Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Ak Gara posted:

I managed to get the game to run, and updated all my mods but strange thing, some civics list no effect. Not all, only some. I've removed any civic changing mods I can think of but it still happens?

Presuming this only affects vanilla Civics, and not the ones that originate from mods? If so its definitely a mod order issue - basically you have two different mods which both have different versions of the same 00_civics.txt file - probably as they both make tweaks to vanilla civics.

You need to go into the launcher (or mod manager if you use one) and make sure the main Civics mod you want to use is pushed down to the bottom of the listed active mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is there any way to get xenophobic isolationists to open their borders. We're on good terms, but their closed borders are blocking off almost the entire rest of the galaxy from exploration.

EDIT:

Also I'm curious if there's a way to extend sector sizes. I have a few planets that don't appear to be close enough to one another to be included in a mutual sector, but I don't want a bunch of one planet sectors.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 27, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Make peace with them after a war, you'll have 10 years of mutually open borders. Humiliation war win or loss counts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Any truce will do that, including just breaking a non-aggression pact.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Any truce will do that, including just breaking a non-aggression pact.

I broke the non-aggression pact and their borders opened! I immediately set all three of my science ships to auto-explore.

And then I received the notification that I'd completed researching "speculative hyperspace breaching." Does that let the ships jump anywhere they want?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah you can right click a system and they'll go MIA and cruise over there, though it requires you to have had some level of sensor coverage of it at some point. It's not ultra useful.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah you can right click a system and they'll go MIA and cruise over there, though it requires you to have had some level of sensor coverage of it at some point. It's not ultra useful.
It's super useful with big maps when you run out of a hyperlane bubble and need your scientists relocated ASAP.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Grouchio posted:

It's super useful with big maps when you run out of a hyperlane bubble and need your scientists relocated ASAP.

I use it in the early game when a path is blocked by a space amoeba or similar.

Also you can instantly swap scientists between ships, so a quicker way to bring a scientist back home from distant exploration is to build a new science ship and transfer them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Active Sensor Link counts for 'some level of sensor coverage' required for breaching, so if you can trade for that with an empire in the part of the galaxy you want it can be useful.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I figured it out. I did that thing you have to do sometimes where you turn off half the mods, then turn those back on and turn off the opposite half, then half of those, then half of those etc to narrow it down.

It was a mod that gave me extra research alternatives.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311464648

quote:

This turns all the civics, traditions and researches that add a research alternative into a flat +5% research bonus.
This includes the following:

Civics:
Natural Neural Network
Static Research Analysis
Technocracy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there any way to get xenophobic isolationists to open their borders. We're on good terms, but their closed borders are blocking off almost the entire rest of the galaxy from exploration.

EDIT:

Also I'm curious if there's a way to extend sector sizes. I have a few planets that don't appear to be close enough to one another to be included in a mutual sector, but I don't want a bunch of one planet sectors.

Isolationists will never ever ever open their borders to anyone under any circumstances unless they're at war. I usually vassalize them on sight, that way they're forced to keep them open for me at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Age of Wonders: Planetfall's casus belli system really emphasises how overly complex and yet somehow overly simplistic Stellaris is

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Casus Belli is a dumb concept in any game. Here's how it should work.

1. Click WAR button.
2. Click YES or NO
3. War achieved.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Crises AI still not fixed, construction ships keep going back and forth between systems doing nothing. drat this game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Crises AI still not fixed, construction ships keep going back and forth between systems doing nothing. drat this game.

get Crisis Manager, it's a set of mods that lets you customize a bunch of things about the crises, most relevantly, the way in which they build their crisis anchors and such to occupy systems. you can have them automatically spawn when their military takes over a system so that their territory is not dependent on construction ship AI.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

And Tyler Too! posted:

1. Click WAR button.
2. Click YES or NO
3. War achieved.

I like the idea of Casus Belli - some societies give enough representation to their citizens that wantonly declaring war can lead to civil unrest and issues at home. If, however, you find some pretext before you declare war, then people are usually less upset by it.

The empires that can always declare war (fanatic purifiers, devouring swarm, etc.) have steep diplomatic penalties with other empires.

And then, of course, you can build yourself a goddamn death star and declare war on the galaxy at a whim.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And Tyler Too! posted:

1. Click WAR button.
2. Click YES or NO
3. War achieved.
Planetfall's war works like this, except you can accumulate casus belli points which affect how everyone else feels about it. For example, you can send your people into other empires' territories even without open borders, but doing so without open borders grants them casus belli points. Same for claiming sectors other people have claims over. So a similar system in stellaris would be that you can declare war on me whenever, but doing so without justification would quickly cause everyone to hate you, including your own people. But if I sent my science ship into your closed borders and started archaeologying then you could use this as a flimsy justification and most people would be only kind of mad at you, and some people who didn't like me anyway would cheer you on. If I settled right up to your borders and started sending military ships through your borders to attack people on the other side then the galaxy would applaud when you finally got mad enough to turn on me.

