Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Turn off auto-best this game has no idea what it's supposed to be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have aggression set on low specifically so I don't ever have to design a ship. Auto Club until I die.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ragnar34 posted:

I have aggression set on low specifically so I don't ever have to design a ship. Auto Club until I die.

A mix of lasers and guns for offense, and as many shields as possible on defense. That will carry you even on Grand Admiral and takes no time at all to set up.

I’ve tried to experiment with different ship types, but against the average AI fleet nothing seems to move the dial much. It only really comes up with the endgame crisis ships that are wildly tilted towards armor or shields.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it the "auto-best" setting on my ships that makes it so I never stop upgrading them? Even between notable research upgrades, it will finish an upgrade and immediately have another one.

I don't know if I want to add more micro, as my first couple of games I made custom ship types and just had to constantly go in and update them whenever my tech improved. When I found out about auto-best I just use that as I progress through the tech tree and upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade.

Kaal posted:

What I've found works the best is to design my own ships, but turn on auto-best. Then I make sure that I don't upgrade ships while also building them, and avoid reinforcing fleets when they're away from shipyards. It usually does a good job that way. If it breaks, I'll put all the ships back into new fleets and try to refit the ships into the current designs (which is generally the real problem).

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, if you only want to upgrade when you manually upgrade tech then it will be constantly asking you to upgrade the ships when ever you discover anything currently equipped on them.

And Tyler Too! posted:

There's no auto best. There's auto design, auto upgrade, and hide obsolete designs.
Auto design is garbage, pure garbage, absolute garbage. Its the thing that makes ship designs for you. Stupid, garbage ship designs that moosh disruptors and energy weapons and kinetics and missiles all on the same ship.
Auto upgrade is fine and indeed good. It takes your cookie cutter designs you make every game and never vary from but still have to set up fresh each time, and swaps out gun+2 for gun+3 for you so you're not halfway thorough the game before realising you know how to make armour+4 but never actually replaced armour+0.
Hide obsolete designs just declutters the designer menu a bit. Working fine.

e: lol auto design is called auto best in the fleet screen

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 28, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've tried setting defense platforms to auto-upgrade the design but that dos not seem to work properly because if I tell the starbase to upgrade them (fleet upgraded, fleet upgraded, fleet upgraded, etc) sometimes they still need to be upgraded a second time before actually turning into the latest model. Maybe it's connected to researching a better weapon so they sit and wait for that but I forget and then I research better shields and it doesn't refresh and upgrade to only the improved weapon version or something? I have no idea. :iiam:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pacho posted:

For me that has happened when an enemy takes a system that breaks the pathing of my reinforcing ships. The ships on the way automatically stop moving and become their own fleets

While this has happened to me too on occasion, normally ships who can't reach their main fleet for some reason will just spawn on the way to their target with the "merge" order automatically set to their target, so when it happens I can either ignore the problem if the fleet in question isn't facing immediate battle, or just stop my fleet. Stopping your main fleet from moving makes all those little splinter fleets catch up and join without you having to do anything.

It's still annoying, I suppose.

Vengarr posted:

A mix of lasers and guns for offense, and as many shields as possible on defense. That will carry you even on Grand Admiral and takes no time at all to set up.

I’ve tried to experiment with different ship types, but against the average AI fleet nothing seems to move the dial much. It only really comes up with the endgame crisis ships that are wildly tilted towards armor or shields.

This, but substitute armor instead of shields. Carried me all the way up to Admiral. And later changing lasers to either plasma or neutron launchers.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

While this has happened to me too on occasion, normally ships who can't reach their main fleet for some reason will just spawn on the way to their target with the "merge" order automatically set to their target, so when it happens I can either ignore the problem if the fleet in question isn't facing immediate battle, or just stop my fleet. Stopping your main fleet from moving makes all those little splinter fleets catch up and join without you having to do anything.

It's still annoying, I suppose.

This, but substitute armor instead of shields. Carried me all the way up to Admiral. And later changing lasers to either plasma or neutron launchers.

I think it's less armor or shields and more "whatever is the highest atm" really.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think it's less armor or shields and more "whatever is the highest atm" really.

That would mean changing my designs more often, so no.

