 years

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Scott Boras calls San Diego 'a volcano of hot talent lava'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOFGzEkDr4

A VOLCANO OF HOT TALENT LAVA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Arrieta to Philly would be a fun way of making sure to continue having an albatross contract now that Ryan Howard is off the books

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Rumor mill is churning that the Phils and Arrieta are in serious talks.

Do it Matt, sign him!

The Braves and Mets are hosed if the Phils add Arrieta and still have the money to make an upgrade next off-season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/965948994705920001
ow

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/965954171563401217
This would be cool, though. I'm ok with losing a late third to get a guy that can hold down the #2 or 3 spot in the rotation for a few years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This would be cool, though. I'm ok with losing a late third to get a guy that can hold down the #2 or 3 spot in the rotation for a few years.

That should really be a no-brainer, especially given the Santana situation, and it's really frustrating that it's taking this long to show progress.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

tadashi posted:

The Braves and Mets are hosed if the Phils add Arrieta and still have the money to make an upgrade next off-season.

Braves even with their stingy budget and bad TV deal will have so much cash to work with next year, and by then should also have mostly figured out which pieces stick in the rotation. Dunno how the Phils are really set up for the long term, but I'm not all that worried about Arrieta too far beyond this next season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Jay-Hey was always an above average player based on everything but his bat, but teams look at him and dream of super dinger power. So they continually gently caress with his swing to try to get him to bombs
I realize I'm late to this, but the dude hit .277/.393/.456 in 623 PA at age 20. His 134 wRC+ that year was the 16th highest of any player in a season aged 20 or younger. Its basically the same season Bryce Harper put up at age 20. This is the reason Heyward has always been viewed with such upside, because it is so rare and difficult for players to hit that well that young.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
His defense has also been elite. Age 23-25 he had three seasons of .350 OBP or higher, which is good! Unfortunately his power has fluctuated so much from season to season and his OBP skills have seemed to disappear.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

the popes toes posted:

Scott Boras calls San Diego 'a volcano of hot talent lava'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOFGzEkDr4

A VOLCANO OF HOT TALENT LAVA

That must make the Braves’ Yellowstone then.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

so uh does this cut down on commercial time?

The timer was always 2:00. I don’t think so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My hot take:

Nobody was giving JD Martinez 7/160. Martinez has played more than ~120 games once in his career. He has no defensive value. He's a 31 year old coming off of an extremely career year (in which he played 119 games). Nobody was paying him through his age 37 season. Unless you think he deserved 6/160 which is also insane. JD got a good deal with a good opt out.

Stanton's ridiculous deal was signed after MVP-2 at age 25, if I remember correctly, after 5 years of a 144 OPS+. Stanton has 21 more bWAR and is 2 years younger.

I mean, right, if one is paying like any attention it's pretty obvious there's a ton of red flags towards giving a huge guaranteed contract to someone like JD. The biggest one being that throwing huge contracts at someone like JD hasn't worked out very well in recent history.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

I realize I'm late to this, but the dude hit .277/.393/.456 in 623 PA at age 20. His 134 wRC+ that year was the 16th highest of any player in a season aged 20 or younger. Its basically the same season Bryce Harper put up at age 20. This is the reason Heyward has always been viewed with such upside, because it is so rare and difficult for players to hit that well that young.

Yeah and he continued to hit well up (maybe not 130+ OPS+ elite, but well above average) until the Cubs irreparably broke him. How did he walk so much his first year and then nothing close since?

Also

N: https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/966074731295158272

V: My man.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Billy Eppler is from the Cashman school of GMing, no surprise he’s all about Dingers Only

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Carlosologist posted:

Billy Eppler is from the Cashman school of GMing, no surprise he’s all about Dingers Only

Is this like FarmersOnly but for unsigned power hitters who can't play defense

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good Dog posted:

Yeah and he continued to hit well up (maybe not 130+ OPS+ elite, but well above average) until the Cubs irreparably broke him. How did he walk so much his first year and then nothing close since?

Some coach yelling at him to put the ball in play between swigs of whiskey and puffs of cigar smoke

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Good Dog posted:

Also

N: https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/966074731295158272

V: My man.

This sounds like something Pat Burrell would say in Gyroball's heroic epics.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm getting mixed signals here. Are we on the Heyward train of "Trying to hit a bunch of dingers fucks your swing up" or the Eppler train of "Hit dingers e'ry day"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/RobertMurrayFRS/status/966090499974189056

prelude to an Archer trade? I doubt it but the Yankees do move quietly

https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/966093271217750022

a three team deal! I like the addition of Drury, he can play 2B and 3B, where there happens to be vacancies

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 21, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

I'm getting mixed signals here. Are we on the Heyward train of "Trying to hit a bunch of dingers fucks your swing up" or the Eppler train of "Hit dingers e'ry day"

All things considered, Heyward probably should’ve been a cricketer, where his defensive range and throwing arm would be appreciated while at the stumps he could hit fours all day.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertMurrayFRS/status/966090499974189056

prelude to an Archer trade? I doubt it but the Yankees do move quietly

https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/966093271217750022

a three team deal! I like the addition of Drury, he can play 2B and 3B, where there happens to be vacancies

Why are all these Florida teams bending over backwards to make the Yankees better?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what the gently caress do the Rays have any players left

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/mikeaxisa/status/966097007990509568

this seems bad

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

It is!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Carlosologist posted:

The Angels are lowering their RF wall from 18' high to 8' high. :getin:

The Yankees now have the Judge and the Drury.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if Mark Teixeira was still playing, we'd also have the Texecutioner

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Luigi Thirty posted:

You have diet Buxton still I think?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Steven Souza was a Yankee Killer ™ so good loving riddance.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah if I was the Yankees I would definitely be worried about Steve Souza in 2018. "Woulda had a ring if it weren't for that darn Souza!", they'll say

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/966106078122528769

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
He's a .268/.360/.488 hitter against the Yankees lifetime so yeah, good riddance.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Good Dog posted:

The Angels are lowering their RF wall from 18' high to 8' high. :getin:

I suppose some office guys did the historical work and concluded, "Yup, this will help us way more than visiting teams," but I'd love to see the data arguing the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the popes toes posted:

I suppose some office guys did the historical work and concluded, "Yup, this will help us way more than visiting teams," but I'd love to see the data arguing the case.
more Ohtani dingers = good

• Locked thread