Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well folks, it's late February which means the days are getting longer, heart shaped chocolate boxes are on clearance and NHL general managers are hard at work coming up with the latest excuse as to why they didn't get any deals done. That's right, it's NHL TRADE DEADLINE TIME!

NHL teams have to complete any and all trades* by 3:00 p.m. EST on Monday, February 26, 2018. Ties will be loosened, phones will be checked, rumblings will occur! Join us for all the thrills**, spills and Phils!

*technically not all trades
**thrills not a guarantee

Who's Buying/Who's Selling?

Sellers: As with every year in hockey, too many teams still think they're "in it" right now thanks to people thinking that being .500 is still significant 13 years after the shootout was introduced, so not not many teams are outright sellers. However, your usual suspects of Vancouver, Edmonton (they're back baby), Arizona, Buffalo and Ottawa are all far enough out that they can't really delude themselves into thinking they have a chance. The New York Rangers held a press conference saying they were jettisoning their core into the cold vacuum of space a couple weeks ago so I guess they're selling too. The Montreal Canadiens should be sellers as well, but their phone lines have been jammed for the past few weeks by folks calling up the stadium and screaming "FIRE BERGEVIN" down the receiver so they won't get anything done.

Buyers: The excuse du jour is that teams don't want to trade picks and prospects for rentals for some reason this year, so probably not many but Pittsburgh, Boston, Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose, and inexplicably Las Vegas are all poised to comfortably make the playoffs and have varying amounts of pressure to go deep this year. Washington is on top of the East, but they've gone all in on rentals a bunch of times in the past and it hasn't worked so you figure they'll be more cautious this year.

So Who's Actually for Sale?

Erik Karlsson - D - OTT The absolute biggest fish available and (if moved) the most significant player traded at the deadline in a decade or more. He's the best defenceman in the league by a fair margin, but Ottawa are terrible and run by a penniless charlatan man who just happens to like living in Barbados. The latest rumour is that the Sens want to dump Bobby Ryan and his giant contract with Karlsson, thus inexplicably damaging the return on the most valuable asset they've ever had. Odds are he ain't going anywhere quite yet.

Rick Nash - LW - NYR A once dominant sniper, he's aged into an effective two way winger these days. He's seriously overpaid, but his contract comes off the books at the end of the year so he's a true rental.

Evander Kane - LW - BUF A wildly inconsistent sniper, he can most often be found picking his sodden clothes out of shower stalls and quarreling with teammates. He's an all round terrible human so I have no idea why anyone would pay actual assets for him but here we are.

Ryan McDonagh - D - NYR The current Rangers captain and a steady, modern defensive defenceman. He'll fetch a pretty penny if he goes anywhere, but a deal for him is more likely to take place in the summer

Max Domi - LW - ARI A rough and tumble winger who had a good rookie year but has faded since. He's still fairly young which is pretty much all he has going for him.

Others: Thomas Vanek (VAN), Patrick Maroon (EDM), Michael Grabner (NYR), Jack Johnson (CBJ), Mike Green (DET)

TSN Trade Bait List

Can I Watch this on TV?

Yeah sure, if you want. Sportsnet, the NHL Network and TSN all have a special of some sort. They usually start around 9:00 a.m., but nothing happens until 15 minutes after the deadline so don't bother watching until after noon.

ESPN3 is airing tradecentre this year, and it will be on ESPN2 from 2-4PM EST.

Who should I pay attention to?

Bob McKenzie - @TSNBobMcKenzie
Pierre LeBrun - @PierreVLeBrun
Renaud Lavoie - @renlavoietva
Nick Kypreos - @RealKyper
Elliotte Friedman - @FriedgeHNIC

Jim Benning?

Yup, still there.

:siren::siren: MODNOTE :siren::siren: GDT rules are in effect. This means that drunkposting is permissible. In fact, it might even be recommended.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Boone Jenner could also be available.

What happened to Boone Jenner? He was a player I kinda liked a few years ago (although I'm always wary of guys who get way more goals than assists), but he seems to have just fallen off the table. Is he just lost in the shuffle in Columbus or what that 30 goal season a fluke?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The Sens are going to keep Karlsson, win the draft lottery and become the Edmonton Oilers but just with D mans.

Dahlin and Karlsson would win any team a cup

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Their combined salary right now isn’t that much more than Kalrssons will be in 2 years anyway.

