Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Good to see Parramatta are getting good value from Hayne and Moses.

Their old teams must be kicking themselves that they let them go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Is Hayne really so legendary that it made sense to have a Picture-in-Picture follow him off the field, and then into the locker room, and then onto the physio table

Not even a small one, he got the full quarter-of-the-screen treatment

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Hayne really is special. Not many can gently caress up two clubs simultaneously.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
gently caress off with that tripping bullshit, Taylor.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jesus Christ wtf did Hayne do to that club.

They used to be vaguely competent.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How loving terrible is the Knights' finishing

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it is pissing down raining

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
have been far from our best tonight

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Knights bombed so many tries. Had they actually taken their first half opportunities this would be a very different scoreline.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks for the double post app

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How the gently caress have the knights thrown the ball into touch at least three times when in a standard attacking line with no pressure on them.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The 'penalties' for cap-rorting are so light there's basically no reason not to do it if you've got the money.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Unless you're dumb enough to actually win things when massively over

Tigers are the smartest club

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

The 'penalties' for cap-rorting are so light there's basically no reason not to do it if you've got the money.

Squeezing their 2018 and 2019 caps a little is nice, but docking competition points is what should be done.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Squeezing their 2018 and 2019 caps a little is nice, but docking competition points is what should be done.

Their 'penalty' for rorting the cap by approximately $300k for the past 5 seasons is to have a cap reduction of approximately $300k for the next 2.... where's the disincentive in that? If you're an ambitious club you rort for 5 years to get a premiership window then when all your premiership players get too expensive you take the hit for a couple of lull years then start again.

Also note that the enforced cap reduction nullifies the financial penalties and actually gives the Manly owners extra money in the pocket rather than less....

The last time they properly punished a club for rorting was the Warriors in '06 which was ironically self reported by the new owners once they'd taken over and discovered old transgressions. These days the lack of meaningful punishments is basically a green light.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Decreased their cap by like 300K, and yet everyone got a cap increase this year of close to a million with time to plan.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
“punishment”

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Also the rorting included the DCE contract which lured him into reneging on his deal with the struggling Gold Coast Titans. What a loving joke that they essentially get away with it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

After thinking about it a little more, if they aren't going to be docked points, the squeeze put on their cap should at least force them to shed players. Because otherwise the fine amounts to a luxury tax, which several clubs would be more than happy to pay.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

The last time they properly punished a club for rorting was the Warriors in '06

I know the Eels are up there with the Roosters and Sea Eagles in the most hated teams of this thread, but what part of their punishment could in any way be possibly construed as improper? We lost a bunch of players, got turbofucked for a season and had ongoing repercussions that were directly managed by the former head salary cap auditor. If that's not proper then what would have been?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
wow mystery av buyer too lazy to use different dogs so we could tell each other apart

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay I don't have to look at Braith anymore!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

wow mystery av buyer too lazy to use different dogs so we could tell each other apart

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Where the gently caress is my new avatar? I was sick of Tom Waterhouse five years ago.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Smorgasbord posted:

Also the rorting included the DCE contract which lured him into reneging on his deal with the struggling Gold Coast Titans. What a loving joke that they essentially get away with it.

What can I say? The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have a rich history of honesty and integrity for rugby league, so the NRL officials took that in to account when determining the punishment for this unintentional minor accounting error.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 27, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fanatic posted:

What can I say? The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have a rich history of honesty and integrity for rugby league, so the NRL officials took that in to account when determining the punishment for this unintentional minor accounting error.
Thanks for the new avatar I guess

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

bowmore posted:

Thanks for the new avatar I guess

Hey now if I wanted to spend that much money I would atleast go to the effort of finding different dogs. :cheeky:

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Nice Av's

Manly getting tickle punished for massive cap breaches, sounds about right.

if they were being serious about cap punishments, they would make manly wear a scarlet letter on the front of their jersey.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure the punishment amounts to around a 3% cap penalty

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

I know the Eels are up there with the Roosters and Sea Eagles in the most hated teams of this thread, but what part of their punishment could in any way be possibly construed as improper? We lost a bunch of players, got turbofucked for a season and had ongoing repercussions that were directly managed by the former head salary cap auditor. If that's not proper then what would have been?

wikipedia posted:

The Parramatta Eels salary cap breach was a major breach of the National Rugby League's strictly enforced salary cap by the Parramatta Eels rugby league club over a period of four years. The discovery of these breaches in 2016 by the NRL resulted in it stripping the Eels of the twelve competition points the club has accrued so far in the 2016 NRL season. In addition to being fined $1 million, Parramatta also had its 2016 NRL Auckland Nines title revoked.[1][2]

So the competition points earned illegally were removed, as was an irrelevant trophy. Also the club had to get under the cap, meaning the loss of Nathan Peats. My position on that was the same as for the Storm breach - the nullification of the fruits of cheating is not a punishment. Think of it like catching a child stealing a chocolate bar - taking back the chocolate bar is not the punishment.

