Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

stopgap1 posted:

I suspect anyone playing multiplayer with this game is not going to be anything like a typical pubbie at this point in the games life cycle.

I expected to get my rear end kicked but I was not prepared to deal with a fleet that strong that early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Why does the other empire in my federation always vote to stop anyone else joining? They have no claims or declared rivalries on them, and they have similar ideologies, but it's all just "Nope always vote no".

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I expected to get my rear end kicked but I was not prepared to deal with a fleet that strong that early on.

Like pretty much every other strategy game, competitive multiplayer Stellaris is all about figuring out the absolute fastest way to rush your neighbor. The total war optimizer builds routinely have three to five Alloy Foundries going by 2205 and a bunch of buy orders. It's a little lame. The new economy will probably nerf that sort of thing a bit since Industrial districts (which produce both Alloys and CG) will be replacing the foundry buildings.

These threads have some slightly-outdated optimization tips if you're interested. There's a bunch of really powerful origins and civics available that can really stack the deck when you know you're going to have nearby neighbors. Alternatively, try to find people to play with who aren't going to treat the game like a very poorly-balanced Starcraft:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/ef8d2o/starnet_ai_on_commodore_tips/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/hx897s/what_are_some_really_strong_multiplayer_builds_in/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 2, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Why does the other empire in my federation always vote to stop anyone else joining? They have no claims or declared rivalries on them, and they have similar ideologies, but it's all just "Nope always vote no".

Try bribing them with favors, or if you're sick of their bullshit, open the console and type 'yesmen'

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Bananana posted:

Hey thread. So, I'm still a new player, and I just got into a bit of a pickle.

I was sort of reaching the limits of my economy, and, in a galaxy full of other empires, I was worried about getting locked into my territory, and then stunted in terms of economic growth in the long run. So...

I went to war with a neighbor. And won a lot of territory, before I hit war exhaustion. And when the war ended I was even worse off economically.

All resources way in the red, which one or two, I would just set up trades to balance, but my only poss right now is mineral and A handful of Chems.
-
Anyways, my question is: what emergency steps can I take to boost and balance resources production?

I already shut down conquered planets that were less than 70% habitable.

Also note that Energy going into the red is actually 100% survivable. You can sit on 0 nrg and -1k/month for aaages. It debuffs your fleets, which will you get murdered, but if that's not an immediate problem it's resource that can be thrown under the bus while you stabilize.

Most of your problems will be coming from unhappy conquered citizens that tank stability, and hence resource output (which causes shortages, so unhappiness in your core worlds, and so forth). There's often just one or two problems that when fixed suddenly cascade into a working empire again. Things might numerically look hopeless but are actually very close to automagically being fixed. Also keep an eye out for being over the Starbase limit, happens a lot after winning a war.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Kaal posted:

Alternatively, try to find people to play with who aren't going to treat the game like a very poorly-balanced Starcraft:

Yeah pretty much. This discord seems to typically ban total war empires and the four OP origins so I assumed that this game would be that way but I guess I picked the wrong game to hop into.

Running into an odd thing in the past few games. When I make a ship variant (like a missile corvette for example) the game wants to upgrade every corvette I have to that design instead of the design they already have, which is a design that I have in Ship Designer. I have auto-generate off, auto-upgrade on. Worked fine in previous games, no idea what's causing it.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 2, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I may or may not have had a look at these and found them already reworked

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

I may or may not have had a look at these and found them already reworked
Thanks! Given the economy rework I was expecting that to be the case but I would have laughed my rear end off if they'd somehow persisted through a third patch cycle and complete overhaul.

Did you see my thing above about solo ship fleets?
e: I'm literally only asking if you saw it I'm not trying to put you on the spot for a response or opinions or whatever

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 2, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've found the way to have the least problems with ship designs is to always start with a new model. Never refit the starting design and save it, with the same name or a new one. Make a new ship and delete that first one. Same with all ship classes and platforms etc.

Is there a mod which prevents the AI from spawning as machine empires? I haven't been able to find one. Whenever one spawns they basically always turn into space Ottomans thanks to all of their ridiculous bonuses and the other AI empires can never stop them from blobbing. The wettest fart khan's I've seen has either been blocked in by a fallen empire or a machine empire. Even the khan's magicked up fleets are too weak at that point, normal empires usually get stomped.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 2, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

I've found the way to have the least problems with ship designs is to always start with a new model. Never refit the starting design and save it, with the same name or a new one. Make a new ship and delete that first one. Same with all ship classes and platforms etc.

Is there a mod which prevents the AI from spawning as machine empires? I haven't been able to find one. Whenever one spawns they basically always turn into space Ottomans thanks to all of their ridiculous bonuses and the other AI empires can never stop them from blobbing. The wettest fart khan's I've seen has either been blocked in by a fallen empire or a machine empire. Even the khan's magicked up fleets are too weak at that point, normal empires usually get stomped.
It's not just the bonuses it's the simplified economy making it easier for the AI to not gently caress up. It's part of why for me every dev diary past the first couple has just been "yeah that's cool and all" because industrial districts and the growth patches look like they'll make it so much easier for the AI to run a functioning economy.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The thing that ticks me off the most about ship design is that every possible ship class starts with a reserved name from your list, even the ones you can't change, so my naming schemes will inevitably be thrown off because "Bet" and "Delta" are already assigned to construction ships and outposts or whatever.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I seem to have run into a bug, I think I'd classify it north of moderate.