Though you could argue that it's kind of a chicken-egg issue, if you prefer one thing, you're more likely to research the relevant upgrades first and will end up with that one mode of defense being stronger anyway

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always do a mix of shields/armor in case of pulsars, hasn't failed me yet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Impose Ideology can be pretty :3:

Being the Chosen of Zarqlan always felt exploitive.

Then my benefactors were overrun. Every system annexed.

So I invaded using their own ships. Imposed egalitarian pacifism w/Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll.

They got it all back and they're wiser than ever.

Zarqlan Saves!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I did some testing and stuff.

If you have auto-upgrade or (auto-design/auto-best it's called different things in different windows lol) on, what template something uses is based on the time you set it going, not when it built. So if you research a new tech after queueing up 50 ships they won't get the new tech without a manual upgrade. Same for if you set something upgrading and research a new technology during the upgrade. This is why Poil sometimes has to double upgrade; it can take three or four years to fully upgrade a full bastionsworth of defense platforms so by the time they're done there might be a "new best". Especially if you're using auto-design rather than auto-upgrade where it will delight in shoving every god drat weapon you research in there somewhere regardless of actual utility.

I can't get auto-upgrade or auto-best to spawn lost single ship fleets. They can both sometimes lead to duplicates of a ship type showing up in a fleet (the current version and a previous version) which can mess up your reinforcement counts, but I can't get this to reliably happen. Maybe if this leads to a fleet having too many ships for its command limit you might start getting single ship fleet spawns (see below)? But it seems like an edge case, and respeccing the old design to the new design in the fleet manager fixes the duplicates + the difficulty triggering it made me stop looking at this.

Reinforcing fleets don't seem to entirely follow nodespace. I saw a reinforcing ship spawn in at the edge of the system where there was no hyperlanes, but there could have been (if you see what I mean, there was a star in that direction but no hyperlane). I'm wondering if they use "potential" hyperlanes to take shortcuts as they seem to arrive much faster than they should. e: now I think of it I think that shionhad jump drive so maybe that was it

I think (think) what the game does is, when a reinforcement is finished building it paths the most direct route to the ships current and target locations. If either require it to pass through a hostile fleet the newly built ship spawns as a single ship fleet on top of the shipyard and just sits there. There also seems to be some kind of recheck, sometimes when I move a fleet to the opposite side of an enemy fleet a reinforcement ship will reappear back at the base but I can't seem to trigger it reliably. All these are fine compromises for performance vs accuracy except for the blocked ships spawning as singletons because that's annoying.

If you are reinforcing a fleet and the fleet retreats then any en-route ships will drop into realspace, but they'll disappear again when the the fleet reappears and will begin invisibly pathing back toward them. Again not ideal but an acceptable compromise, except again newly built ships will spam your shipyards with singletons.

Here's the silly one though: When checking to see if a newly built ship is going to pass through a hostile space it seems to include the system the target fleet is in. If you're reinforcing a fleet and send that fleet into combat (or it gets jumped) every single ship you just queued up is going to spawn on your shipyard as its own personal fleet.

Lord Mune I'd suggest changing this so the "can I reach the fleet" half of the check ignores the system the target fleet is in as it would cut down on the singleton spawns and I really don't think going to the system the fleet is actively patrolling should count as passing through hostile territory. Also in general people might be less grumpy if newly built orphaned/blocked ships didn't spawn as individual fleets, especially if they're all spawning in the same system.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 1, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
"Oh hey Doc I see you're trying out a criminal corp for the first time. Sure would be a shame if literally half the other empires in the galaxy were gestalt consciousnesses or corps!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there any super broken ships designs? I remember stumbling on a unbeatable loadout in MOo2 that involved the inertial nullifier and some other piece of tech that was way better than the subspace teleporter.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

"Oh hey Doc I see you're trying out a criminal corp for the first time. Sure would be a shame if literally half the other empires in the galaxy were gestalt consciousnesses or corps!"

This is what inevitably happens if I try to play a megacorp, at the very least I end up surrounded by them, with any potential trading partners at the opposite end of the galaxy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any super broken ships designs? I remember stumbling on a unbeatable loadout in MOo2 that involved the inertial nullifier and some other piece of tech that was way better than the subspace teleporter.

