Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DBDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD put me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

What do you think has been the most genuinely humorous jokephase post so far?

Hello Lumpen, greatest mafia player

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hmmmm I am looking at AA and he seem alright to me, going to dig into the cases on him

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Also what jerk is giving out post restrictions, I hate post restrictions

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tolly Totes posted:

I think it's rather telling that every new player thinks this is a bad idea and the ones who actually like this chain of thought are older players

Telling of what exactly?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

You cute little Hal you! Ohhhhh Hal!!!! I’m glad we are playing mafia again together!!!!!!!

:shepface:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

I don't like this post. KB hasn't actually explained why he voted MMT and my initial thought was "what's his case, exactly?" Opop trying to piggy back off of something that doesn't exist is weird.

##vote RF

Also susp of Lando, and wanting to hear from Lumpen about what his logic here is.

Yeah that post bothered me too. I haven’t read much of the game from before I got here other than AA, but RF is definitely someone who has pinged me from what I’ve seen so far

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Tolly can't have anything to say that's damning.

I'm town, so a N0 cop claim would quickly be revealed as a terrible scum gambit as soon as I flip.

She can't have seen me do anything N0, since I have no N0 action.

She can claim that I'm playing the same way here as I did the last game (where we were scum together) but that's a meta argument and also wrong.

I don't really like when anyone feels the need to offer (multiple!) defenses before the case/claim has even been made. It would have been better (but still kinda bad) to just have said "Tolly can't have anything on me" but feeling the need to preemptively offer defenses for any possibility screams self-conscious.

##vote Tobbs

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

No way, really?

I'm not going to fullclaim yet but I have a dayvig that kills humans and doesn't kill hosts. Quid is town.

I wanted to shoot someone who

(a) was probably scum, but
(b) if town, would be useful to have confirmed, and
(c) is someone I have trouble reading

I really did think that Quid was scum, but I figured worst case scenario is that he's confirmed town (at least to me) and I could move on and look for stronger suspects. I also considered Merk, Lumpen, and KB but of the four thought Quid was most likely to be scum.

I thought about a whole bunch of ways to play this (like asking everyone to name their top three scumreads) but ehhhh I hate organizing stuff like that. If people think I'm lying or played that scummy, feel free to call me out on it.

I believe you MMT

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

You answered your own question earlier. Because it clears herself and another and she might not get another chance.

This is another way that RF is weirding me out. I think of him as someone who has a pretty good handle on setups and mafia theory even if he isn't paying all that much attention to the thread. MMT explained her reasons for using it pretty clearly right after she did it, and even if she hasn't it isn't that crazy to use that power right away especially if you are someone who has a fair risk of dying early in the game for meta reasons like MMT does and RF knows that.

And the whole lack of comprehension that host/human can be both an alignment and also a trait and those can be mutually exclusive is strange to me. It's not just RF doing that, but I also think that is something that shouldn't confuse him too much.

I guess I can't say if that makes him extra lazy town or intentionally obtuse scum but it seems out of character for him.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Feel free to assume anything I do this game is a gut read based on tone or meta until I spell something out because I think it is important.

Did you decide on this new approach before or after the game started?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

He's been talking about it since FF7.

You can probably blame me :)

I thought so but I wanted to make sure

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE COWBOYS GONE

DOOT DOO DOO
DOOT DOO DOO
DOOT DOO DOO
DOOT DOO DOO

This is a long day 1.

It's long indeed but it has made people post more content so that is cool.

Did you drop your PR?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

##vote AS

I am concerned about MMT as 3p because of the way she string claimed.

Just the one-shot part or was there some other bit she left out? I wouldn’t have said that in my initial claim either. She only added on when asked to shoot someone else, which she didn’t have to respond to I guess but I don’t really see why you think that’s more 3rd party than town

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

So why'd she claim that she has no more shots? The only town justification, which I now agree with after thinking about it more even though I don't do that myself, would be if she's lying.

Ha guess I could have previewed. I would assume there is at least a decent chance she is lying

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

Is there any reason not to believe that merk and lumpen are scumbros making up this PR? Like maaaybe they have one but

(a) they’re definitely not keeping it up with every post and
(b) Lumpen trying to claim that PR = host sounds hilariously self-serving to me

Hmmm I agree that they aren't keeping it up with every post and that is strange which is why I asked merk if he dropped it before. However we don't know what the PR is other than merk has to appear overly friendly and maybe Lumpen has to be self-deprecating (unless I missed some specifics someplace) and maybe they only need to keep it up in half their posts or some such nonsense. Too many unknowns to really speculate.

