Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
okay so i'm used to following AFL and have only been following NRL for five years or so. how do feeder club arrangements usually work? do most clubs (outside of the raiders, storm and warriors i guess) have a single team with which they're aligned in the relevant state leagues? how long do those arrangements usually last - is 11 years a relatively long lasting one?

also as a souths fan is this good or bad news for us and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Divorced And Curious posted:

okay so i'm used to following AFL and have only been following NRL for five years or so. how do feeder club arrangements usually work? do most clubs (outside of the raiders, storm and warriors i guess) have a single team with which they're aligned in the relevant state leagues? how long do those arrangements usually last - is 11 years a relatively long lasting one?

also as a souths fan is this good or bad news for us and why

From my limited understanding:

Some clubs run their own feeder teams. They also can partner up with clubs in the nsw or QLD cup to have players come up (eg the QLD teams typically draw from a few QLD cup teams, like the titans are connected to Central Queensland, Burleigh and Tweed Heads). These sorts of feeder teams can switch around - Burleigh was originally connected to GC and then switched to Brisbane before quickly going back to GC because it made no sense for them to be linking to them when they are physically part of GC (amongst other financial reasons). Teams like Melbourne might link to teams in both states (they have been linked to Central Coast, Easts Tigers, Sunshine Coast and the Bears back in the day).

I don't think there's any rules about the time they're connected, some link up and drop within a year, others hang around. Some clubs farm out their lower grade teams to local affiliates - Wests Tigers for awhile were the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers in the lower grade. Then for a bit they consolidated to having wests tigers in all grades, and now this year are back to just being Wests Magpies.

Some of the feeder teams used to be top level teams, like Norths and Newtown. They typically link up to teams they don't hate too much, which is why it would be funny if the Bears signed up with Manly. Souths was a less abhorrent choice.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Wests Tigers posted:

Kevin Naiqama to depart Wests Tigers at season’s end

Wests Tigers have today confirmed that Kevin Naiqama will depart the club at the end of the season.

Naiqama, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will depart Wests Tigers to take up a multi-year deal in the English Super League.

The Fijian international joined Wests Tigers for the 2015 NRL season and has taken to the field for the club 79 times since then, scoring 31 tries.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe thanked Naiqama for his ongoing commitment to the club.

“Kevin has been a key part of our team since the day he joined Wests Tigers and I thank him for everything he has done both on and off the field,” said Pascoe. “This new multi-year deal is a great opportunity for Kevin to extend his playing career, and we wish him the best of luck in the English Super League.”

Wests Tigers General Manager Football Kelly Egan echoed Pascoe’s comments.

“Kevin has been an important member of the playing group and a great role model while at the club,” said Egan. “We look forward to having Kevin continue those contributions both on and off the field for the remainder of 2018. He has worked hard and deserves this Super League opportunity to continue his career beyond 2018.”

I've always admired Kevin's determination, if not always his skill, and I think he;s been in career-best form this year, especially in defence. Good on him, and I hope he tears it up over there.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've enjoyed having Kev at the club, but unfortunately he's way too up and down with his attack and defence. He can go from brick wall to paper mache in an instant and his reads are not always in the vicinity of ok.

I love his passion for the game and am thankful for his service, but I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
My favourite Naiqama moment was last year, when he missed three tackles in one play across sixty or seventy metres.

Enormous commitment, not so much effectiveness, but I think he has been a lot more consistent this year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NRL.com posted:

NRL head of football Brian Canavan has instructed referees to crack down on players deliberately passing the ball into defending players at the ruck.

Starting with Thursday night's clash at Suncorp Stadium between Brisbane and Parramatta, referees will now rule that if a dummy-half player "deliberately passes the ball into a defending player caught in and around the ruck who is not actively taking part in the play, the act will be deemed to be contrary to the true spirit of the game".

Referees will award a penalty against the attacking team and the NRL has informed all clubs of the directive.

"What we have seen recently is a bad look for the game, and in simple terms, not in the spirit of the game," Canavan said.

"In these instances, if a player deliberately throws the ball into another, the referees will give a penalty to the opposition team.

"This does not absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised if it is deemed that they are interfering with play."

Referees have also been instructed to "communicate warnings or cautions for repeated infringements to captains more efficiently" to minimise delays in restarting play.

There has been criticism this season that captains are deliberately slowing play down when their team has conceded a penalty in order to give their teammates a breather before their next defensive set.

Sharks hooker James Segeyaro was caught out when he tried to pass the ball into a Canberra defender two weeks ago late in the win over the Raiders but missed his target and the ball sailed over the sideline.

"It's a grey area to be honest.

"If someone is in the ruck and you're trying to throw the ball and it hits them, obviously they can't be invisible."

That didn't take long. Let's see if they actually follow through.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It'll be forgotten by the end of the next round.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now players will stand in the ruck on purpose

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

It'll be forgotten by the end of the next round.