Not really. Battleships with spinal mounts are both obvious and effective. Some people like focusing on disrupters, which can be particularly effective against enemies that don't improve their hull strength. Cruisers, destroyers, and corvettes always have their uses too though. The only real insight with the designer is to avoid pitfalls like mixing missiles with kinetics. There used to be some potent combos like clouds of torpedo corvettes, but they've been rebalanced and strikecraft are better counters now. Macroeconomics has a much bigger effect than "one weird trick that Xenos hate".

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kaal posted:

Not really. Battleships with spinal mounts are both obvious and effective. Some people like focusing on disrupters, which can be particularly effective against enemies that don't improve their hull strength. Cruisers, destroyers, and corvettes always have their uses too though. The only real insight with the designer is to avoid pitfalls like mixing missiles with kinetics. There used to be some potent combos like clouds of torpedo corvettes, but they've been rebalanced and strikecraft are better counters now. Macroeconomics has a much bigger effect than "one weird trick that Xenos hate".

Yup! The basic design of your starting corvette is borderline optimal for the entire game. Mix kinetics/energy, shields/hull, go pew pew. Even as a huge disruptor proponent I'm very much aware that pursuing side branch techs comes with a serious cost compared to just maxing the main branches. Missiles and strike craft et al might be fun, but you open yourself up to actually making a counter-able fleet.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Have Paradox ever said why assimilation is such hot garbage? 12 pops a year max lmao.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The only time I've interacted with it was for Robot Ascension, and it seemed to tick along at a reasonable pace. It probably runs afoul of the same logic that makes dedicated purge worlds so disgustingly broken, and so your answer might be "just do a bunch of tedious pop micro!" and resettle the new pops across your empire to use more assimilation progress bars at once.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serephina posted:

The only time I've interacted with it was for Robot Ascension, and it seemed to tick along at a reasonable pace. It probably runs afoul of the same logic that makes dedicated purge worlds so disgustingly broken, and so your answer might be "just do a bunch of tedious pop micro!" and resettle the new pops across your empire to use more assimilation progress bars at once.

It's pretty prominent in psychic ascension. And there's not really any planetary micro you can use to cheese it. Between 4 and 12 pops of a race gets ascended per year, while all those not yet ascended yet set to assimilate produce nothing. Nothing at all. If you've just conquered a big chunk of territory with a few hundred pops, it will take decades to assimilate all of them, while they produce nothing, consume at least food, if not amenities and consumer goods, and you have buildings/districts sitting idle that you're paying maintenance cost for. It's a huge hassle, and the way to get around this is to wait to start the process until the year is about to tick over, start assimilating them, wait a few days to get half a dozen assimilated pops, and then use gene modding to mod all the remaining pops into the assimilated race. You can't add the psychic trait through gene modding, but the assimilated pops will give you a template that you can use on the unassimilated pops.

If all this sounds dumb to you, then welcome to the club.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would like to correct a previous statement

> genetic engineering is rear end backwards

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Wait, I thought assimilation was 12ish pops per year per planet, which mean that if you spread out the assimilates it should go faster

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

Have Paradox ever said why assimilation is such hot garbage? 12 pops a year max lmao.

Does it work like this for Driven Assimilators too? The wiki is incredible evasive about specifics for some of these game mechanics.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Wait, I thought assimilation was 12ish pops per year per planet, which mean that if you spread out the assimilates it should go faster

I haven't used assimiliation in a while but that is how I remember it as well, 3-12 pops per planet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Noir89 posted:

I haven't used assimiliation in a while but that is how I remember it as well, 3-12 pops per planet.

Correct

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
I'm hoping someone can provide simple answers to what I think SHOULD be simple questions. In terms my dumb rear end can understand, I mean. I agree the wiki is pretty evasive on some subjects.

Enemy stations: Once I've knocked them down, do they stay knocked down if I don't have my fleets present in the system, or will they eventually rebuild and revert the system to the owner? I'm hoping the answer is they stay down, because manually dropping a single corvette to occupy systems as my invasion fleets trundle onwards is a huge, huge pain in the rear end.

Speaking of pains in the rear end, piracy patrols: Is there a simpler way to assign a corvette or two to sit around on my trade routs than building the fleet and manually sending them over? And is there any benefit to having the ships actually patrol between systems?

Merging fleets: For reasons best left to discretion, I often find myself having to merge a ton of tiny fleets into one manageable stack. My method is to select all the ships, then drag and drop them, one at a time, until they're all in one fleet. Drag-and-drop, drag-and-drop, drag-and-drop, kill-me-now, drag-and-drop, oh-goodie-only-17-more-patrol-corvettes-to-go, drag-and-drop.