I made an empire with the post-apocalyptic origin. Now, when I load my saves, my homeworld has a 30% habitability. So my guess is that the Survivor trait stopped registering. In other words, this run is probably shot if I don't fix it.
Too bad, I had some nice features near me, and the horizon signal active and stuff. Kind of frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing the bug?

E: Editing world types does nothing, and in all my saves, on the turn of the month, it removes all districts from the world. Eeeurghhh. I hate mods. But I love them. But I hate them.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 2, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bobfly posted:

I seem to have run into a bug, I think I'd classify it north of moderate.

I made an empire with the post-apocalyptic origin. Now, when I load my saves, my homeworld has a 30% habitability. So my guess is that the Survivor trait stopped registering. In other words, this run is probably shot if I don't fix it.
Too bad, I had some nice features near me, and the horizon signal active and stuff. Kind of frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing the bug?

E: Editing world types does nothing, and in all my saves, on the turn of the month, it removes all districts from the world. Eeeurghhh. I hate mods. But I love them. But I hate them.

what mods are you using?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

It's not just the bonuses it's the simplified economy making it easier for the AI to not gently caress up. It's part of why for me every dev diary past the first couple has just been "yeah that's cool and all" because industrial districts and the growth patches look like they'll make it so much easier for the AI to run a functioning economy.
Yeah simpler economy on top of the things like 100% habitability everywhere from the start and faster pop growth.

Mygna posted:

The thing that ticks me off the most about ship design is that every possible ship class starts with a reserved name from your list, even the ones you can't change, so my naming schemes will inevitably be thrown off because "Bet" and "Delta" are already assigned to construction ships and outposts or whatever.
Don't forget about mining stations, research stations, observation station and of course every level of starbase has its own unique name. :shepface:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

To everyone who gave advice: thank you. You did honestly give me some good info, and have changed how I approach building on planets.
Unfortunately, it did not matter. I was not given the time to rectify the economy.
All bordering and fellow federated alien civs declared war on me. They saw me as an ideological threat to their being. Which, as a fanatic purifier, I guess I get, but still. Lame.
Had to restart.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Splicer posted:

Did you see my thing above about solo ship fleets?
e: I'm literally only asking if you saw it I'm not trying to put you on the spot for a response or opinions or whatever

I did. Fleet merging/upgrading/reinforcing is a can of worms right at the intersection of several potential technical and design issues, and sort of out of my jurisdiction to boot, so I dare not comment on it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

I did. Fleet merging/upgrading/reinforcing is a can of worms right at the intersection of several potential technical and design issues, and sort of out of my jurisdiction to boot, so I dare not comment on it.
That was expected and fair.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mygna posted:

What? My fleet always get named alpha bravo charlie etc.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Gort posted:

what mods are you using?

Uh. Loads. My list might be totally stupid even after spending hours in Irony mod manager trying to iron out conflicts, it certainly seems unorganized to me, now that I've written it up. Here's a complete list linked.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Try bribing them with favors, or if you're sick of their bullshit, open the console and type 'yesmen'

afaik a membership vote is the only thing you can't buy with favors

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey guys, I'm running into some weird bug, I sure hope it doesn't have anything to do with those seventy-three mods I have installed!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait till you get enough cohesion to change your laws so votes are not 1 per member but based on fleet/economy/diplomatic weight.

Just note that if someone was gonna vote no, and your superior score gets the other person in anyway, they might just leave the federation.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Serephina posted:

Hey guys, I'm running into some weird bug, I sure hope it doesn't have anything to do with those seventy-three mods I have installed!

:allears:

Not to sound offensive or anything, but all most every weird bug that has shown up in the last... hell, I can't even remember how many pages, probably over 50, has been the result of a mod.

Check your mods first, or at least mention that you have mods.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Yami Fenrir posted:

:allears:

Not to sound offensive or anything, but all most every weird bug that has shown up in the last... hell, I can't even remember how many pages, probably over 50, has been the result of a mod.

Check your mods first, or at least mention that you have mods.

Just to be clear, I'm lightly poking fun of Bobfly and the list he posted.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

Just to be clear, I'm lightly poking fun of Bobfly and the list he posted.

Oh, I'm aware.

I'm also poking fun at the mod situation. Not the first time somebody came in with an issue and it turned out it was a mod issue.

At this point we've become experts in Stellaris bugs to a level where we can tell mod bugs apart from vanilla bugs.

