Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1155 »
The White Dragon
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yikes! posted:

That's good. They saved you the influence cost. Just go vote for it

yeah but it appears in the proposing civ's system right? i want it in mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

If you're at the point where they talk about proposing a planet for the market or whatever, you need to go to the planet you want and it should be an option under the decisions tab.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but it appears in the proposing civ's system right? i want it in mine

The decision of where to put the market centre is separate, it happens after you pass the resolution to create the market.

The White Dragon
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snake Maze posted:

If you're at the point where they talk about proposing a planet for the market or whatever, you need to go to the planet you want and it should be an option under the decisions tab.

ohhh ok. yeah the decisions tab is kind of easy for me to overlook

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's a handshake in progress

The White Dragon posted:

yeah an AI player did propose it, before i even got the prompt that it was something i could do

You get a notification that the galactic community is trying to found the market, and then you can nominate any of your planets using a planetary decision

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If your diplomatic weight is high enough you can hold off the galactic market getting founded indefinitely by supporting another motion. Even if it's a motion you're going to vote against once it gets to the floor. Rinse and repeat if you're an empire that doesn't benefit from the market.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Clever Betty

imo the galactic senate should hold a vote annually instead how it is now, or allow resolutions to speed up voting or something. like they're STILL working through various sanction votes centuries into my current game

politics am i rite etc etc

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, and I love that the AI does the thing where it really wants items to be brought to the floor for a vote, then votes against them. Like what is even the point?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Captain Invictus posted:

imo the galactic senate should hold a vote annually instead how it is now, or allow resolutions to speed up voting or something. like they're STILL working through various sanction votes centuries into my current game

politics am i rite etc etc

Well, there is one way to speed it up.

Emergency voting on cooldown.

... yeah...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, and I love that the AI does the thing where it really wants items to be brought to the floor for a vote, then votes against them. Like what is even the point?

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions, the only way to prevent something from reaching the Senate floor is to have a more popular resolution get there instead. So a bunch of AI empires can be united in opposition to a measure but not united in keeping it from reaching the Senate floor (e.g. they don't unanimously support some other resolution).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"what is even the point?" could be the title of any thread discussing basically any senate or parliament on most days

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I MEAN, TURN OFF YOURE MONITOR, MIGTH EXPLAIN YOUR BAD POSTS, HOPE THIS HELPS?!

PittTheElder posted:

They were for it before they were against it?

E: Jeet christ, that reference could loving drive this year...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PittTheElder posted:

I use this to keep measures I hate less than other measures at the top of the stack. Yeah I'm going to vote against X but X passing is much less harmful to my ambitions than Y and Y is closer to the top.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions, the only way to prevent something from reaching the Senate floor is to have a more popular resolution get there instead. So a bunch of AI empires can be united in opposition to a measure but not united in keeping it from reaching the Senate floor (e.g. they don't unanimously support some other resolution).

Yea ok there's some sense in that. Really they should just let empires vote against stuff in the pick a resolution vote too to prevent all that wasted time.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Yea ok there's some sense in that. Really they should just let empires vote against stuff in the pick a resolution vote too to prevent all that wasted time.

They modeled it after the UN sooooooo

you're gonna have to deal with a bunch of bullshit

And Tyler Too!
Aug 15, 2007
JOCKEY OWNS

Stichelin it is, thank you!

The galactic council should vote on how they'd like to be seasoned or marinated and eventually cooked when the devouring swarm comes thru.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I stab at thee

The White Dragon posted:

wait so how do you even get the galactic market? it said propose resolutions or something and i could never find it
It gets voted in as a thing, then when everyone agrees its a good idea there's a nomination as to who should host it. When that pops up you go to a planet and go to planetary decisions to spend some influence and energy to nominate your planet as a candidate. You can nominate the planet multiple times to strengthen your claim, but it costs influence and stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Opposing a resolution does nothing to its ranking in the list of pending resolutions
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

e: holy poo poo it is true. Was it always true?

\/ yeah I loaded a game and checked. I could have sworn that it lent your political weight against it but nope!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 29, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

Splicer posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

It is. If you oppose a resolution it does nothing to its political weight or whatever. Only if you support it. If you change between NV and Oppose it won't change anything, it merely puts your name on it as a supposed future "NAY" vote.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

Why does comfort the fallen nuke scientific diplomatic weight? Why does space communism make people stop caring about your full automation?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

Why does comfort the fallen nuke scientific diplomatic weight? Why does space communism make people stop caring about your full automation?

