Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That's a fair effort that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah for a 6pm game and coming off three spoons that crowd was an absolute ripper.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus, aside from the Broncos/Dragons it's been a pretty bloody good week of footy so far.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jeez that was a fucken nailbiter.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

At least Ricky didn't blame the refs this time.

it was Greenberg's fault instead

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I dont think tpas are the problem the media make them out to be. If you listen to Paul Kent you'd think tpas are just the Roosters/Broncos giving players paper bags full of cash and it's a bigger problem than Paul Gallen winning a state of origin while juiced to the eyeballs before getting a 3 week holiday. But from the actual published figures it's marquee players like Cam Smith getting legitimate sponsorship deals. Yet not a week goes by without some spanner in the media saying we should ban tpas, even though it's a pretty dicey call legally.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

How much in tpas do you think players at the Broncos earn?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Well, according to the most recent articles I've seen published the Broncos are 2nd in the league (to Melbourne) in TPAs, with about $550,000 being shared. They don't break down how that's spread out, so it may well be certain players getting large percentages of that to help keep them in town.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/19/nrl-in-talks-with-clubs-to-publish-figures-on-third-party-agreements/

Yeah those are the numbers i saw, 2nd after the Storm with the Panthers hot on their heels in 3rd place. I believe the Broncos figures include Sam Thaiday's now-cancelled agreement with Deadly Choices. That's hardly the rivers of gold which were bandied about in the media, with Gus Gould claiming iirc that the Broncos were getting something like 3 million in tpas, or when the Eels justified paying players in literal brown paper bags because they reckoned the Broncos were getting huge tpas.

At the end of the day, even assuming 100% of the Broncos tpas are dodgy, it would mean taking nearly $4m out of NRL player payments and probably fighting and losing a massive legal battle because we reckon that one team gets a 400k advantage on top of the 10 million plus every team can spend on players already. I've got no problem tightening controls on tpas and player contracts in general, but the amounts published don't support the claims that tpas are ruining the salary cap and its all a big rort and so forth.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

My favourite part of living in Brisbane now is literally zero roosters fans here

There is a related problem, though...

Yeah there are tons of Manly and St George fans up here.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Exciting game though I thought. Melbourne always bring their a game to Brisbane. Some good moments in patches for the Broncos, with a fit fullback and a bit more time for the squad to gel I think they can go fairly well.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nah that's obviously accidental from a player who never has made questionable tackles let alone got away with two last week.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The only way he's wrapping his arms there is if Sims is behind him.
And if every player who launches themselves recklessly and knocks a player out gets sinbinned, good. Napa has a history of this type of poo poo so gently caress him.

ili fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 19, 2018

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

I think he's officially lost the plot.

Meanwhile the Rabbits are going to be cutting ties with the Bears as their feeder club because they went and signed Todd Carney against their wishes. I can't see him being worth the trouble to burn that sort of bridge.

From reading elsewhere it looks like Souths and the Bears were always splitting after this year anyway.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That's pretty much the best team we can pick given the retirements and injuries. NSW should be in with a decent chance this year.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fox reporting Slater is out of Origin 1 posted:

QUEENSLAND have been struck a devastating blow with Billy Slater reportedly ruled out of Wednesday night’s Origin series opener after failing to overcome a hamstring injury.

Slater was picked by the Maroons with an injury cloud over his head and despite positive updates out of camp it appears he has lost his race against the clock.

The Daily Telegraph broke the story this afternoon, just hours after Kevin Walters told the media that Slater would be playing.

Maroons officials are yet to confirm that Slater is out of the game but reports suggest that Darius Boyd, Michael Morgan and Kalyn Ponga are the three players in contention to take the No.1 jersey.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

QRL posted:

Billy Slater has today confirmed he will not play in the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground due to a hamstring injury.

"I didn't pull up as well as I would have liked after our training run on Sunday, and because I'm not 100 per cent, it's in my best interests as well as the team's to withdraw from Wednesday's game," Slater said.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters will consult with selectors and senior players before deciding on the final make-up of the side closer to kick off.

He confirmed Anthony Milford and Kalyn Ponga will join the Maroons squad in Melbourne tonight.

"We knew we had some concerns with Billy, but he's a champion player and we needed to give him every chance to play," Walters said.

"We've had plans in place to cover Billy if he didn't come up right, and we've actioned that today with Anthony and Kalyn coming in."

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Now reports that Gagai busted his fingers with a compound fracture and will be out, plus others that Hunt is in doubt too. At this rate they'll end up just selecting 17 fans to play.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress yeah Origin Gagai is amazing, unlike his identical twin Club Gagai.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

aejix posted:

I know in ice hockey the refs and linesmen are treated the same as any other surface in the rink, so if you get a bad bounce off a ref or a linesman blocks your clearing attempt, then tough poo poo

Is there an actual rule in league for that sort of poo poo

Yeah if the ball contacts a ref it's a scrum feed to the team attacking that half of the field, so it was the correct call afaik. But it's pretty rare because the refs are supposed to keep out of the way.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fucks sakes, don't turn this joint into yet another daily telegraph ref whingathon. Results aside that was a cracker of a match. Looking forward to game 2.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Isn't hand egg VFL?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't think they were too bad, although Cooper didn't have a great game. Get Slater back in and this side will look an awful lot better. If Gillett is back with a game under his belt I'd probably shunt Cooper off for him too.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I thought it was forward out of the hands, but it doesn't really matter either way.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Peter Wallace is retiring.

Tough bugger, he's been playing the last 2 years with no ACL in one knee after a failed reconstruction. At the Broncos his nickname was sausage skin because he'd always get split so easily, but he never backed off or gave up. Top bloke.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Inglis is :discourse:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'm totally gay for gagai.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress these knafeh bakery cunts seem like fucken cunts.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fucks sakes

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Byolante posted:

Why is Galen on tv instead of in prison

The prosecution hosed up and gave him a backdated sentence. oval office got 2 years but only had to serve 3 weeks.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

This was always going to happen with our three most important guys either retired from rep footy or injured. If we'd had Pearce, Gallen and Lozza we'd have won for sure.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Do you only wear your teams gear if you win?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I place the blame squarely on Valentine Holmes' goal kicking. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to hire NVJ as his kicking coach?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Woods moves to the Sharks.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

apparently Knights have signed Edrick Lee and Corey Norman will be signing as well

but Nathan we really need a loving prop

Blame Bennett for it.

ili fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 26, 2018

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah should be. That's fucken munted.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Draw after extra time with Smith, Slater, Sheck and SJ copping 6 week suspensions.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

We did our part but I'm not sure admitted drug cheat Peptide Paul Gallen will win the coveted most losses ever trophy this year. Hope he's got one more season in him.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Also the bit where you hide your second set of books instead of recording the various ways you cheat in official board minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus loving Christ Napa needs to fix his technique.