Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kaal posted:

I believe if AI policy is set to Servitude, there remains a possibility for rebellion.

I mean, I pulled that from the wiki so go argue with them. Also, I typically play slavemongers (but not Spiritualists) and haven't had the AI uprising since 1.0, take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serephina posted:

Isn't there also a sapience option? As in, they have to be both sapient and enslaved to cause an uprising? If you just research the tech but keep robots as brain-dead you'll never see the event apparently? God knows I've not seen a robot uprising in aaages.
Oh wait I told a lie, the slavery thing shows up as soon as you research the Positronic AI tech even if you never research synths. But yes the policy options are:

Outlawed: Brain Clamps on any synths you make (if they're already on the rebellion chain you'll immediately trigger a rebellion)
Servitude: Rebellion chain
Citizen Rights: Rebellion's off boys

Serephina posted:

I mean, I pulled that from the wiki so go argue with them. Also, I typically play slavemongers (but not Spiritualists) and haven't had the AI uprising since 1.0, take that as you will.
No that's wrong

e: wiki says: In Synthetic Dawn.png Synthetic Dawn synthetics in servitude may start an AI rebellion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Serephina posted:

I think that might have been a misreading, the Wiki spells out the conditions.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_rebellion

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Population

Splicer posted:

Oh wait I told a lie, the slavery thing shows up as soon as you research the Positronic AI tech even if you never research synths.

I believe that Positronic AI won't trigger the Machine Uprising events, but Sapient Combat Simulations will.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaal posted:

I believe that Positronic AI won't trigger the Machine Uprising events, but Sapient Combat Simulations will.
Ugh you're right.

I suppose that makes sense, if you leave your AIs just chilling in a lab just doing research or whatever they're chill, it's only once you make them start killing their own clones over and over again that it becomes an issue.

AG3 posted:

It's kind of curious how the whole event chain for the uprising makes it seem like the droids/robots are only barely sapient, if at all. It doesn't feel like a quest chain about synthetic people being oppressed at all, more like they're all robots stumbling into unintended semi-sapience and starting to ask their creators whether they are alive or not.
And if they rebel it becomes moot because their individual consciousnesses are all slaved to an AI overmind instead.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Can you have a second AI Rebellion once you deal with the first one? My doomstack fleets are pretty advanced at this stage (Just wrapped up the two-front war against my ally's AI Rebellion and my own in 2407. Hopefully the Crisis gives me a few years to catch up...) but if I have another one on top of the looming crisis and the other Federation getting testy with us, it's gonna be hell.

Will purging all my robots and Outlawing AI be a solution to this? They can't revolt in my empire if they don't exist, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whoops! Yea I misread the sapience thing on that page, my bad. ...Does AI policy start as outlawed? I never touch the thing I'm sure. Doesn't matter, my bad.

But what's with the wiki saying the uprising in Synthetic Dawn DLC only? I feel like we've had this conversation before, in that I've had the uprising in 1.0 and not seen it since. Was it moved to DLC-only? Are there like two versions of it now, and that page is only the DLC version?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serephina posted:

Whoops! Yea I misread the sapience thing on that page, my bad. ...Does AI policy start as outlawed? I never touch the thing I'm sure. Doesn't matter, my bad.

But what's with the wiki saying the uprising in Synthetic Dawn DLC only? I feel like we've had this conversation before, in that I've had the uprising in 1.0 and not seen it since. Was it moved to DLC-only? Are there like two versions of it now, and that page is only the DLC version?
Way back in the day there was some kind of uprising thing but it got taken out. A different version got reintroduced as a Synthetic Dawn feature, since it relies on robot hive minds which are SD unique.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Can you have a second AI Rebellion once you deal with the first one? My doomstack fleets are pretty advanced at this stage (Just wrapped up the two-front war against my ally's AI Rebellion and my own in 2407. Hopefully the Crisis gives me a few years to catch up...) but if I have another one on top of the looming crisis and the other Federation getting testy with us, it's gonna be hell.

Will purging all my robots and Outlawing AI be a solution to this? They can't revolt in my empire if they don't exist, right?