But flavor-wise PRs (FTs?) being forced on only hosts makes obvious sense.

I dunno I can't see merk and lumpen of all people deciding to gambit PRs and I think we have established at this point that being a HOST and being HOST-aligned aren't necessarily the same and it wouldn't even be a very effective gambit if the idea was to clear themselves

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm driving to Albuquerque for most of the day today so I will probably find a more effective spot than Tobbs to leave my vote in a bit in case I can't get back to the thread in time. I still have bad feelings on Tobbs but mostly it's lingering from my distaste from him being so self-defensive early on. Since then his posting has been alright, not super townie but nothing else he has done has jumped out at me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

Hey Hal, who is scum, bud? That whole post is unhelpful WIFOMing about a PR.

I wouldn't say it was entirely unhelpful. I'm collecting my scum thoughts now.

Your points on Gridlocked are decent but there is enough earnest newbie stuff in there that I think he's town feeling his way around. Doesn't feel forced-scum at all.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dancer posted:

Am I right in assuming MMT is currently one of the more trusted people we have? My prefered vote is, as before, snail, but I do find that merk seems unnecessarily aggro (and has been becoming more-so with time). Of particular note is his eagerness to go ham on MMT.

That can be explained as eagerness to avoid a no-lynch, but it's also a bit suspect. I'd be willing to vote merk.

Lumpen is just weird and I don't know how I should read him.

B-minus is on the inactive side, but I don't consider that the things he says are suspect.

So, having said that ##vote merk.

Don't much like this post, it actually feels like a forced leadup to vote merk.

Like why not vote snail (or keep voting snail if you were) if that is your preferred vote? Merk being "aggro" swayed you that much?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

Assume any of my posts in the next few hours are phoneposts.

What are people’s thoughts on Dead Cows? The post (s)he made throwing shade on AA for changing his mind on me seems like it couldn’t possibly have come from town.

Yeah it does seem like AA's post she quoted was the sort you'd pick out as scum as a starting point for making a throwaway case to appear engaged. It's not like AA's response would even be very revealing about his alignment

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you would like to take a look at this classic even though it's no good...

Lumpen's Infallible Scumtellidex
    That Reveals Scums Every Time
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• lurking
  • lying
  • excusing oneself from the thread "I won't be here for X time I have to X"
  • excusing oneself from deadline "I won't be here for deadline so I might as well ##vote: XXX"
  • mysteriously not being around for deadline without explanation
  • awkwardly defending people
  • emptyposting irrelevant content or general mafia tips
  • rephrasing the ideas of others
  • asking questions of players rather than putting forth opinions
  • hedging by arguing for both sides of an issue
  • reluctance to give concrete suspicions
  • linguistic slipups
  • overdefensiveness
  • overemotionality
  • sucking up
  • voting on someone other than the lynch-leaders close to deadline
  • ending the day with no vote
  • promising "more later" about something and then never getting back to it
  • self-imposed gimmicky post restrictions
  • third or fourth vote on a d1 bandwagon
  • hammering (depending on timing, but especially if it cuts off a claim opportunity)

This list is incredibly long and some part of it could probably almost every player at some point in every game.

Lumpen, I'm trying to look past your PR and look for you casing people like I know you do as town and I am having a hard time finding much other than a little on Tolly, am I missing something? You seem to be more of your distracting scum Lumpen to me this game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I guess you did sorta case AA as well Lumpen but it was a pretty limp "too self-conscious" without any real follow up that I can see

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Hal, I'm pretty sure you've seen the Scumtellidex before several times. I'm proud to debut a new final bullet point, by the way!
Here it is:
  • arguing about Lumpen’s Infallible Scumtellidex That Catches Scum Every Time

If you're being sincere in this critique of saying I'm "distancing", then please state who you think am I "distancing" from? I would expect you could say Tolly or AA based on my posts, maybe Atomic Soda. I will make a pact with you to vote your choice (or anyone in my Supposably Scummy spots, for that matter) with you and ride it as far as you do. Your critique strikes me as insincere though, I have to say.

I actually said DISTRACTING not distancing. Like distracting me with your scumidex and your misreads of what I said rather than overpowering me with your autistic casing...

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I don't think Lumpen is an ill-intentioned player here. His play looks like the limited experience I've had with them in the past.

I think Lumpen is putting down a lot of noise, but he doesn't seem to be trying to obfuscate the current play and his reads come across as sincere even if they are weak, IMO.

Where as Gridlocked looks to be a momentum rider who really hasn't been following the thread too closely for developing cases.

##vote Gridlocked

Would vote Snail if there's enough there for that.

