Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

There's no shame in using the tutorial, folks!

I did! I think? The tutorial directed me to those arrows, maybe?

This was years ago, before Utopia came out.

Epicurius posted:

I kind of like the game.
:same:
Been getting my spacefix from KSP and Surviving Mars lately, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always found defense platforms a complete waste of resources & upkeep because unless the system is connected to another hyperlane directly across from the entry lane enemy fleets will simply go around it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

I always found defense platforms a complete waste of resources & upkeep because unless the system is connected to another hyperlane directly across from the entry lane enemy fleets will simply go around it.

Put some long-range weapons on them. If an enemy fleet gets shot at, they'll be stuck in combat with that station until they can beat it.

Of course, defense platforms work best if you put your station somewhere the enemy has to go, and then send an additional fleet to block him. The AI often misjudges their chances in those situations and will go down in flames when fighting both your fleet and the station.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

And Tyler Too! posted:

That stops being a problem once jump inhibitors get researched (quite early in the game, like the first forty years early), then enemy fleets have to leave the same way they come in.

Although, it does have to be a proper starport to get an inhibitor, not just a standard outpost, but that's just 150 alloys or so to make the upgrade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Getting rid of in-system movement would have been good. A fleet is simply in a system, and if two fleets are in a system they fight or interact in some way. Keep the system view but get rid of planet view, have the system view the place you manage systems which are now the lowest level of economic detail.

This is basically how Endless Space does it, and I'm all for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

That stops being a problem once jump inhibitors get researched (quite early in the game, like the first forty years early), then enemy fleets have to leave the same way they come in.

Although, it does have to be a proper starport to get an inhibitor, not just a standard outpost, but that's just 150 alloys or so to make the upgrade.
Somehow reading this gave me the idea that every system should be able to have a station, just get rid of the drat cap, and to help balance it, make defense stuff way more expensive to upkeep so you cannot just spam them everywhere, or limit the number of defense stations by needing a building tied to it on a planet or something like that.

its probably a terrible idea but I hate the starbase cap.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

and to help balance it, make defense stuff way more expensive to upkeep so you cannot just spam them everywhere, or limit the number of defense stations by needing a building tied to it on a planet or something like that.

that's exactly how it is right now though...

so get rid of the cap, but add the same cap???

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

There is no saving Stellaris through DLC at this point

This game has had an average 10k/day players for almost 4 years with bumps only occurring with new expansion releases, I don't think it's as doomed as you're implying

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also "systems need terrain" wait, what? Are you kidding me? Is this a joke?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

fleets should work like Hearts of Iron armies and systems should work like provinces, with the system view existing but mostly being a cosmetic thing for immersion because it's a much more visually interesting way of representing that information

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Posting bad ideas on how to "fix" games is a time honored forum's tradition.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

This game has had an average 10k/day players for almost 4 years with bumps only occurring with new expansion releases, I don't think it's as doomed as you're implying

Nonsensically equating player counts to a game being "good" is a time honored forums tradition.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I think system view should stay like it is right now. I also think fleet combat should stay like it is right now. Because I actually really like playing Stellaris and none of the other games you people are talking about!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Nonsensically equating player counts to a game being "good" is a time honored forums tradition.

Well maybe quantify what "saving" the game means, then. I would have thought that a game is only doomed if its player count is slipping into the 100s regardless of whether it's "good"

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Chomp8645 posted:

Posting bad ideas on how to "fix" games is a time honored forum's tradition.

