Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rumored asks/possible returns:

Grabner: Original ask was a 1st, but more recently it has been reported as a 2nd + something else.

Nash: Rumored ask is a 1st + player/prospect + maybe something else - there's enough demand for him that they should get the asking price.

McDonagh: Being offered with a year left on his contract and no pressure to trade him right now, McD is being used to find out who teams are willing to part with, and to try to pry one of those close-to-untouchables away, like Sergachev, Heinen, or Nylander.

Desharnais: Rumors speak of a 5th rounder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I also want to see a Jarmo Special. TRADES TRADES TRADES

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Now, more than ever, you can't try to hide aging vets on your third line like you used to.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

His salary for the next four years is actually higher than the cap hit. He's also not injured, so that's $30m in real cash that you'd have to pay him over those four years, no help from insurance or a backdiving contract

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Too much heart to trade. Trade everyone else and make Zucc captain.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Yzerman said he isn't moving players from their current roster, meaning he isn't trading Sergachev or Point. I was hoping one of them would end up on the Rangers because that'd be a good trade for the Rangers (and probably not the Lightning.)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Tampa needs a RHD, so they'll probably get Green for a 1st.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Yesss, maximum entertainment value!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Jimmy Murphy is notoriously unreliable, but that seems 100% plausible.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Vegas takes 2m in cap hit next year, and pro-rated this year. How does the actual salary work out? Brassard is due a 2.5m signing bonus next year, his base salary this year is 2m, and his base salary next year is 1m. It makes sense if Vegas doesn't have to pay any of the signing bonus - the real cost next year is 400k and <500k this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

grack posted:

Vegas will have to pay the signing bonus if Brassard is on the roster at July 1(?). In terms of real money, Brassard is only due 3.5M so his actual cost is lower than his cap hit.

But doing that is not worth Ryan Reaves and a 4th round pick.

The Pens announcment says "Vegas is also retaining 40% of Brassard's salary this season." - I didn't know a team could retain salary for only one season, I thought it had to be for the whole contract? If so, that makes sense and is probably worth it for a 4th, unless they face each other in the finals.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it confirmed that the retention is for both years?

I thought it had to be for both years, but the Pens announcement says it's only this year.

"The Penguins sent forward Ryan Reaves and a 2018 fourth-round draft pick originally acquired from Vancouver to the Golden Knights. Vegas is also retaining 40% of Brassard's salary this season."

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-acquire-brassard-in-three-team-trade/c-296285780

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Perhaps Vegas is looking at the teams they'll face in the playoffs and sees Dallas in the wildcard and Anaheim in their division, two of the four fightingest teams in the league, plus LA and Nashville, who are #7+8 in fights, and Winnipeg, who has a lot of guys who get rough after the whistle. They might think having Reaves is a good option, or even a deterrent as a scratch. They have Engelland, but he hasn't fought since this preseason.

But yeah, Reaves sucks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

bub spank posted:

Dunno why some people are downplaying Brassard. His point production wasn't great last year, but he led the Sens in possession while playing against some pretty tough opposition. This year he's a .66 ppg player on a low-scoring team, and is the Sens second-best possession player behind Karlsson.

He's a legit 1b center, much more than just Bonino 2.0.

Brassard is a really good player and Pittsburgh is looking good for that threepeat. :smith:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Thufir posted:

I don't know how this would be the reason for taking Reaves but someone on Twitter mentioned a few days ago that teams might already be keeping a Seattle expansion draft in mind so I dunno, maybe a reason for some things that might otherwise seem odd.

Why would they acquire a guy who is a UFA after this season for a draft that'll happen in 2019 at earliest?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Seems like quite a bit for a 4th. 1.8m next year and ~500k this year. I guess there's good will going both ways between these teams, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Good return for the Rangers. I like how they're getting age ~20 defensemen, giving them a decent prospect pool which should be able to give them half an NHL D corps in a few years.

I know Spooner has been playing wing, but they're been short one NHL center all season and he easily fills a middle six role, if he sticks with the team.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

There was some kind of Norwegian interview with Zucc and apparently the Rangers want to keep my little hobbit son unless an offer blows them away. Today is a good day so far in Rangers land.

Please do, and make him our next Captain.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

True. They do have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of a deep draft, but getting another 2nd for Spooner would be worthwhile.

I wonder if the market would be better next year? They could sign him to a one year deal to bring him to UFA, make him play for a contract, and trade him next year. Seems like he might be worth a 1st with the right circumstances.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I predict we are going to see a three-way trade where Nashville acquires Erik Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh, 50% salary retained on both by the Rangers, NYR get all of Nashville's picks+prospects+Bobby Ryan+Alex Burrows, and the Sens get Alexei Emelin.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chances are, there's no demand for the other three pending UFAs. Pavelec isn't worth anything as a third-string goalie, Carey's best return is a younger AHLer/replacement level player, and it's possible that no contender has any interest in Desharnais.

McDonagh talks with Boston might've been what helped them learn that Spooner was replaceable. Could definitely do that with more teams at the draft.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

Please be Sergachev coming back for McD

Please. They can give up a LHD now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Something

BIG

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

a false posted:

sergachev and point better be in this if both mcdonagh and jt are in it

Yes please. And all the picks and prospects.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Please don't take Zucc.

But if the offer blows them away....

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I don't know anything about these prospects, but Brett Howden is fifth in scoring on a team that's really deep in hockey names.

Jett Woo
Kale Clague
Tate Popple
Daemon Hunt

That's not even including the Jaxan Kaluskis and Tristyn Hasalastnames.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009992018.html

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Duck Rodgers posted:

Jett Woo is from Winnipeg and absolutely needs to be drafted by the Jets

Or better, signed in as a free agent, just for the headline.

"Jets woo Jett Woo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

So in the east I should be cheering for anyone except the bruins, devils, or Tampa bay. I want them out early so those picks will be as high as possible.

BUT next year I should be cheering for Tampa to win the Cup so that second turns into a first. (31st overall though)

OR I cheer for Tampa to win the Cup this year and then take a huge nosedive next year so that pick becomes much higher.

Either way.

I would cheer for the latter due to cap selloffs, but apparently Tampa has <$68m in cap hit with 7D signed, and only JT Miller and some spare parts to resign.

• Locked thread