Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
1. Splash Woman
2. Hornet Man
3. Tornado Man

As tempting as it is to put Tornado Man into the #1 position, MM9 has my favorite overall set of robot master weapons in the series, so I decided to vote based on my weapon preferences instead of schadenfreude this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I think it's great to see Jewel Satellite and the other weapons getting used. A lot of the other Mega Man games suffer from either having bad weapons or simply from not having stages which let you take full advantage of the tools you are given. 9 is fun in large part because of just how good so many of its weapons are and it would be a shame to not see them utilized, especially since stages like Plug Man's so often seem to be built with the weapons in mind.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
1. Tornado Man
2. Concrete Man
3. Magma Man

I also think it would be fun to see the DLC stage after you beat the game.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Tornado Man's level is the one that stuck with me from all the promotional stuff, even more than Concrete Man's. It has what is possibly the best song in the entire game and the rotating platforms served as a great way to show off how they planned to put some new twists on the retro gameplay. It certainly sold me on Mega Man 9 more than anything I've seen for Mega Man 11 so far at any rate.

By the way, if you don't have Rush Jet, or just don't want to use weapon energy, you can also largely trivialize those red and blue platforms by bunny hopping to stay on top.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I don't like 10's weapon set anywhere near as much as 9's, so I'm going to use my votes to maximize suffering this time around (especially since it looks like Sheep Man has the #1 slot locked in):

1. Commando Man
2. Solar Man
3. Blade Man

As for the devil boss in 9, I like it as long as you have access to its weakness. Fighting that thing while low on black hole bomb ammo is terrible though.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I would also like to see more Superhero mode, though MM3 sounds good too.

As for Mega Man 9, it's still my favorite game in the series and I think you guys did well during your playthrough. I always wonder if the ending credits sequence with all the robot masters was meant to imply that Dr. Light rebuilt them for good or if it's more of a morbid look back at the "good old days" before they were unceremoniously tossed into the scrapyard and reprogrammed by Wily; MM9's universe is kind of messed up.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I think a lot of the "Zero kills Wily" stuff comes from the first X4 cutscene on Zero's path. It involves a flashback/dream where Wily's silhouette wakes up Zero and tell him to kill his rival (Dr. Light), followed by Zero getting a headache and a bunch of flashes of destroyed robots and Zero's hands covered in blood/oil. It's all just vague enough to heavily imply things while giving Capcom endless amounts of wiggle room. None of it really matters since the X series throws any lore it has out the window from game to game (especially later on) and the original series is never going to portray the brutal murder of its Saturday morning cartoon villain.

As far as Mega Man 10 goes, I'd say that its shop, the rate at which you get bolts for said shop, the minibosses, and the fortress levels are all improvements over 9 and most of the boss fights are good too. The biggest knocks against it are that its weapons are mediocre and its robot master levels vary more in quality compared to those of 9. The quality of unique level gimmicks tends to be the main factor in determining how good a Mega Man game is and 10 has some really interesting levels like Sheep Man's and some others where the gimmicks feel underutilized or just aren't very interesting in the first place. It's still one of the better Mega Man games overall, but I'd definitely put it below 8 and 9.

Also, I used my own copy of Legacy Collection 2 to confirm that 10 does have quick swap for the weapons so you don't need to worry about constantly opening and closing the menu this time around.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I definitely think Blade Man's stage is the weakest in the game (even if I love the miniboss design); the cart things are just tedious to deal with and they're never varied up in an interesting way. I didn't use checkpoint saves the two times I went through MM10 so fighting Blade Man without his weakness was pretty much out of the question for me and it was great to see people gradually learn one of the hardest Robot Master fights in the entire series. As for Thunder Wool, it's good for large, immobile targets or for getting around shields so it has its uses, but they are few and far between.

Commando Man's stage is the one I'm looking forward to the most, though seeing one of the better weapons in 10 would be nice too so:

1. Commando Man
2. Pump Man
3. Chill Man

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like the ways Pump Man's level plays around with a bunch of water mechanics, it's a rare example of a good sewer level and probably one of the better levels in Mega Man 10 in general. It's also the first level in this run with a branching path, but it's not the only one; 10 likes path branches more than other Mega Man games and I think that's
one of 10's biggest strengths. Pump Man's shield isn't as ridiculous as Jewel Man's, but it is still a nice shield which provides both offense and defense.

As for Pump Man himself and a fair number of the Robot Masters in 10, I think the problem is that Capcom tried to make them more "involved" fights than usual. Unfortunately, this is usually accomplished by giving bosses patterns where they spend a huge chunk of the fight outside of the mega buster's range (ex: Blade Man and Sheep Man) or by giving them attacks which make them more or less invincible for extended periods of time (ex: Pump Man whenever his shield is up, which is most of the time).

