Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pylons posted:

From the sounds of things, you expanded a bit too quickly. Each outpost increases the amount it takes to research a tech or get enough unity to unlock a tradition.

Oh... well that would have been good to know a few hours ago. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

What are the best ways for dealing with unrest on conquered planets now that you can't cram planets full of assault armies? I just finished my first war against a 3 planet empire that made the poor choice of sharing my planet class so I set them to get purged. Even with a basic defensive building manned by one of my pops, a slave processing facility, and the police state civic their former capital has well over 100 unrest. I have enough energy credits banked to maybe resettle enough of them around my empire to lower it enough, but I'd like to know if there's a better way than wiping out my cash reserves.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PSA: regular outposts can support up to three defense platforms. feel like your giant doom forts just aren't enough? put platforms in every system

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ask me about the time some assholes tried to step to my vassals because I was already busy with a big war only to find I could afford to hire some real rough boys from the nearby marauder empire :smugbert:

Fake e;

Dongattack posted:

I was utterly decimating a lovely bird empire and while i was bombarding the defenses of one of their planets down (which takes loving ages now btw) they somehow just forced white peace?

I was insane murder robots using a purification casus belli, and i had eradicated their fleet twice.

I've seen a couple of other people around the Net mention the same thing, but nobody seems to know if it's a WAD mechanic we haven't got to grips with yet or a bug.

Real e;

Ignorant Hick posted:

What are the best ways for dealing with unrest on conquered planets now that you can't cram planets full of assault armies? I just finished my first war against a 3 planet empire that made the poor choice of sharing my planet class so I set them to get purged. Even with a basic defensive building manned by one of my pops, a slave processing facility, and the police state civic their former capital has well over 100 unrest. I have enough energy credits banked to maybe resettle enough of them around my empire to lower it enough, but I'd like to know if there's a better way than wiping out my cash reserves.

Martial Law planetary edict can help keep things under control while you build up a better solution. As it stands though, yeah, it seems like new conquests filled with unhappy newly-enslaved pops are really hard to keep a lid on (which is great imo), I kept some assault armies on hand to shore up defenses when a rebellion occurred. Gotta plunk down them fortresses!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 23, 2018

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

gently caress I can't wait to get home. Should have called it and taken a snow day.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ms Adequate posted:

I've seen a couple of other people around the Net mention the same thing, but nobody seems to know if it's a WAD mechanic we haven't got to grips with yet or a bug.

The limit to force my war demands (for the bird noobs to commit ritual seppuko) was at like -1000% or something, as it should be for a eradication goal i guess. But maybe whatever algorithm they have sees the 100% goal for white peace and the ca -1000% to kill themselves and goes "WOAH PLAYER DOIN REAL BAD STOP THE WARS". Wouldn't be surprised.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

I had this happen to me in two wars. Utterly destroy an opponent and they reach 100% war exhaustion...and we just do a status quo peace despite my WE being like 15.

It’s maybe my only gripe about the new patch/expansion. It’s super loving good, and I love how long the early game takes now- since it’s the best part of the game.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Whoops posted to the old thread.

Literally unplayable.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I like the idea but the Fleet Manager sure seems pretty buggy. Like it seems to get the fleet cap prediction wrong constantly and designs appear and dissapear even though they’re in the fleet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I just saw that individual ships have an experience level and suddenly I'm honor-bound to make a fleet entirely out of elite ships.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay I ran into a minor issue that I want to record here, if it turns out after a restart to be a bug I will upload a save etc.

Has anyone else run into problems rivaling someone? My last game I was just straight up unable to rival anyone.

Also it was fun figuring out spaceports and how critical they are for everything.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

The beginnings of a mass extinction event, you say. :thunk:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dongattack posted:

The limit to force my war demands (for the bird noobs to commit ritual seppuko) was at like -1000% or something, as it should be for a eradication goal i guess. But maybe whatever algorithm they have sees the 100% goal for white peace and the ca -1000% to kill themselves and goes "WOAH PLAYER DOIN REAL BAD STOP THE WARS". Wouldn't be surprised.

If your war exhaustion hits 100%, your opponent can force a white peace, and war exhaustion ticks up slowly over time. I feel like this might need a bit of a balance pass, wars for non-planet systems are now remarkably easy to win, while wars for empire-wide objectives like subjugation can feel impossible to achieve, as they can leave you in a position where you've apparently won a complete victory, but can't invade the last two planets you need to tip the scale without bumping the war exhaustion to 100%, and can't just wait for the planets' troops to be bombed to nothing because ticking war exhaustion will get you before you do.

Felt especially galling as a hive mind, yeah sure I'm exhausted, but I'm mopping up, and speaking as a mind made up of a collection of billions of little living things who occasionally uses a mop, when I get exhausted mopping up I don't respond by dumping all the mess back on the floor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I see this bug is still around. Started with a Slaver Agenda on an Egalitarian empire.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The beginnings of a mass extinction event, you say. :thunk:

Obviously mother nature just trying to finish the job.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I see this bug is still around. Started with a Slaver Agenda on an Egalitarian empire.

Not a bug, just a capitalist.

e; Oh hey just had the White Peace thing happen to me too :v:

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Now my main fleet isn’t showing up in fleet manager? The gently caress is going on? Is there a way I can get it back there?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Is it faster to bombard planets infested by the Prethoryn swarm or just blow them up?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Wiz, a friend and I were doing a 2P game and ran into a persistent desync issue as "PLANET_MODIFIERS". This seems like a thing a cursory search doesn't turn up any results for, and multiple reloads didn't resolve it.

