Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Dorkopotamis posted:

What I hate about Stellaris, is that if you are playing at all optimally, or expanding as you receive opportunities to expand, micro management becomes so unwieldy and not-fun that I can't bring myself to ever getting past the mid-game. It wasn't always this way, so far as I can remember. This is the most bloated Paradox game I've played by a country mile and that's saying something.

It is a good idea to turn down habitables or galaxy size if you are having this issue

You can also automate planet development to keep your workload down.

Whats inexplicable is not being able to automate station building, unless you can and I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

What I hate about Stellaris, is that if you are playing at all optimally, or expanding as you receive opportunities to expand, micro management becomes so unwieldy and not-fun that I can't bring myself to ever getting past the mid-game. It wasn't always this way, so far as I can remember. This is the most bloated Paradox game I've played by a country mile and that's saying something.

Yeah there are a lot of "optimal" strategies that just aren't worth doing, so you should just not do them. Every game has that kind of thing, Stellaris just has more than usual. Turn down habitable planets to the minimum, set guaranteed habitable planets to zero, and just play to your comfort level

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Do those early crisis videos ever actually show how on earth they are building up their economy so quickly? I'm watching that one Invictus posted and I can't understand how he is doing what he is doing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drilldo squirt posted:

Do those early crisis videos ever actually show how on earth they are building up their economy so quickly? I'm watching that one Invictus posted and I can't understand how he is doing what he is doing.
from snippets of planets shown he seems to spam habitats and doesn't generally upgrade buildings, instead sticking with tier 1s, which might allow him to focus less on strategic resources and just spam more regular foundries and research complexes and such? I don't use habitats much but I think he mentioned they have a bonus to pop growth speed, which if you've got shitloads of habitats and rapid breeders and such, that'd probably allow you to compound on things really quickly. that and the amount of research he goes for means he can tech up ludicrously fast and get repeatables done in only a couple months each, meaning he needs less fleets to accomplish more, which is less upkeep overall, etc

I'm the sort of person who just builds all the districts and buildings on a planet soon as I'm able and then leaves it be for a long while until I do another go-around of planet management, and it works out great for me. I know it's not the most efficient but I tried the "build a district when there's no more jobs" thing and it was so much more tedious than the way I do it

edit: also ecumenopolises and ringworlds really let you snowball super quickly. if you get two ecumenopolises you can churn out basically all the alloys and consumer goods you'll need to get multiple research ringworlds going fast, with all the edicts and bonuses to megastructure build speed you can complete multiple ringworlds within a decade and a half or so.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 28, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

1. Take a science ship and move it to a system one jump away from a black hole.
2. Set the science ship to patrol to the black hole.
3. Science ship ping pongs between the black hole system and the other system until the Worm event is triggered. It's a flat % chance upon entering a black hole system.

Yea it usually only takes a few months. I've never seen it take longer than 3 years.

Captain Invictus posted:

lol that they actually put in an option at game generation to disable the Xeno-Compatibility ascension perk instead of just removing that loving garbage from the game entirely

I actually like it because it gives you an extra pick and point. Coupled with the Omnicodex you can get an extra solid trait. In a lot of my singleplayer games I try to min-max my species' traits. If you're really lucky you can create 16-trait super freak species, but only if you get the correct anomalies and don't mind crashing your game over and over if you play on ironman.

Schadenboner posted:

In fact, if we're talking Wachowski movies, I legit think Jupiter Ascending was a better movie than The Matrix, I'd re-watch that 100 times before The Matrix. Even with Hover-Rollerblading Werewolves the bureaucracy planet and the space battles and the Jupiter Gas Works (?) are just amazing visuals.

seek help immediately

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I kinda hate how you regularly end up spamming the repeatable science techs long before the crisis shows up.

It'd be cool if the crisis had some kind of link to the game state that causes it to show up, like the Contingency shows up once there are 1000 machine pops, or the Unbidden show up once there are 100 psi jump drives, and the Prethoryn Scourge show up once someone has 10 repeated techs, something like that.

Currently it too often happens that I'm waiting around twiddling my thumbs for the crisis to happen, and then because it has bad AI it's a disappointment anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah the tech trees could use a revamp somehow to make them more steady rather than TECH RUSH TECH RUSH REPEATABLES BY YEAR 4!!!

something like events and missions to develop the next tier. like how you can find that Blue Laser tech because you discover light refracting around inside a glacier or some poo poo and it gives you the tech idk, but as it is it's such a hands-off thing that it just feels so disconnected.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think the Command Center affects the Starbase itself. At the very least I remember the Fleet Power changing when I replaced a Hyperlane Registrar with one. However, that might be due to it affecting Defense Platforms.

