Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

okay so i'm used to following AFL and have only been following NRL for five years or so. how do feeder club arrangements usually work? do most clubs (outside of the raiders, storm and warriors i guess) have a single team with which they're aligned in the relevant state leagues? how long do those arrangements usually last - is 11 years a relatively long lasting one?

also as a souths fan is this good or bad news for us and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

#GOAT

Divorced And Curious posted:

okay so i'm used to following AFL and have only been following NRL for five years or so. how do feeder club arrangements usually work? do most clubs (outside of the raiders, storm and warriors i guess) have a single team with which they're aligned in the relevant state leagues? how long do those arrangements usually last - is 11 years a relatively long lasting one?

also as a souths fan is this good or bad news for us and why

From my limited understanding:

Some clubs run their own feeder teams. They also can partner up with clubs in the nsw or QLD cup to have players come up (eg the QLD teams typically draw from a few QLD cup teams, like the titans are connected to Central Queensland, Burleigh and Tweed Heads). These sorts of feeder teams can switch around - Burleigh was originally connected to GC and then switched to Brisbane before quickly going back to GC because it made no sense for them to be linking to them when they are physically part of GC (amongst other financial reasons). Teams like Melbourne might link to teams in both states (they have been linked to Central Coast, Easts Tigers, Sunshine Coast and the Bears back in the day).

I don't think there's any rules about the time they're connected, some link up and drop within a year, others hang around. Some clubs farm out their lower grade teams to local affiliates - Wests Tigers for awhile were the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers in the lower grade. Then for a bit they consolidated to having wests tigers in all grades, and now this year are back to just being Wests Magpies.

Some of the feeder teams used to be top level teams, like Norths and Newtown. They typically link up to teams they don't hate too much, which is why it would be funny if the Bears signed up with Manly. Souths was a less abhorrent choice.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13

Wests Tigers posted:

Kevin Naiqama to depart Wests Tigers at season’s end

Wests Tigers have today confirmed that Kevin Naiqama will depart the club at the end of the season.

Naiqama, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will depart Wests Tigers to take up a multi-year deal in the English Super League.

The Fijian international joined Wests Tigers for the 2015 NRL season and has taken to the field for the club 79 times since then, scoring 31 tries.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe thanked Naiqama for his ongoing commitment to the club.

“Kevin has been a key part of our team since the day he joined Wests Tigers and I thank him for everything he has done both on and off the field,” said Pascoe. “This new multi-year deal is a great opportunity for Kevin to extend his playing career, and we wish him the best of luck in the English Super League.”

Wests Tigers General Manager Football Kelly Egan echoed Pascoe’s comments.

“Kevin has been an important member of the playing group and a great role model while at the club,” said Egan. “We look forward to having Kevin continue those contributions both on and off the field for the remainder of 2018. He has worked hard and deserves this Super League opportunity to continue his career beyond 2018.”

I've always admired Kevin's determination, if not always his skill, and I think he;s been in career-best form this year, especially in defence. Good on him, and I hope he tears it up over there.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

#GOAT

I've enjoyed having Kev at the club, but unfortunately he's way too up and down with his attack and defence. He can go from brick wall to paper mache in an instant and his reads are not always in the vicinity of ok.

I love his passion for the game and am thankful for his service, but I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13

My favourite Naiqama moment was last year, when he missed three tackles in one play across sixty or seventy metres.

Enormous commitment, not so much effectiveness, but I think he has been a lot more consistent this year.

«24 »