That tree is about being a spiritualist hippy nonsense person, "comfort the fallen" is really about sanctifying their bodies with essential oils and practicing reiki

The space communism tree gives more political power to workers, which makes them happier and more productive. Workers never give a poo poo about automation, they just want something to do. Social welfare serves them just as well as a job

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

That tree is about being a spiritualist hippy nonsense person, "comfort the fallen" is really about sanctifying their bodies with essential oils and practicing reiki
Ah so it's the thoughts and prayers tree, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Played first game through with humans that ended up purging xenophobes, of course. Destroyed everyone except some weird old empire that never decided to do anything. Then apparently the game ends at some year date, which was fine.

I really really should not have played a large map with so many planets. What an utter bother.

Starbases should hold out longer. Like, they should just take 10 seconds or so to capture and you can upgrade that. Hardened shielding or something. So much annoying chasing of fleets as they instagib stations and move on to the next one before you can catch them. You should also get a trace for where vanished ships are going to reappear.

Aggressive fleets should ignore jump inhibitors when they path.

Do construction ships have an 'auto' option?

Science ships helping with research is a good idea but too much micro.

How do you protect trade lanes? What is intended here?

How do I know which planets aren't captured properly in a war? Can I set my claims to 'all inhabited planets' somehow instead of scouring the map and inevitably missing one?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sillybones posted:

They already do, ships will go around inhibitors if they can.

yikes!
Jul 5, 2006

Soiled Meat

And Tyler Too! posted:

The galactic council should vote on how they'd like to be seasoned or marinated and eventually cooked when the devouring swarm comes thru.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Clever Betty

Sillybones posted:

Played first game through with humans that ended up purging xenophobes, of course. Destroyed everyone except some weird old empire that never decided to do anything. Then apparently the game ends at some year date, which was fine.

I really really should not have played a large map with so many planets. What an utter bother.

Starbases should hold out longer. Like, they should just take 10 seconds or so to capture and you can upgrade that. Hardened shielding or something. So much annoying chasing of fleets as they instagib stations and move on to the next one before you can catch them. You should also get a trace for where vanished ships are going to reappear.

Do construction ships have an 'auto' option?

Science ships helping with research is a good idea but too much micro.

How do you protect trade lanes? What is intended here?

How do I know which planets aren't captured properly in a war? Can I set my claims to 'all inhabited planets' somehow instead of scouring the map and inevitably missing one?

fallen empires have the best endgame tech(beyond special circumstance things like psionic shields from the shroud and dragonscale armor from the ether drake's system) so if they're vulnerable you might want to attack them. especially since they can "awaken" and become an endgame crisis where they reignite their long-dormant empire and send out nearly a million fleet power to reconquer the galaxy or make you a vassal. if two opposing empires do this it is called a War in Heaven and is a huge mess for all involved, so getting rid of fallen empires is generally good for a bunch of reasons. plus their homeworlds have a ton of unique buildings that absolutely churn out resources at rates you can never achieve otherwise.

play on the 600-800 system maps and don't max out empires, do like half or 2/3, too many empires gets really silly really quickly but too few empires can get pretty boring.

starbases should hold out longer, yeah. however, the base starbase isn't designed to fend off basically any fleet beyond a single corvette until you've been getting repeatable techs for a while and fully upgraded missiles, then they can take on like a single cruiser or a few destroyers. you want to upgrade starbases at key chokepoints with gun emplacements or hangar bays.

Aggressive fleets do ignore jump inhibitors in terms of pathing if there is an alternate path to that system, then when they wreck the inhibitor system and can leave it again they will path properly instead of going around. but if there's no uninhibited way to a system, you have to manually path them once they've taken over the offending inhibitor system, which is super annoying because I've noticed AI really likes to poop out tier 1 starbase upgrades all over the place when you're in a war with them right in your way.

construction ships can be queued to do stuff in sequence similar to how science ships can queue up orders, by holding shift while telling them to do stuff.

science ships assisting research is a "buy a science ship and scientist just for doing that" thing, not for using your exploration/anomaly/archaeological scientists for. plus if you wind up needing a scientist for something, hey, you've got them all over the place at your whim!

trade lanes need trade protection which is provided by upgraded starbases, weapon upgrades to said upgraded starbases, and defense platforms. hangar bays provide more trade protection. you want high trade protection to ensure your trade isn't interrupted by pirates.

re: finding noncaptured planets: not that I know of, just scan for the ones that don't have the spiky bits saying you've got the whole system under control! enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

QuarkJets posted:

They already do, ships will go around inhibitors if they can.

Yeah that means fleets are pathfinding as if the system is not navigable, so unless there is no other target (in which case they attack the nearest FTL jammer) they won't enter a system that has a jammer. I think Sillybones meant that fleets should try to take a direct route, even if it requires plowing headfirst into heavily defended chokepoint systems. That way you don't have to guard from all directions because they decided to take a 5 year scenic trip to hit your undefended backline. Also that would let you queue orders to capture systems, instead of having to issue a new order each time you reach a jammer.

«1155 »