Please tell me there's a better way. Also, is there a way to command an already-built ship to go join a fleet that's not within spitting distance? (I notice the drag and drop doesn't work if the fleets are too distant because of course it doesn't.)

Trade routes: I seem to recall you used to have to manually set trade routes to lead to your capitol system, but in the last game I started a few days back, everything seems to be connected automatically. Did they actually fix this, or was this a misunderstanding on my part from the start? Do I ever need to touch trade routes?

Emergency retreat/Combat disengagement: I get that ships that have just jumped or entered via a hyperlane can't leave the system again immediately, but apart from this and any disengagement bonuses the admiral may have, is there any way to ensure I actually destroy enemy ships and don't let them just jump away back home? (And speaking of back home, how is the emergency retreat destination determined? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where these ships end up.)

Recruiting armies: Now that I've got several different species in my empire, a bunch of different variants of each, and different army tapes (Clone, Psionic etc) researched, the army recruitment list is a goddamn mess. Is there some way to filter the list down by favorites, or most cost-effective army, or anything like this? And does it matter at all if I send armies comprised of subject species to fight their own species?

Planet/sector auto-build: Is this still a hot mess that I should avoid?

Slavery: I once played a nation that has the Slaver Guilds ethic, but it still allowed me to set the rights of any given species to full citizenship, as opposed to slavery. Do I understand correctly that if I've got Slaver Guilds, slavery isn't going anywhere? This got to be a problem because one of my planets had a ton of crime, and I couldn't get anyone to take Enforcer jobs (specialist stratum) because everyone on the planet was a slave. At least I think that was the problem.

Research: Once I've exhausted all the normal research paths, all that's left is bonuses to energy credits, shields strength, etc, and it's a pain to manually switch focuses every month or so. Can I automate this somehow? I think I'm at Applied Superconductivity level 20 or so in my latest game.

edit: Oh yeah, my number one problem: Claims and enforcing them. I went on the warpath with a pretty pathetic neighbour and had a fleet present in all their systems, and armies landed on all their worlds. I checked every drat system to see that they're fully occupied by my empire, but the peace negotiation dialogue still claimed huge maluses to their acceptance because I'm demanding unoccupied systems and planets.

Now, they did have an ally in the war, but I checked to make sure I hadn't claimed a single one of their systems. What gives? It was pretty frustrating to have to settle for a white peace, not even a status quo, because they didn't have any fleets I could knock around to drive up their war exhaustion.

immolationsex fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 1, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Allies count for unoccupied systems and planets. Yes it's dumb, yes it's like that on purpose.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

immolationsex posted:

I'm hoping someone can provide simple answers to what I think SHOULD be simple questions. In terms my dumb rear end can understand, I mean. I agree the wiki is pretty evasive on some subjects.

Enemy stations: Once I've knocked them down, do they stay knocked down if I don't have my fleets present in the system, or will they eventually rebuild and revert the system to the owner? I'm hoping the answer is they stay down, because manually dropping a single corvette to occupy systems as my invasion fleets trundle onwards is a huge, huge pain in the rear end.

They stay yours, but if you vacate the system before they repair they flip

Speaking of pains in the rear end, piracy patrols: Is there a simpler way to assign a corvette or two to sit around on my trade routs than building the fleet and manually sending them over? And is there any benefit to having the ships actually patrol between systems?

Having fleets in the system "counters" piracy. But so does having Bastions, especially with Hangar Bays. Each weapon module will extend the range of the piracy protection 1 extra system.

Merging fleets: For reasons best left to discretion, I often find myself having to merge a ton of tiny fleets into one manageable stack. My method is to select all the ships, then drag and drop them, one at a time, until they're all in one fleet. Drag-and-drop, drag-and-drop, drag-and-drop, kill-me-now, drag-and-drop, oh-goodie-only-17-more-patrol-corvettes-to-go, drag-and-drop.

Please tell me there's a better way. Also, is there a way to command an already-built ship to go join a fleet that's not within spitting distance? (I notice the drag and drop doesn't work if the fleets are too distant because of course it doesn't.)