It's cute you think it'll last past the end of this round.

Or this match.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I watched some of Castleford vs St Helens this morning. Didn't mind it as Castleford Tigers had a very Wests Tigers game so I felt right at home.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
A solid 8 minutes of work by Manly there.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Lol Raiders - they're not very good at this game, are they?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Completing sets is clearly overrated.

gently caress I hope Stuart gets sacked soon.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I didn’t see that coming.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

What the gently caress just happened?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jono C posted:

What the gently caress just happened?

Poor Tommy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
this game looks pretty dire so far

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

"why did I not retire last year?"

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Watched replay of Raiders vs Manly, both teams are poo poo.

Also, Austin should have been penalised on the siren for a deliberate knock-on but wasn't lol.

If the refs had been competent Manly would have had a 50m kick to win it, very sad we didn't get the funniest finish in history.

Very sad for JT, rip in peace

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

What are the warriors doing? Give up two tries when they're up a player and then another one through paper thin defence.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

What are the warriors doing? Give up two tries when they're up a player and then another one through paper thin defence.

We’re really loving dumb sometimes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Cleary for Origin

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

that was a poo poo performance.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

Cleary for Origin

Got to give Pearce every chance to keep his jersey though.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jono C posted:

haha. put him in off the bench

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

:suicide:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
That is more of a war crime than a haircut on fonua

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

aejix posted:

That is more of a war crime than a haircut on fonua

War crime sums up the Tigers half.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I went from being pissed off that iajwife's family wouldn't gently caress off and let me watch the game to thankful there was someone stopping me swearing at the TV in front of iaJunior.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Lawrence will be feeling that one for a while. Amazing if tiges win this after how awful they've been all game apart from like two plays

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I went from being pissed off that iajwife's family wouldn't gently caress off and let me watch the game to thankful there was someone stopping me swearing at the TV in front of iaJunior.
the kid can’t understand words yet, but exposing him to the Tigers could be abuse

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
80 minutes of Ray Warren senility

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
gently caress me that was a slog

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

the kid can’t understand words yet, but exposing him to the Tigers could be abuse

He got the fun of me breaking off a bottle feed for a split second to fist pump the final whistle. Kept the volume and language toned down, don't want to scar him three days in.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Birdstrike posted:

80 minutes of Ray Warren senility

He's gone one too many himself.

Shame they let that fuckwit Hadley white ant Voss for heir to the throne, they'd have a viable caller waiting in the wings instead of a boring arse fuckwit who loves to gently caress senior prison officers up the arse drone on and can barely follow the play.

Channel 9 deadest thew Voss under a bus to head off being slagged off by Hadley on 2GB after Voss got a settlement off Hadley. Then Hadley bullied Voss out of the job and loving took it. Nine are weak as piss.

But hilariously now I have a bit of an inside line into Nine and privy to a bit of the goings on, this doesn't surprise me now in the slightest. They really are a deeply unprofessional bunch before you even get to the on air stuff.

In summary gently caress Nine, who I now only watch a couple of times a year where Fox has no Simulcast.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
among other things I can’t remember Rabs called Fonua “Mahu” multiple times, said he “downloaded” the ball at least twice, and called Will Hopoate “John.”

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

He's gone one too many himself.

Shame they let that fuckwit Hadley white ant Voss for heir to the throne, they'd have a viable caller waiting in the wings instead of a boring arse fuckwit who loves to gently caress senior prison officers up the arse drone on and can barely follow the play.

Channel 9 deadest thew Voss under a bus to head off being slagged off by Hadley on 2GB after Voss got a settlement off Hadley. Then Hadley bullied Voss out of the job and loving took it. Nine are weak as piss.

But hilariously now I have a bit of an inside line into Nine and privy to a bit of the goings on, this doesn't surprise me now in the slightest. They really are a deeply unprofessional bunch before you even get to the on air stuff.

In summary gently caress Nine, who I now only watch a couple of times a year where Fox has no Simulcast.

The big problem with Hadley (asides from him being a petty oval office) is he's a good radio caller who has no idea how to call tv. He's never gotten any better and it just grates.

Voss is massively more tolerable to listen to.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It's a real pity that Voss got forced out of Nine. He's probably the best caller in the game right now, but I'll always have a soft spot for Warren even if he's past it. Foxtel's non-Voss callers are absolute rubbish.

My favourite combination was Warren and Sterlo, but they seem to have been split up now with Sterlo doing Fridays and Warren doing Sundays.

Any time I hear Roach's voice I want to throw my remote through the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nable is the loving worst, he has the slowest drawl of all and never remembers anyone's name. I've lost count of the number of times I've yelled at him through the TV that the way to tell the difference between Marsters and Nofoaluma is that one has a 2 and the other has a 3 on their back.