If we then declared peace then our casus bellis would be wiped clean... but either one of us would be free to start a new war at will with the same conditions AND a massive opinion penalty from breaking the truce.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splicer posted:

Planetfall's war works like this, except you can accumulate casus belli points which affect how everyone else feels about it. For example, you can send your people into other empires' territories even without open borders, but doing so without open borders grants them casus belli points. Same for claiming sectors other people have claims over. So a similar system in stellaris would be that you can declare war on me whenever, but doing so without justification would quickly cause everyone to hate you, including your own people. But if I sent my science ship into your closed borders and started archaeologying then you could use this as a flimsy justification and most people would be only kind of mad at you, and some people who didn't like me anyway would cheer you on. If I settled right up to your borders and started sending military ships through your borders to attack people on the other side then the galaxy would applaud when you finally got mad enough to turn on me.

If we then declared peace then our casus bellis would be wiped clean... but either one of us would be free to start a new war at will with the same conditions AND a massive opinion penalty from breaking the truce.

This would be a great modification of the current system. I think it would go well with a reworking of war score that works more organically by having unhappiness grow in your planets as wars drag on, modified by the things you laid out there. Your citizens will keep fighting forever if you're defending yourself against determined exterminators, but if you started a war with little casus belli and it's been going on for a long time, you eventually have to deal with your planets shutting down from protests and your sector governors start thinking about declaring independence.

You'd have to figure out what to do about AI and hivemind empires, but IMO that would work a lot better than being able to end wars an arbitrary number of days after reaching an arbitrary war score number.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

And Tyler Too! posted:

1. Click WAR button.
2. Click YES or NO
3. War achieved.

Very strongly disagree. CB works great in both EU4 and CK3, and both games would be much worse if they had the overly simplistic system you describe.

Stellaris's whole war system is a joke, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used the sensor link method to make the three little unexplored parts of the galaxy accessible for breaching and sent my three science ships off. I waited, and they didn't reappear. Then I noticed a new icon, listing the date and time each would emerge from hyperspace. One was going to take six months, another two years, and the last four years!

I feel like I owe my crews an apology, especially because there's maybe twelve systems left to explore.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was finally offered and finished research of level 2 sensors, at 2283. And now at 2300 I first saw level 2 thrusters available as an option. Sweet. Maybe I'll get lucky and can grab level 2 armor at any point now too.

edit
Level 2 armor at 2305. This is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen. Whoever came up with the randomized tech system should get slapped with a blorg plushie. :argh:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Have you considered producing zero minerals but 500 science per month within the first year or five? https://youtu.be/J3WOvXPvTM4

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Poil posted:

I was finally offered and finished research of level 2 sensors, at 2283. And now at 2300 I first saw level 2 thrusters available as an option. Sweet. Maybe I'll get lucky and can grab level 2 armor at any point now too.

edit
Level 2 armor at 2305. This is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen. Whoever came up with the randomized tech system should get slapped with a blorg plushie. :argh:

Last game I researched Crystal Mining...

in 2489.

After having synthesized them for over two centuries.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Last game I researched Crystal Mining...

in 2489.

After having synthesized them for over two centuries.
"So I threw a few rocks from the mines under a microscope and, haha, you're going to laugh right..."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Real talk tho, that is why I go for research alternatives a lot. It's a more powerful bonus than it first appears.

Especially if you research "dead end" techs like Fortresses or the building upgrades and stuff to remove options.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So where were the crystal deposits once you could see them?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bloodly posted:

So where were the crystal deposits once you could see them?

So far away from my end of the galaxy (on a huge map) that despite having a federation and vassalizing the entire south of the map I never saw any until then.

I'm fairly sure I discovered the first deposit during a War in Heaven, no idea where tho.

Speaking of which, screw War in Heavens.

Whoever decided that having a mapwide total war was a good idea?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
In my last big game I played, I first saw autocannon tech after unlocking titans. :negative:

I miss the old pirate spawns because they always dropped autocannons when killed.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 28, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Black Pants posted:

In my last big game I played, I first saw autocannon tech after unlocking titans. :negative:

I miss the old pirate spawns because they always dropped autocannons when killed.

Pirates usually drop tech you don't have like that.

You can sort of "manually" trigger them by not protecting your trade, too.

