Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Assuming we're talking the random spsce creatures (there's a bunch of different ones) and not an AI empire that declared war on you, pretty much yeah. There will be techs (and a bonus in the Supremacy tree) that will increase the 20 ship Command Limit dramatically through the game, and the ship parts you research will steadily increase the power of your ships as you go. And don't be afraid to just send multiple fleets on the same mission either.

In the meantime you can just ignore them. Put your science ships on Evasive and they'll do their best not to blunder into enemies, but it'll still happen until you get better sensors.

If the aliens are blocking you, you can try putting your ship on non-evasive stance and manually pathing them around the hostiles too; most aliens won't go out of their way to attack your ships.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm about to smash my two fleets of crappy corvettes into a relatively equal strength alien butt (non-empire) and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lol that trade agreements and science agreements and defensive pacts and whatever else STILL don't tell you what the benefits or costs associated with each one would be on the screen where they get proposed. some empire wants me to join in something and... does this one cost influence? how much will they get? how much will i get? who knows.

part of me assumes that they didnt bother because the diplo overhaul is gonna fix all that, and part of me assumes they're just never going to make this basic stuff happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In 1993's Master of Orion it could clearly tell you how much trade agreements would net you when you're proposing it, and the diplomacy screen clearly showed how existing treaties were growing over time any time you wanted to check.
26 years later, Paradox still can't figure out how to implement such an incredibly simple mechanic.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I would add take the trouble to try to understand the ship meta. I don't agree with everything here, but this guy's series videos gave me a useful starting point to begin thinking about how I should be designing my ships.

Once you have a basic appreciation of ship design, that will help you make more informed ship technology research choices. All leading up to the recommendation that you make frequent use of the "upgrade fleet" feature. It is very satisfying to upgrade a fleet you haven't used in a while and have its strength increase significantly. You can also design ships to counter a certain enemy specifically and retrofit your existing fleet.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

DasNeonLicht posted:

I would add take the trouble to try to understand the ship meta. I don't agree with everything here, but this guy's series videos gave me a useful starting point to begin thinking about how I should be designing my ships.

Once you have a basic appreciation of ship design, that will help you make more informed ship technology research choices. All leading up to the recommendation that you make frequent use of the "upgrade fleet" feature. It is very satisfying to upgrade a fleet you haven't used in a while and have its strength increase significantly. You can also design ships to counter a certain enemy specifically and retrofit your existing fleet.

Yeah I’ve been making good use of the upgrade fleet thing. I kinda just winged it and made my own ships and they seem to be doing okay for now. I’m not sure how to see what the enemy is weak to in order to make hard counters yet.

So I’m around 2280ish and I’m not really sure what to do. I have more space I can settle but I’m almost out of area to explore since everyone closed their borders to me for no reason. Do I just keep expanding? I noticed I’m way over my empire sprawl number but I’m not sure at what point that becomes bad or if I can offset the penalty with my new territory’s production?

How do you actually win? Kill everyone? Seems...far fetched considering how big the galaxy is. I guess I’m just kind of lost and not sure what I should be working towards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"Winning" is mostly player-subjective, but there is a hard time limit for when the game closes. Most people will call it a win after a lategame super-event is defeated, which was threatening the entire galaxy.

Stellaris is very much a "make your own fun" game in tradition with other Paradox titles, even if that clashes strongly with a 4X's core design.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Juggernauts and stuff sounds cool but why are they so late? The game needs more cool stuff in the early to mid sections of the game where it might actually prompt interesting developments and choices. All the cool stuff in Stellaris is so late in the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has Paradox stated when Federations is coming out, by any chance? Because although there have been many gripes in this thread (some of them my own), I'm still excited for the origin stuff that's being introduced in the expansion.

