Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know what? I could've worded that better, but I think i prefer the way it's being interpreted. Changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ABG

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

1 How did you pass the time? Vote for any of these

B You decided to explore the basement a bit further (lets see if we can find a weapon)
C. You peeked outside to make sure the coast was clear (where you at wolfie?)

2 Everyone's luggage was stored down here for the night, you opened your suitcase and got something out.

E. A prayer book full of common supplication to the five gods (lets lead a prayer circle)

Decided I had time to get an update out if I cut the trip update in half and posted the first part. Still busy this week, just not quite as busy as I thought I'd be.

:wave: Glad things are going well!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

AEG

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BEF

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
BCE

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

ABF

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
ABDF

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Update tomorrow, sorry for the delay. Voting's closed.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Update tomorrow, sorry for the delay. Voting's closed.

:toot:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Editing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

After you calmed down from the adrenaline rush of being yanked out of bed and running for your life, you decide the best thing to do would be exploring the basement and then kill some time chatting while you wait for the all clear.

"I'm going to look around, see if there's anything we can use." The others agree, it wouldn't hurt, but beyond the luggage there's not very much down here, just a large and heavy crate. No secret escape routes or weapon stockpiles nor is there anything else that'd be useful in a werewolf attack. Everyone decides the best course of action would be to shove the crate in front of the basement door and hope it slows the werewolf long enough for the guards to chase it down the stairs should it wander down.

As you all struggle to push, the box barely moves under your combined strength. After about a minute of this, one of the other kids suggests maybe removing some of the junk from the box and then trying again.

You recognized him from school, though you'd never really hung out with him; Marten Stoat, the son of a family of mink farmers who supplied fur for winter coats worn by the kingdom's elite and warriors traveling in colder mountain climes. On the train he'd boasted about passing the warrior exam because he'd had unusually high magic aptitude, even though before the exams he told the class he'd been practicing for leatherworking.

"Good call, Weasel," replied Lucy Gorespraya, calling him by the nickname he'd gotten after bringing one of his family's minks to school once. Lucy had been the other kid from your class who'd become a warrior candidate, which was surprising since she was also half-Orcish like you were.

So you opened the lid of the box, which turned out to be full of table settings for holidays and started removing things, until you saw them.

Silver candlesticks! And you'd thought this room didn't have any weapons to fight the werewolf. Everyone knew the effectiveness of silver against werebeasts, and werewolves were especially weak to it. No one knew why this was, but it made silver popular among citizens who lived closer to the boarder. You all grabbed a candlestick, everyone feeling a bit more comfortable having something resembling a weapon to fight the wolf.

Once the box was lightened, moved and refilled you decided it was safe enough to relax a bit and take your mind off the monster lurking somewhere outside. Feeling the religious fervor that comes in a dire situation you open up your trunk and grab the prayer book your parents had given you. It was just a cheap copy put together by some apprentice bookbinder - "The words are what counts," as your mother told you - and it was crudely embossed with simple drawings of the gods' symbols.

The Token, Symbol of Blessinya, goddess of small favors.

The Notes, Symbol of Cakafka, god of sound.

A circle, one of the many Symbols of Ellipsia, goddess of geometry.

The Campfire Pot, the variant of Scalder's Symbol that was favored by travelers.

...That's odd, whoever made this book forgot to peel off the grid after they finished embossing the symbol of the fifth god, whose name escapes you right now. Weird, why had no one noticed it was still on the book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:11tea: "Have they gone mad? We need everyone at full strength if we want to beat this Dark Lord."

:sax: "Silence Scaldr. We cannot go against their decision any more than they if we'd decided the same."

:greatgift: "It is a grand thing they do, the memory of who they were will be forgotten, erased from history, supplanted by who they will become."

:11tea: "Their holy ground will become inert and be absorbed by the Corruption. Warriors will have fewer places of refuge."

:hydrogen: "This will also break the circle on the Dark Lord's rituals, one of the five Anathema will be rendered inert, unable to remain as an antithesis to the divine."

