Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Voting closed...

Butt Discussin posted:

Magic! or Fuel and Combustion if that's the tiebreaker

Hmm, I think if I counted sheep-dodger's for slime it was ahead by one, but both of you had some ambivalence between magic and one of the lead choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Nah," you reply, "I'm working with metals, I don't want to hear things by someone who don't know their stuff. Let's go to this one, it pays almost as much and has a higher rating."

"Tch, whatever," Gunther replies, "I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'll still have enough of a buffer for when he charges me next week."

You head into the classroom listed on the card.

It's a small classroom with a few people in it. A human woman walks in wearing a thick leather apron and rubber gloves, she's pushing a cart containing a projection lantern, several cards, a vial full of goo you assume is a slime and some powders and solvents. "Hello," she says with a matter-of-fact attitude, "I'm Ms. Pinelake, though soon I'll have everyone calling me Dr. Pinelake, once I teach a few more classes and have my thesis approved."

Class roll: 1d3 3
Decent success! More information unlocked!

"Ok, what does anyone know about slimes? Nothing? Perfect."

She shoves a plate into the lantern and sets it up in the back of the room. A picture of a slime appears on a screen at the front of the classroom as she focuses the lens.

"The slime is a simple organism that congeals in humid places with high rates of decomposing matter, like some types of bogs or caves. We're still unsure how they come into existence or the explanation for how it's even possible. (2) At first we thought them kin to the amoeba, a single celled organism, but slime research has yet to identify any components within the slime comparable to the organelles of the amoeba,"

(3) She walks over to the back of the classroom and another drawing of a slime in the lantern, then continues mid-sentence.

"In fact, we have yet to identify any individual components within slime samples at all and slimes split off into separate pieces behave like separate organisms. This has given credence to the theory that they are a creature not of biology, but magic."

"Slimes are highly acidic creatures and corrode anything they touch. (2) A lot of special gear is required to handle them due to their habit of trying to engulf any object that comes within range."

She again replaces the card in the lantern.

"The primary method of warding against slimes is to wear safety gear made of acid resistant materials when going into slime-rich territory. (3) The recent development of special synthetic rubbers has proven effective against slimes and other acidic creatures and bracelets filled with sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda, worn on the arms and legs will cause the slimes to recoil. The acids from slimes corrode most types of weapons. Noble metals like gold and silver resist corrosion and are sometimes used to sever bits of slime engulfing the victim from the creature's main body, splitting it into two weaker slimes."

"There is one other creature similar to the slime," she says slotting another picture into the lantern "the ooze."

Another picture, this one of an entirely different looking slime.

"Oozes have the opposite pH of slimes, base instead of acidic. (2) Oozes are mostly found in places with a high base content, like soda lakes. Due to being on the opposite end of the pH scale, the chemicals used to ward off slimes tend to strengthen them. (3) Vinegar is commonly recommended as an ooze deterrent. In our research, we tried combining samples of both creatures. The first thing to happen was a huge chemical reaction as the creatures neutralized each other, combined with a horrible unearthly screams, the screams of things not built to do so. It still haunts my dreams months later. Then after we the water evaporated we scraped a weird salt off the bottom of the cauldron that our alchemy department is currently researching. These salt crystals were not present when slimes and oozes were neutralized by other types of chemicals."

(3) "One interesting thing about slimes and oozes is their immunity to the Corruption. We don't know why the Dark Lord's power holds no sway over them, they don't conform to the blessings of the gods and seem to exist in both Corrupted and un-Corrupted areas and consume the free and tainted peoples alike."

Next she opens the window and turns off the lantern to let some light into the room before going back to the cart and moving the jar and other things off

She unscrews a small lid on top of the jar's main lid and holds up a chunk of rotted meat. "Now let's demonstrate the slime's digestive properties. See how it slowly digests this matter."

She drops the meat into the jar and the slime shifts toward the meat and consumes it. "Notice how the meat dissolves when it comes into contact with the slime and how it moves to engulf the matter. (2) Sending out tendrils at first and then wrapping its main body around it. It is common for slimes to do this to any matter it comes into contact with that doesn't neutralize it. (3) Now watch this,"

She picks up a small flask of powder, reopens the jar and dumps it in.

