Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

See I saw that setting but just assumed it was Paradox being potato?

what does being potato mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

yikes! posted:

what does being potato mean

It's a reference to VPOTUS Dan Quayle dismissing a spelling bee participant based on an archaic spelling of potato with a terminal "e" while, in modern American English, potato only takes a penultimate "e" in the plural form "potatoes"?

Broadly speaking, it means dumb.

E: :doh: A POTUS/VPOTUS who has left office is not referred to as a "Former POTUS/VPOTUS".

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 23, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

So do Missile/Small Craft for defense platforms or have two models and build Missile/Heavy and Small Craft/Heavy? Or maybe use flak batteries because their Evasion is 0?

E: Are either of the CIWS (flak/laser flak) good?

If you're using strike craft, there is no reason to build flak/pd, since the strike craft do such a good job at it already. There are a couple of caveats to that, like I believe the Swarm strike craft are pure bombers, but the standard ones do double duty on offense/defense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Don't build defense platforms or fighters or flak

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a mod that overhauls defense platforms to be worth a goddamn

like speeding up build speed/allowing concurrent building so they don't take literally longer than the goddamn starport-to-citadel build time to build a full set of platforms, only to get devoured as soon as a decently strong fleet shows up

I don't think citadels should be impregnable but man, the limitations on them right now are so pitiful. they're okay in the early game, irrelevant in the midgame, and hilariously pointless in the late game especially in regards to any crisis.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Defense platform are occasionally ok because they build real quick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they don't though. like the fastest I've seen them build is one every 3-4 months, which is not quick.

if more than one built at the same time, I could see that being a fine build speed, but one at a time is dumb.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I don’t know that they need much of an overhaul. Just cut the build price to around 75 alloy perhaps and they’ll be a reasonable way of dealing with trade security and random 1k pow wildlife

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

I don’t know that they need much of an overhaul. Just cut the build price to around 75 alloy perhaps and they’ll be a reasonable way of dealing with trade security and random 1k pow wildlife

The extra platforms, not the 6 modules

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

What's the current correct Corvette build? I do Missile with a Railgun (swap for a Disruptor or an Autocannon), 2 Armor (which changes to Armor and Crystal Plate when available) and 1 Shield (which gets upgraded to Psionic when available).

Are my Torpedo Boats actually Potato Boats?

:ohdear:

I do a mix of kinetic+missile and 1 kinetic+2 laser until I can build cruisers, where I change them all to missiles to back up my missile cruisers. I also have some strike craft cruisers until my battleships are ready. As for shields vs armor you need to tailor that to your enemy/environment. If there are lots of pulsars or foes with kinetics/missiles, go with more armor, if not, shields.

There are some mixed opinions on missiles and strike craft but I love them personally. You can take on space crystals, void clouds, and half of the leviathans with a seemingly smaller fleet size simply because you're completely bypassing shields and getting extra damage to armor/hull.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 24, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

And Tyler Too! posted:

I do a mix of kinetic+missile and 1 kinetic+2 laser until I can build cruisers, where I change them all to missiles to back up my missile cruisers. I also have some strike craft cruisers until my battleships are ready. As for shields vs armor you need to tailor that to your enemy/environment. If there are lots of pulsars or foes with kinetics/missiles, go with more armor, if not, shields.

There are some mixed opinions on missiles and strike craft but I love them personally. You can take on space crystals, void clouds, and half of the leviathans with a seemingly smaller fleet size simply because you're completely bypassing shields and getting extra damage to armor/hull.

One Weird Trick: Capital Ships Hate This But There's Nothing They Can Do!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You don't need missiles or strike craft to bypass shields

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well now, there's something I haven't seen in a long loving time. rolling around with my prepping-for-endgame empire, and I have a colossus for total war shenanigans, and an empire openly declared war on me, with the fleets to back it up, fully upgraded and optimized loadouts to boot! an actual semblance of a challenge, will wonders never cease! the prior update they were still tooling around with tier 3 or 4 weapons even with glavius AI's improvements and even after the crisis was dealt with. now their worlds are generally relatively well-laid-out and not just masses of unupgraded buildings.

they're still gonna lose, but they've definitely put in an effort, and even sent a second sizeable pair of fleets around back to hit the less-defended second half of my empire. this is much better than before.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Star ruler was a very funny game series but was absolutely hamstringed by it's insistance on using newtonian ship physics.