:11tea: "I pray to whoever they become that this doesn't lead to our downfall."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fragile Gods style deity creation rules. 1d100 on Orokos, winner gets to pick a name, symbol and sphere of influence for the 5th member of the pantheon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No matter, you can peel it off in a minute. Right now the important thing is to help boost everyone's spirits. You turn to Cakafka's section of the book and look for a prayer your grandpa told you to say whenever you were being hunted.

~Litany of Silence~

"Let not the unworthy hear the sound of my breath
Let not the unworthy hear the beat of my heart
Let no other sense betray the secret sound
Let no twig's snap announce my presence
Lest they silence me forever."

A simple prayer but it eases some of the tension. As you finish you notice a strange energy fill the room.

Do you try to touch it? Corruption 0/250

You know from what your grandfather told you you'd need to purify yourself beyond the baseline before you could try and that half-elves weren't able to interact with it anyway. Lucy seemed to notice it as well and was trying unsuccessfully to touch it.

Now that things have calmed down and everyone seems grateful for the prayer you decide to talk about your upcoming apprenticeship to break the ice, acting like it was a certainty, that nothing was lurking above you to keep you from it.

"Yeah, going to learn how to make guns, chose to learn from some guy who makes 'em accurate. My dad said he's a bastard but he said that about all my choices."

The next person to speak up was an apprentice jeweler, Bil Billinson. You didn't know him that well, he'd come down from one of the smaller mining villages up in the mountains of the the northern desert. "My mother told me to study hard so I wouldn't be stuck in the mines like she was, I'd expect'd to get a blacksmith apprenticeship but it turn'd I had a knack for ring settin's. Just glad t' be leavin' the place but I think I'd might be gettin' rich with this."

"Big deal," responded Gunther Mireskimmer, a jerk of a human you'd known from school. You mostly avoided him, he'd tried to get you to join his "gang" (basically just a few rude kids who ditched school all the time) but gave up after the school track meet a couple years ago where you embarrassed yourself in every event. "I managed to pass a couple tests, now I've got an easy job making books while I join a real gang in the big city."

"Surprised you didn't make the cut for Warrior," Marten replied, "the way you were always picking fights with everyone."

"You kidding," Gunther responded, "I bombed those on purpose. Only an idiot would cross the border." Marten and Lucy both glared at him and he decided to shut up.

A half-dwarven girl, Esmeralda Forgewright, spoke up about her apothecary apprenticeship, breaking the awkward silence, "I didn't ask to be a chemist," she said, lamenting her apothecary apprenticeship, "I've seen what happens to the Warriors who get addicted to the combat drugs. They say it's better than the Corruption but I don't like it. I didn't want to dispute their ruling though, it can take months or even years to get reassigned to a different trade. My brother tried a few years ago because he didn't like guns, his case is still in appeal."

Again, awkward silence.

The last to speak was Brad Moonglow, a troll who you considered a friend. "Yeah man, like I was saying on the train, got the baking apprenticeship, going to be making rations. Can't wait to get started, wish we could leave."

Feel free to talk to everyone

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Nice Old Lady, Holder of Wisps.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ninkina, Goddess of Communities

Her Symbol is a Beerhall: 1d100 88

Her temples are beerhalls, her sacred grounds are public squares/parks and she just loves people getting together for fun activities and general sociality

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Engoddification: 1d100 26

Everyone, ever had any experience of stuff like this before?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fragile Gods style deity creation rules. 1d100 on Orokos, winner gets to pick a name, symbol and sphere of influence for the 5th member of the pantheon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nope: 1d100 24

Feel free to talk to everyone

Hey everyone . . .

"Where is everybody headed for their apprenticeship?"

"How long are your apprenticeships?"

"We should all make an effort to stay in touch with each other!"

"Do we get paid as an apprentice?"

"Has anyone heard any rumors of the war?"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hey warriors, make sure to look me up in a few years. I'll make sure to give you quality guns at-cost, ok? Only the best for The Best, ok?

That said, what do you think you'll want in a personal sidearm? Stopping power, portability, low price & maintenance costs?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slaan posted:

That said, what do you think you'll want in a personal sidearm? Stopping power, portability, low price & maintenance costs?

The answer is Yes. Also, a large magazine, and Death Blossom mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSEJTtWADM

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So do we have to actually injure werewolves with the silver, or can we just touch them with it? I forget how that works.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

>> "Where is everybody headed for their apprenticeship?"

