Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Grandpa, tell me again the story about how you got your Barret Brand Gun-arm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Ceremonial hot tub? :five:

Hey gramps! I'm gonna get to make shooty things to kill the bads! :haw:

AJ_Impy posted:

It went great, Grandpa! 'Extremely well suited!' Gonna be a Gunsmith just like them! Only... why do I have to leave to do it? Why is it so important to separate parents from children?

"Congratulations kid!"

"They say they send the kids of crafters off to make them more independent by the time they're done, but it's really so famous crafting families don't completely control their industries. They'd have probably made you do somethin' else if they didn't need guns so much.

Xarbala posted:

"How long do you think this apprenticeship period is going to last? Did you have to go through one yourself?"

"Not like yours, but I guess you can say I did. Did I ever tell ya I was a high priest? We elves were blessed by the gods back in those days 'cause we could tap into their divine powah!

"I was especially sensitive to the divine so by the time I was your age I'd already been training for a decade and still had two more to go. Hated every minute of it, but once I was done I was THE BOSS!

"Yer lucky, they only make you work for some jerk five years before you get to go out on your own.

nothing to seehere posted:

Another Dragon! How common are Dragons in the Dark lands!

"Not many. Too many.

"The Dark Lord has to grow them from these special lizards; really, really big lizards, but it doesn't always work. Most of them only grow into drakes, they're smaller and dumb. Dragons are the smart ones, they lead his armies.

"The big reason we lost so much ground to him over the years was those scaly bastards," suddenly, the anger that had been steadily growing within him since he started talking about dragons disappeared and a wicked smile appeared on his face, "But now we can shoot them outta the sky! And with 'Krusha's guns! She's a hero now! Yer parents're gonna be busy a long time now that their guns killed a dragon."

MinutePirateBug posted:

Grandpa what is best in life?

"When yer in charge and no one can tell ya what to do. If some dumbass thinks he can just because he thinks he knows better or is used to being the boss where he's from, just remind him why YOU are in charge."

Crazycryodude posted:

Grandpa, do I poop?

No need to ask anyone that. You know you do, you just did this morning while getting ready to take the last of your tests. If you'd been spending weeks without pooping you'd have probably asked your parents to take you to the doctor's office.

AJ_Impy posted:

Can I get you a sacred oblation to Skaldr? Milk, sugar?

"Just had one, there's some left in the kitchen. Might've cooled a bit."

Slaan posted:

What do I do if my new town gets attacked by monsters?

"Fight. Learn to use those noisemakers yer makin'. Let me tell ya one thing though, there's no shame in forcing others to run away if it'll save their lives. There wouldn't be any orcs on this side of the border if I hadn't given that order. There'd be more if those old fools hadn't forgotten who was in charge and could still hear the gods even though the corruption was taking hold."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Grandpa, did you really used to eat dandelions?

"Nothing better than wine made with 'em, at least before the war. Being touched by the corruption threw my sense of taste outta whack."

Nyaa posted:

Grandpa, tell me again the story about how you got your Barret Brand Gun-arm!

"That bulky thing? Bought it a few months ago off one of their gunsmiths. Doesn't fire right and jams constantly, I'd rather have my hand free than crammed up that piece of garbage.

"I was going to ask your parents if they could get it working right, but yer welcome to take it apart before they get back."

Do you want to examine the gun?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Of course

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

super sweet best pal posted:

"That bulky thing? Bought it a few months ago off one of their gunsmiths. Doesn't fire right and jams constantly, I'd rather have my hand free than crammed up that piece of garbage.

"I was going to ask your parents if they could get it working right, but yer welcome to take it apart before they get back."

Do you want to examine the gun?

Hell yes.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Heck yea!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

ABSOLUTELY can do a recon run through.

Ask Gramps to help catalogue the bits and bobs as we remove them for later assembly to see how this doodad was supposed to work.

Hey granddad? any Logo ideas? give you a percentage

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Ask Gramps to help catalogue the bits and bobs as we remove them for later assembly to see how this doodad was supposed to work.

"Sure, let me get changed and I'll help you out."

Blasphemaster posted:

Hey granddad? any Logo ideas? give you a percentage

He shrugged, "Just pick somethin' people'll recognize. Ask yer parents when they get back."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Can gramps tell us a thing or two about the invention and early adoption of the gun?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Grandpa, teach us how to holy bless the weapon

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Grandpa, when your daughter Gitkrusha first adopted the way of the gunsmith, what did you think at the time?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Hey Grandpa,

"How goes the War?"

"Tell me about our armies?"

"Tell me of our enemies armies?"

"Tell me about our heroes and generals?"

"Tell me about our enemies heroes and generals?"

"How powerful is magic?"

"Tell me about our Kingdom?"

"Tell me about our enemies Kingdom?"

