Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

This is the battle of "literally can't hold the ball coming out from their end vs literally have no attack"

Accurate.

Cunts vs Cunts its going to be. Whoever wins we all lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

iajanus posted:

This is the battle of "literally can't hold the ball coming out from their end vs literally have no attack"
Spot-on. Makes for pretty boring football. Jeez. Chooks versus Storm for the final. Whoopee. :geno:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

At least it'll be funny if Cronk and Slater can't play.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

At least it'll be funny if Cronk and Slater can't play.

This is the only silver lining I can see.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
This NSW cup final proves that the Fox simulcast is worth its weight in gold and if Fox decide to do streaming sport only for :10bux: it should sell a shitload.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

This NSW cup final proves that the Fox simulcast is worth its weight in gold and if Fox decide to do streaming sport only for :10bux: it should sell a shitload.

It will also lose a lot of money initially because everyone I know (me included) will drop their Foxtel sub the second I can just get the sport. It's a big gamble.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

NRL 2018:
Storm vs Roosters grand-final

Football gods:
Slater is suspended and Cronk is injured.

the football gods always deliver what we need.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
getting a bit ahead of yourself iajanus

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Aside from everything else, that is some seriously shithouse calligraphy

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

It will also lose a lot of money initially because everyone I know (me included) will drop their Foxtel sub the second I can just get the sport. It's a big gamble.

It seems it will be a thing, at 10 they will sell a poo poo ton of subs, at 20 it will probably fail.

My guess is they will gently caress it up, and you will get basic sport for 10, and they will sell you upgrades (cricket, NRL, AFL etc) that in order to get the full pack you would have to spend 30 or something.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I've always said the shoulder charge rule is stupid and illogical (throw the book at contact with the head, like 6+ weeks, but otherwise it should be fine) but as the rules are written Slater is dead to rights.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
There's a shot of Slater with his right arm sort of around the other guy that makes it look ok according to the rules but in full motion he 💯 shoulder barged him :S I think the right arm came around after the impact anyway

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

I've always said the shoulder charge rule is stupid and illogical (throw the book at contact with the head, like 6+ weeks, but otherwise it should be fine) but as the rules are written Slater is dead to rights.

I agree. You play with fire you get burnt.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BobTheDestroyer posted:

There's a shot of Slater with his right arm sort of around the other guy that makes it look ok according to the rules but in full motion he 💯 shoulder barged him :S I think the right arm came around after the impact anyway

The still shot defence is ridiculous when you watch it in any kind of motion. It was a 100% deliberate shoulder charge with nothing resembling a legitimate tackle attempt under the rules at any stage after Feki caught the ball and Slater set his sights on him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

getting a bit ahead of yourself iajanus

Please don't doxx me

And I don't like the shoulder charge rule - I much prefer a massive penalty if one goes wrong, but most of the time they were fine. But Slater clearly falls afoul of the rules and it'll be a farce if/when he gets off.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

That was my stance orginally, but after reading about the guy who died from what was considered a legal shoulder charge in a lower grade game, I'm ok with it being banned.

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Didn't they get rid of that loophole after Sandow kept using it as an excuse?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
I'm torn because on one hand you have demonstrable evidence that shoulder charges are a low probability but severe consequence event (can you tell I've been stuck in loving risk assessment workshops recently or what) but, on the other hand, the defence would like to present Ruben Wiki in full flight: https://youtu.be/2zJJMvhb5qg

Like he starts that run from behind the dead ball line

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I miss the hard runs like Rueben did. Those teeth and eyes as he hits the line is sensational.

I also loved the work of Ian Roberts back in the day, as his philosophy was simple - "I'm gay, so if I want to prevent any trouble I should hit twice as hard as the next bloke and nobody will give me poo poo". And he was right, his hits were brutal and nobody gave him any overt poo poo in the dressing room. And funnily enough in my social group at school he did more to dispel the stereotype that gay people were limp wristed or weaker than any other person - which at the then age of 15 got more traction with our social group than anything else.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Tony Williams contract torn up due to second drug offence.

Tigers will sign him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Tigers will sign him.

Co-Captain number six coming up

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Tigers will sign him.

Surely not.... like the rest of the dinosaurs T-Rex is extinct as a first grader. Tigers do/did have a glaring weakness in the second row though, the signing of Matterson eased that quite a bit though at least on one side.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

Tigers will sign him.

his chances of winning a comp has greatly improved.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In a development surprising not many, Bennett told no contract for you after 2019.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Is Billy going to be freed?

:suspense:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Is Billy going to be freed?

:suspense:

We can but hope not

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

jfc this thing is taking forever

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Apparently the Slater defense was slick, followed up by a "The Castle" style bumbling ramble about the vibe of the thing from the NRL prosecution. :rolleyes:

edit: also Mason Lino is leaving the Warriors, he is understood to have a 2-year deal with Newcastle.

It's a shame, he's a great backup and seems like a really good dude. Not sure what Newcastle are up to with their various assortment of potential partners for Pearce, seeming also including Ponga now.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 25, 2018

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
So you can hit with the shoulder, but catapult with the hips.

Got it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Apparently the Slater defense was slick, followed up by a "The Castle" style bumbling ramble about the vibe of the thing from the NRL prosecution. :rolleyes:

edit: also Mason Lino is leaving the Warriors, he is understood to have a 2-year deal with Newcastle.

It's a shame, he's a great backup and seems like a really good dude. Not sure what Newcastle are up to with their various assortment of potential partners for Pearce, seeming also including Ponga now.
Lino is backup for the Pierce and Ponga
halves pairing since we lost Cogger and Lamb

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Come on morons, make your minds up before my phone runs out of battery

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Barba to the Cowboys. Cool I guess?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
gently caress Paul Kent shits me.

Wife stealing holier than thou fuckwit.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ikin's doing a pretty loving good job considering this NRL360 episode is now 2 hours 10 minutes and counting.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

NOT GUILTY

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
What a load of shite

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

welp

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lol of course

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Its the vibe your honour

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Look it would have been very expensive to buff his name off the Churchill medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010