Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
in Eu4 a disaster can be devastating and it encourages you to stay within the mechanics of normal play. for example Peasant's War will trigger if you have less than 50 percent manpower and your stability is less than some value (1 or 0 or w/e). so if you are massively losing a war and keep refusing peace to the point that it destabilizes you, rebels will annihilate your nation. or religious turmoil disaster will trigger if you abruptly change state religion while the majority of your nation follows not that faith. again rebels spawn, increased cost to restabilize, etc.

stellaris has none of these mechanics and you can basically do whatever you want without having to answer to the "population" despite the fact that your population is less abstracted in stellaris than eu4

if theyre going to implement a disaster system i hope they introduce some sort of resource like sailors that makes you have to stop and rest your fleets, or make rebellions actually happen/be threatening otherwise it is yet another mechanic you can completely ignore by just pumping up your economy, consequences be damned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That actually reminds me, I had a recent game where two different vassals had AI rebellions within ten years of each other. I've never seen it happen once, let alone twice in the same game.

There needs to be a way to force vassals to adopt your policies as a condition of becoming a Protectorate. It doesn't sit well with your pops to have to slaughter AI who want better treatment when they themselves treat AI as brothers. Or it shouldn't.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

Corals aren't plants they're tiny animals who build castle houses. Most shallow water corals have symbiotic relationships with photosynthetic algae though.

also ftl doesn't exist.

(I know but I wanted to play sentient kelp/photosynthetic stuff with the coral pictures because they're cute!)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Monkey posted:

also ftl doesn't exist.

(I know but I wanted to play sentient kelp/photosynthetic stuff with the coral pictures because they're cute!)
I only replied because coral are cool and I like talking about them!

Also FTL might be real it just has... implications.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

I only replied because coral are cool and I like talking about them!

Also FTL might be real it just has... implications.

I wasn't trying to fight or anything, I also think they're cool, I am just sad that some traits are locked by the portrait you pick.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Monkey posted:

I wasn't trying to fight or anything, I also think they're cool, I am just sad that some traits are locked by the portrait you pick.
I don't think we're having a fight we're just having a nice chat about corals and ftl!

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

What trait and civics mods is everyone using? I'd like more traits to play with to make my empires and species a bit more diverse

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

I don't think we're having a fight we're just having a nice chat about corals and ftl!

hell yea

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Come all you young spacefarers, listen to me
I'll sing you a song of our fish from the sea.
And it's windy weather, boys, stormy weather.
When the wind blows, then we're all together.
Boys blow ye winds fringeward, blow ye winds, blow.
Out to the galaxy, steady she goes.
Up comes the Great Dragon in search of our home
Through space to a place that's beneath waves and foam!
Up come the solar winds, taking us far.
All through the space lanes and out to the stars.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The AI certainly has improved, to an almost frustrating degree. I've lost 3 games in a row tonight because the AI has 100+ corvette fleets within 40 years on Commodore, and no matter how good my fleets are I always lose 2-3x as many ship as they do even when the numbers are equal.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I noticed they refused to be baited out of their home system with it's upgraded starbase and was duly impressed. Didn't help but I had a Star Dragon on my side in 2230 so not much would've.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I hate how it's still so miserable to play pure Void Dwellers. The Alloy upkeep for each individual habitat just so crippling.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They should really just get the Voidborne Ascension perk for free, and have another slot. Unfortunately the game is balanced around multiplayer despite the majority of people not touching multiplayer.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Come all you young spacefarers, listen to me
I'll sing you a song of our fish from the sea.
Up comes the Great Dragon in search of our home
Through space to a place that's beneath waves and foam!
Up come the solar winds, taking us far.
All through the space lanes and out to the stars.

:golfclap:
This was my favorite shanty from AC4, you did a swell job.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

:golfclap:
This was my favorite shanty from AC4, you did a swell job.

Sorry, it's the lyrics to the trailer song.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

That actually reminds me, I had a recent game where two different vassals had AI rebellions within ten years of each other. I've never seen it happen once, let alone twice in the same game.

There needs to be a way to force vassals to adopt your policies as a condition of becoming a Protectorate. It doesn't sit well with your pops to have to slaughter AI who want better treatment when they themselves treat AI as brothers. Or it shouldn't.

Yeah, that was always dumb. Which is why I tend to integrate vassals at the earliest possible time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry, it's the lyrics to the trailer song.

Which was a reworked version of the shanty he's on about : 'Fish in the Sea'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMk9arOxglU&list=FLHddX145Go9O1u4vlUuO4ug&index=18&ab_channel=StormWeatherShantyChoir

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh I got that! But he was telling me I did a swell job when I didn't come up with the reworked lyrics, haha.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

So I'm loving the expansion, and having difficulty not muttering "intellectual booty" at work when I get an email.

I'm having trouble with the Deluge. It's built and my federation is at war with another but I can't seem to use it! Do I have to enable a purging policy or something? Can it be used in lieu of terraforming?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tarnop posted:

It's when they release a new DLC

I legit laughed.