"Notice how it recoils to the baking soda," she says as a high pitched whistle sounds from within the jar as a foaming around the powder begins to take place. "The slime will retreat from the source of the chemical reaction, trying to detach as much of itself as possible."

The lecture continues as she discusses further things about slimes and oozes, their habitats and commonly encountered chemical compositions of various species. (3) Though a lot of it goes over your head once she gets into more technical terms, you still retain a fair bit of knowledge.

Gained Bestiary: Slimes - Basic Knowledge [4/10]
Chemistry Knowledge gained exp [2/10]
Total wealth: [1.4] monthly wage

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 25, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

Gained Bestiary: Slimes - Basic Knowledge [4/10]

Great. We can now go work for Nickelodeon and or are ready for the Kids Choice Awards.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I was slimed at Nickelodeon's part of the Orlando Theme park as a kid. They picked me cause I had a buzz cut. True story. Pretty sure my mom has the picture somewhere.

Stuff felt like runny pizza dough.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Blasphemaster posted:

I was slimed at Nickelodeon's part of the Orlando Theme park as a kid. They picked me cause I had a buzz cut. True story. Pretty sure my mom has the picture somewhere.

Stuff felt like runny pizza dough.

Did they give you a change of clothes or something? Would suck to have to leave the park because of it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

Did they give you a change of clothes or something? Would suck to have to leave the park because of it.

Yeah I changed backstage into a set of show specific tee&shorts prior and showered backstage after. It was handled rather smoothly. The still image of the slime dump has me looking like I had a huge-rear end green elephant trunk due to how it all rounded about my skull.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You fill out your questionnaire and drop it off with the clerk. He stamps it and hands you a few coins. You take your pay and wander back to the class board.

Opera
Pay: 0.7
Instructor skill: -3

"Jackpot," Gunther shouts, "This is the best one yet. No one needs to know about the subject and people who wandered in hated it."

Space & the Phlogiston Theory
Pay: 0.3
Instructor skill: 1

Agriculture Series: Soil Erosion
Cost: 0.1

You ask the clerk about this one. Apparently some skills are in such high demand that a good grad student instructor can get away with charging money for them.

Contemporary Fashion
Pay: 0.4
Instructor skill: -1

Magic
Pay: 0
Instructor skill: 3

Looks like the same one as before.

Landscaping
Pay: 0.2
Instructor skill: 0

Same as last time

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'd be too worried about losing general knowledge or getting general persistent ignorance from taking damage from a class I knew nothing about.

spaaaaaaace

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magic. What we learn can help us appeal to the gunmage demographic.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

OPERA!

I can't imagine this being crucial to our work and the instructor is utter poo poo, plus it pays very well. This is gonna be amusing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Space

Gotta make ROKIT GUNZ, and getting actively misinformed about opera is not a good idea when our master is a member of Parliament and we're probably gonna be forced to move in high society a bit. Ditto on the chance of getting misinformed about fashion, so space pays almost as well and isn't gonna screw us on a bad roll.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Space
Also if we can, ask slime instructor lady after the lesson whether the acidic/basic properties of slimes have been used for industrial applications.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crazycryodude posted:

Gotta make ROKIT GUNZ, and getting actively misinformed about opera is not a good idea when our master is a member of Parliament and we're probably gonna be forced to move in high society a bit. Ditto on the chance of getting misinformed about fashion, so space pays almost as well and isn't gonna screw us on a bad roll.

We can't roll less than 1 so we can't be misinformed on fashion; we probably just won't get anything out of it.

This is an interesting breakpoint.
A skill of -2 means we could be misinformed but we can't be informed.
-1 means we could be informed but we can't be misinformed.
By comparison, guaranteed learning is +1 and guaranteed anti-learning is -4 (and any postgrad this bad is probably already drummed out by this stage, you'd hope).

EDIT: The weird side-effect is that we never suffer the possibility of both learning and anti-learning in the same seminar.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 26, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Opera- we're an orcish smith, not some fancy pants noble. We don't care about this, only the money

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

Space & the Phlogiston Theory

We're going full SpellJammer as the end-game.

No Opera, because if we're going to be brushing shoulders with the nobility, we can't afford to be more of a country bumpkin than we already are.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Space
Also if we can, ask slime instructor lady after the lesson whether the acidic/basic properties of slimes have been used for industrial applications.