Since although I doubt this'll be optimal (doing it more for flavour, as well as to try new things) but I'm planning on using the 'broken ringworld' start and play very small/tall, with regards to space owned and not at all planets inhabited. I'm gonna stake my claim early and make sure my borders are at some nice chokepoints, then I'll primarily live off the few core worlds in my demesne and habitats (the upgraded/expanded sort, anyway). I'll also use a navy that's heavily focused on bombers and fighters, as I've never really used them before. I'm thinking I'll have my battleships be packed chock-full of them, and cruisers that are half-strike craft, half-swarm missiles - to hopefully draw PD-fire from the bombers.
Another big aspect on what I'm planning on having is a big mining world full of prisoners or robots (depending on how habitable it is. Although, are thrall worlds any good for this? Never used them. Or penal worlds for that matter - but I want to try one out) with a habitat in orbit, converting a large amount of that into alloys. I'll also aim to repair the damaged ring segments (since from memory one is destroyed and two are repairable? Correct me if I'm wrong, though) and build a habitat in my ring system that's dedicated to bureaucrats and/or trade, depending on how useful they are to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Major Isoor posted:

Has Paradox stated when Federations is coming out, by any chance? Because although there have been many gripes in this thread (some of them my own), I'm still excited for the origin stuff that's being introduced in the expansion.

The only thing I know is that it comes out after the Christmas holidays, because they don't want to release a DLC and then be unable to fix major bugs (again).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah I’ve been making good use of the upgrade fleet thing. I kinda just winged it and made my own ships and they seem to be doing okay for now. I’m not sure how to see what the enemy is weak to in order to make hard counters yet.

So I’m around 2280ish and I’m not really sure what to do. I have more space I can settle but I’m almost out of area to explore since everyone closed their borders to me for no reason. Do I just keep expanding? I noticed I’m way over my empire sprawl number but I’m not sure at what point that becomes bad or if I can offset the penalty with my new territory’s production?

How do you actually win? Kill everyone? Seems...far fetched considering how big the galaxy is. I guess I’m just kind of lost and not sure what I should be working towards.

Yep, keep expanding. It's good to be under your admin cap, but once you're over it you still get more from expanding than you lose in penalties, and the penalties don't include big stuff like alloy production and ship cap. Take opportunities to raise your admin cap when you can.

To win, have the top score when the game end year hits or kill everyone.

If you're thinking that colonising, conquering and managing the entire galaxy sounds like a chore, well, it is. The standard map is way too big for the amount of work you have to put into managing the planets in it. I play on tiny maps exclusively and still hit the point where I can't be bothered managing my planets well because they're so numerous.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Suggestion: You can build as many Juggernauts as you like, but they consume both Naval Cap and Starbase Cap.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Suggestion: You can build as many Juggernauts as you like, but they consume both Naval Cap and Starbase Cap.
Please no, I need my Starbases to combat the insufferable Trade/Piracy mechanics

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What if juggernauts also suppressed piracy like starbases?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Please no, I need my Starbases to combat the insufferable Trade/Piracy mechanics

By the time you could plausibly build juggernauts you really shouldn't. Gateway that poo poo.

Major Isoor posted:

Another big aspect on what I'm planning on having is a big mining world full of prisoners or robots (depending on how habitable it is. Although, are thrall worlds any good for this? Never used them. Or penal worlds for that matter - but I want to try one out)

Consider Nihilistic Acquisition plus Purge. Pops take forever to die on slave labour, and generate huge amounts of food and minerals out if thin all. Gestalt robots produce alloys if you can get 'em.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 9, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

What if juggernauts also suppressed piracy like starbases?
A juggernaut shouldnt be hanging out in my backwater systems so it would be bad at that job.

PittTheElder posted:

By the time you could plausibly build juggernauts you really shouldn't. Gateway that poo poo.
Good point. I'm usually bad at rushing that tech and never seem to get it before 2325 or so but I doubt we'll be able to get Titans Juggernauts that early, sooooo yeah.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

literally remove naval capacity, if I can churn out enough minerals to feed them then let me feed them

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

cock hero flux posted:

literally remove naval capacity, if I can churn out enough minerals to feed them then let me feed them

Like a lot of games there's built in anti-snowball mechanics. Or else once you got a leg up you'd just go completely berserk and conquer the galaxy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Replace Starbase Capacity entirely with Big Space Things Capacity. Ditch the Megastructure "build one at a time" restriction and instead they chew through Big Cap. Everything ship bigger than a Battleship costs Big Cap. Make Habitats real good but they eat up Big Cap. Voidborne and Master Builders gives you additional Big Cap.

cock hero flux posted:

You already can, there's just a point where you stop getting discount upkeep.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
It would be cool if juggernauts could be like mobile gateways. Push it into enemy territory and send constant reinforcements through it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Robo-Slap posted:

It would be cool if juggernauts could be like mobile gateways. Push it into enemy territory and send constant reinforcements through it.