Most of you were going to Goatsbridge, the new capital that had been built after the old one fell 40 years ago. Lucy and Marten weren't, they were going on to the military academy at Foghills.

"Hey, southeast in the high-town," Brad replies, talking about the Orobica district, "come visit sometime, Z."

Bill responds, "Gonna be there too, by the docks. Rich kids love jewelry so the shop's near them."

"I'm going to be at a pharmacy up in the Verata district on the north side," Esme replies.

"I'm down in Tauernsheck, over by the university," Gunther says, surprisingly forthcoming, "Stop by and I'll give you a discount on my rejects."

>> "How long are your apprenticeships?"

The apprenticeships are standardized, so you should all be done with training in five years. At the end you're expected to build something that demonstrates the culmination of your skills. Some trades have it easier than others.

>> "We should all make an effort to stay in touch with each other!"

Everyone agrees more or less.

>> "Do we get paid as an apprentice?"

You are given a small monthly stipend. Fortunately, your food and lodgings are taken care of by the master who is training you so you're free to spend it on whatever you want.

"They'd better pay," Gunther responds, "I've heard some of 'em try to charge apprentices for failed poo poo that doesn't sell. They try that on me they'll be sorry."

>> "Has anyone heard any rumors of the war?"

Bil speaks up, dramatically, "Heard rumors they're asking for more and more metals, but they've shift'd the goal away from iron; they've been demanding a lotta gold 'n silver and more 'n more ore for copper alloys. They're up t' somethin' an' I pray it works."

Lucy replies in a more matter-of-fact tone, "All I know is they've been talking about the push to reclaim fallen areas. I overheard our guards say something about how they need to take Wulfton. You know, where the werebeasts are grown."

Right now the idea of fewer creatures like the one outside sounded pretty good.

>> "Everyone, ever had any experience of stuff like this before?"

Everyone responds negatively. Monsters rarely show up as far north as where you live, aside from the rat you saw a couple weeks ago.

>> Hey warriors, make sure to look me up in a few years. I'll make sure to give you quality guns at-cost, ok? Only the best for The Best, ok?

"Yeah, that sounds cool," Lucy replies.

Marten seems more apprehensive. "I'm going to be concentrating on magic and self-defense but I guess I could give it a shot.

>> That said, what do you think you'll want in a personal sidearm? Stopping power, portability, low price & maintenance costs?

They don't seem to understand the question. Salesmanship 5 You notice their confusion and decide to go through the finer points of each gun attribute, explaining each in more detail. Having some example weapons to look at would help but they do seem more receptive to the idea of having guns.

>> So do we have to actually injure werewolves with the silver, or can we just touch them with it? I forget how that works.

You actually have no idea how it works and hope you don't have to find out until much later. No one else seems to know the specifics either.

Nyaa posted:

Nice Old Lady, Holder of Wisps.

You idly peel off the grid. If you were learning how to work leather for armor or books and had some experience you'd think it odd that they'd engrave the book leather instead of using a stamp, but you're not. Odd that you'd forgotten the Nice Old Lady until now; she's the goddess who manages their divine servants, sending them to the aid of those in need

Her shrines in the church are heavily decorated with tacky figurines of the gods' servants that old people seem to like.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Odd that you'd forgotten the Nice Old Lady until now; she's the goddess who manages their divine servants, sending them to the aid of those in need

Her shrines in the church are heavily decorated with tacky figurines of the gods' servants that old people seem to like.

Huh. Well, we could use some of that 'divine aid' right now.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hey Nice Old Lady there's an awful ruffian trying ruin our wholesome fun! FORSHAME!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Your faith in Nice Old Lady increases with age! :eng101:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The next few hours were tense, at one point you heard a scraping sound from upstairs but then it stopped. Everything was silent past then. Eventually there was a knock on the basement door. "You kids down there," said a familiar voice from the other side.

One of your guards. The werewolf didn't get him.

"Ok, let us move this junk outta the way," Lucy replied.

"Glad it didn't find you, it tore up the bar room and the common sleeping area," He looks at the crate for a second, "That wouldn't have held for very long, beast'd break the top of the door and crawl right over.