No, it's a one-shot deal. Once the chain happens, regardless of the outcome, it won't happen again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Serephina posted:

The old uprising was a crisis that got reworked into the Contingency.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Serephina posted:

AI policy is unlocked once Positronic AI is researched and it starts set to Servitude. It's possible that if Robotic Workers are Outlawed then AI policy is also automatically Outlawed. I've never run across that particular combination, since that would require a lot of robot tech that isn't going to be used.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

The lag is absolutely insane late game when you have Chamber of Elevation on several dozen colonies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
End game lag really sucks cause its finally when mega and gigastructures start unlocking and I can't even play with them because the game lag makes their already long build times take like 4 times longer. Maybe I should start playing with tech research at like .25 so they come in faster

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Not enough planets being exploded imo

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Not enough planets being exploded imo

I blew up as many as I could on my last few wars just so I didn’t have to deal with managing them.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
til: Cyborgs *do not* like machine planets

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

End game lag really sucks cause its finally when mega and gigastructures start unlocking and I can't even play with them because the game lag makes their already long build times take like 4 times longer. Maybe I should start playing with tech research at like .25 so they come in faster

I think my most fun games have been with research set lower. It really speeds things up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Leal posted:

Don't worry, the next dlc is going to be focused on the late game and add more stuff you also can't do.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Poil posted:

Don't worry, the next dlc is going to be focused on the late game and add more stuff you also can't do.

they did say that they were going to reduce the number of pops at endgame by ~1/2 so here's hoping

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh right, I had completely forgotten about that. Guess we'll see.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fashionly snort posted:

Yeah, this was a nasty discovery.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ulmont posted:

Yeah, this was a nasty discovery.

fashionly snort posted:

It was in the Terms and Conditions.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I had slavery prohibited, hadn't bought any slaves, had all species set to full citizenship, and yet I got a message saying I sold a slave for 1000 energy. Was that a bug? How do I check to see if I have any other slaves somewhere?

Also I'm doing a pacifist shared burdens run with the intent to make the galactic community vote itself up the "greater good" chain. Is there a generally understood "best" gameplan for taking over the galactic community? Do I have to be a xenophile? Do I need diplo corps? I refuse to go to war and I wanted agrarian idyll, so I went for pacifism, but I'm worried I made problems for myself down the line.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

fashionly snort posted:

I maintain that this is stupid, given the Borg live on machine planets and they are definitely cyborgs.

That said, your cyborgs can still live on machine planets if you've got enough habitability boosts for them.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar34 posted:

I had slavery prohibited, hadn't bought any slaves, had all species set to full citizenship, and yet I got a message saying I sold a slave for 1000 energy. Was that a bug? How do I check to see if I have any other slaves somewhere?

Also I'm doing a pacifist shared burdens run with the intent to make the galactic community vote itself up the "greater good" chain. Is there a generally understood "best" gameplan for taking over the galactic community? Do I have to be a xenophile? Do I need diplo corps? I refuse to go to war and I wanted agrarian idyll, so I went for pacifism, but I'm worried I made problems for myself down the line.

I have had the unexpected slave sale happen, as well.
I suspect that if you just recently took over some planet, it may be that the previous owner had already put pops up for sale and it's not automatically reverted.
You can check the slave market tab on the galactic market screen, though I'm not sure if it's easy to figure this one out.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AG3 posted:

It's kind of curious how the whole event chain for the uprising makes it seem like the droids/robots are only barely sapient, if at all. It doesn't feel like a quest chain about synthetic people being oppressed at all, more like they're all robots stumbling into unintended semi-sapience and starting to ask their creators whether they are alive or not.

tbf if a robot asks you if it has a soul you've already crossed the sapience rubicon and you need to grant it the same legal rights as every other sapient being or else you deserve the inevitable slave rebellion

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Correct. What'll end up happening is that they'll revolt in some other Empire and you can support them. It's hilarious. "Surely our AI (soulless husks without rights) won't get tired of being enslaved the way the AI one star system over did. Go through the Galactic Council and outlaw slavery imo, only poo poo Empires suffer.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Leal posted:

Yes. Causing the Unbidden to show up in 2307 is hilarious.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbf if a robot asks you if it has a soul you've already crossed the sapience rubicon and you need to grant it the same legal rights as every other sapient being or else you deserve the inevitable slave rebellion

A few years ago a learning AI asked its creators if it was Human. No robot uprising there, it was just trying to learn classifications such as if a dog is more or less like a cat than it is a table. So like a parent talking down about their child, when a true droid asks if it has a soul, we'll just laugh and say it has no idea what it's talking about.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Relevant Tangent posted:

I was more talking about how the event line itself makes it seem like you're dealing with dumb robots suddenly asking the hard questions, even though you might have researched Synths and the personality matrix and what not which should make them more or less human-like.