May be misremembering though, it's been ages.
It does, if you check details on the starbase you can see the total bonuses to firerate and it goes up by the amount a command center provides when you build one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah the tech trees could use a revamp somehow to make them more steady rather than TECH RUSH TECH RUSH REPEATABLES BY YEAR 4!!!

something like events and missions to develop the next tier. like how you can find that Blue Laser tech because you discover light refracting around inside a glacier or some poo poo and it gives you the tech idk, but as it is it's such a hands-off thing that it just feels so disconnected.
There are a few events that give you free techs, I think two give you blue lasers (or rather the next tier of lasers) specifically.

I've said this before but the tech tile system really holds the game back. Being able to deep dive into a techline at the expense of other technologies is one of the most straightforward ways to have late game empire differentiation. With the current tile system you can either have everyone at t5 lasers by the end of the game or nobody at t5 lasers, realistically there's no real way you'll ever have one empire at t5 lasers but only t3 missiles, which really limits what you can do with either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

realistically there's no real way you'll ever have one empire at t5 lasers but only t3 missiles, which really limits what you can do with either.
Not completely correct as it's very much possible you will just randomly get rng screwed out of rolling certain techs, especially if more important options show up the few times it even appears. I've rolled up battleships before seeing t2 missiles.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

Not completely correct as it's very much possible you will just randomly get rng screwed out of rolling certain techs, especially if more important options show up the few times it even appears. I've rolled up battleships before seeing t2 missiles.
Not by end game, is my point. Once you hit repeatables it's weighted to clearing out old tech.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I never research fusion missiles though since I don't use missiles and don't want the two missile repeatables in the engineering deck. Though that's obviously beside the point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I research up through marauder missiles once everything else is done because it makes your lovely basic stations actually able to repel the annoying little mosquito fleets of 1-3 corvettes/a single cruiser the AI likes to send around to take outlier systems

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Black Pants posted:

Starnet does make every AI empire ridiculously aggressive though, to a fault. It's the kind of mod you play if you want every empire around you declaring war on you all the time. Even if they're pacifists.

They're not over-aggressive, per se, They just won't tolerate weakness. In stock you can ignore fleets entirely for the most part just by being friends with random empires you've met who for some reason you have +250 relations with and then sign a defensive pact with.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

seek help immediately

It's just unfortunate they had to try to slap a plot into an otherwise amazing Blender demo, is all?

:shrug:

I'm now going to just try to recreate Battlefleet Gothic: NSC, Guilli's Ship Mods, Guilli's Techs, Gigastructures.

:sherman:

E: "This poo poo" being, of course, my poor lovely laptop's poor lovely integrated graphics.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 28, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Poil posted:

It does, if you check details on the starbase you can see the total bonuses to firerate and it goes up by the amount a command center provides when you build one.

It actually affects the starbase, the defense platforms, and all empire ships in the system!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I set my empire to assimilation so everyone becomes psychic automatically and now my game freezes on 01/01 every year for 20-30 seconds, and every time I resettle a pop it flickers a bunch of icons in the corner of each pop portrait, I'm guessing this is all related to the assimilation thing because the implementation is terrible

Poil posted:

It actually affects the starbase, the defense platforms, and all empire ships in the system!
good to know, I'll make it a staple of my bastions then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Even the strike craft? :v:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Poil posted:

Even the strike craft? :v:

probably the rate they launch but not the craft themselves?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is the numistic shrine supposed to only let you have one per empire(or possibly per purchase from the caravan), and is bugged to let you have one per planet/habitat, or is it supposed to be that way? the way it's worded when you get it sounds like one per empire, and honestly it seems a bit ludicrously powerful as a one per planet building. two merchants and two unity jobs and no upkeep besides the priest upkeep itself for a single building slot is super good. plus it builds ridiculously fast compared to any other building.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Captain Invictus posted:

is the numistic shrine supposed to only let you have one per empire(or possibly per purchase from the caravan), and is bugged to let you have one per planet/habitat, or is it supposed to be that way? the way it's worded when you get it sounds like one per empire, and honestly it seems a bit ludicrously powerful as a one per planet building. two merchants and two unity jobs and no upkeep besides the priest upkeep itself for a single building slot is super good. plus it builds ridiculously fast compared to any other building.