"I'm not sure why it didn't come down here, guess someone up there was lookin' out for you. Come on, the thing tore up the railroad tracks before we took it down, we've got coaches to catch."

Only about four hours of sleep. As much as you wanted to chat with Esmeralda, you spent most of the trip napping. Fortunately your dreams this time were pleasant and consisted of tiny cherubs running around your workshop cleaning everything. Corruption: -1/250 Sanctity 1

At one point you woke up and saw forest giving way to plains before falling back asleep. The next thing you know, Esme is jabbing you in the ribs. "Hey, wake up, we're almost there. Check it out."

Horribly innacurate map of Goatsbridge

You've finally arrived in Goatsbridge, capital city of the kingdom, home to countless nobles, merchants, craftsmen, clergy, scholars, laborers, soldiers, mages and other assorted peoples. You'd thought your hometown was big but this is on another scale entirely.

Your route takes you through the edge of the central island, Pantheon's Mass, where the palace is as well as the cathedral of Goatbridge See, through the edge of the central island and across the Noring bridge to the Verata district. Significantly more ornate than the other bridges, Baron Noring had constructed it 40 years ago to meet the rising demand caused by the influx of refugees after the old capital fell. Your guard helpfully points out all the landmarks for you. You say your goodbyes to Esme, who heads off into a ramshackle pharmacy in a run-down neighborhood right next to the railroad tracks.

It's evening by the time you finally get to the Saanen district in the northeast.

"Last stop," the guard says, "Good luck with your training, you can take the ferry down to the market in Stiefelgeiss if you want to do some shopping or you can catch a carriage to the other districts."

You pull your trunk off the top of the coach and head inside the store.

~End of Prologue~

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 26, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Corruption: -1/250 Sanctity 1

This I like.

Potential this means we can become 'ascendant' like Grandpa.

You pull your trunk off the top of the coach and head inside the store.

~End of Prologue~

Sweet.

Cue the aspect ratio switch to 21:9 as the camera pulls out to show a panoramic shot of Goatsbridge twinkling in the fading sunset.

Faintly Witcher-esque music soars as birds fly through the scene.

Drop in the Title Card.

Super Sweet Best Pal Proudly Presents:

Close up on the Palace

A Wrong Vote Productions

Cut to a panning shot of the ferry and marketplace

"A Shop . . .

Close-up scanning shot of a row of finely crafted flintlocks, focusing on the area around the striker mechanism.

. . . On the Frontier"

LOTR style forward 'flying' shot, starting from a forward operating base, across a recent battlefield, towards the enemies mountain base of power!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We brought our personal firearm named matilda we've been working on to build/ customize from scratch under our parent's guidance, right? Need a nice special item to upgrade as the game goes along to show our prowess

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slaan posted:

We brought our personal firearm named matilda we've been working on to build/ customize from scratch under our parent's guidance, right? Need a nice special item to upgrade as the game goes along to show our prowess

We shall call her 'Waltzing Matilda' and ask our enemies to 'watch how she dances'.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Slaan posted:

Not yet. Your parents had decided you were still too young to own a dangerous weapon. Now you've got an opportunity to build Matilda.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Not yet. Your parents had decided you were still too young to own a dangerous weapon. Now you've got an opportunity to build Matilda.

Curse our parents and their blasted "responsibility"! :argh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

"DaaaAAaaaad...."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saanen, the warehouse district of Goatsbridge, where shipments from the east and north are unloaded and stored. A few of the city's more prominent craftspeople run shops out of this district to resupply materials as fast as possible.

You find yourself impressed at the size of the shop; it's far bigger than your parents' workshop, even after they built it up for the Dragonkillas, but what really stands out is the adjacent storefront. A sign above the entrance to the store proudly displays the name Lord Ward's Rifle Emporium and you find it kind of strange to see it connected to the workshop instead of in the city's market district like your parents' was.

You enter the store, dragging your trunk behind you. Looking around, you see dozens of long rifles with spyglasses attached lining the racks. Your parents had worked on a few scoped guns in their time but the bulk of their inventory had been more suited for mid-ranged combat, but what really stands out compared to your family's is how ornate they are.