This meant that battles were incredibly lovely and nearly impossible to force. AI fleets would fly right past you without slowing down, at which point you could never intercept them, and even if the AI wanted to fight, you'd end up with two giant orbitting clumps of ships which would be unable to get in range of eachother due to physics.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've been doing nothing but waiting and clicking through new +5% techs and unemployment pop-ups since 2410. The galaxy is at peace, nothing is happening anymore and everything is discovered. It's now 2443 and I'm still just waiting. I'm not going to war because I'm roleplaying a pacifist United Nations human federation, a bit star trekky.

So, what now? I've read that a crisis can happen in the endgame. Does that always happen? Last major thing I did was put down a robot rebellion early 2400's and after that I gave the robots full citizen rights.

I'm now seeing if I can put a robot in place of president. I've already had a couple of alien rulers so that's fun little challenge for now. This game is really enjoyable, if you do some roleplaying.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Star ruler was a very funny game series but was absolutely hamstringed by it's insistance on using newtonian ship physics.

This meant that battles were incredibly lovely and nearly impossible to force. AI fleets would fly right past you without slowing down, at which point you could never intercept them, and even if the AI wanted to fight, you'd end up with two giant orbitting clumps of ships which would be unable to get in range of eachother due to physics.

Why wouldn't you have infinite range though

Like, throw a rock, it's not gonna stop

John F Bennett posted:

I've been doing nothing but waiting and clicking through new +5% techs and unemployment pop-ups since 2410. The galaxy is at peace, nothing is happening anymore and everything is discovered. It's now 2443 and I'm still just waiting. I'm not going to war because I'm roleplaying a pacifist United Nations human federation, a bit star trekky.

So, what now? I've read that a crisis can happen in the endgame. Does that always happen? Last major thing I did was put down a robot rebellion early 2400's and after that I gave the robots full citizen rights.

I'm now seeing if I can put a robot in place of president. I've already had a couple of alien rulers so that's fun little challenge for now. This game is really enjoyable, if you do some roleplaying.

You can expect the crisis between 2450 and 2500. If you don't want to wait, install this mod and trigger it yourself, or pull down the console with tilde and use one of these console commands like crisis.10 to trigger it.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 24, 2020

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gort posted:

Cause it'd be incredibly easy to dodge that rock. Even lasers have an incredibly short practical maximum range in space terms (they start gettting very dicey at 1 light second, forget about hitting anything that can move at 2).

Star Ruler 2 really is incredibly - brilliant diplomacy mechanics, awesome combat mechanics and weird tech. I won once by playing with Gate FTL tech so I ended up putting planetary thrusters and tons of guns and support fleets on a planet and to conquer a system I'd launch a gate at it, and then fly the planet to the enemy system, grab all their stuff then give it thrusters and fly it back through the gate. Had a single system with dozens of planets in it all stolen from other places.

Still think the best 4x is Sword of the Stars 1 though - it's just so clean.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Gort posted:

Range isn't the problem. Aim is. It's very hard to aim when you're talking about the ranges involved in "realistic" space combat. Any direct-fire weapon (like a rock or even a laser) has to be fired from essentially point-blank range because the information lag makes targeting a crap-shoot past a couple hundred thousand miles. Indirect-fire weapons (missiles) are better off, but it's still a massive problem to get a tiny missile to collide with an only slightly less tiny space ship millions of miles away.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Zurai posted:

Range isn't the problem. Aim is. It's very hard to aim when you're talking about the ranges involved in "realistic" space combat. Any direct-fire weapon (like a rock or even a laser) has to be fired from essentially point-blank range because the information lag makes targeting a crap-shoot past a couple hundred thousand miles. Indirect-fire weapons (missiles) are better off, but it's still a massive problem to get a tiny missile to collide with an only slightly less tiny space ship millions of miles away.

One of the more interesting takes on space combat I've seen is in the PnP RPG Transhuman Space, which deals with this problem using variations on the shotgun principle. A common direct fire weapon for spacecraft is a coilgun that can fire munitions like clouds of metal pellets launched in the general expected vicinity of an oncoming ship, or nuke-pumped x-ray laser bombs that fire beams in a scattershot pattern. Another common one is basically a big spinal-mounted particle accelerator that just floods the general area of an enemy ship with deadly particle radiation hoping to kill off any crew in an un-shielded area of the ship or damage electronics.