"There have been attempts, but you have to remember a slime is a wild creature and can't be controlled like a tool or livestock. They generally end when the people attempting to do it decide it's too much effort or have their equipment and inventory destroyed by escaped slimes. There is a garbage dump in Port Eddenford that runs a slime pit that has remained stable so far, but time will tell."

dont be mean to me posted:

We can't roll less than 1 so we can't be misinformed on fashion; we probably just won't get anything out of it.

This is an interesting breakpoint.
A skill of -2 means we could be misinformed but we can't be informed.
-1 means we could be informed but we can't be misinformed.
By comparison, guaranteed learning is +1 and guaranteed anti-learning is -4 (and any postgrad this bad is probably already drummed out by this stage, you'd hope).

EDIT: The weird side-effect is that we never suffer the possibility of both learning and anti-learning in the same seminar.

You never know, there's always a chance you'll take something away from a class regardless of whether the main content is good or not, like how you understand chemistry a little bit better after the slime lecture. Then there's also the chance that you won't use the skills for a long time or at all. This is not an endorsement for or against any class. Vote for money, science, magic or maybe even one of the others that hasn't gained any support yet; don't worry too much about which is the optimal choice, just vote what you think is the best.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We want to go to space. Gunther can go enjoy the horrible opera.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Gunther can go enjoy the horrible opera.

Yeah, if he wants to do the bad opera we should split from him, since he's doing it explicitly for the money we shouldn't stop him from getting that.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fashion

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I have a vision.

We can become a slime/ooze shaman.

Max magic, try to find a way to control the slimes.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have a vision.

Or find a way to load oozes into our ammo. Howitzers that lob dual-chambered shells with an acidic and alkaline slime contained separately in each shell. Hit a target with one of those and watch the fun with binoculars.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blasphemaster posted:

Or find a way to load oozes into our ammo. Howitzers that lob dual-chambered shells with an acidic and alkaline slime contained separately in each shell. Hit a target with one of those and watch the fun with binoculars.

I went straight to that as well. We know rubber exists, how hard would it be to cast a shell, hollow out the center, and line it with a layer of rubber. Fill new rubber cup with slime or ooze, and fire it at fortified defenses.

Sidenote: I've been re-listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon and that may be influencing my views on the matter.

Did we buy the blank book? We can potentially send mail to our parents with technique differences, ways to improve the range of their own weapons, or wahtever other bullshit we gleam from their competitor.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have a vision.

You think about it. The only real barriers to this idea are your lack of magical knowledge and affinity. You don't even have the knowledge of what low magical affinity even means, is it a hard limit or a starting line behind those the military deems suitable mages?

Blasphemaster posted:

You take the opportunity to ask this at the end of slime class. Ms Pinelake claimed there were attempts at weaponization: glass mines filled with slime and catapults that lobbed glass spheres encasing slimes, but since she is more interested in the biological characteristics of slimes, she wouldn't learn anything she couldn't already learn by dropping samples of meat onto a slime.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Did we buy the blank book? We can potentially send mail to our parents with technique differences, ways to improve the range of their own weapons, or wahtever other bullshit we gleam from their competitor.

Not yet. You might once you get back to the bookstore, depending on what everyone ends up voting for.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Buy blank book for notes/mailing

Voting Magic. If this isn't covered by the instructor, I would like to ask about how the affinity process works. Can anyone, with sufficient effort, learn a bit of magic?

I think no matter what we get into, this might be useful info.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Magic

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just going to go ahead and close the voting so I don't have to rewrite the update from scratch.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bugger, but I would have voted for magic anyway

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Magical hollow points filled with impact-activated slimes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Magical hollow points filled with impact-activated slimes.

Dude, I can only get so erect

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"You're nuts, this is easy money," Gunther exclaims as he walks down the art wing of the building toward his class, leaving you on your own for this one.

(2)You enter the lab to find it charred and wet. Apparently there was a fire here recently; you recall that this was also the room the class on fuel was taking place in, maybe that had something to do with it. You sit patiently for a few minutes, worried that the class might be canceled; eventually a half-orc in a lab coat runs in. (that's kind of cool, it's kind of rare to see other half-orcs)

"Sorry I'm late," he says, "there was an accident with the previous class. Poor Montague singed himself trying to demonstrate his theories and we had to rush him to the campus healer. I'll try to explain what I can, but my slides and visual aides got damaged in the fire.

