Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Kaddish posted:

Finally got to the endgame and it was a slideshow when taking out an awakened empire with several vassals in tow. On a decent PC as well - 5800x, 3070, 32GB ram, nvme ssd.

This was also with several mods, ACoTS and Guilli being the bigger ones.

I've recently been steering my games towards smaller maps for improved performance and to make the micro less terrible.

And then my closest neighbor claimed the Trappist system which with zero guaranteed habitable worlds was obviously unacceptable so I genocide them and now I'm pretty sure the micro is going to be bad again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

isndl posted:

I spent 500 influence to build an outpost at the other end of the galaxy so I could excavate an archaeology site there. :downs:

This, exactly this

I spent 900 influence to put up an outpost after killing the scavenger bot so I could harvest the nanomachines

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TehSaurus posted:

I've recently been steering my games towards smaller maps for improved performance and to make the micro less terrible.

And then my closest neighbor claimed the Trappist system which with zero guaranteed habitable worlds was obviously unacceptable so I genocide them and now I'm pretty sure the micro is going to be bad again?
Spin off the :effort: planets into vassals.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If a xenophobe spins off a vassal made entirely of their own species, will they still get a xenophobic diplomacy malus against them?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Danaru posted:

If a xenophobe spins off a vassal made entirely of their own species, will they still get a xenophobic diplomacy malus against them?

Xenophobes don't get a penalty against any species with the same portrait as them.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Danaru posted:

The Commonwealth of Man doesn't have a xenophobia malus against the UNE, I think if you have the same founding species you won't trigger it (if the vassal is xenophilic they'll still have an opposing ethos penalty though).

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Holding a piece of paper over my face with a jpeg of an alien printed on it with an inkjet printer

"Yes hello please don't space genocide us"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Porkness posted:

I wonder if Paradox tracks play metrics like how much time players spend in system view vs Galaxy view, which ethics combos are given up on the fastest, etc
I wonder if they track that I've never zoomed in enough to watch the space battles and that essentially all of the fancy 3d models are a waste of time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Finally got to the endgame and it was a slideshow when taking out an awakened empire with several vassals in tow. On a decent PC as well - 5800x, 3070, 32GB ram, nvme ssd.

This was also with several mods, ACoTS and Guilli being the bigger ones.

I’m surprised ACOT doesn’t have a joke from Sophia around alpha tier about how you’re going to irreparably slow the galaxy to a standstill.

As for performance… I have a 3080 and it doesn’t clock up to full while playing the game. However, I have a 5800x3d and can easily run medium galaxies to 2500 with ACOT, AOT, SBTG and faded’s silly new purple tier. I even have set the speed to slowest because so much is happening so quickly and my CPU can run along at a good clip on normal.

Basically cache is what matters for this game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, the makers are doing a complete rework of the thing. The one everyone goes on about is the 'old' version. It may come up yet.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I screwed around with gigastructures + the ACoT mods, and I have to say that I probably won't go back to ACoT any time soon, if ever. The mod series relies too heavily on buildings, and each building only employs 4 people when upgraded. Districts don't get converted, so you don't want to use those at all. They also have upgraded robotics labs with absurd population construction speed. The end result is a shitton of pops and precisely nothing to do with them unless you're willing to sit there and click thousands of times to build and then upgrade buildings across all of your planets. This can be alleviated somewhat with habitats, as habitats can be upgraded to have better districts that mirror buildings, but it's still frustrating. There's also a ton of 1 per planet buildings that are ridiculously powerful, so the game encourages you to go super wide, which then adds even more clicking.

I did find the combination of mods hilarious though, because nothing in ACoT can stand up to the stellar systemcraft Existential Eraser Beam. The game expects you to struggle when going up against then next tier of technology, but if you can throw a large enough number of systemcrafts at the enemy (with maybe a herculean to tank, as herculeans are pretty garbage for damage), they'll annihilate anything, right up to and including the final boss. It's very funny to watch, and some of the more obscene support components (+100% damage and cooldown to energy weapons!?) make the systemcrafts even funnier.

Sadly, beating the final boss breaks gestalt machine empires (you get changed to a weird incompatible government with AI outlawed), so I didn't get to play around with the frankly obscene power that normal ships can get.

Regardless, I'll probably go back to just gigastructures - the frameworld is such a fun way to play the game, and it's easier on my wrist as well. I can just drop a cheap megastructure on each planet and asteroid instead of clicking 10,000 times to set up my empire. Managing one planet in detail is nice, and there's always something to do to make the capital more powerful. It's a really cool blend of playing tall and wide simultaneously, and I'm excited about how well they pulled it off.

Theoretically, there's a mod that makes the frameworld play nice with ACoT, but in practice it doesn't let you get the tier 3 tech due to technical limitations on how it's acquired.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You sound like you could use AoT and the 36 building mod. Though if you have habitats with districts you have AoT.