Also you can get titans surprisingly early, I think. It's just an uncommon tech card I believe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Yami Fenrir posted:

So far away from my end of the galaxy (on a huge map) that despite having a federation and vassalizing the entire south of the map I never saw any until then.

I'm fairly sure I discovered the first deposit during a War in Heaven, no idea where tho.

Speaking of which, screw War in Heavens.

Whoever decided that having a mapwide total war was a good idea?

The fanbase asking for something to do and the staff wanting to do Babylon 5.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Friendly reminder to install Back to the Drawing Board. It lets you reroll your tech options up to 10 times per category.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do AIs every attack hostiles in their territory, like pirates, amoebas, etc.? When I see them on the map they seem to stay there forever.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Note that some empires pacify amoebas instead of kill them, so they live quite happily together.

Sucks when they're in a Federation with you and your solo Fed ships are getting intercepted by their buddy amoebas.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Do AIs every attack hostiles in their territory, like pirates, amoebas, etc.? When I see them on the map they seem to stay there forever.

Yeah, they'll clean up anything hostile in their space and some empires will opt to pacify them. If the red ! is out of your sensor range it will stay there forever until you check up on it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dick Trauma posted:

I suspect the AI doesn't go after these unless they're at war. I've seen AI fleets sitting around doing nothing, then when war is declared they suddenly decide it's time to take care of those space crystals that have been there for a hundred years.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Speaking of warscores and diplo, was Federations the big DIPLOMACY dlc? Or are we still waiting on fixing the diplo system.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of warscores and diplo, was Federations the big DIPLOMACY dlc? Or are we still waiting on fixing the diplo system.

Yes and also yes. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It's a bit more complicated. I had AIs mop up everything they could reach after a certain point, but since the map you explored never updates if you don't visit again, you sometimes don't notice.

I had this kind of thing happen again and again, when I finally got around to clear up stuff like crystals my fleet often didn't find anything in the marked systems anymore, because the nearby AI had already cleared it.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Picked this up two days ago without DLC and I've played it a lot.

Three questions I can't really work out:

1) Is there a way to use diplomacy to do much of anything? My first game I've been running a mostly diplomacy focused empire and it just seems like I can't do anything. I've expanded my borders until I hit other people's but nobody will form a federation with me. The big millitary powers seem to be the ones with the most of everything else (voting power, highest score, best economy etc.). Is there a way to prosper that isn't tied up in some way to conquering other people?

2) I can't work out the reinforcement system. If I click to reinforce a millitary fleet that's been fighting, a load of little fleets pop up elsewhere? And maybe go join the main fleet? Or maybe they just stay where they are?

3) Tied to question one, but the galactic senate isn't seeming to do much - we vote, but the effect of this seems inconsequential nearly all the time and the two millitary powers just steamroll everyone else. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Captain_Indigo posted:

Picked this up two days ago without DLC and I've played it a lot.

Three questions I can't really work out:

1) Is there a way to use diplomacy to do much of anything? My first game I've been running a mostly diplomacy focused empire and it just seems like I can't do anything. I've expanded my borders until I hit other people's but nobody will form a federation with me. The big millitary powers seem to be the ones with the most of everything else (voting power, highest score, best economy etc.). Is there a way to prosper that isn't tied up in some way to conquering other people?

2) I can't work out the reinforcement system. If I click to reinforce a millitary fleet that's been fighting, a load of little fleets pop up elsewhere? And maybe go join the main fleet? Or maybe they just stay where they are?

3) Tied to question one, but the galactic senate isn't seeming to do much - we vote, but the effect of this seems inconsequential nearly all the time and the two millitary powers just steamroll everyone else. Am I missing something?

1) Use your Envoys. You can make them like you a lot more. Also, Rival the people your friends hate, as well as make defensive pacts with them. Trust will tick up, which is a large bonus towards forming federations. Also, you can play tall pretty well these days - make sure to make use of specialized planets, as well as habitats (if you build one over a mineral/energy/research/rare resource deposit, you will get special district types/deposits on the habitat, allowing you to get much more out of the stuff than before) and megastructures. Fortress Habitats in particular are a great way to expand your fleet cap.

2). Reinforcement fleets will automatically travel to your main fleet as soon as they're built, usually individually. If they get intercepted/run into space fauna, they usually get lost and have to be manually sent back tho - they usually die or EVAC back to your territory)

3) You can use favors to influence the vote, but the main way to influence the senate is by just becoming stronger than everyone else. The beginning resolutions do little but people like them, whereas the later resolutions are more game changing but are difficult to push through.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 29, 2020