Etched and inlaid with ornate designs of gold, silver and pearl. Perciward might be known among manufacturers and marksmen for the range and accuracy of his guns, but what makes him famous among the general public are the ornate patterns covering the guns.

As you admire the designs, you hear shouting coming through the door to the workshop "-a disgrace to my business and a failure of a gunsmith!" "Watch your tone old man, the examiner was impressed with my weapon's design and its effectiveness." "It looks like an infant got at it with a chisel and when I fired it, it hit the target OFF CENTER!" "It's perfectly serviceable for anyone who doesn't use bullets to light matches at 2000 yards and..."

An angry young man who you assume was Percival's last apprentice storms into the store and takes one look at you before shouting, "Hey you old jackass, your next victim's here!"

Great, there goes any hope you might have had about starting off on the right foot with your new master.

An old man enters from the workshop and scowls at you. "Well, what took you so long," he asks, "You were supposed to be here days ago. Do you realize how busy I am?"

You say it wasn't your fault, the trains were delayed because of problems with the tracks.

He nodded and replied, "Those drat things are always getting delayed. Costing me time and money.

"Very well, allow me to introduce myself. As you already know, I am Lord Percival P. Perciward; don't bother introducing yourself, I read the papers on you and don't really give a drat. My official title is the Baron of Tallowfields, the region a few miles east of the current city border. Here is my business card in case you forget."

He hands you a blank white rectangle of card stock. You look at it confused for a second before he realizes it's blank and takes it back. "Sorry," he says, "been so busy lately I haven't had time to emboss the new ones yet."

Pulling an embossing tool out of his pocket, he quickly enters his name and title on the card and surrounds them with an ornate pattern before pulling out a calligraphy pen and inking the embossed area.

Shrewdness 2 It's impressive how quickly he was able to do that and you wonder how busy he must be if he can't afford to spend a few minutes signing all his business cards.

The former apprentice sticks his head back through the front door of the shop, "Did he do the business card trick yet? He pulls that one on everyone he meets, trying to show off his skill and play up how little time he has. You'd have more time if you didn't reject 90% of your guns over some minor detail!"

"I told you to leave! Get out before I use you to demonstrate the merchandise!"

You feel slightly embarrassed at having fallen for the trick, but you can't deny how effective it was at showing off his skill.

"Now, if I'm ever needed on urgent business," He continues as though nothing had happened, "I'll be at one of these other two addresses. The first of every month I'll be at the palace performing my duties as a member of the peerage. Just send a messenger to my office and I'll deal with it as soon as Parliament adjourns. The first weekend of every month, or the second if my session in Parliament falls on the first weekend, I will be at my Castle over in Tallowfield making sure my magistrates have done their duties acceptably and performing range tests on my rifles. We'll be closed but you'll be expected to stay here and listen for anyone at the door. You will be free to use any of the equipment you want on that weekend unsupervised, just don't complain if you accidentally chop your hand off and if you should somehow burn it down, you had better hope you go with it, understand?"

You reply affirmatively.

"Since we're not as busy as we could be right now, you'll be free to spend the rest of the weekends doing whatever you please as long as you're out of my way. The rest of the time you'll be assisting with simple tasks I feel you are capable of doing. For now you will be expected to learn to assemble firearms, prepare parts for me to work on, carve designs into the wood and etch the metals, deliver my purchase orders to the warehouses and make sure they're accurate. There will be a clerk the first year of your training, you will also be expected to watch how the store is run and take over those duties as well. Go into the shop and I'll close up here.

------------------------------------

You enter the workshop and wait for Lord Percy to come in. The size of the shop is impressive, stations for every stage of the gunmaking process, which felt different than the few multi-use workbenches your parents had.

Lord Percy followed you in, "Ok let's head on over to the repair station and see what you can do. The papers said you were good at assembly but I'll believe it when I see it."

You head on over and see an old flintlock rifle lying on the table. You'd never actually seen one of these up close before, cartridge rounds had superseded them decades ago and these days few people still used them.

"Some hunter brought this in yesterday, said it was his dad's and he'd like it repaired. Couldn't sell him on a newer gun, too much sentimental value in this one. I've got replacement parts all ready for it, your job is to take it apart and put those in."