Ok, get rid of all advisor voices and replace them with Gilbert Gottfried

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I think system view should stay like it is right now. I also think fleet combat should stay like it is right now. Because I actually really like playing Stellaris and none of the other games you people are talking about!

the problem is that fleet combat is a very bad compromise between standard paradox combat and RTS combat, which is that your ships are all actual units actually represented in the game which actually fight each other, but you have no control over them other than grouping them into a big blob and then telling them vaguely where they should be

this is, I think, an objectively bad way of doing things

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cock hero flux posted:

a very bad compromise between standard paradox combat and RTS combat

A review of Stellaris.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

:same:

Stellaris owns and I am really looking forward to the next DLC.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

the problem is that fleet combat is a very bad compromise between standard paradox combat and RTS combat, which is that your ships are all actual units actually represented in the game which actually fight each other, but you have no control over them other than grouping them into a big blob and then telling them vaguely where they should be

Honestly the game doesn't even seem to care what kinds of combat modules I use, I can have corvettes on Swarm and battleships on Artillery but everything just winds up flying into a little clusterfuck sphere. Maybe splitting them up into different fleets would fix this but I don't want to do that.

Also I actually prefer the design where you, the President of Space, would not really have control over individual units during combat. That's fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

cock hero flux posted:

While I do have issues with how fleet combat works, I am very suspicious of the people who seem to want to go full RTS with it; it seems highly unlikely that such a system would be palatable to play in multiplayer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

that's exactly how it is right now though...

so get rid of the cap, but add the same cap???
Yes grandpa, remove the starbase cap and instead add a defense station or defense module cap or something in its place, so we can have more stations to do poo poo like put Deep Space Black sites over our planets, collect trade, build fleet cap buildings, ect.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

QuarkJets posted:

In my defense, I was mostly thinking about justifying the system view against the idea that it should go. Like, maybe if the objects in the system mattered in combat more, it would be good?? I know why I found the idea compelling but have realized the problem with it though: What I was thinking about was the first time I faced an endgame crisis in Stellaris and how I had to pull out all the stops and use every trick I could think of to stem the tide and push forward. In that case, I was spending most of my time watching one system where swarms kept coming through and my doomfleet was barely holding them back. Building stations to provide beneficial auras was useful. In that context, thinking about terrain can be very compelling.

The problem is that most combat in Stellaris isn't like this, so terrain elements would be overlooked most of the time or become a micromanagement chore. So while I think some of you are being a bit unnecessarily mean about it ( :smith: ), I can see why it's getting a negative reaction.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 18, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

During one game I had four observation posts above Sanctuary and a fully upgraded fortress because it was a choke point system. Twice in the game I had asteroids heading to sections of the ringworld. The event text always acted as if they were normal planets. I wanted to see what would happen if an asteroid hit but wow that fortress did not gently caress around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

QuarkJets posted:

Honestly the game doesn't even seem to care what kinds of combat modules I use, I can have corvettes on Swarm and battleships on Artillery but everything just winds up flying into a little clusterfuck sphere.

This is because combat modules only tell your ships where to stop advancing, as long as the target is inside that range the ship doesn't care even if it's literally about to collide with the target. The result is that ships inevitably end up converging in a big ball in the middle.

quote:

Maybe splitting them up into different fleets would fix this but I don't want to do that.

It doesn't. There are mods that add additional combat computers which DO at least specify different behaviors like hit and run or kiting, but I'm not sure how well those work.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

While I do have issues with how fleet combat works, I am very suspicious of the people who seem to want to go full RTS with it; it seems highly unlikely that such a system would be palatable to play in multiplayer.

I don't want to go full RTS with it, I want to go no RTS with it and have them just treat fleets like they treat armies in every other game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes grandpa, remove the starbase cap and instead add a defense station or defense module cap or something in its place, so we can have more stations to do poo poo like put Deep Space Black sites over our planets, collect trade, build fleet cap buildings, ect.

So basically you want a starbase cap on only one kind of starbase? Because you want to be able to build a near-infinite number of anchorages and hydroponics farms?

I don't think this is a good idea.

I think that it's better to have to pick and choose where your starbases go based on what they're needed for (e.g. trade, defense, etc.) while having the ability to try to choose synergistic uses (e.g. it's often good to have a deep space black site so I may as well make a trade station in the same system). You're probably not building a starbase in a nebula exclusively to put a nebula refinery there, but if you're choosing the location of your next anchorage then maybe you'll prefer a nebula system. This works well and rewards players who plan ahead while not punishing players who do not, because none of the unique starbase structures are really essential.