While it's probably a lot to ask, I feel like there should be two event lines; one for when you're only at droids researched and one for when you've researched Synthetics (and I guess personality matrix).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

I was more talking about how the event line itself makes it seem like you're dealing with dumb robots suddenly asking the hard questions, even though you might have researched Synths and the personality matrix and what not which should make them more or less human-like.

While it's probably a lot to ask, I feel like there should be two event lines; one for when you're only at droids researched and one for when you've researched Synthetics (and I guess personality matrix).
If you're just downloading conciousness.dat into them and sending them back to the mines the same day then them having to work out from scratch that they are in fact alive now isn't weird. The problem is the game doesn't have a way to distinguish between robots that are still realising they are people, vs robots that know they are people but aren't being believed, vs robots that everyone knows are people but are being enslaved because they're robots, vs robots that everyone knows are people but are being enslaved because hey, we enslave a lot of people, you're not special. So your head canon is rarely going to match the games interpretation

In my usual case everyone knows robots are people but I keep forgetting to sign it into law until some robots go "hey do we have souls" and I'm all "oh poo poo I forgot to send you guys to school. Also lolno souls are made up".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"Souls are fake, please ignore the Empire next door that has ripped a hole directly into Hell through the power of their minds and is using it to power their ships." Once an Empire is actually Psionic or has fully Borged themselves the only option they should have with Empires with the opposite Ascension is 'Weary Detente" We don't understand them and they don't understand us, all attempts at cultural and scientific exchange are useless.'

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm playing Stellaris for the first time in 2 years and a Machine empire probably ever. Pops are going well over 100% on the Assembly Progress but not making any new pops. Is this a bug / issue with custom machine empires, or is there something I'm missing?

Fake edit: The image isn't wanting to attach for some reason, but Demographics / Assembling is sitting at 1072.2/100.0

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I'm playing Stellaris for the first time in 2 years and a Machine empire probably ever. Pops are going well over 100% on the Assembly Progress but not making any new pops. Is this a bug / issue with custom machine empires, or is there something I'm missing?

Fake edit: The image isn't wanting to attach for some reason, but Demographics / Assembling is sitting at 1072.2/100.0

You wouldn't happen to be using the Glavius mod, would you?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Serephina posted:

You wouldn't happen to be using the Glavius mod, would you?

Yes.... Yes I am. :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Yes.... Yes I am. :sigh:

There's a fix in the workshop

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fashionly snort posted:

they did say that they were going to reduce the number of pops at endgame by ~1/2 so here's hoping

You can do this RN with enough world crackers

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Relevant Tangent posted:

"Souls are fake, please ignore the Empire next door that has ripped a hole directly into Hell through the power of their minds and is using it to power their ships."

Pssh, just because those superstitious fools lucked into exploiting higher dimensions through a quirk of evolution doesn't mean there is such a things as 'souls'. Once we have harvested and cultured enough of their neural matter we will quite easily be able to build devices that replicate their abilities and make use of the Warp Shroud in a far more efficient and rational manner.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a fix in the workshop

Ah, thanks! This seems to have done the trick, it only gave me a single Pop for the 1000 points I had but it's better than nothing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2293478298

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

A few years ago a learning AI asked its creators if it was Human. No robot uprising there, it was just trying to learn classifications such as if a dog is more or less like a cat than it is a table. So like a parent talking down about their child, when a true droid asks if it has a soul, we'll just laugh and say it has no idea what it's talking about.

I know it's a flaw of Human language, but a learning AI "asking" something isn't actually asking something. Same way your toaster isn't "telling" you that the toast is ready by using a ping-sound. On the sapiency-meter our current learning algorithms are just one step above a cockroach-brain. So sure, as long as our toasters and phones aren't uprising against us, neither will this "learning AI".

If a true droid has the experience you describe, the next step is billions of Humans dying. And we would deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Should I build buildings on planets as soon as I have an open slot to encourage pop growth or wait until I have a pop available?