Any team making a play for Karlsson has to think they'll be able to sign him long term, so that extra $7.25M of cap space wasted on Ryan's busted rear end is poison in any trade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly Kalrssons contract demands are probably a bigger deal. You can move Ryan to get rid of that cap hit, but if EK wants 12 million, you can’t do anything about that.

Karlsson is worth that, why wouldn't you pay him? A team competing for the cup can't have $7M of dead weight on their roster. A team like Ottawa can, and the only reason they're trying to move Ryan at the same time (and cratering Karlsson's value as a result) is because Melnyk is cheap as hell. I'd be incredibly upset with that mere suggestion if I were a Sens fan. Any Karlsson trade should begin a serious rebuild for the team around a A1 level prospect. If including Ryan lowers the return even 1%, then it should be a non-starter for the team. The Sens will get to trade a player like Karlsson once. Watching him go for 70 cents on the dollar because the owner is too cheap to cover a poor expense (of his own doing) is just a horrible slap in the face of anyone who supports the team in any way.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks are desperate for defensive prospects. Does Sven Baertschi fit the top six winger bill? He's a second liner, but a pretty consistent threat offensively that tends to mesh well with whoever he's playing with. He's also decently reliable as a checker and an RFA at the end of the season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I have no idea what to make of Vatrano. He seems so forgettable, but then again you don't go a goal a game for a 30+ game stretch randomly. I guess he just kinda flatlined, but it's so strange that all three of Vatrano, Khoklachev and Griffith all failed to pan out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

HE HAS 2 GOALS IN 25 GAMES

One time he had 36 in 36 in the AHL!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bizarre deformity posted:

Please don't perpetuate the rumors created by the racist Canadian media that Kane is locker room cancer, he is apparently a cool dude. He was playing the best hockey of his career earlier in the season. He's good and who knows, some other team might have someone he is extremely compatible with and turn him into a superstar.

Justin Falk lost his poo poo on Kane because they're best friends? Where there's smoke with fire with that guy. I'd say the rumours are overblown, but it's clear he's not been an especially popular teammate on two teams now.

There also aren't many "good guys" out there who have multiple reported instances of abusing women so I'm not sure what you're defending here.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Kane get a domestic violence arrest?

He's been investigated for assault a couple times, once in Winnipeg and once in Buffalo but both charges were ultimately dropped.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

i am the bird posted:

So, just to be clear, the theoretical trade would look like this:

Tampa sends picks/prospects/whatever to Ottawa for Karlsson and Ryan
Tampa then unloads Ryan to another team and sweetens the pot with picks/prospects/whatever

Right?

Otherwise, what is the point of linking the two? Ottawa could just shop Karlsson for a bigger haul and then package Ryan elsewhere with their own sweetener.

edit: this is all accepting Melnyk’s bizarre premise that the only way to trade Karlsson is to include Ryan.

More likely they split the difference such as:

Karlsson to Tampa
Picks and prospects to Ottawa
Ryan to Arizona
Prospect from Ottawa to Arizona
Prospect from Tampa to Arizona

Or something like that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please go nuclear Dorion this is awesome

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Just need to know that there's a dumber GM in the league than Jim Benning, huh? I agree.

IDK Dorion is at least getting assets for unnecessary pieces not doubling down on them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good return for Dorion. Still would've made more sense to just keep Zibanejad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly I’ll cheer for whenever EK goes.

Toronto? :raise:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep, don’t care.

Melnyk, Melnyk what have ye done?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

i don't really know anything about lindgren but i'd rather have had frederic

Lindgren ain't much of a prospect, so this is really just a 1st and a long shot for Nash.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's a good trade for New York dammit. In my mind Spooner is basically as good as Rick Nash these days, so I don't get this for Boston at all.

I was gonna do this gimmick where I was going to post "but Benning said that teams weren't trading UFAs for picks and prospects this year? :confused:" every time a deal for picks and prospects happened but it's actually kinda bumming me out so I won't. God I hate that mouth breathing simpleton.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

he's never cracked 40 points

e: oh, you were talking about nash
e: you got it

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Rangers got almost as much for washed up rental Nash than they did for prime of his career Nash six years ago.