It doesn't have missiles in the way we usually think of, it has AI-driven kamikaze "fighter craft" that close in firing lasers before using its maneuvering thrusters to crash into the enemy.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 24, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

One of the more interesting takes on space combat I've seen is in the PnP RPG Transhuman Space, which deals with this problem using variations on the shotgun principle. A common direct fire weapon for spacecraft is a coilgun that can fire munitions like clouds of metal pellets launched in the general expected vicinity of an oncoming ship, or nuke-pumped x-ray lasers that fire beams in a scattershot pattern.

It doesn't have missiles in the way we usually think of, it has AI-driven kamikaze "fighter craft" that close in firing lasers before using its maneuvering thrusters to crash into the enemy.

That would only ameliorate things very slightly, and you'd have to keep the spread to an incredibly narrow band. Even half a degree is going to yield tens of thousands of miles of separation or more. The best solution I've seen is (regrettably) Honor Harrington's bomb-pumped laser warhead missiles. The missiles don't have to collide with their target, and they detonate close enough that the spread from the lasers significantly increases the chance of a hit. HH is still very unrealistic; among other things, it has FTL sensors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Zurai posted:

The best solution I've seen is (regrettably) Honor Harrington's bomb-pumped laser warhead missiles. The missiles don't have to collide with their target, and they detonate close enough that the spread from the lasers significantly increases the chance of a hit.

Oh yeah this is basically what I meant about the nuke-pumped x-ray lasers, they're like laser bomb munitions fired by the coilgun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

Range is a problem for energy weapons, as you have to somehow keep your beams of particles/waves coherent and dense enough to do damage. Not many people think about this, but e. g. the beam of a communication laser turns into something more like a cone after it has traveled for long enough across the solar system.

I'd imagine hypothetical future laser or particle beam weapons would face similar problems when fired across relativistic ranges. A rock is always going to be a rock, even after a zillion miles, but a laser could turn from a steel-melting menace to a slightly annoying flashlight during that flight.

Targeting is less of an issue, as long as the target doesn't have to suddenly change course. An energy weapon travels at light speed, the target won't know it's getting shot at until it is already hit. Aim your laser at the point where the enemy ship is going to be, and you'll always hit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

Targeting is less of an issue, as long as the target doesn't have to suddenly change course. An energy weapon travels at light speed, the target won't know it's getting shot at until it is already hit. Aim your laser at the point where the enemy ship is going to be, and you'll always hit.

That only works if the enemy doesn't know you're there. Anyone engaging in combat is going to be altering course randomly, just like naval ships start to weave back and forth when hostiles are engaged (try playing Silent Hunter or similar sometimes, it's vastly harder to hit ships that know you're there because they're constantly changing course slightly).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm deep in an endgame where I'm mostly just passing time, and I'd like to be able to do two things:

1. automate research choices, auto-picking the lowest cost tech when it's time to pick a new one

2. automate pop resettlement: if there is an unemployed or unhoused pop (ESPECIALLY ROBOTS/SYNTHS), and moving them would not cause a building to be ruined, then move him to the planet with the most jobs/housing available.

are there mods or good in-game ways to automate these things?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gentlemen the solution is obvious:

Railgun launched AI guided missiles the size of houses with antimatter reactors on board that provide both power to maneuvering thrusters and a devastating warhead. Deadly explosive range of 10s of thousands of kilometers and capable of extinction level events on planets.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

pmchem posted:

I'm deep in an endgame where I'm mostly just passing time, and I'd like to be able to do two things:

1. automate research choices, auto-picking the lowest cost tech when it's time to pick a new one

2. automate pop resettlement: if there is an unemployed or unhoused pop (ESPECIALLY ROBOTS/SYNTHS), and moving them would not cause a building to be ruined, then move him to the planet with the most jobs/housing available.

are there mods or good in-game ways to automate these things?

For resettlement, definitely use https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1617534169.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Gentlemen the solution is obvious:

Railgun launched AI guided missiles the size of houses with antimatter reactors on board that provide both power to maneuvering thrusters and a devastating warhead. Deadly explosive range of 10s of thousands of kilometers and capable of extinction level events on planets.

