Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If Zarco Dovi or Rossi don't win the championship this year I'm gonna be upset

It's gonna be Marquez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Wirth1000 posted:

It's gonna be Marquez.

Sad but probably true. He just has a consistency no one else does. I don't even know why I dislike him anymore, I kind of feel like a jackass for not liking him. I'm probably just resentful that I wasn't 20 years old making millions racing motorcycles.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hayden. posted:

Sad but probably true. He just has a consistency no one else does. I don't even know why I dislike him anymore, I kind of feel like a jackass for not liking him. I'm probably just resentful that I wasn't 20 years old making millions racing motorcycles.

I used to resent that. Then as I got older my interests shifted from wanting to be a rider to being a team owner.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

That was an insane lap, the man's a Jedi master. And with every trick he pulls out of his rear end, the factory Yamahas look ever more foolish. It also shows the Yamaha is actually a lot less easy to get the maximum from than people think; it's a lot more approachable than the red and orange bikes, but you still need to be able to Lorenzo it up to get laptimes comparable to seasoned riders on other bikes.

I think the most impressive thing is that we've come so far with tyre technology, that the record set on a Yamaha ridden by a time attack genius on custom built 3-lap qualifiers and tailor made tcs has been broken by three different bikes on 'regular' tyres, all with generic electronic aids, one of whom is likely to be able to do race distance on those same tyres.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the extra 200ccs of engine displacement help a fair bit. Wasn't Zarco running the same fairings as Rossi? They looked like the had the aero stuff. I'm not trying to say that Zarco is not doing well, but who knows what collection of parts he's got in that bike. I thought there was some mention that Rossi / Vinales were playing around with the 2016 chassis as well?

I'm not really sure if the Michelin tires are 'better' but they are definitely different. Seems like less edge grip and the front isn't ridden anything like how the Bridgestone was. I was just noticing during the race how quickly the riders are getting the bike upright, seems like the Michelin rear is best when you can get it on the fat section.

If Zarco Dovi or Rossi don't win the championship this year I'm gonna be upset

Rossi doesn't seem to have the killer instinct like he used to. I think the Rossi of the late 00s pushes hard enough near the end of the race to be in the mix with Dovi / Marquez. It was pretty obvious that he sat up after that last push of pace by Dovi/Marquez. I haven't been following testing enough, but is there any evidence that Ducati has gotten better on their 'bogey' tracks? If they can be more competitive on those weak tracks Dovi will have a good shot. One of these days Marquez is going to have a crash he doesn't just pop up from. Isn't he crashing some insane amount every weekend?

1500quidporsche posted:

It looked like they all conserving their tires and Zarco just burnt his out trying run at the front. Dovi wasn't too aggressive until the end despite having a really awful start so he definitely was just saving his tires.

It seems like the Michelins can't be ridden at the same pace lap over lap like the bridgestones - which is good for the racing. Seems a bit like how F1 is going these days with riders hold back until later in the race when the bikes are lighter and probably a bit easier on tires. I wonder if Petrucci / Crutchlow losing weight is something to do with that. Anything they can do to increase tire life.

I thought that move Marquez did at the first corner of lap 5 when he clearly missed his braking point and nearly hit both Rossi and Zarco, then nearly hit the apex was a thing of beauty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

It's cause when you know one guy is head and shoulders above the others it makes it seem unfair, like he has to be handicapped in some way to give the others a chance.

Dovi is the greatest working man's hero ever holy poo poo. A mortal ascended to Olympus at last.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

n8r posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the extra 200ccs of engine displacement help a fair bit. Wasn't Zarco running the same fairings as Rossi? They looked like the had the aero stuff. I'm not trying to say that Zarco is not doing well, but who knows what collection of parts he's got in that bike. I thought there was some mention that Rossi / Vinales were playing around with the 2016 chassis as well?

I'm not really sure if the Michelin tires are 'better' but they are definitely different. Seems like less edge grip and the front isn't ridden anything like how the Bridgestone was. I was just noticing during the race how quickly the riders are getting the bike upright, seems like the Michelin rear is best when you can get it on the fat section.

Rossi doesn't seem to have the killer instinct like he used to. I think the Rossi of the late 00s pushes hard enough near the end of the race to be in the mix with Dovi / Marquez. It was pretty obvious that he sat up after that last push of pace by Dovi/Marquez. I haven't been following testing enough, but is there any evidence that Ducati has gotten better on their 'bogey' tracks? If they can be more competitive on those weak tracks Dovi will have a good shot. One of these days Marquez is going to have a crash he doesn't just pop up from. Isn't he crashing some insane amount every weekend?

It seems like the Michelins can't be ridden at the same pace lap over lap like the bridgestones - which is good for the racing. Seems a bit like how F1 is going these days with riders hold back until later in the race when the bikes are lighter and probably a bit easier on tires. I wonder if Petrucci / Crutchlow losing weight is something to do with that. Anything they can do to increase tire life.

I thought that move Marquez did at the first corner of lap 5 when he clearly missed his braking point and nearly hit both Rossi and Zarco, then nearly hit the apex was a thing of beauty.

Didn’t they say Rossi and Marquez had personal best lap times for the second to last (or last?) lap? I don’t know about killer instinct, but it seems like he’s just not quite as fast as Márquez.

I love how Dovi has Marquez’s number on last corners.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Rossi's problem is the Yamaha

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

builds character posted:

Didn’t they say Rossi and Marquez had personal best lap times for the second to last (or last?) lap? I don’t know about killer instinct, but it seems like he’s just not quite as fast as Márquez.

I love how Dovi has Marquez’s number on last corners.