Speed 5, Precision 4 You quickly disassemble the gun. You may be unfamiliar with some of the parts but still have very little trouble doing it. Percy compliments you on your time, then he takes one look inside the barrel and tells you not to bother cleaning it.

"Just as I thought, his old man never took proper care of it and the sulfur from the powder residue has eaten most of the metal. Take the lock and barrel out and put the new ones in."

You do so, all the while being yelled at not to damage the firing mechanisms. He seems pleased at how quickly you managed to do it. "Let's see how it fires," he says, "Outside, don't want the smoke from this old thing fouling up the shop."

You step out into the low evening light and into the yard. Lord Perciward loads the rifle, takes aim at a bottle on the other side of the yard and fires.

A perfect shot. "Easy, you did good kid. Go set up another bottle while I clean this thing." You do so and come back. "Ok, your turn," he says.

Weakness: Precision You know this won't end well but you take aim anyway. Your shot goes wild and hits the back wall, nowhere near the can.

"Terrible! That was the worst shot I've ever seen. Why do they send me such horrible apprentices? We are going to practice until you get it right. Clean the gun and get one of the good rifles."

Back inside you spend the rest of the evening in the shop's firing range shooting at targets. "Focus, you need to pay attention to what you're doing," Percy shouts, "I built these to hit exactly where the reticle on the scope says it does."

Precision uncapped: 4/5 You finally start getting it. More and more of your shots hit start hitting the target.

"Good. Slow down and do it again until you get better. Take your time and line up the shots. (Why must these novices be so bad?)"

Eventually, one of your bullets hits the center. "Good, that's enough for tonight. Your room is above the store, door on the left."

You slept for most of the day but you're still exhausted from everything that's happened, so you're looking forward to a good night's sleep.

-----------------------------

You manage to fall asleep quickly despite it being the least comfortable bed you'd ever used. The next morning you get up, pull a fresh set of clothes out of your trunk and clean up with the wash basin on the dresser in your closet. Downstairs, a man behind the counter smiles at you.

"Ah, hello. You must be the new apprentice, I'm the Baron's personal secretary, Jacko; that's spelled with a 'J', even though it sounds like 'Y'. I'm here to help tend to the shop until you learn how to do it. Please hurry, the master's mail gets so backed up every month whenever I'm stuck here. Go hurry and eat breakfast, he'll be arriving any minute to start work."

You grab some food from the icebox in the back room, By the time you're done with breakfast, Lord Perciward has returned to the shop. You spend the next few days cleaning the shop and doing light maintenance work on guns

Question time with the boss and his secretary

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 31, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

You rifles are renowned for their accuracy, sir. Do you have to make special ammo to make them so accurate?

Who are the primary customers of your business? The army, nobles, police?

Will I be needed to help with your Parliamentary and Noble work as well?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What do you think of my parents Dragonkillas? Neat guns arn't they?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

For the boss:
You very obviously take great pride in your work, but what do the ornate designs on guns contribute besides style? Would it not be more efficient to keep producing weapons of the same technical quality, but produce more with the time saved by skipping fancy designs?

Do you believe the firearm has the potential to become a common weapon against the forces of evil, or will they always be niche? What challenges do you see to the widespread adoption of firearms?

For the clerk:
Find a quiet moment when the master is out of earshot and ask his opinion on working here

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 31, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

What was the maximum accurate range was your best creation?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Over the next few days you spend time learning how to do basic tasks, asking questions as you go. Percival seems annoyed at times but he remarks that his old apprentice never asked enough questions and took forever to learn.

Slaan posted:

You rifles are renowned for their accuracy, sir. Do you have to make special ammo to make them so accurate?

"Sometimes. I try to build them so they work well with standard ammunition because warriors probably won't be able to access specialty rounds in the field and soldiers definitely won't, but I have tried a few experimental ammunition designs in my day. Every couple years when the big gun trade expo starts I'm always being asked to test the latest designs since my approval carries weight in the gun design community.

"I bore my rifles to the commonly used calibers I've personally approved and then in the House of Lords I push legislature that forces the military to use those standards. For now I'm going to contract the parts for most of the ammunition I'll carry to the smiths and alchemists in town and you'll assemble them. In a couple years you'll be making them yourself."