Explosions don't really explode well in space, there isn't enough matter to propagate a proper shockwave. That's one of the problems with conventional missiles, it basically has to be a direct hit to matter.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The best Space Weapons are those in the last book of the Three Body Problem trilogy.

wipe out entire solar systems by deleting the third dimension? sign me up for Operation Pancake!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Doesn't antimatter convert a bunch of its explosive energy into gamma radiation? That would definitely gently caress up a crew.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a mod that overhauls defense platforms to be worth a goddamn

like speeding up build speed/allowing concurrent building so they don't take literally longer than the goddamn starport-to-citadel build time to build a full set of platforms, only to get devoured as soon as a decently strong fleet shows up

I don't think citadels should be impregnable but man, the limitations on them right now are so pitiful. they're okay in the early game, irrelevant in the midgame, and hilariously pointless in the late game especially in regards to any crisis.

There is a mod that makes them indestructible with a shutdown period. Can add a fail chance so they can be destroyed, but not all are wiped out in one pass. Makes the cost more sane seeing as each is a destroyer otherwise that pops super fast.

At War: Platform Longevity
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2026860149

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a decent compromise, thanks.

the idea that if you lose the starbase, you then have to face off against the fully upgraded starbase you built with all the defense platforms to get it back is a pretty neat balancing trick, intentional or not. only problem is, again, starbases just don't hold up even with full defense platforms late game. they're not even speedbumps, the instant a battleship fleet gets in range the citadel just evaporates.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Part of the At War series Starbase Improvements gives heavy station sections, with more guns, so a full heavy citadel acts like 12 standard gun sections vs 6, and heavy platforms that can have 2 x mounts or up to 4 heavy mounts, 8 medium or 16 light/pd. The heavy Hangers are kinda broken, i think giving 6-8 hangers worth each.

At War: Station Improvements
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2026861346

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

That only works if the enemy doesn't know you're there. Anyone engaging in combat is going to be altering course randomly, just like naval ships start to weave back and forth when hostiles are engaged (try playing Silent Hunter or similar sometimes, it's vastly harder to hit ships that know you're there because they're constantly changing course slightly).

Coincidentally, this means that future space battle are probably over after the first shot: Either you hit, or the enemy knows you're there and starts evading madly. A ship pulling off space stealth would melt you down before you can even start thinking about evading.

Or alternatively, "constantly changing course" turns out to not mean anything in space, as only ships with a hypothetical reactionless drive would be able to alter course strong enough to evade. With good enough computers and with physics preventing too rough course alterations, a battery of space lasers would still have good chances to hit.

Incoming missiles would have a lot better chance at evading energy beams, as they can maneuver a lot harder than a massive space ship with squishy people on them.

Anyway, considering the reaction times that needs to be involved in any kind of real space battle, chances are it will come down to the computers on side A trying to predict when best to alter course to evade shots, and the computers on side B trying to predict which new course the enemy ships will follow in the near future. And whoever has the best computers wins.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Zurai posted:

Explosions don't really explode well in space, there isn't enough matter to propagate a proper shockwave. That's one of the problems with conventional missiles, it basically has to be a direct hit to matter.

A 50 million ball bearings travelling at relativistic speeds would do the trick!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Libluini posted:

Coincidentally, this means that future space battle are probably over after the first shot: Either you hit, or the enemy knows you're there and starts evading madly. A ship pulling off space stealth would melt you down before you can even start thinking about evading.

Or alternatively, "constantly changing course" turns out to not mean anything in space, as only ships with a hypothetical reactionless drive would be able to alter course strong enough to evade. With good enough computers and with physics preventing too rough course alterations, a battery of space lasers would still have good chances to hit.

Incoming missiles would have a lot better chance at evading energy beams, as they can maneuver a lot harder than a massive space ship with squishy people on them.

Anyway, considering the reaction times that needs to be involved in any kind of real space battle, chances are it will come down to the computers on side A trying to predict when best to alter course to evade shots, and the computers on side B trying to predict which new course the enemy ships will follow in the near future. And whoever has the best computers wins.

Assuming everyone is aware of the same issues, wouldn't space battles be less of an issue than space wars which would be decided by the side with more/stealthier and better decentralized space colonies/infrastructure/etc so their species doesn't go extinct the first time their homeworld gets WMD'd?