:v:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I know, it's like hoarding at this point :)

Like I said, I love 'em, but I hate 'em, but I love 'em. But y'asked!
I've come to terms with the shot game, progressing well through the stages of grief ;)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bobfly posted:

I know, it's like hoarding at this point :)

Like I said, I love 'em, but I hate 'em, but I love 'em. But y'asked!
I've come to terms with the shot game, progressing well through the stages of grief ;)

A pro-tip, make different groups of mods in the mod manager, starting with "clean" groups of mods that are mostly cosmetic or otherwise known to not cause you problems, and then make 1-2 groups beyond that clean one with progressively more of your weirder, more intrusive mods. This way, you can simplify the search for the mod causing problems by just changing to a lesser mod group. Even if the problem persists, every time you launch and poo poo is hosed, the group of mods responsible has shrunken by a large amount.

There where dumb bugs I would never have found without this method, as several cases of "loving hell the game won't launch" showed up in a dumb cosmetic music mod I would never have suspected in a trillion years. Saved me whole days worth of my life, I'm sure

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Dude. I gotta do that, it'll save me so much frustration. Thanks!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fur20 posted:

afaik a membership vote is the only thing you can't buy with favors

Yeah as far as I've found there's no way to do it.

I can bribe the prospective member with favors to get them to join but then the vote instantly fails because my federation colleagues are morons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah as far as I've found there's no way to do it.

I can bribe the prospective member with favors to get them to join but then the vote instantly fails because my federation colleagues are morons.
IIRC before you start the vote it should say how each member is going to vote and if you hover over which way they're going to vote it tells you why

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

"Hey, Winterwerefox! I found Sol and Earth has Space Puppies!"

"Space puppies? That's Earth! Those are normal puppies."

"Oh my god I found puppies!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Picked this game up after a long hiatus, good starting system, cool cool, oh hi neighbor!

Advance start fanatical purifier: :xcom:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

winterwerefox posted:

"Hey, Winterwerefox! I found Sol and Earth has Space Puppies!"

"Space puppies? That's Earth! Those are normal puppies."

"Oh my god I found puppies!"

what a loving rip off. my earth only has geysers and unnatural phenomena

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Picked this game up after a long hiatus, good starting system, cool cool, oh hi neighbor!

Advance start fanatical purifier: :xcom:

Welcome to the reason i disable advanced starts: it's just a bad mechanic.

Unfortunately you still get them anyway if you have a Lost Colony in your game. Not sure if thats intentional.

Or devouring swarms hiveminds being the "parents" of normal empires.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Yami Fenrir posted:

Welcome to the reason i disable advanced starts: it's just a bad mechanic.

I strongly disagree with this, just because advanced starts plays to Stellaris (/Paradox's) greatest strengths, which is creating a narratives in lieu of competitive gameplay. My first game had an advanced start hegemon of some sort, and the only recourse for his belligerence was to form a federation with a bunch of other pointy-eared leaf-lovers until we where too big for him to declare war on.

If the game was well balanced enough that empires would grow big dynamically like you'd see in a Civ game then sure, but Stellaris is *crap* at trying to be that sort of game.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

I strongly disagree with this, just because advanced starts plays to Stellaris (/Paradox's) greatest strengths, which is creating a narratives in lieu of competitive gameplay. My first game had an advanced start hegemon of some sort, and the only recourse for his belligerence was to form a federation with a bunch of other pointy-eared leaf-lovers until we where too big for him to declare war on.

If the game was well balanced enough that empires would grow big dynamically like you'd see in a Civ game then sure, but Stellaris is *crap* at trying to be that sort of game.

Maybe it creates a narrative.

You know what it also creates?

Bad gameplay. Any sort of aggressive AI (especially purifiers) obviously will just declare war on you with their pretty much unbeatable strength at the time. So if you're just unlucky enough to have them spawn next to you...

If restarts are necessary not due to your own failings but due to one mechanic maybe the mechanic is... bad.

Narrative shouldn't come at the expense of gameplay.

Especially when you disable it and then it forces itself into your game anyway.

LordMune, any chance you could suggest to the team that maybe disabling Advanced Starts disables Lost Colony too or something?

I've literally lost a game before due to Lost Colony spawning a Advanced Devouring Swarm blocking me in anyway.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 3, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I do like events that spawn murderous neighbors like the Prikki-ti, the Khan, or the L-Gates. By the time they show up, you should have your poo poo together enough that they don’t automatically end your game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

advanced starts produce a more player-resistant galaxy by creating great powers that are more aggressive and can snowball sort of like the player, which is usually good for making the game more interesting, but the instant-death starts are bad. it would be nice if the advantage given to the advanced tags was less front-loaded, more like EU's lucky nations than "start with three planets and more tech" as it is now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jazerus posted:

advanced starts produce a more player-resistant galaxy by creating great powers that are more aggressive and can snowball sort of like the player, which is usually good for making the game more interesting, but the instant-death starts are bad. it would be nice if the advantage given to the advanced tags was less front-loaded, more like EU's lucky nations than "start with three planets and more tech" as it is now.

Really, all they need is to be far enough away that they're a late early game, early midgame problem rather than instant death in the first couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jazerus posted:

The only reason Advanced Starts work somewhat right now is because the AI barely knows how to play.

If it actually played competently, the... 45? extra pops would basically be an insurmountable advantage to most people.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 3, 2021