Send them to the same system - on the galaxy view you can select ALL military ships in the same system. There you can then merge them more easily.

Trade routes: I seem to recall you used to have to manually set trade routes to lead to your capitol system, but in the last game I started a few days back, everything seems to be connected automatically. Did they actually fix this, or was this a misunderstanding on my part from the start? Do I ever need to touch trade routes?

They connect automatically but it gets wonky when you conquer stuff from enemies sometimes. In that case you can just click on your capital and it'll draw a line.

Emergency retreat/Combat disengagement: I get that ships that have just jumped or entered via a hyperlane can't leave the system again immediately, but apart from this and any disengagement bonuses the admiral may have, is there any way to ensure I actually destroy enemy ships and don't let them just jump away back home? (And speaking of back home, how is the emergency retreat destination determined? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where these ships end up.)

Not really, but you can lower the enemy disengagement chance with a few modules.

Recruiting armies: Now that I've got several different species in my empire, a bunch of different variants of each, and different army tapes (Clone, Psionic etc) researched, the army recruitment list is a goddamn mess. Is there some way to filter the list down by favorites, or most cost-effective army, or anything like this? And does it matter at all if I send armies comprised of subject species to fight their own species?

Nope, armies are awful and generic. Just build the biggest size army you can make, because only so many troops can fight in the actual battle at once.

Planet/sector auto-build: Is this still a hot mess that I should avoid?

I don't know about this one, but given how awful AI planets are, probably.

Slavery: I once played a nation that has the Slaver Guilds ethic, but it still allowed me to set the rights of any given species to full citizenship, as opposed to slavery. Do I understand correctly that if I've got Slaver Guilds, slavery isn't going anywhere? This got to be a problem because one of my planets had a ton of crime, and I couldn't get anyone to take Enforcer jobs (specialist stratum) because everyone on the planet was a slave. At least I think that was the problem.

Don't know about this one, tbh. I think Slaver Guilds just doesn't care about status, it'll always enslave 40% of pops.

Research: Once I've exhausted all the normal research paths, all that's left is bonuses to energy credits, shields strength, etc, and it's a pain to manually switch focuses every month or so. Can I automate this somehow? I think I'm at Applied Superconductivity level 20 or so in my latest game.

Nope, have fun!

edit: Oh yeah, my number one problem: Claims and enforcing them. I went on the warpath with a pretty pathetic neighbour and had a fleet present in all their systems, and armies landed on all their worlds. I checked every drat system to see that they're fully occupied by my empire, but the peace negotiation dialogue still claimed huge maluses to their acceptance because I'm demanding unoccupied systems and planets.

Now, they did have an ally in the war, but I checked to make sure I hadn't claimed a single one of their systems. What gives? It was pretty frustrating to have to settle for a white peace, not even a status quo, because they didn't have any fleets I could knock around to drive up their war exhaustion.

You need to occupy the ally's systems too. They're included in the warscore. You just get a bigger bonus/penalty for not having your claimed planets, iirc.

Answers in the quote in Bold.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Emergency retreat/Combat disengagement: Nope, can't stop the enemy from warping out normally. There might be a Titan aura that stops this? But otherwise don't worry about it honestly, when you're winning you're winning.

Recruiting armies: Is dumb, buy literally whatever it makes NO practical difference.

Slavery: Yes, slaver guilds is a free way to get slaves out of non-enslaved races, notably your starting race. The sword is technically double-edged, but is trivial to work around.

Warfare: "Demanding unoccupied systems" I could swear was bugged a dozen times, and it turns out every single time there was some loving thing I'd missed. You've literally missed something, its staring you right in the face. Allies can complicate matters, but that message always means the same thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On trade routes: There was this annoying bug which caused all my routes to break when I moved my capital. This was the first and only time I had to manually touch the trading system.

Was that bug ever fixed, or does changing your capital planet still equal super fun times?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

McSpanky posted:

Does it work like this for Driven Assimilators too? The wiki is incredible evasive about specifics for some of these game mechanics.

Yes, but Assimilators can get a Colossus weapon that just immediately assimilates entire planets, so at some point it's no longer a concern.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

immolationsex posted:

Press g

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Libluini posted:

On trade routes: There was this annoying bug which caused all my routes to break when I moved my capital. This was the first and only time I had to manually touch the trading system.

Was that bug ever fixed, or does changing your capital planet still equal super fun times?