Game wasn't going well anyway, but should I upload the save for someone to take a look? :v:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

That desync also happened to me and a bud, but it happened after 80 years so it ended up being just a good point to stop :v:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

She's just being the change she wishes to see in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I very much appreciate the tech/tradition cost slider.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can't figure out how to build FTL inhibitors in space. It turns out that the reason marauders keep showing up in my space is that I snatched up a wormhole that lies right between the home systems of two separate hordes.

They don't exist anymore as far as I can tell. Planets with forts and upgraded spaceports have them, but they seem to act like EU4 forts now. Can't progress past them until you take them over, but you can still circumvent them if a path exists through another system.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So... if you have a fleet in a system with a jump inhibitor DO NOT SPLIT IT. One of the split fleets will have its "where it jumped in from" set to "nowhere", so all possible jumps are invalid until the war ends or the planet is taken. It's honestly pretty funny but it made what should've been a domination into a status quo. On that subject, vassalization wars feel really weird since the little war bar can be completely full, bright green, saying "100%", but no actually it's that single number on the war screen that's the important one. It feels like the little war icon should have a secondary bar that starts to fill up after 100% exhaustion, because right now it feels like you're forced to keep fighting after you "won".

But anyway, the patch is fantastic. The fleet manager is a godsend, even with as janky as it is right now.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Errr how do I upgrade Science Wvessels now?

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

Gaj posted:

Errr how do I upgrade Science Wvessels now?

They are automatically updated with the most advanced components you've researched, so they don't need to be designed.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Welp gonna have to give up this whole barbaric despoilers game as a bad job. at 2050 I definitely expanded way too hard, hit starvation multiple times, and had my homeworld rebel. I attacked some atomic age primitives to get me juicy new tomb world, attacked another and made them into livestock but when I finally did encounter another empire, they were way ahead of me. Game was just hosed from top to bottom. I'll try again tomorrow lol.

edit: Gonna roll a regular rear end kingdom next i think. I need to get a better handle on the new systems.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 23, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I thought there was supposed to be a way to move 2 fleets at the same time? I don't see that ability anywhere.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I severely dislike the new pirates and the new marauders.

I lost two games by getting econ hosed by marauder fleets 50x stronger than what I could field, which triggered a joint invasion from several neighbors.

The pirate spam is also bad. It is dumb and annoying and I feel like I spend half my time rebuilding poo poo they blew up before my fleet could engage them.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Xae posted:

I lost two games by getting econ hosed by marauder fleets 50x stronger than what I could field, which triggered a joint invasion from several neighbors.

The pirate spam is also bad. It is dumb and annoying and I feel like I spend half my time rebuilding poo poo they blew up before my fleet could engage them.

I didn't see any marauders bu the pirates are probably a bit too dangerous. Maybe it's just that I started in such a lonely bit of the galaxy.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So what are peoples first choice of ascension perk these days?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This may have been answered already, but if I take the marauder civic, how do I use the cb? I don't have any valid cb on nearby empires.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Axetrain posted:

So what are peoples first choice of ascension perk these days?

I usually take something that snowballs over time, like technological ascendency. Getting an extra 10% research speed early is really nice.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

binge crotching posted:

This may have been answered already, but if I take the marauder civic, how do I use the cb? I don't have any valid cb on nearby empires.

You must literally neighbour them.

THE loving MOON posted:

Welp gonna have to give up this whole barbaric despoilers game as a bad job. at 2050 I definitely expanded way too hard, hit starvation multiple times, and had my homeworld rebel. I attacked some atomic age primitives to get me juicy new tomb world, attacked another and made them into livestock but when I finally did encounter another empire, they were way ahead of me. Game was just hosed from top to bottom. I'll try again tomorrow lol.

edit: Gonna roll a regular rear end kingdom next i think. I need to get a better handle on the new systems.

It's really annoying how slow abducting people is. I get that it needs some form of balance, but it's far easier to actually conquer a planet than to steal some pops and that just doesn't feel right.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Emalde posted:

Wiz, a friend and I were doing a 2P game and ran into a persistent desync issue as "PLANET_MODIFIERS". This seems like a thing a cursory search doesn't turn up any results for, and multiple reloads didn't resolve it.

Game wasn't going well anyway, but should I upload the save for someone to take a look? :v:

I hadthis happen too. It eventually progresses to a point where one player can't do anything and has to leave then rejoin.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Xae posted:

People were super excited to hear that pirates were going to be more of a challenge but I am glad to hear this because I hate that poo poo already and at least this way I know I'm not alone in hating pirates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey you can look at the details of crystal ships now, that's neat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Gaia start is pretty interesting. With the change to make it so each system increases the cost of your tech, even without planting a new colony there, you can't blob out by just claiming systems and putting down mining/research stations. You really need to focus on getting the high value ones and forgoing the other ones.

I'm not sure how viable it is given that you really can't just claim ideal systems as islands and hope to hold onto them, and snaking is pretty risky too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Gaia start is pretty interesting. With the change to make it so each system increases the cost of your tech, even without planting a new colony there, you can't blob out by just claiming systems and putting down mining/research stations. You really need to focus on getting the high value ones and forgoing the other ones.

I'm not sure how viable it is given that you really can't just claim ideal systems as islands and hope to hold onto them, and snaking is pretty risky too.

I'm not sure about that given that you... absolutely can just build more resources on the systems you claim? The main difference is that you can't exploit planets until much later in the game, but in exchange you have a very strong initial planet which can easily count as the output from multiple lesser worlds.

It's going to make getting habitats or world shaper a priority though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You need to maintain a culled area around your capital and use pirates as a buffer force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drat, I've been completely boxed in by Ancient Mining Drones. How aggressive are these things? Can I slip science ships past them or am I gonna have to beef up my fleet to clear them out?