I forget which mod it is but one adds the jobs for unemployed people which helps. Turn that on on a voidsphere and your pops will redistribute appropriately.

That reminds me… you didn’t mention voidspheres, which means you may not have even known they exist because documentation is bad. The ACoT/AoT/SBTG/SotS “number go up” hyperbola is:
[Delta tier] Starbases for DE/DM, DM habitats, megastructures
[Alpha tier] DE habitats, precursor starbases with full DE/DM production then voidspheres
[Stellarite tier] All DE habs to Stellarite habitats, Stellarite starbases (all meaningful DM/DE production is now on spheres)
[Phanon tier] Pylon star->MacRIPP->Great Wall (it says it’s defensive but it includes 3 super habitats that make the macripp system self sufficient. (Minus the like 100k energy it’ll need)
[Light tier] just turn getting their tech off and don’t take their offer. Consider disabling SBTG once you’ve seen it once. “Stellarcringe” is a meme in the mod community for a reason.
[SotS (purple) tier] you need the soulsphere upgrade on your voidspheres to generate any more of the soul energy stuff. This may actually break your DE/DM economy, especially if they were feeding a void birch but it really doesn’t matter at this point lol

The planet buildings are generally to produce just enough to get the next crazy number go up thing going.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 6, 2022

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dirk the Average posted:

I did find the combination of mods hilarious though, because nothing in ACoT can stand up to the stellar systemcraft Existential Eraser Beam.

While this is true for ACoT's stuff, try sending that Systemcraft against the Bismuth Blokkats. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

hobbesmaster posted:

You really need AoT and the 36 building mod.

The what

Holy crap that 36 building mod looks good, I've come across so many big planets with barely any worthwhile resources, so it just winds up being a million housing with no jobs

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 6, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I never got a tech for voidspheres. I suspect there's something wonky going on with playing as a gestalt and not getting the required techs, but something that would transition away from planets would definitely have helped me out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, I never got a tech for voidspheres. I suspect there's something wonky going on with playing as a gestalt and not getting the required techs, but something that would transition away from planets would definitely have helped me out.

You need a colonized fractured/ultra fractured world.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danaru posted:

The what

Holy crap that 36 building mod looks good, I've come across so many big planets with barely any worthwhile resources, so it just winds up being a million housing with no jobs
We call those Forge Worlds.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

You need a colonized fractured/ultra fractured world.

So I just looked this up, and how on earth is anyone supposed to find that out? Poorly documented is an extreme understatement.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Montu has put out a video on how planetary automation works if, like me, you had no idea why it didn't seem to do anything. Also includes how you can use it to upgrade/build stuff that requires rare resources for only energy credits.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Anyone know why a system I'm trying to capture keeps on flipping back to the enemy's control as soon as my ships move away from the center? Even when my ships crowd around the center it will flip to the enemy's side and then my ships with insta blap the station. It's flipping back and forth every few days in game. No other ships in the system. Same with the system next to it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Is there an inhabited planet there? Is the defender a vassal or anything wacky like that?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Charles 1998 posted:

Anyone know why a system I'm trying to capture keeps on flipping back to the enemy's control as soon as my ships move away from the center? Even when my ships crowd around the center it will flip to the enemy's side and then my ships with insta blap the station. It's flipping back and forth every few days in game. No other ships in the system. Same with the system next to it.

Are they, or you, at war with anyone else too because that can sometimes make ownership status do some extremely silly things

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ThaumPenguin posted:

Is there an inhabited planet there? Is the defender a vassal or anything wacky like that?

Not a vassel, it's a fallen empire. I already took the planet.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Are they, or you, at war with anyone else too because that can sometimes make ownership status do some extremely silly things

I'm at war with two fallen empires. I made a video and added some context, but over a minute in is when the strange behavior starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQTJV4-PCo&t=68s

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It looks like it's never flipping to you, but to some ally/subject of yours. But the planet... is yours? Not even occupied by you, but owned by you? (Is this a total war?) I'm guessing whoever the ally/subject the occupation is going to has a claim on the system, so when you take it from the enemy the occupation is passed to them, then a few days later the game realizes they're occupying your system even though they're not at war with you, and restores control over the starbase to the previous controller (the enemy). Then it repeats. This sis just a guess though, I'm not at all confident this is accurate.

Definitely worth a bug report I think. Are you playing ironman? If not, maybe console over to whoever is getting the occupation and remove any claim they might have on the system and see if that fixes it? If you are on ironman I think it's pretty easy to edit the save to remove the ironman tag, and you could then do the same, but I'm not sure.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Decided to play a Megacorp for the first time, without any mods in a medium-sized galaxy with 11 other empires.