Allowing an unlimited number of non-military starbase upgrades would eliminate a degree of strategic choice, since you could build whatever starbase structures wherever you want without limitations. That's not an interesting system that gives a player any choices. You may as well not even have deep space black sites anymore, building them would just be busy work since they'd be an obvious inclusion in any system with population in it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

Honestly the game doesn't even seem to care what kinds of combat modules I use, I can have corvettes on Swarm and battleships on Artillery but everything just winds up flying into a little clusterfuck sphere. Maybe splitting them up into different fleets would fix this but I don't want to do that.

Also I actually prefer the design where you, the President of Space, would not really have control over individual units during combat. That's fine.
"Focus fire on the planet cracker" seems like something that you, the President of Space, might be allowed to say. Especially if you're on the planet in question.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

"Focus fire on the planet cracker" seems like something that you, the President of Space, might be allowed to say. Especially if you're on the planet in question.

Yeah that's a fair point but possibly it's just the exception that proves the rule, as this would be better regulated to a "target prioritization" setting rather than giving you RTS controls

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

So basically you want a starbase cap on only one kind of starbase? Because you want to be able to build a near-infinite number of anchorages and hydroponics farms?

I think that it's better to have to pick and choose where your starbases go based on what they're needed for (e.g. trade, defense, etc.) while having the ability to try to choose synergistic uses (e.g. it's often good to have a deep space black site so I may as well make a trade station in the same system). You're probably not building a starbase in a nebula exclusively to put a nebula refinery there, but if you're choosing the location of your next anchorage then maybe you'll prefer a nebula system. This works well and rewards players who plan ahead while not punishing players who do not, because none of the unique starbase structures are really essential.

Allowing an unlimited number of non-military starbase upgrades would eliminate a degree of strategic choice, since you could build whatever starbase structures wherever you want without limitations. That's not an interesting system that gives a player any choices. You may as well not even have deep space black sites anymore, building them would just be busy work since they'd be an obvious inclusion in any system with population in it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah that's a fair point but possibly it's just the exception that proves the rule, as this would be better regulated to a "target prioritization" setting rather than giving you RTS controls
I would be more than mollified by a target prioritisation system. Then you could add a bunch of actually interesting weapons and ships that do cool unique stuff and then combat could be engaging because you'd be all "OK do I want to take out the black hole gun first or the arc lightning guy that's chewing through my corvettes or maybe that weird glowing thing that I think is a psychic projection that is STEALING MY SHIPS WHAT THE gently caress KILL IT"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PittTheElder posted:

Remove multiplayer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DatonKallandor posted:

Remove multiplayer.

Nah.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Remove singleplayer.

Stellaris 2 always online MP. Now that's how you really sell cosmetic DLCs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unironically I would buy an expansion that gave you the power to build a megastructure that allows you to invade other peoples' games, turning you into their interdimensional end-game crisis.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Countless PC Gaming site writers have had a half written article titled ‘ Stellaris: The Dark Souls of 4x Games’ just waiting for that dlc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

It's an awful idea.

But it does remind me that we need a Food Megastructure. Something fantastically beautiful, with their kilometer long networks of glass framed in grids of metal, and the sunlight shining through jungles of vegetation inside. Life-giving stars above desolate planets... gardens on the wing.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I also genuinely don't like any of the other games people hype about and Stellaris being built and playing the way it does is why I enjoy it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

literally every other space 4x is unplayably unfun and stellaris was good at launch and better now

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Agreed, I bounce off 4x games but Stellaris is the only one that has held my attention. I get to be Tyranids, and I love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

It's an awful idea.

But it does remind me that we need a Food Megastructure. Something fantastically beautiful, with their kilometer long networks of glass framed in grids of metal, and the sunlight shining through jungles of vegetation inside. Life-giving stars above desolate planets... gardens on the wing.

You could just build a Ring World for that