"First off," he starts as though nothing had happened, "what is phlogiston? As you may know, modern science has done away with the four classical elements in favor of three distinct categories: terra lapidea - solid matter, terra fluida - fluid matter, and terra pinguis - combustible matter. Everything around us is the result of untold eons of vacillation between these states. Phlogiston is the base element of terra pinguis, raw potential energy waiting to be spent; combustion is the result of activating that energy.

"Now, I bet you're wondering what this has to do with space. Well, it is a key player of one of the creation myths: The Great ignition.

"Once upon a time, all was a unified state of phlogiston, somehow lacking the properties of solid or fluid matter while being both at the same time. The Great Ignition, the birth of the stars. Scaldr took one look at the state of the universe and decided that pure potential was the same as none if it was never given a chance to realize itself, so he reached out and activated that potential. This was the First Flame. It consumed all the phlogiston around it and left emptiness and inert matter in its wake. Ellipsia, decrying his idea for its lack of planning, traced paths for the fire to follow, forcing it to build its own cage of inert matter, to keep it from consuming all potential. (3) Eventually, after much bickering, they settled on a design for the rest of the universe to follow.

"Now, I'm here to argue that phlogiston as we know it does not exist."

What? He spent all that time teaching it, now he's arguing against it?

"The version of the Great Ignition I just told you is an attempt by proponents of phlogiston theory to reword visions of the creation in order to gain traction for it in society. There's no evidence of the crystalline wall terra lapidae protecting our world from the sea of phlogiston. (3)

"Think back to when I said there was emptiness left over after the Flame consumed the phlogiston and claims of a crystaline barrier around the sun's domain. This was added to a later version after people started asking why the world isn't in constant danger of being flooded in phlogiston and burning the second it comes near; to which I counter if we're suspended in void inside a barrier, wouldn't be just as likely that there is no need for a sea of phlogiston to float in in the first place?

"Several experiments on the subject have run counter to the stated properties of phlogiston and science has been unable to isolate the raw element. (3) We're getting closer to pinning down the chemical reactions in play."

He continues explaining the basics of mass, both in relation to space and chemical reactions that involve the supposed element and how they contradict the theory.

Gained Physics knowledge - Basic [0/10]
Chemistry Knowledge gained exp [3/10]
Total wealth: [1.7] monthly wage

After the class finishes you reunite with Gunther at the main hall. "Hey, you missed a great fight. Some local playwright and the newspaper's art critic were both there. Idiot's opinions on opera and modern plays pissed 'em both off and they had a three way brawl; guess those two hated each other over some bad reviews. Doesn't look like there's anything that good here."

He's right, slim pickings for the final hour. The magic class is listed again, but there are a couple more.

Local History
Pay: 0.1

Pest Control
Pay 0.2

Politics Primer

Magic
Pay: 0
Instructor skill: 3

"Wanna just go? We've got enough cash, easy."

Leaving now is also an option.

2. I've been posting the effects skills and rolls have had in-update where they appear, should I keep doing this or spoiler them at the end of updates?
Keep/Spoiler

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

1 - Don't take any more classes, let's get back to the book shop and spend the hour piecing together a book or two from garbage copies to get them on the cheap
2 - spoiler at the end

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Let's go this is fun and all but we still have books to buy (did we do that already?) and this is starting to drag

Also put skills down in the bottom.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Use footnotes to indicate where a change occurs, list them at the bottom.

Learn of Magic.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Do we have time to return to the book-seller if we take a final class?

1 Magic As prudent as it might be to learn of politics or pest control, the mage tutor seems to be hammering these out and they might not be here next week. For that matter, even the bookseller might be worth putting off to get access to a +3 Magic seminar.
2 Endnotes, no opinion on making them a spoiler block

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 5, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Magic

Free instruction from an expert in a critical subject? Yes please, the books are gonna be there forever but this teacher might not be, and someone actually teaching you is way better than trying to learn on your own anyways. Get the basics from a qualified teacher and then pick up a textbook to continue self-education or whatever.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Politics so we can impress our boss down the line and get some cash too

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I want magic bullets.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Magic.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We are, in all seriousness, facing the potential of, if not ourselves, but possibly through contacts made during this time, making crazy awesome ammo for our guns. Vote magic, unless you're a panzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

maaagic