Slaan posted:

Who are the primary customers of your business? The army, nobles, police?

"Do I look like I have time to keep track of every person who walks through the door? All I care is they're funding my work."

Later you ask Jacko the same question. "Mostly bored rich merchants looking to take up hunting, a few of the better off warriors tend to stop by as well. The nobility usually don't come up here, but we move a lot of product with them when we set up a stall at the fair in the summer.

"Don't tell anyone I told you this, but what usually happens is he'll use his political connections to offload most of the old stuff onto the military or the city watch at a discount. He gets paid, they take credit for outfitting the snipers with quality weapons at bargain prices."

Slaan posted:

Will I be needed to help with your Parliamentary and Noble work as well?

"You're here to learn my trade, not my duty. If you want to waste your time, you're welcome to come with me to the castle and watch when I have something I plan to say."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What do you think of my parents Dragonkillas? Neat guns arn't they?

"I'm not into heavy artillery but I suppose they're effective. Bit of a waste of resources, a well placed shot would do just fine."

Crazycryodude posted:

For the boss:
You very obviously take great pride in your work, but what do the ornate designs on guns contribute besides style? Would it not be more efficient to keep producing weapons of the same technical quality, but produce more with the time saved by skipping fancy designs?

He seems genuinely offended. "Would you ask a painter to forego capturing the details of a garden because you only wanted a picture of the house? These guns are works of art themselves, true, but they are also a canvas for my talent and their adornment a declaration of their work.

"Did you come here to master the gunsmith's art or not? if you wanted to make cheap sticks that shoot lead you'd have signed on with someone who makes them. But yes, they can serve other purposes, mages often use precious metals to channel magic and the devout of Ellipsia often favor long, flowing designs on their weapons."

Crazycryodude posted:

Do you believe the firearm has the potential to become a common weapon against the forces of evil, or will they always be niche? What challenges do you see to the widespread adoption of firearms?

"It is already happening. They are getting better and more people are growing up used to the idea of them. The real problem is the market's been flooded with cheap crap from Huckster Trade Co. and their poorly trained gunsmiths. It's the same in every industry, the Huck family somehow has their former pupils continue to supply them with goods and they somehow make millions selling them practically at cost. If I cared I'd have someone look into it."

Blasphemaster posted:

What was the maximum accurate range was your best creation?

"Hit dead center at about 2500 yards once, didn't penetrate the target too far though. I try not to dwell on the past; I believe my best is still ahead of me."

Crazycryodude posted:

For the clerk:
Find a quiet moment when the master is out of earshot and ask his opinion on working here

"Imagine you had a job vital to the affairs of state. Imagine that for one fifth of your career, you were taken away from that job and asked to do work that could be done by anyone who could count because your boss says it's more important and he trusts no one else with it. Imagine you had to spend a good deal of your wages renting a dingy apartment instead of the lavish palace you're accustomed to living in for free. Now imagine your regular duties are piling up back home and you've got less than two days to get through a month's worth, not enough time to make the kind of value judgement you usually do. Get the idea?"

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

"I'm not into heavy artillery but I suppose they're effective. Bit of a waste of resources, a well placed shot would do just fine."
Has anyone ever taken out a dragon with a well placed shot?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ralith posted:

Has anyone ever taken out a dragon with a well placed shot?

"Not that I can think of, but it's possible."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You continue spending the week polishing and sanding parts, assembling guns, clumsily following along templates for engravings and etchings, applying the etching acids (while wearing protective gear, of course) and then neutralizing them after the process is complete, cleaning the store and watching Percy and Jacko deal with customers. It's hard at first and you're slowly starting to learn, though Percy frequently berates you for minor imperfections. Finally the weekend arrives and you're free to take some time off. You consider what you should do.