So in the crudest approach the first thing to do upon detecting an alien civilization is fire a doomsday missile/etc at every potentially inhabited planet you can find, while dispatching scouts to look for more (or even flood the universe with autonomous exploration probes/weapons that just endlessly search for anything to target, even if their creators no longer exist) and then maybe start thinking/discussing whether coexistence is an option.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So, uh... this is the first game of this type that I've ever played. The complexity is... intimidating, to say the least. The brief "tutorials" seem to assume that I'm extremely familiar with this genre. After spending an hour trying to figure things out, I gave up and played something else. :staredog:

How do I even begin to figure out how to get into a game like this? Even the wikis are going slightly over my head. :sigh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just started playing this game myself last week as my first paradox game. I agree the tutorials aren't really tutorials but I've found it best just to play it while just looking stuff up as you go.

It grows on you quickly and I'm having a blast now, but you're going to restart your first dozen games because you're learning new stuff all the time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

...! posted:

So, uh... this is the first game of this type that I've ever played. The complexity is... intimidating, to say the least. The brief "tutorials" seem to assume that I'm extremely familiar with this genre. After spending an hour trying to figure things out, I gave up and played something else. :staredog:

How do I even begin to figure out how to get into a game like this? Even the wikis are going slightly over my head. :sigh:

Watch a youtube tutorial? Try to find a recent one, game has changed quite a lot since the beginning.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I didn't have any real experience with grand strategy before playing this game, it took me a while to learn the ropes. I just picked the UNE and turned the difficulty all the way down. Between the tutorial, pushing all the buttons to see what happens, and hovering over every UI element to read the tooltips I got a pretty good sense of things right around the time the crisis showed up and killed everyone. At the end of the day the game's about making the numbers in the top bar get bigger. There's a lot of layers of mechanics to make that happen but as long as you're making number go up you're playing it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

...! posted:

to me it feels kind of like a strategy board game. you should probably start out on easy and with only a couple fallen empires/marauders in your galaxy, go with a medium sized galaxy, and maybe start out as egalitarian xenophiles since they're generally one of the easier types of empires to play as.

keep the "auto-design ships" option on in the ship builder for now, you can learn the fleet composition stuff later, for now it'll build generally useful ships. just know that corvettes are fast but weak, destroyers are slightly tankier and slightly stronger, cruisers are middle of the road and have a decent spread of weapon options, battleships are very slow, don't evade well, but can take a lot of punishment and dish out tons of firepower, and titans are supermassive capital ships that most empires can only have a few of at one time but confer serious bonuses to the fleets they are grouped with.

generally, you want to expand your empire until you can't anymore, then either go on the offensive against other empires or work within diplomacy to make friends with other empires, deal with events and crises, that sort of thing. it can be overwhelming, but most things in the game will tell you what it does/the stats for it by hovering your cursor over it(hovering over individual ships in a fleet will show you their stats, upkeep, fleet power, hovering over some buttons will say what they do, etc). this was my first grand strategy game as well, and it took a few runs of bashing my face into everything before I really started to get the hang of it, but now I can take on the hardest difficulty and stand a chance. right now I'm fighting a two-pronged war on both sides of my empire and it's actually kind of exhilarating because the enemy is using gateways to ambush the weaker arms of my empire, while I plow through the center of one of their empire's homeworld cluster, and it's sort of a race to the finish at this point.

definitely don't turn on advanced starts either, it makes enemy AI much stronger right out the gate, which is bad if you're learning the ropes. You could also, if you have the DLC that adds origins(I think it's federations?) use the federated start that pairs you up with two other empires at the start, which might be a big help in surviving and figuring things out.

edit: here's a guide that was the first result for "stellaris 2.7 tutorial", it's 38 minutes long, I haven't watched it all but based on the likes/dislikes ratio it's probably decent and worth watching for you. from what he says at the start it's a primer on the UI, economic stuff, do's/don'ts of running your empire, that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bln-A_3OMo8&hd=1

edit: he's been making updated tutorials for the latest patch and putting them in this playlist. I skimmed the above video and it's quite a good tutorial so I recommend it if you're new, though it only covers the very basics of the UI since there is so goddamn much in this game. still, try not to be too intimidated! the game is fun, if often very broken, and especially early on when you don't already know the outcomes of all the various events, it's really wondrous.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 24, 2020