We really are just talking about the Vasari Titan now, aren't we?

edit: Could you imagine how much better the game would be if they just cut&pasted the entire SoaSE fleet & space combat into Stellaris?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 9, 2019

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

cock hero flux posted:

if I can churn out enough minerals to feed them then let me feed them

You can already do this. Naval capacity is a soft cap. The real hard cap is your mineral capacity. If you can afford the additional cost there is nothing stopping you from exceeding the cap.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Gort posted:

If you're thinking that colonising, conquering and managing the entire galaxy sounds like a chore, well, it is. The standard map is way too big for the amount of work you have to put into managing the planets in it. I play on tiny maps exclusively and still hit the point where I can't be bothered managing my planets well because they're so numerous.

Thanks for this, I'm just starting to get reliably into the mid game now and the biggest thing standing between me and really learning the mid to late game is the endless scroll of planets that need attention seemingly constantly. It's nice to know it's tedious for others and I'm not missing some nice automation option or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

All the cool stuff in Stellaris is so late in the game.

This is honestly my big complaint with the game at this point. All the cool stuff is at the end, and so much of it tends to arrive all at once, so it feels like you're just waiting around in the early game.

Then the AI powercurve is the mirror of that, at high difficulty they're overwhelmingly stronger, only to become completely impotent in the blink of an eye around 2300 or so because their alloy production can't keep up.

pnumoman posted:

Thanks for this, I'm just starting to get reliably into the mid game now and the biggest thing standing between me and really learning the mid to late game is the endless scroll of planets that need attention seemingly constantly. It's nice to know it's tedious for others and I'm not missing some nice automation option or something.

Go get Tiny Outliner v2 on the Steam Workshop. Probably Tiny Fleets too. It makes everything so much easier to deal with when you can get it all on the screen at once. Makes managing up to 30 planets pretty easy IMO, and there's no need to ever have more than 30.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Assuming it gets updated for 2.5, the mod Automatic Pop Migration is very good for relieving the tedium of having to manually move unemployed pops off of full planets to new ones.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Then the AI powercurve is the mirror of that, at high difficulty they're overwhelmingly stronger, only to become completely impotent in the blink of an eye around 2300 or so because their alloy production can't keep up.
People have scoffed at me for it, but I've been playing on Grand Admiral but with Scaling difficulty. It lets me play a more leisurely early game with a (usually) more challenging mid-game. I rarely play through to the end game though because managing too many planets gets tedious. I've gotten up to 50+ because of conquest + Habitats and I can make it work but its exhausting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It used to just be minerals that were the "build stuff" resource, didn't it? Why did they put in alloys as well?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So that you would have a tier 1 build stuff resource (minerals) and a tier 2 build stuff resource (alloys) and that you have to make decisions balancing the two and managing how you go about scaling the alloy production without ruining mineral production.

Interesting concept, I don't think it makes for very compelling gameplay in Stellaris but I'm guessing it was supposed to be part of the adding depth to econ thing with pops and jobs and all that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They also added Consumer Goods at the same time, so the idea is that you have to choose between turning minerals into military (Alloys, used in ships and space stuff) or economy (Consumer Goods, which are used in research, etc).

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So that you would have a tier 1 build stuff resource (minerals) and a tier 2 build stuff resource (alloys) and that you have to make decisions balancing the two and managing how you go about scaling the alloy production without ruining mineral production.

Interesting concept, I don't think it makes for very compelling gameplay in Stellaris but I'm guessing it was supposed to be part of the adding depth to econ thing with pops and jobs and all that.

yeah one of the main reasons I play mostly gestalts is to have fewer types of resources to manage

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Martout posted:

yeah one of the main reasons I play mostly gestalts is to have fewer types of resources to manage

This is secretly why machines are so stupidly good, imo.

You save SO MUCH building/district space not having to build consumer districts. You can get a tech advantage ridiculously fast.

The fact that you can grab ALL the planets and eventually have ALL the energy and mineral districts ever just means your early advantage can be translated into a late one, too.