Almost every one of them were Hegemonic Imperialists. The rests were some flavor of xenophobe or hive minds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Decided to play a Megacorp for the first time, without any mods in a medium-sized galaxy with 11 other empires.

Almost every one of them were Hegemonic Imperialists. The rests were some flavor of xenophobe or hive minds.
That sounds like a bug, you should have 30% gestalts, 30% other corporations and 40% imperialistic xenophobes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I had a big empty area to advance in in my current game and a good couple decades in I ran into an empire with just one system right in the middle of it. I assumed it was bugged and consoled in to take a look... nope, just some poor early space age society that emerged just in time to be enveloped by me.

Fortunately I'm a nice galactic power so I gave them a sweetheart vassal deal under the condition I could throw ranger stations everywhere, only to find I couldn't build any. So I again assumed it was a bug and went digging only to find that nope, you just can't build ranger stations if the other empire is also an environmentalist (which coincidentally they are) and this is on purpose. Which kind of makes sense?

All in all I need to give this game more credit.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 8, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Poil posted:

That sounds like a bug, you should have 30% gestalts, 30% other corporations criminal syndicates and 40% imperialistic xenophobes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I'm about to go murder one of these. Fortunately they're right next to me.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you submit to one of the imperialists as a vassal, will they be willing to sign a commercial pact with you?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
How come there are no cloaking devices in Stellaris

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Probably for the same reason the espionage system is so toothless: It's unfun being on the receiving end.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Staltran posted:

It looks like it's never flipping to you, but to some ally/subject of yours. But the planet... is yours? Not even occupied by you, but owned by you? (Is this a total war?) I'm guessing whoever the ally/subject the occupation is going to has a claim on the system, so when you take it from the enemy the occupation is passed to them, then a few days later the game realizes they're occupying your system even though they're not at war with you, and restores control over the starbase to the previous controller (the enemy). Then it repeats. This sis just a guess though, I'm not at all confident this is accurate.

Definitely worth a bug report I think. Are you playing ironman? If not, maybe console over to whoever is getting the occupation and remove any claim they might have on the system and see if that fixes it? If you are on ironman I think it's pretty easy to edit the save to remove the ironman tag, and you could then do the same, but I'm not sure.

It's also worth noting this happens in the neighboring system, too. I can't seem to capture anything.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Montu has put out a video on how planetary automation works if, like me, you had no idea why it didn't seem to do anything. Also includes how you can use it to upgrade/build stuff that requires rare resources for only energy credits.

This seems... off. Is the automation automatically purchasing minerals/rare resources on the market, or is it just spending energy because ~reasons~?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lum_ posted:

This seems... off. Is the automation automatically purchasing minerals/rare resources on the market, or is it just spending energy because ~reasons~?

Strictly speaking automation doesn't directly spend credits, it spends the generic stockpile resource that you can add to with either credits or minerals. The stockpile doesn't distinguish between the two, so it'll build stuff with whichever you put in there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Strictly speaking automation doesn't directly spend credits, it spends the generic stockpile resource that you can add to with either credits or minerals. The stockpile doesn't distinguish between the two, so it'll build stuff with whichever you put in there.

that is even goofier than what I thought was happening.

'eh, keeping track of two variables is too much work, screw it'

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kanfy posted:

I did some very minor testing, and it does seem to use resources based around the market costs (though as you noted, you can dump in either credits or minerals depending on which is more efficient).

Upgrading my Alloy forge takes 390 minerals and 65 volatile motes. If I didn't have a market fee the minerals cost 175.5 credits (0.45 per mineral) and the motes cost 1022.45 (15.73 per mote) for a total cost of 1197.95 energy credits.

The automation only used 1040 units of resources, which is a small savings on top of ignoring the 20-30% market fee. Of course this isn't precise, it's possible that the costs fluctuated just enough between when the automation started and when I hit pause to account for the difference.

So really the big benefits (besides not having to micro all the planets and not accidentally bankrupting yourself) are that 1) you can use minerals OR credits, whichever are least valuable to you and 2) it always buys at the market rate which can add up over time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pretty odd bug! I think.

The Great Kahn woke up and their territory is entirely within my empire. They've got around 150k in fleet power to my 20k so rip.

I surrendered to them.

Then ALL my policies reset? Like suddenly robots were all purging because I'd outlawed robots :psyduck:

All the economic laws etc etc flipped back to default values totally tanking my economy.

And all my robot maker buildings deleted themselves.

Is this a bug or something? I was able to change all the laws back and rebuild the robot makers.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I paid the shroud-coven enclave to tell my fortune, and the resulting event chain left one of my core worlds with a permanent -20 stability and -10 happiness modifier. Stellaris: Burn witches in the 23rd century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Shroud Coven is never worth it imo. They're the enclave equivalent of abandoned terraforming equipment. I like to blow them up.