If they want to do it as a cap hit then it must be multiples of whatever the breach was to be a meaningful deterrent. If it's going to be a points penalty then it can't just be illegally gained points being nullified - that should still happen of course, but whatever points penalty should then apply on top or accrued into the following season or seasons depending on the length and severity of the breach.

You know, actually punishing the kid for stealing the chocolate bar rather than just taking it back off them and leaving it at that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

WHY DOES MY DOGATAR NOT HAVE BOLD TEXT LIKE THE OTHERS

loving sloppy manly bullshit

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I changed my dog

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Refs who hosed up the Tigers' winning start to the year are demoted.

Cold comfort.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

So the competition points earned illegally were removed, as was an irrelevant trophy. Also the club had to get under the cap, meaning the loss of Nathan Peats. My position on that was the same as for the Storm breach - the nullification of the fruits of cheating is not a punishment. Think of it like catching a child stealing a chocolate bar - taking back the chocolate bar is not the punishment.

If they want to do it as a cap hit then it must be multiples of whatever the breach was to be a meaningful deterrent. If it's going to be a points penalty then it can't just be illegally gained points being nullified - that should still happen of course, but whatever points penalty should then apply on top or accrued into the following season or seasons depending on the length and severity of the breach.

You know, actually punishing the kid for stealing the chocolate bar rather than just taking it back off them and leaving it at that.

We also lost Junior Paulo and Anthony Watmough (admittedly there was a minuscule chance of him ever playing again anyway), and there were a handful of promising younger players we weren't able to retain.

There is no way the Storm and Eels situations are remotely comparable either. The Storm deliberately cheated to win, we were forced to go over the cap because Ricky Stuart fired 13 players while they were still under contract and we had to keep paying out on half of a roster while recruiting for all the losses. You don't need to punish a team like that any further, we were hardly building a winning culture that we were then able to piggy-back on for multiple seasons afterwards, we got the spoon twice in succession and by the time we actually had a decent team again it was already cap compliant (we were only over the cap in 2016 because of backdated deductions from previous years, a fact that is consistently ignored in the news articles).

Ultimately, as long as you've got an administration that allows TPA's outside the cap then it's flawed from the get go, and literally every team is bending the rules in same shape or form so there's no point ruining a team's season when it's the people running the game who allow the rorting to happen in the first place. I hate the Sea Eagles with a passion but even I can't be bothered to give a poo poo about their latest cap drama.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

We also lost Junior Paulo and Anthony Watmough (admittedly there was a minuscule chance of him ever playing again anyway), and there were a handful of promising younger players we weren't able to retain.

There is no way the Storm and Eels situations are remotely comparable either. The Storm deliberately cheated to win, we were forced to go over the cap because Ricky Stuart fired 13 players while they were still under contract and we had to keep paying out on half of a roster while recruiting for all the losses. You don't need to punish a team like that any further, we were hardly building a winning culture that we were then able to piggy-back on for multiple seasons afterwards, we got the spoon twice in succession and by the time we actually had a decent team again it was already cap compliant (we were only over the cap in 2016 because of backdated deductions from previous years, a fact that is consistently ignored in the news articles).

Ultimately, as long as you've got an administration that allows TPA's outside the cap then it's flawed from the get go, and literally every team is bending the rules in same shape or form so there's no point ruining a team's season when it's the people running the game who allow the rorting to happen in the first place. I hate the Sea Eagles with a passion but even I can't be bothered to give a poo poo about their latest cap drama.

So the defense is Paramatta shouldn't have been punished because despite their systematic rorting they were incompetent? Sorry I don't see not being able to resign players because you're over the salary cap due to cheating as a punishment, that's just having to operate under the cap like everyone else supposedly has to.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I thought Paramatta's punishment was reasonable (loss of points and players getting moved on), although getting a medical exemption on Watmough so he wouldn't count against the cap and then trying to screw him out of an option year in his contract was pretty low.

Manly on the other hand is getting off pretty lightly. They breached the cap by $1.5m, yet only lose $600k from their cap over two years. That $600k should be a lot closer to the $1.5m. I also don't understand how a breach of this magnitude doesn't merit a points deduction.

TPAs are the big problem. I have no problem with big name players getting proper endorsement deals, but TPAs are clearly a front for under the table money for several clubs.

PS- thank you to the mystery avatar buyer. I like that my dog's picture is mirrored.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I agree that TPAs are loving ridiculous and are a complete joke.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I agree that TPAs are loving ridiculous and are a complete joke.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

So the defense is Paramatta shouldn't have been punished because despite their systematic rorting they were incompetent?

No, you said the last time a team were properly punished was the Warriors in '06. I think the punishment for the Eels was about right and anyone who thinks they should have been punished further is completely insane. At the time I thought the Storm got off lightly but looking back now, even their punishment seems about right, and it's one that continues to be enforced anytime people refer to how many official titles they've won. After the amount of rorts that have been exposed over the years and the amount that continue to be exposed to this day, it's clear that the system is broken and I'm sick of hearing about it - they need to either fix the TPA bullshit or just give up on pretending we're all working under a fair and equitable system that needs to be vigorously upheld to the letter of the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

we seem to be missing one poster with a randy looking mitchell pearce av