Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://youtu.be/fJDzTBZIc2E

Traveling as I do (I just adventure indefinitely), I came across this cat near Boston. He's got this piece in his closet. I think it might be a legit Hokusai. I keep a sony mirrorless with me at all times, with a 50mm f1.4 and a 135mm f2.8 (antique nikkon glass), so I can shoot a few different ways (including two levels of macro). I shot this video this afternoon.

It's a monocolor ink wash of a samauri, sword drawn, with a moon. It's 27 inches tall, 10 inches wide. Not a print. Very old paper.

What do you think? I can take pictures, close-ups of whatever you want explored deeper. We can even remove it from the frame and photograph it without the glass, but I decided not to do so yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Certainly in the style of.

This is from one of Hokusai's samurai manga, and I'd say this is just a mirrored version with some minor alterations. Unfortunately, many, many people used Hokusai's mangas as study books as artists. Without further information on provenance or expert analysis, it's impossible to say whether this is legitimately by him, one of his students, or a study by another artist.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Jeza posted:

Certainly in the style of.

This is from one of Hokusai's samurai manga, and I'd say this is just a mirrored version with some minor alterations. Unfortunately, many, many people used Hokusai's mangas as study books as artists. Without further information on provenance or expert analysis, it's impossible to say whether this is legitimately by him, one of his students, or a study by another artist.

Thank you :) Yeah, that samurai looks to be wearing/wielding very similar gear as the one in question, fascinating.I've looked through some pieces that have gone at auction, and there are a few that are listed as 'attributed to Hokusai' that looked remarkably similar in style, paper quality and paper fold. I don't have any provenance on it, but where might one go to get expert analysis?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Uglycat posted:

Thank you :) Yeah, that samurai looks to be wearing/wielding very similar gear as the one in question, fascinating.I've looked through some pieces that have gone at auction, and there are a few that are listed as 'attributed to Hokusai' that looked remarkably similar in style, paper quality and paper fold. I don't have any provenance on it, but where might one go to get expert analysis?

You could do worse than contacting the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, as it has the largest collection of Japanese Art outside of Japan. A little legwork also brings up Alberts-Langdon, a private Asian Arts dealership in Boston where you can go for an appraisal. Be aware that if it can't be answered at a glance, it will cost money.

• Locked thread