Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Even if Jacob loses they'll be eating his sock rice.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It always feels so weird to me to see people who just aren't that comfortable in the water. I feel like swimming should just be something every kid should learn at some point.

Although, I don't know if I'd be able to hold my breath for very long but that's more of a :420: and old smoker lung thing than anything else.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

When will people learn that they have to put in some pool time before going on Survivor?

Pool, knots, fire making. :cmon:

Yeah, plus this.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Donathon is absurdly likable

I was literally just thinking the same loving thing.

Even though I still think it's hilarious that some kid from Kentucky hasn't ever made a fire or gone camping before.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jacob is a dumbass.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like seriously, why do you burn Morgan on the other tribe at the same time?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boxman posted:

Jacobs little quip while voting makes me want him gone real bad

Well, you got your wish.

And I'm glad. Jacob was dumb.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've decided Jacob was a weird lovechild of Seth Rogan, TJ Miller and Eric André, but he somehow managed to avoid inheriting any of their charisma.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that people seem to forget or are afraid to do is exhale while being underwater. When you hold your breath you tense up and don't release the build up of CO2 in your lungs. That buildup is what is actually making you feel uncomfortable when holding your breath, not a lack of oxygen. On a short dive like in that challenge, you want to hold your breath to start the initial dive and then slowly exhale (or in a few bursts) as you swim down to do the task.

The other problem is that swimming in the ocean IS actually different than swimming in a pool because salt water is more buoyant since it's more dense than freshwater.

Other than that, James should have dived down headfirst. It's very difficult to go down in water without actually facing down unless you can either pull yourself down or have a weight on you. The human body is naturally buoyant, generally speaking, and if you try to sink down feet first and then kick your legs, you are just going to pop right back up again. The way to dive down into the water is to just bend forward and go down. It can actually slightly easier if you kick slightly to pop out a little higher and then bend over to dive down.

Your legs are the main way you propel yourself underwater. Your arms are more for directional/fine control/assistance.

And remember, holding your breath is actually a skill that you can increase through practice, but it's also obviously affected by other things like smoking or asthma or other conditions. The average person can only hold their breath for around a minute.

edit - here's a fun world record: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-distance-swam-underwater-with-one-breath-(open-water)

edit2- the world record for holding your breath: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-time-breath-held-voluntarily-(male)
Otherwise known as a guy floating face down in water for a really long time, but it's kind of neat to watch the end and see the struggle to get that final minute and then the recovery.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 3, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Laffy Taffy! Banana flavored!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Weird that they swapped to two 9s instead of three 6s.

I don't get why everyone is enamored of their original tribe anymore. Swaps seem to happen quicker and more often now.

Like it seems like people should think only in terms of 'who is going to be my alliance for the next two tribals' and then revisit the same people if you end up sticking together.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm liking this dynamic of one team always being completely terrible at puzzles.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gotta factor in the ghost island segment now.

Especially with a big whiny baby! :v:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, Dominick can't play that fake idol at all.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to see Bradley get a knife in the back

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty rough to drop 5 people into a brand new camp with no shelter or anything.

I mean at that point, why even bother making a camp when they are almost certainly going to merge back to 2 groups in like 6 days at most?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Having to make a new shelter with five starving people on day 16 or whatever is incredible bullshit

Like that is my thinking as well. If they producers are going to drop back to 3 tribes then I think the odd tribe odd should at least get their shelter pre-built.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember his name, but the space cadet hippy guy did really good job with that puzzle too. It looked like he had some good recognition of parts just from the touch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, that's the guy.

I don't remember his name and he seems like a pretty cool guy, but he still looks like a total space cadet hippie.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I still love that moment of 'It's just a loving stick'

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love that they aren't even trying to hide poo poo anymore.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahahahaha, the Erik Idol necklace move.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, why is wrong with Dominic? Why did he jump into the water like that twice?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I think he is just physically spent and afraid to go too deep.

It was pretty drat awkward looking though

The proper Navy way to jump into water:

You must be able to jump into deep water from a 5- to 10-foot platform and find your way back to the surface easily. This activity simulates jumping ship and entails a particular set of rules regarding body positioning. You must not bend at the waist, and your head should be held high. You legs should be crossed at the ankle, and your arms should be crossed over your chest. You should use your inside arm to pinch your nose, bracing your hand by placing your pinky under your jaw. This keeps you from losing your grip from the impact of hitting the water.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I haven't pinched my nose jumping in the water since I was like 5. What the hell

The Navy wants to be better safe than sorry.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bradley lacks all self awareness and I can’t fathom how anyone could look at him talk and not want to punch him in the face.

Yeah that's my thinking as well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha

:byewhore:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Think this is a bone headed move here but can appreciate the comedy.

Ehhhh....I think the only reason to keep him around would be as a goat and I don't think it'd be very pleasant dealing with him for that entire time because you'd always have to let him think he was in control.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha

promo spoiler I'm too 'swa-vay'

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Previously on.....

Survivor

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

It's tiring that at a 13 person merge the edit focuses only on 2 people I don't care about.

As long as one of them goes this week, then it'll be fine. I just don't want this to be something that drags on all season long.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

Libby: I feel safe

Next scene: We should vote out Libby!

Classic Survivor.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao @ the Wendell vote.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jahahahahahhaha

With an idol in his pocket.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So two of the 4 girls from that little well meeting got burned, huh?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wendell owned at that challenge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, do I hate the eating challenges. I would never be able to do it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

I suppose hoping for a Jenna/Kellyn outcome was a bit much...oh well.

If Michael had made it a 2-2-2 tie instead of voting for Wendell (wtf Michael) I wonder how Dom/Wendell would have voted.

Well, since I assume they are the 2 who voted for Michael in the first place, I think it would have been an easy decision. They both wanted him gone more than anyone else.

I do think the Donathan/Jenna tribal could have gone differently if they had tried to use Michael/Laurel to figure out how the Naviti three were going to vote. But maybe they did and it just didn't get shown.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo, I'm about an hour behind and I just got to Angie telling Dom about Sea Bass and the extra vote.

WHat the loving poo poo Angie?

Like what kind of special mind goes 'Hey, I'm in the loop! Let's go tell everyone else!">?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Dom was friendly. Wendell was a friend.

Yeah, I think this is what it really boils down to in the end.

And that's not a knock on Dom because I'm sure he is actually a great friend, but his entire focus was on winning while it seemed like Wendell had his focus split between winning and actually forming relationships.

• Locked thread