Don't even get me started on a certain precursor event chain reward, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

This is honestly my big complaint with the game at this point. All the cool stuff is at the end, and so much of it tends to arrive all at once, so it feels like you're just waiting around in the early game.
This is 100% an artefact of the tech system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martout posted:

This is why I like Lithoids so much, I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

People have scoffed at me for it, but I've been playing on Grand Admiral but with Scaling difficulty. It lets me play a more leisurely early game with a (usually) more challenging mid-game. I rarely play through to the end game though because managing too many planets gets tedious. I've gotten up to 50+ because of conquest + Habitats and I can make it work but its exhausting.

With Scaling on they're just never competitive though.

I may need to go get that scaling difficulty mod, see if I can crank the late game bonuses somehow.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Don't even get me started on a certain precursor event chain reward, though.

The Cybrex presumably? Last game I played I had already researched Mega-Engineering before I got the last precursor anomaly (circa 2300). Admittedly I did forget you can use minor relics to trigger those now, I probably could have received it much earlier had I remembered.

Also I haven't got the First League in so damned long. Just want those sweet sweet Relic worlds.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have a mod that reduces piracy growth to 0.001% per year. It's great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have a mod that reduces piracy growth to 0.001% per year. It's great.
Yeah I've used that but I have friends I play MP with that dont play often so they want to play unmodded, especially because there are mods out there that are unstable and/or have poor balance choices by the mod author.

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not very good and dont try super hard so it works for me. Especially because when playing on the straight up Commodore is too easy at all times and Straight up Admiral is too hard at first then too weak too 50-75 years in.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

PittTheElder posted:

I may need to go get that scaling difficulty mod, see if I can crank the late game bonuses somehow.

The Cybrex presumably? Last game I played I had already researched Mega-Engineering before I got the last precursor anomaly (circa 2300). Admittedly I did forget you can use minor relics to trigger those now, I probably could have received it much earlier had I remembered.

Also I haven't got the First League in so damned long. Just want those sweet sweet Relic worlds.

Yes. It has to be the best precursor chain by far. Even if you arent a machine it's still ridiculously good. For machines its just straight broken.

I managed to repair a goddamn megastructure in 2270 because of them, and grab galactic wonders right afterwards.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah Machines races are broken in general, I generally avoid them for that reason. I also know regular organic + robots is great, but rarely play it just because I play Spiritualist so often.

Overall I think I'd prefer to just get the free Relic World from the First League, at least then you get the benefit right away. Ring Worlds are good but they're not Ecu good; does Secrets of the Cybrex actually give you Megastructures as a permanent research option? I've seen stuff on the internet that suggest this, but the wiki doesn't back it up.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 9, 2019

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's very odd, to me, that people keep calling machines broken when they seem to mean that the singleplayer game with busted AI and too much micro + pacing issues has less micro and pacing issues :shrug:

It's not like any of the other builds are all that challenging I just keep seeing this uniform opinion repeated over and over, nobody ever goes into detail like "well a NORMAL race can win by 2350 but a machine race can win by 2325 :ohdear:" just they're broken broken broken. If only the broken machines weren't there to ruin Stellaris tightly balanced gameplay and progression.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's very odd, to me, that people keep calling machines broken when they seem to mean that the singleplayer game with busted AI and too much micro + pacing issues has less micro and pacing issues :shrug:

It's not like any of the other builds are all that challenging I just keep seeing this uniform opinion repeated over and over, nobody ever goes into detail like "well a NORMAL race can win by 2350 but a machine race can win by 2325 :ohdear:" just they're broken broken broken. If only the broken machines weren't there to ruin Stellaris tightly balanced gameplay and progression.

Hey OP they're just saying that machines are overpowered in a general way and that's not good. This is a pretty basic comment you'll see in a lot of threads about video games!

Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey OP they're just saying that machines are overpowered in a general way and that's not good. This is a pretty basic comment you'll see in a lot of threads about video games!

Hope this helps.

Ah seems like you know the score, maybe you can explain it. How are they overpowered, in this singleplayer game with a janky AI? Do they trivialize the prestige of the cheevos?

Is there something, in specific, that their overpowered mechanics let you do that is so significant I mean nobody ever goes into it, I want to know what's this dark secret that the robots are hiding.