That almost sounds like it's working as intended? The routes don't get touched, they're still routing to a planet that now isn't a capital and might not even have a trade hub to reroute things. Moving your capital is a big thing and it's probably fair to expect the routes not to try and fix it (I suppose it should try a naive old capital->new captial reroute if the old one had a starbase, but that's asking too much from the Stellaris devs)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Re: Sector AI. I was playing a devouring swam with a modded origin that would transform all planets I colonized into hive worlds. So besides having the ability to build any district with no restrictions beyond the planet size, hive minds already have less buildings then other factions. I was pulling in a solid income on everything and decided to have the sector AI take care of my biggest sector

Within minutes it managed to drive me into negatives. And it completely failed to build nexus' to house my pops.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey thread. So, I'm still a new player, and I just got into a bit of a pickle.

I was sort of reaching the limits of my economy, and, in a galaxy full of other empires, I was worried about getting locked into my territory, and then stunted in terms of economic growth in the long run. So...

I went to war with a neighbor. And won a lot of territory, before I hit war exhaustion. And when the war ended I was even worse off economically.

All resources way in the red, which one or two, I would just set up trades to balance, but my only poss right now is mineral and A handful of Chems.
-
Anyways, my question is: what emergency steps can I take to boost and balance resources production?

I already shut down conquered planets that were less than 70% habitable.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Deactivate buildings, it will remove their upkeep cost, and remove the jobs, so that they don't eat up resources (keep consumer goods though, it keeps the populace happy)
Also, as long as a resource is above zero at the end of the month, it does not cause any drawbacks, no matter how much in the red it is, and it can not go below zero.
So sell off whatever excess you do not spend on improving your base resources, and use it to keep your resources above zero.

Also, unless you are at war, or soon will be, the critical resource shortage debuff from alloys is meaningless, so don't worry about it. (You absolutely must keep motes/gases/crystals positive though, their shortages hurt)

MatteusTheCorrupt fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 1, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Temporarily disable buildings you can't afford to use right now

Choose one of your red resources, preferably one that you are close to getting back up to green. Focus on doing so; it sucks, but the other things can stay red for the time being. Declare martial law when prompted to do so.

If you have anything significantly in the green right now, use that to finance purchases necessary to slowly bring your resources, one by one, into the green (new districts, new buildings, etc). Think long before making new purchases -- you are going to be moving slowly and purposefully back into the green resource-by-resource so they *stick*.

Diminish your consumer goods and food policies for now.

Consider turning off a few alloy forges on planets where you have unoccupied resource district jobs...or on planets where you need to ask those metallurgists(allow workers) to become artisans (consumer goods workers) for the time being.

Don't worry about crime for now. You can fix that problem once your resources are green again.

It's rough, and people often give up if they blast themselves too deeply into the red, but you can recover over the coming ten years if you focus on one, maybe two things at a time and accept everything else falling to the wayside without stressing out about it.

You can do this.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 1, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

Emergency retreat/Combat disengagement: Nope, can't stop the enemy from warping out normally. There might be a Titan aura that stops this? But otherwise don't worry about it honestly, when you're winning you're winning.

the thing i hate the most about this is when they retreat, and then you capture the system they were set to warp to. love to see a 30k power fleet that ran away five years ago spawn at the heart of my captured territory while my armies are sweeping up the fringes!

the game should warn you if an enemy will be respawning into a system once you capture it. you "should" have the intel in the game lore. then you can just leave one fleet there and ruin them, instead of having all your progress undone because the game doesn't tell you things.

alternately, retreated fleets should be forced to spawn into a valid territory that isn't held by the enemy. that or ships that spawn into captured territory should be scuttled instantly. there are so many ways they could handle this better

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 1, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Played my first multiplayer game with pubbies from the official discord and spawned next to a fanatic purifier who somehow had a 2300 power fleet of 20 corvettes by year 2220. That was a short game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Played my first multiplayer game with pubbies from the official discord and spawned next to a fanatic purifier who somehow had a 2300 power fleet of 20 corvettes by year 2220. That was a short game.

I suspect anyone playing multiplayer with this game is not going to be anything like a typical pubbie at this point in the games life cycle.

if for some reason we play together in multi I promise to (likely) fold like a paper bag.

stopgap1 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 2, 2021