DC is also kind of strange, but I'm in the air about DC.

Yeah ok I would vote this guy for this weak post ##vote AA

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

What about that one post specifically when I've addressed the points on there previously?

I didn't consider your earlier points because I just found the whole tone of that post phony. I'll look them over after but regardless that post itself is scummy.

First I don't see how someone can be putting down a lot of noise without trying to obfuscate as you say, and I think saying someone has weak but sincere reads is just like double hedging in one read (especially from a player like Lumpen who isn't really known for weak reads).

I completely disagree that Gridlocked has seemed scummy and I don't think that one vote being out of place can possibly be the most compelling read you can find in this game.

Then you wrap up with a total hedge non-call on DC that I don't even know why you felt like you had to include unless it was to jump off of later

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

At this point, the vote by Gridlocked is an example of this very thing they claimed I was doing.

They posted a vote on me, not long after DGK 3 IRL days ago, and their post history is fluff and mostly one-line responses to things.

I'm going to look at Grodlocked again but I think there are a few good posts in the their history and you aren't really giving those any credit

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Are you coming to visit me? ;-*

Ha, I am in ABQ/Santa Fe/Taos areas pretty regularly so I'll totally come visit you sometime if that is where you are

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dead Cow posted:

I'm still not convinced that his pr wasn't self induced, but no one seemed to care when I quoted that.

I like you dead cow but when people don’t trust other people I get mad. And when I get mad people get hurt

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I explained it in a post day 1 when someone else asked. I saw the pm after having already made a couple posts.

I think you met your requirements. Too bad, I would have enjoyed seeing you pay the price

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to see DGK bleed today. Nothing would give me more pleasure than the pain on his face when he meets his reckoning

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Hal, have your settings been manipulated in the night?

Someone has done something and I would enjoy seeing them suffer for it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DGK2000 posted:

##vote DGK

Merk is doing exactly what I said. I'm done playing so just loving lynch me then look at Merk and Lumpen

This makes me sad.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

drat I hope DGK is burning in hell now

But I still love him

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lol yikes. Take a breather dgk. It was all gravy man.

Would vote Lumpen for being an rear end

Pfffft Lumpen once told someone they were faking their cat dying to get an edge in a game. This was pretty tame

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Eh, I'm too dumb for subtlety

##vote Hal

I'm a joat of sorts, tracked him to the kill.

Real talk, someone grabbed me from behind last night and said that Westworld thing (violent pleasures lead to violent deeds or whatever) and made me kill someone

So you probably did track me but it wasn’t of my own volition

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

I got injected last night :sadpeanut:

What'd you do the first two nights?

I had no N0 action, N1 I visited Atomic Soda but I’m not saying more about that right now

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Were you forced to kill Gridlocked specifically or just forced to "kill someone" and it was your choice?

I didn’t have any say in it and I didn’t know I killed gridlock until AA said he tracked me. I took the flavor in my PM to mean I was going to have to kill someone the next night originally. It was clear that I had no say in who it was though

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Hal is the vote tonight pending some really convincing argument about how he was tracked to the kill (so far I'm not buying it). ##vote Hal

Ummm ok there isn’t going to be any other argument because I WAS tracked to the kill but whatever

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm not too sure I agree with the logic that someone's suspicions on D1 are going to reliably predict who they'll track on N2 (after a shortened D2) but I'm curious to hear what AA has to say., when most of the people on that list had flipped or were investigated.

It's interesting to me that Lumpen came to the conclusion that AA might be the suspicious one who forced you to kill (which I'd expect of a town player), but that you just accepted that AA is telling the truth instead of accusing him of being the one who controlled you.

I did think of that after but I’m also on vacation and out with family so I am not putting a lot of thought in. Also that would be a pretty ballsy move by AA so it isn’t the first place I went with it. He’d have to know he’d be in a tough spot after my flip and it is pretty early for a gambit like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

Imagine you are a Scum JOAT or Scum with a 1-shot "Puppetmaster" nightkill. Would it really be that ballsy to play it out just like this? Who would you control and how would you go about framing them up before they showed up to tell the thread "hey guys I was controlled last night to do a kill"... Not really that ballsy... and I wouldn't expect that anyone got whispered to N1.

I could be wrong, but I have a pretty strong gut feeling about this scenario.

Yeah that’s fair. Again I haven’t had time to really think things through I just saw his claim and figured I needed to say what happened before things went too far. I’m going back to my dinner but I’ll post more tonight. If I have to die for this so be it, but at least you’ll know what’s up going forward

• Locked thread