It's the equivalent of the Waste Reprocessing Center that gestalt empires get, so I'd think it would be much more of a standard infrastructure type of thing instead of a wonder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, haven't used gestalt consciousness yet.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah it is really strong

Compare it with the galactic stock exchange which:
1) Costs a crystal to maintain
2) Gives 2 merchant jobs and no priests
3) Requires 50 pop and mid-late game tech

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean I put both on my planets because hey, more merchants more money, but yeah, it's definitely super good compared to the gse

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hahaha I won the galactic market with my capital! It had a weak claim and I thought gently caress it and paid for it anyway and I got it!

Is it just me or is it really creepy when a fanatic xenophile pacifist race uses the loving creepiest portraits? No I’m not going to open my borders to you and I’m not accepting any loving migration! You have teeth for eyes!

Do fallen empires ever open up their borders to other nations? How about marauders?
I’m asking because one side of my empire is “protected” that way. It’s given me incredible potential for expansion but how much do I need to protect it?

Affi fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Affi posted:

Is it just me or is it really creepy when a fanatic xenophile pacifist race uses the loving creepiest portraits? No I’m not going to open my borders to you and I’m not accepting any loving migration! You have teeth for eyes!
is this you by any chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo&hd=1

quote:

Do fallen empires ever open up their borders to other nations? How about marauders?
I’m asking because one side of my empire is “protected” that way. It’s given me incredible potential for expansion but how much do I need to protect it?
if you are a scion origin empire, nobody can close borders to you, and you cannot close borders to anyone else. if they ever fixed things in this game I'd expect them to fix that at some point, but lol

marauders will still immediately kill the poo poo out of you if you enter their space though, and that goes for anyone else who tries to go through their systems.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

silentsnack posted:

It's the equivalent of the Waste Reprocessing Center that gestalt empires get, so I'd think it would be much more of a standard infrastructure type of thing instead of a wonder.

I think that's meant to be one-per-empire and is bugged as well.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Invictus posted:

is this you by any chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo&hd=1

if you are a scion origin empire, nobody can close borders to you, and you cannot close borders to anyone else. if they ever fixed things in this game I'd expect them to fix that at some point, but lol

marauders will still immediately kill the poo poo out of you if you enter their space though, and that goes for anyone else who tries to go through their systems.

I just draw the line at “horror story” looks.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Affi posted:

Xenophile and Materialist empire will open borders if you do one of their requests (eg give them a pop for the species preserve, donate a researcher)
Enigmatic empire will randomly open/close borders to everyone
Spiritualist will very rarely open borders (you need something like head of xarquan relic)
Xenophobe will never open borders

All fallen empires will leave their territory to attack the Khan if he's in a neighboring system

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Affi posted:

I just draw the line at “horror story” looks.

I bet you'd cuddle right up to the Prikki-Ti because they're adorable, too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 29, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Affi posted:

Is it just me or is it really creepy when a fanatic xenophile pacifist race uses the loving creepiest portraits? No I’m not going to open my borders to you and I’m not accepting any loving migration! You have teeth for eyes

Actually it's hilarious imho

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah, haven't used gestalt consciousness yet.

You should, they're fun with determined exterminator.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet you'd cuddle right up to the Prikki-Ti because they're adorable, too.

always and forever

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

yikes! posted:

always and forever

I always get a good chuckle out of their first communication of, "SQUEE die xeno scum!!!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm liking NSC but I think the Exploration Cruiser (science ship with guns) is a neat idea which doesn't work within the Stellaris mechanics? It seems like, despite having an assload of guns, it doesn't actually fire them and it takes damage like a Science Ship and emergency FTL's almost immediately?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HelloSailorSign posted:

I always get a good chuckle out of their first communication of, "SQUEE die xeno scum!!!"
it's funny except they show up EVERY SINGLE TIME. it can get tiring, but they're also handy to have show up since you can just containment war them and have a second empire cluster halfway across the galaxy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wait so how do you even get the galactic market? it said propose resolutions or something and i could never find it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean it's definitely in there. The AI might already have proposed it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah an AI player did propose it, before i even got the prompt that it was something i could do :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

yeah an AI player did propose it, before i even got the prompt that it was something i could do :(

That's good. They saved you the influence cost. Just go vote for it