"Zug Zug?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Grandpa, what's it like being as awesome as you are?

Grandpa is awesome.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Grandpa is awesome.

Truth.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Grandpa, can you tell me the story about how you ripped that warchief's spine out his rear end in a top hat? I want to hear it one last time before I leave.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shogeton posted:

Can gramps tell us a thing or two about the invention and early adoption of the gun?

"Some dwarf up in the mountains discovered an explosive powder a bit ago, but for a long time we were just packing the stuff into pots and setting 'em on fire; then one day someone figured out how to shoot 'em out a tube without it blowing up in their hand."

Nyaa posted:

Grandpa, teach us how to holy bless the weapon

"It's a lot like enchanting but instead of doing it yerself, you ask the gods to do it for you.

"First, you gotta be pious. They won't help if you forgot to say yer prayers or've done somethin' they hate.
"Next, you need to go to a shrine and make a holy symbol on a piece of what you're working on. Leatherworkers usually just take a brand and burn the cauldron symbol of Skaldr onto boiled leather; that's why so many warriors choose leather over heavier plate, it's basically been blessed twice. Those guns you'll work on, you should ask Ellipsia, goddess of geometry. Any basic shape'll do, just do a good job etching it.
"Then just say a quick prayer and done. You need to take especially good care of whatever you bless until someone buys it and never sell a blessed thing to someone unworthy of it. You'll know.

CourValant posted:

Hey Grandpa,

"How goes the War?"

"Pretty good for once. Heroes killed a few of the Dark Lord's generals and reclaimed their dominions. It'll be a few years before the priests finish purifying them though. Then there's a dead dragon that didn't cost thousands of lives to slay."

CourValant posted:

"Tell me about our armies?"

"Tell me of our enemies armies?"

"Tell me about our heroes and generals?"

"Tell me about our enemies heroes and generals?"

"Tell me about our Kingdom?"

"Tell me about our enemies Kingdom?"

"You should pay more attention in your social studies class."

CourValant posted:

"How powerful is magic?"

Pretty powerful. Elves were more in-tune than most but we weren't as good as the fairies. Fairies did it the best before they turned into trolls from the corruption.

CourValant posted:

"Zug Zug?"[/b]

"Yeah, yeah."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Grandpa is awesome.

He just laughs at your praise.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Grandpa, can you tell me the story about how you ripped that warchief's spine out his rear end in a top hat? I want to hear it one last time before I leave.

"It was about 20 years after the homeland fell. I'd been leading a patrol near the border when an army came over the horizon. We were outnumbered ten to one but before they could attack, their leader stopped them and pointed right at me.

"'Mundrin,' he shouted at me, using my old elven name, 'Coward! Fool! How dare you flee your home! How dare you reject the Dark Lord's gift! If you hadn't rejected my wisdom the Dark Lord would consider us his greatest subjects! Come and face me!'

"I didn't recognize him but I knew who he was instantly, an old mentor of mine back when I was still training for the priesthood. Disagreed a lot, thought he was a short-sighted fool but I didn't know how right I was until the invasion.

"As I was saying, he stopped his army and stepped forward to throw insults at me and after that demanded I fight him personally. I decided that since there was no way out this time, they were faster than us and quickly cut off our escape. I figured since that old fool decided to paint a target on himself I might as well make sure the Dark Lord had one less leader in charge of his army.

"He may have been stronger, steeped in the magicks of the Dark Lord, but I'd spent the past couple decades training to fight. Used the momentum from his charge to pick him up and slam his face into the ground. That's why they call me Edsplitta. I didn't stop there, grabbed my mace and kept bashing him before he could recover. Then, after he was too stunned to react to anything I could do, I lashed out and punctured his flesh with my bare hand, dug deep into his lower back and took hold of his spine and then with every ounce of my strength I pulled as hard as I could.

"His army was so terrified they scattered and I took the advantage to order my troops to hunt down and kill as many as they could catch. After that we started seeing fewer and fewer orcs on the battlefield, the Dark Lord apparently deemed them unfit for the front lines and changed his army. We see more werebeast scouting parties and armies composed of wights, which are humans turned by overexposure to corruption."

And with his story over he wanders off to the guestroom.

Next update in the morning sometime.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think we should have a gun design drawing by goon at some point.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What did the Dwarves, Unicorns and Halflings turn into? There are just too many kinds of corrupted to keep track of!

Are any corrupted particularly resistant to bullets and explosives? Anything I could do to fix it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Did any other corrupted types besides Orcs make it out to join the good guys?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Regarding the advancement of firearms tech in-game: Are we looking at 1850's/1860's breach loaders and such? Lever action? Bolt action? Semi-auto? Wrapped cartridges? Shell casings?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
People still asking questions to a retreating backside.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

As much as you wanted to continue asking grandpa about the past and the war, he was getting tired of talking; also, if you didn't stop now, you wouldn't have time to look at the gun before your parents got back and the shop would be too busy.