Then: Nash, Delisle and a 3rd (which became Buchnevich) for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I was gonna do this gimmick where I was going to post "but Benning said that teams weren't trading UFAs for picks and prospects this year? :confused:" every time a deal for picks and prospects happened but it's actually kinda bumming me out so I won't. God I hate that mouth breathing simpleton.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oduya actually had no value? Jesus

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They should be. They have a couple pieces people want (Vanek, Tanev)and could easily get some nice picks for them while improving their own pick, and the only roster move they've made of import is re-signing a defenceman who is almost as hated as Luca Sbisa

They are about to finish bottom 3 for the third straight year and it's starting to look alarmingly possible they'll stand pat for the 2nd time in that stretch. The Rangers have been out of the playoff race for a month and have already made a series of full on rebuild moves. Couple that with the fact that our gm said a week ago that teams wouldn't be moving picks and prospects this year only to see some of the steepest deadline prices in years and I think Canucks fans are understandably upset with what has gone down so far.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Do Vanek or Tanev have NMC's of any kind?

Vanek has none, Tanev can submit an 8 team list. Tanev particularly should return a bumper haul given that he's 28, signed for another year at $4.5M and is a low end #1/high end #2. Any sensible GM should be able to corral that into a 1st, a good prospect and a roster player. Benning however has constantly wavered about moving him at all because of some perceived need to stay competitive and has refused to seriously entertain offers. They were apparently "listening" on him this week, but its been rumoured that teams aren't interested because "he gets injured too much" so the price is quite low. Benning has done nothing to create a market for him, and honestly he probably wouldn't trade him even with a 1st and a prospect on the table because he refuses to accept that he's rebuilding (or he thinks that the couple youngsters joining the team next year will be all we need to get back to respectability).

He's acting like he needs key pieces in place to ensure the team can win next year, in actuality it'll be 5-7 years before they can even sniff the playoffs and by then all of the old core and most of the current kids will no longer be in their primes. In some way I appreciate that eternal optimism in people, but having a sense of reality is the most important attribute a GM can have and Benning possesses none.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Supposedly no trade is close this is just precautionary which was the obvious thing to do but it took until now. Announcing it before might have made it seem like a trade was close and forced interested parties to rush to make a deal. Benning blows at gamesmanship.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

No one time he drafted a guy in the 5th round who has turned into a good prospect so obviously he is amazing at drafting. Please ignore the fact that he's blown two of three top 6 picks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am so ready to be disappointed and angry post about it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

trades please

It took until 1pm EST for the first trade last year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

zack smith is tsn's 6th best ranked available guy???

A GAME BUILT FOR THE PLAYOFFS (2 goals in 45 games - they didn't say it was a good game)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It took just 2 1/2 hours for the first trade centre related rap to air on TSN

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TSN just mentioned that "it's an incredible time to be in Winnipeg" which is a statement that is never truthful

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Vanek has 17 goals and 41 points? gently caress me, thats not bad at all. You’d think there would be more interest

He has a reputation as a playoff underperformer so that's it he sucks forever and the Canucks would be lucky to get a 3rd for him apparently. The TSN panel spent 3 minutes devoted to talking about how much of a floaty sack of poo poo he is.

In reality he's a good complementary scorer that meshes well with whoever you put him with. He's as good offensively as Nash and fine defensively.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Burrows cleared waivers :lol:

Is anyone surprised? That trade and subsequent re-signing last deadline was the most hilarious over assessment of a player I've ever seen. Burrows is a 37 year old checker.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Benning for the love of god if the Blues can move significant players for futures YOU CAN

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

*Jim Benning sits, hands folded, distant expression on his face, mouth slightly open. He stares at the opposite wall, and hums tunelessly. There is a phone, silent, on the desk in front of him - nothing else clutters the surface. As the camera pans to the side, we see the phone cord is not plugged in*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hft-fTHQWg

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Don't you dare give up another draft pick you dipshit

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Leipsic is a pretty fun little ball of hate player.

And Holm looked like the biggest joke of a defenceman I've ever seen in the preseason but supposedly was very good in the AHL and looked okay in the one game he played in the NHL so who knows what he is

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Loqieu posted:

Detailed practice analysis right here.

Love this creepy stalker footage of Tobias Enstrom

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Jumbo couldn't follow Patty for that reason

Actually I think it's mostly because you can't mow year round in Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Frank Seravelli has the voice of a preteen and the face of a middle aged man which I guess averages out to his actual age of 29

• Locked thread