Sure - but I think they have to nurse the tires a bit more to get to the point where there is still something left.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh gently caress, Lorenzo had no brakes lol

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/03/19/lorenzo-left-without-brakes-in-qatar/253226

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One of those wonderful Italian own goals that they can't seem to engineer out of the crew. Iirc last year petrucci's bike caught on fire.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

My dream of a lorenzo/zarco co-championship is still alive!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oh, is he Mallorcan? You don't say...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Did Mallorca declare independence too?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poty posted:

Did Mallorca declare independence too?

All hail King Lorenzo the first, the black mamba, slayer of the yellow puta, spreader of butter, supreme monarch of Mallorca.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/dovizioso-honda-suzuki-talks-new-ducati-deal-1016867/

Dovi in talks with Honda & Suzuki... basically just a "leak" to put pressure on Ducati to give him a proper contract. Which he fully deserves. 2mil vs Lorenzo's 12mil.

Just fire Lorenzo and give Dovi 14mil and make Ducati into a one bike manufacturer team. Don't even try and tell me it's been anything but!!!!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/dovizioso-honda-suzuki-talks-new-ducati-deal-1016867/

Dovi in talks with Honda & Suzuki... basically just a "leak" to put pressure on Ducati to give him a proper contract. Which he fully deserves. 2mil vs Lorenzo's 12mil.

Just fire Lorenzo and give Dovi 14mil and make Ducati into a one bike manufacturer team. Don't even try and tell me it's been anything but!!!!

God I hope Pedrosa gets the boot. Make way for Zarco.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If you have to do a promo for the company, might as well have some fun with it.
http://www.motogp.com/en/youtube_update/2018/03/22/marquez-and-pedrosa-fuel-some-laughs-for-fans/253484

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WSBK in Buriram Thailand this weekend. Race one today and back our normal show with J. Rea winning, Xavi Flores got second and Chaz Davies pulled a 3rd out of a hat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Camier proves his brilliance yet again.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Holy poo poo does Ducati need to figure out the wobble for Melandri.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've watched Hitting The Apex at least three times in the last four days, is it time for Argentina yet?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

mad.radhu posted:

I've watched Hitting The Apex at least three times in the last four days, is it time for Argentina yet?

Next Weekend, April 8th.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to watch the GP race. Zarco is still out riding his tires, but what a show.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In :psyduck: news, Kevin bleeding Schwantz is doing a wildcard moto2 appearance at COTA. Don't know what to think.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

In :psyduck: news, Kevin bleeding Schwantz is doing a wildcard moto2 appearance at COTA. Don't know what to think.

Uhhh...... ........ are we sure this isn't some April Fools joke? MotoGP.com is pretty gung-ho about it. What?

.....lmao, what?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's gonna show those whippersnappers a thing or two about highsides I guess?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

He's gonna show those whippersnappers a thing or two about highsides I guess?

Followed by a Wayne Rainey lesson on lowsides

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

It was right under the "Lewis Hamilton switching to two wheels" article. I gave it a pass as another April Fools joke.

they re-tagged the article on motogp.com: We hope you enjoyed our April Fools Day!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress my life. I just cared too much I guess.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Legit disappointed that was fake.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Schwantz is at drat near every major motorcycle event in Texas, I've met him and listened to a number of stories, next time I see him I know he'll get a laugh out of folks actually being disappointed he wasn't going to race.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty disappointing yeah. Why would they April fools a story people WANT to be true?!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey, I want Lewis Hamilton to switch to two-wheeled racing.

That would be FASCINATING

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would say Rossi should switch to four-wheeled racing, but that would be a step down for Rossi. Cars are the worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd want to see Hamilton on a bike just for the hilarity every time he finishes 30s behind Karel Abraham.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Him and Cal rode some bikes together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFQ2EA9NNtI

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

I would say Rossi should switch to four-wheeled racing, but that would be a step down for Rossi. Cars are the worst.

you do know that Rossi has run multiple rally events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zU1g9ZnTWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQEdbjkUsCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTviDYWSm8M

He's also stated multiple times, that when he retires from bikes, he wants to rally.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
He flirted with Ferrari F1 in the past. If he hadn't stayed competitive on bikes (Ducati years notwithstanding) I would have expected him to switch to cars.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Argentina this weekend. Marquez does warp speed laps:
pre:
1	93	Marc MARQUEZ	SPA	Repsol Honda Team	Honda	325.0	1'39.395	
2	35	Cal CRUTCHLOW	GBR	LCR Honda CASTROL	Honda	325.7	1'39.799	0.404 / 0.404
3	53	Tito RABAT	SPA	Reale Avintia Racing	Ducati	324.8	1'40.346	0.951 / 0.547
4	29	Andrea IANNONE	ITA	Team SUZUKI ECSTAR	Suzuki	316.8	1'40.455	1.060 / 0.109
5	26	Dani PEDROSA	SPA	Repsol Honda Team	Honda	319.3	1'40.494	1.099 / 0.039
6	25	Maverick VIÑALES	SPA	Movistar Yamaha MotoGP	Yamaha	320.6	1'40.510	1.115 / 0.016
7	46	Valentino ROSSI	ITA	Movistar Yamaha MotoGP	Yamaha	317.9	1'40.577	1.182 / 0.067
8	42	Alex RINS	SPA	Team SUZUKI ECSTAR	Suzuki	318.0	1'40.592	1.197 / 0.015
9	19	Alvaro BAUTISTA	SPA	Angel Nieto Team	Ducati	320.5	1'40.766	1.371 / 0.174
10	41	Aleix ESPARGARO	SPA	Aprilia Racing Team Gresini	Aprilia	314.0	1'40.800	1.405 / 0.034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Marquez is scary. Extremely quick, extreme bike control, and seemingly impervious to mind games.