The bosses don't change up their patterns or otherwise evolve as the fight progresses, so they end up feeling like battles of attrition where you're just dodging the same hard-hitting attacks over and over while waiting for the boss to present a very brief opening. They're generally tougher fights than in other games, but not usually in fun ways and losing to them can be especially frustrating if you're not loading checkpoints. They also all still fold like paper to their weaknesses (even Pump Man if you can aim Thunder Wool properly), so for many bosses you're basically choosing between long, tedious fights with the buster or fights which are over almost instantly with a weakness with no real middle ground.

10 polishes up some of 9's rough edges (ex: the shop isn't prohibitively expensive), it adds in some nice stuff (more branching paths and minibosses), and it adds Bass as a playable character for added replay value, but I think its low points are also noticeably worse than those of 9, making it a more wobbly game in terms of quality.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Glazius posted:

I think you might want to turn off autofire. It doesn't look to play nice with the boss weapons here, which is a weird limitation for a system they programmed in themselves.

This made me curious, so I loaded up one of my old saves and held down autofire with Pump Man's weapon. If you hold down the button the shield will start to surround Mega Man like usual...and then immediately swirl away the moment it's complete.

I don't want to ruin the blind run with too many details, but it also constantly double shoots Strike Man's weapon the way it does Thunder Wool and it completely negates the special feature of Nitro Man's weapon. So yeah, autofire and Robot Master weapons really don't seem to get along at all.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Chill Man's stage is so forgettable that I can barely remember anything at all about it despite having played the game just a few months ago and I don't like his weapon so:

1. Commando Man
2. Nitro Man
3. Chill Man

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
The most recent video made me realize one of the biggest differences between 9 and 10 which I never quite noticed before. 9 tends to stick to more traditional enemy types and areas, but it places a heavy emphasis on level gimmicks like Tornado Man's rotating platforms and Hornet Man's unrolling platforms. Meanwhile, 10 has a lot of very unusual level settings like Strike Man's and it focuses on adding in a ton of new, thematic enemy types, but the gimmicks are often underutilized.

10 is at its best in levels like Sheep Man's where you get a neat theme with fun new enemies and an interesting gimmick all rolled into one and it's at its worst in levels like Blade Man's and Solar Man's where the enemy types aren't particularly interesting and the gimmicks are underutilized or just bad (I guess Solar Man's gimmick is "dodging stuff on ladders"). It reminds me a bit of Mega Man 6 in that regard as 6 also has a lot of interesting ideas which, for the most part, never seem to go anywhere, though I'd definitely say 10 is better than 6.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Commando Man's level is the opposite of Blade Man's in a way. Blade Man doesn't really have a gimmick for the first half of his level while the gimmick in the second half is barely utilized. Meanwhile, Commando Man has a very prominent gimmick used in multiple ways, but I don't think it's very fun to deal with.

As for Rush Jet, it can be used to make this level a lot easier, but you need to start it near a pit that doesn't have bombs popping up; rush jet can outpace the bombs if it's at the very top of the screen. You should also try pressing the attack button a second time while Pump Man's shield is up as it does have a good attack tied to it even if it pales in comparison to Jewel Satellite. Solar Man's weapon might also be my least favorite out of all the weapons in 10. Thunder Wool isn't great, but at least it hits a unique angle and deals good damage while Solar Blaze has mediocre damage in a straight line and the few enemies it works well against aren't particularly dangerous.

I was pretty surprised to see that Commando Man is weak to Blade Man's weapon. There's another weapon which serves as his "true weakness", but 9 and 10 both give a lot of their bosses secondary weaknesses.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like the concept behind Nitro Man's level a lot and the actual execution is decent too, though I constantly confuse it with the airport level from Mega Man Unlimited. Nitro Man's weapon isn't just Wheel Gator's attack either and it has what might be the coolest gimmick of any weapon in the series, though you'll need to experiment a bit to figure out just what that is.

Also, now that you've gone through all the Robot Masters in both 9 and 10, do you plan to do any sort of ranking for the Robot Masters and/or levels?

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like the boss(es) of Wily 1 and the unusually atmospheric music at the start, but Wily 2 and 3 both have some serious issues. Wily 2 feels like it goes on forever and a lot of the nonsense they throw at you isn't very fun, especially the surprise bombs. Wily 3 I like the elevator sections, but the underwater cart section is painfully slow and the boss is just awful without its weakness. Congratulations for beating the Wily 3 boss with relatively little difficulty, I hate that thing!

I recently went through most of Mega Man 10 on Hard for the first time and Wily 2 on that difficulty may have been the least enjoyable Mega Man thing I've ever experienced (and I've played X6 and X7). To give an idea, Hard Mode for that level does things like putting the pusher guy at the end of the first room closer to the left side so you need to dodge/destroy the surprise bomb, grab the ladder low enough to not get hit by the pusher's hitbox, and then climb up before a new bomb can drift into you. I ended up using Rush Jet to take the lower path with the E-Tank (W-Tank?) on the ice blocks because that nonsense was somehow easier.