You've have one free weekend before the end of the month. How will you use it? Each option takes half a day.
A. Get in some extra practice.
Aa. Try working on some cast-off parts, get them serviceable.
Ab. Try engraving designs into cast-off metal and wood or coating metal for etching.
Ac. Spend some more time watching business transactions.
B. Visit one of your friends. Who? Your first visit won't be very long since you don't know the exact locations of most of the businesses they're at.
C. Go shopping. You have enough money to buy one thing
Ca. 1 year membership at a gym - Allows you to train in speed and strength in future breaks.
Cb. Stationary set - Percy won't let you use his. Practice drawing designs to decorate guns, write letters and any other things you can think for a pen and paper. Practicing art will help improve your precision and talent.
Cc. Reference materials - Books on gun design, basic science, art, history and other topics. . Gunther said he was working for a book manufacturer near the University, maybe you could buy some of his failures at a discount.
Cd. Attend an auction at the market - Bid on some random thing that catches your eye. The experience will also benefit your shrewdness.
Ce. Luxury goods. Stuff that will help your morale. A less terrible bed would cost two months' worth of money, but there are smaller things you could buy right now.
D. Attend church - Gain favor with the gods, learn more about the faith and cleanse any corruption.
E. Explore the town, Choose a district from the list below. D will be limited to the Cathedral.
F. Relax in your room, though it's hardly comfortable on the bed and your only entertainment is a single gun magazine and a book of prayers.
G. Practice shooting at the shop's firing range. Percy considers your lack of skill with the products you're helping make an embarrassment and has told you that having a feel for how rifles work is vital for making them.

Personal inventory:
Photograph of your parents
Prayer book
[1x reference materials] - Gun Magazine
Several changes of plain clothes that fit
You have [1] monthly stipend. - You have enough for any trips around the city, plus one major purchase.
Bedroom furniture: Plain Bed, Small Bookshelf, Dresser, Table & Chair, Oil Lamp

Stamina: 3/6
Speed: 5/6
Precision: 4/5 [exp: 2/10]
Talent: 4/6 [exp: 1/7]
Creativity: 2/8 [exp: 1/4]
Shrewdness: 2/6 [exp: 1/6]
Salesmanship: 5/6 [exp: 1/7]
Sanctity: 1

Skills and Knowledge:
Maintenance: Novice
Artistry: Novice
Chemistry: Basic knowledge
Heavy Artillery: Basic knowledge
Long Ranged Arms: Basic knowledge
Shopkeeping: Basic knowledge
Family Business

Districts:
A - Verata: A low rent district on the northwest side of the city. There are many inns near the rail station in this part of town but locals tend to avoid living here if they can afford it thanks to the noise from the trains and the smell from the city's dump and cesspool in the very northwest corner.
B - Girgentana: The commoners' district. Most of the general population lives here.
C - Saanen: Warehouses and factories. A few crafters have set up shop here as well, Master Percival being one of them.
D - Pantheon's Mass: Formerly the site of a monastery and the manor of the Noring family, now the headquarters of the government and the church.
1 - The Grand Cathedral: One of the few parts of the island open to the general public.
2 - Goatsbridge castle: Built up around Lord Noring's manor.
3 - The courthouse: One of the other public areas of the island.
E - The Stretch: A section of the island open for public transit across the river. The public entrance to the courthouse is here.
F - Kamori: The military district. The first defense against invasion from the west.
G - Barbari: The nobles' district. The representatives of the noble houses live here; apartments assigned to the members of the House of Commons are here as well.
H - Tauernsheck: The university. Dedicated to the advancement of arts, sciences and magics.
I - Beetal: The market district. The hub of trade for the town. All manner of goods can be bought here, though most commoners buy their food and other day to day goods at stores in Girgentana.
J - Orobica: Home to the town's upper class.
K - Oberhasli: A slum outside the town wall. Originally built to house field workers and servants of poorer Orobicans unable to afford housing for their servants, it was taken over by criminals a decade ago.
L - Angora: The park. Flanked by the wealthy and the nobility and holiday events are often held there.

You have friends in the city:
Esmeralda - Verata (A1)
Bil - Beetal, exact location unknown (I?)
Brad - Orobica, exact location unknown (J?)
Gunther - Tauernsheck, exact location unknown (H?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ac B Cc Ef Find Gunther, have a nice chat, buy some of the books his master has (not that Gunther has had time to make many). Friends are important, so are books - especially if we're not allowed to read Percy's

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 3, 2018