I'm very much looking forward to the unity rework. We talked about it previously, but unity replacing/supplementing admin cap would be a cool idea.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Dang the ship skins for my rad crab empire are super pretty, Im really enjoying the new race a lot.
Edit: Oh goddamnit why didnt I name them Rad Crab Surf Club.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that was always dumb. Which is why I tend to integrate vassals at the earliest possible time.

There's two kinds of vassals the "space is big and scary protect me" kind and the "did you just make a claim on me?" kind.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
And sometimes, they're the same vassal!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The vassals who have claims on you either get absorbed or you give them the claims. They won't make more and your borders stay pretty.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My first aquatic run turns out great. First a nearby insectoid empire objects to our stupid squid-faces so much they start a humiliation- war and then, while our exactly equal forces raid each other's territory, an ominous alien menace suddenly rears its ugly head: Humans!

One team of scientists managed to discover a giant, ancient colony ship with a secret colony of evil Humans hiding below it and suddenly, while our fleets where halfway across the galaxy, a tiny but voracious empire of aliens was suddenly right next to our cap.

The new empire even managed to completely gently caress my trade routes and deleted my core sector for some reason. Luckily the insectoids eventually agreed that it's dumb to punch each other with a fanatic purifier hanging around and a peace treaty was signed.

Current status: Our fleets sit around a heavily fortified border to Evil Humania while both sides rush to get their fleet strength up to the point where victory is inevitable.

This game sometimes. :allears:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you guys haven't tried it out yet, you all absolutely need to try a Pompous Purists run. They want nothing to do with anyone else in the galaxy, but aren't forced to be pacifist like Inward Perfectionists. Also, most crucially, nobody is allowed to contact them for any reason. Other empires can't so much as close their borders because the Purists leave them on unread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

If you guys haven't tried it out yet, you all absolutely need to try a Pompous Purists run. They want nothing to do with anyone else in the galaxy, but aren't forced to be pacifist like Inward Perfectionists. Also, most crucially, nobody is allowed to contact them for any reason. Other empires can't so much as close their borders because the Purists leave them on unread.

If you can't read them their space miranda rights than you can't charge them, thats space law.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libluini posted:

My first aquatic run turns out great. First a nearby insectoid empire objects to our stupid squid-faces so much they start a humiliation- war and then, while our exactly equal forces raid each other's territory, an ominous alien menace suddenly rears its ugly head: Humans!

One team of scientists managed to discover a giant, ancient colony ship with a secret colony of evil Humans hiding below it and suddenly, while our fleets where halfway across the galaxy, a tiny but voracious empire of aliens was suddenly right next to our cap.

The new empire even managed to completely gently caress my trade routes and deleted my core sector for some reason. Luckily the insectoids eventually agreed that it's dumb to punch each other with a fanatic purifier hanging around and a peace treaty was signed.

Current status: Our fleets sit around a heavily fortified border to Evil Humania while both sides rush to get their fleet strength up to the point where victory is inevitable.

This game sometimes. :allears:

did your scientists discover the hollow earth nazis???

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ok figured it out. Drenching counts as a purge, which makes sense. Aquatics was a godsend for me cuz most of my runs I make a race based on HP lovecrafts' deep ones, if they flooded earth and made it to space.

I'm doing a relic world next, just got the ancient relics DLC. I have aquatics, apocalypse, utopia, and synthetic dawn and I always seem to do democratic technocracies. Any recommendations for my next run? Somthing different?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

did your scientists discover the hollow earth nazis???

even better, it's the Commonwealth of Man, reborn from the ashes of their failed colony attempt :allears:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BBQ Dave posted:

Ok figured it out. Drenching counts as a purge, which makes sense. Aquatics was a godsend for me cuz most of my runs I make a race based on HP lovecrafts' deep ones, if they flooded earth and made it to space.

I'm doing a relic world next, just got the ancient relics DLC. I have aquatics, apocalypse, utopia, and synthetic dawn and I always seem to do democratic technocracies. Any recommendations for my next run? Somthing different?

Do a robot hive mind! Trying to uncover the circumstances of their creation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dramicus posted:

Well, I certainly didn't expect to wake up and read about coral polyps.
Always be reading about coral polyps!

(stolen from https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975412)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Do a robot hive mind! Trying to uncover the circumstances of their creation.

Cool! Let ya know how it goes! Wonder if I can do rogue servitors...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Through hard work and determination, your maniacal scientist has gained the trait paranoid.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Sadly enough, that makes a kind of sense.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Seems like the living metal tech is bugged if you choose to do Here be Dragons, any way to force it via console?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
research_technology tech_mine_living_metal

I need to use this in practically every game, because if you have a living metal deposit in your empire, but you're not the one who found it, it never loving gives you the tech card.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Shadowlyger posted:

research_technology tech_mine_living_metal

I need to use this in practically every game, because if you have a living metal deposit in your empire, but you're not the one who found it, it never loving gives you the tech card.

:psyduck:

we need a :paradox: to match :dice:

This explains some games I've had.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought that was just because of the terrible tech system being the tech system. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Poil posted:

I thought that was just because of the terrible tech system being the tech system. :psyduck:

Technically, it is :haw:.