Lastly, I'll say what the "secret" gimmick to Nitro Man's weapon is. If you keep holding down the button Mega Man will hold it out in front of him and if you're against a wall Mega Man will use it to quickly climb upward. It's nice for gaps between tall platforms or for parts like that ladder behind a spike wall in Wily 2. It would be great if you could also use it to basically skip vertical rooms like all the ones in Solar Man's level, but you can't screen transition with it (you need to be on a ladder), so it's ultimately a fun, neat gimmick which doesn't actually help all that much because the level design in Mega Man 10 rarely takes your potential weapons into account.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Nice job on beating the game! As far as being taken by surprise by the true final level goes, having a second skull (or an entirely new castle) is something of a Mega Man tradition to the point that it's generally more surprising when a Mega Man game doesn't have one. Even though I have issues with other parts of 10, I do like the final level quite a lot; the upside-down theme is neat, they give you plenty of tanks for the final boss, the final boss itself is probably one of the better Wily Saucer fights, and its location on the map is clever.

When it comes to Robot Master weapons, I think the main problem is they went overboard trying to give every weapon a gimmick. Half the weapons have two "parts" and get better on the second part (Chill Man, Sheep Man, Commando Man, and Solar Man). Other weapons are also just oddly gimmicky, like being able to ride up walls with Nitro Man's weapon or aim the missiles with Commando Man's weapon. Even the remaining, relatively normal, weapons have odd quirks to them, like Strike Man's weapon dealing more damage after bouncing around. Nothing is as straightforward as Laser Trident, but nothing has the same degree of utility either. I think Mega Man 10 could have taken a lesson from Kirby by including an information page for each weapon to let players know about any extra features.

Your comments on the difficulty of Mega Man needing to remain relatively flat because each non-fortress level needs to teach you new things rather than building on old ones are also interesting. I think some games do have more of a difficulty curve that, for better or worse, players are left to figure out on their own (ex: Galaxy Man and his level are way easier than Tornado Man and his level) and both 7 and 8 actually did divide the levels into two sets of four, though 7 doesn't take advantage of this as much as 8. 10 really does feel like it does a good job of keeping all the levels and bosses relatively on par with each other (with a few exceptions like Blade Man), which makes it tricky to figure out where to start. Sheep Man and Strike Man are probably the easiest of the lot, but even then it's by a thin enough margin that I could just as easily see someone starting off a run on almost any other Robot Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like playing Super Metroid more, but I think Symphony of the Night would make for a more interesting LP, so I'm giving my vote to that one. Seeing a shift away from ranged combat would be nice and I think some of what makes Super Metroid great is lost in the LP format because you can't quite soak up the atmosphere the way you can when playing it for the first time on your own.

Also, since you asked for our stage rankings, in order of favorite to most hated mine would probably be:

Sheep Man, Galaxy Man, Splash Woman, Hornet Man, Tornado Man, Pump Man, Strike Man, Plug Man, Jewel Man, Nitro Man, Concrete Man, Magma Man, Commando Man, Chill Man, Blade Man, Solar Man

So, they mostly line up fairly well with your own rankings with a few exceptions, particularly Commando Man. I'd also say that the first 5 are ones I'd consider great, then the next 5 are decent, and the final 6 are ones which I consider bad or forgettable.

10 has a lot of great level settings, but Sheep Man's level is one of the few which I feel takes full advantage of it and I love both the colored disappearing block gimmick and the mouse cursor enemies. Sheep Man is also a better fight than Galaxy Man even though I like the latter's design more. Tornado Man I had the most trouble deciding on because his level is a nightmare if you try to go into it early, but I really like how it feels built around giving you a chance to really take full advantage of your weapons - it's almost more like a good fortress level than a Robot Master level. Plus, I like the changing weather and it has what is probably my favorite song between 9 and 10. Strike Man might have my favorite level setting and it has some great sports-themed enemies, but the platforming elements feel lacking.

I think every boss on the list after Nitro Man doesn't have a particularly memorable level with the exception of Commando Man, whose gimmick I simply don't like, though it may be more due to the obnoxious bombs than the gimmick itself. I like the "two-hit" ice blocks in Chill Man's level, but they don't do enough with it and it ends up being one of the most forgettable levels in the whole original series. Blade Man is a terribly balanced boss and, while I like the castle miniboss, the platforms in his level are a boring gimmick made even worse when they show up underwater in Wily 3 right after the checkpoint. As for Solar Man, his level manages to be even more tedious than Blade Man's, he's a frustrating fight if you don't have his weakness (he can block buster shots with the fire on his head), and everything about his level is made worse by the fact that I think a lot of the enemies in it are good in concept and his song is one of my favorites from 10.

Seeric fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 4, 2018

• Locked thread