One of the advantages of living out on the edge of town was cheap available land to build on (and one of the big disadvantages was the long walk to the nearest carriage stop), an enterprising crafter had more than enough room to build a shop on a vacant plot of land next to their home, work until they were ready to collapse and stumble back home to bed. Then, once the business took off, you had plenty of room to expand the shop. Your parents had done just that a couple years ago, expanding the floor space to allow for work on experimental cannons and installing a garage to keep the guns from being rained or snowed on when they were loading up the cart to deliver them to their store in town.

You always loved entering the shop, the smell of metalwork and gunpowder always cheered you up, no matter how bad your day had been. You felt kind of sad for a moment, you wouldn't be seeing this place again for a long time and by the time you did it would be completely different. That feeling passed quickly as you put on your safety gear, your parents always stressed the value of wearing proper protection in the shop, they'd met too many fellow gunsmiths at trade shows who were scarred from accidents while building guns.

You had a few minutes before grandpa came out to help, what did you do until then?

A.

You wanted to take a look at it first.

B.

Your parents had already been building another Dragonkilla; you saw the first one they shipped out but you wanted to take another look at one now that they were proven to work.

C.

The latest side project your parents were working on was a design they'd bought from an inventor at a trade show: guns that fired tiny rockets instead of bullets.

D.

Your mother's apprentice, a troll named Myrtle Frostdew, was at the shipping desk out in the garage, looking bored. Maybe she'd like to talk.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's C some rockets

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
You can never have a Big enough gun.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
d Fancy a rut luv?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

MinutePirateBug posted:

d Fancy a rut luv?

Vote: D

Zug Zug!!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

Vote: D

Zug Zug!!

Oh please no.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Vote C. Let's be on the cutting edge of being an Orcish arms dealer. Rockets Rule.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

OfChristandMen posted:

Vote C. Let's be on the cutting edge of being an Orcish arms dealer. Rockets Rule.

Aren't Gyrojet firearms more or less an evolutionary dead end?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Tell that to the Godwin Pattern Bolter in Warhammer 40k

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CourValant posted:

Hexenritter posted:

Right. This is a fantasy setting so the actual science will be about as accurate as technology in a procedural crime drama.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

super sweet best pal posted:

Right. This is a fantasy setting so the actual science will be about as accurate as technology in a procedural crime drama.

Enhance! Magnify!! Zug Zug!!! :ocelot: :)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Hey Zoggins," Myrtle calls out, "you out playing in the shop again?"

You say that you came out to help grandpa see what's wrong with his gun arm but you wanted to get another look at the big gun first now that the design is famous for dragon slaying.

"Ok then, try not to make a mess, your parents are going to be busy with it as soon as they get back."

You make your way over to where the weapon is being assembled.

A ton of work has gone into making this thing and a ton of materials as well, your parents sunk a lot of money into the shop's infrastructure to build these things. A bigger mill was needed to bore the barrels and a crane system was needed to move and assemble the parts.

In the end, it had all paid off, they had already sold the first one to a rich colonel a few months ago and by the sound of things he'd probably be coming back to buy more.

It was too late to get a final look at the individual pieces of the machine again and there was no way you could take this thing apart the way you usually do when you're learning about your parents' guns. It was just too big and needed the various cranes and scaffolding built into the shop's heavy machine section to hold the parts together while they were being fitted and sealed. If you wanted to better understand how this was made you'd have to satisfy your curiosity by going over the plans.

You'd never actually paid much attention to the blueprints for your parents' weapons before, preferring to get all your knowledge hands-on, but you'd seen the pieces often enough that you can get a sense of the actual physical sizes represented by the numbers on the diagrams. You resolve to go over more of their blueprints before you leave for your apprenticeship in a few weeks.

+0 Precision - Again, this attribute is already capped, it can't be raised further unless you dedicate actual training to it.
Skills unlocked:
Artillery: Knowledgeable
*You know some of the basics behind heavy guns
Family Business
*You have a lot of memories of your parents' designs and some knowledge of the specifications they're built to. You could probably reproduce the designs with enough practice.

That was a fun and educational handful of minutes but now it was time to get back to why you were here and take a look at that...

*scratch* *scratch*

A noise coming from above the gun suddenly distracts you.

There's a rat up in the ceiling, chewing on one of the hoist ropes. If the crane drops the gun, it might take months to find and fix all the damage.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 1, 2018

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Rat I will spare your life, if you grant me wishes, or conveniently help in a task when I am captured by Baba Yaga and she has us do some silly impossible task like sorting huge piles of different grain kernels.

Or just try and secure the gun and shoo away the rat.

Or have rat kabab with a nice side of lamb vindaloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Befriend the rat