Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A great Khan appeared on the opposite side of the galaxy, and I expected to get slaughtered when he took over a womhole leading right into my space, but nothing happened. I tried to invade him and it just showed a red x saying he'd closed borders with me. Lame.

Can you use wormholes to invade empires you're officially at war with, or do you get the same message?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I went with the evolutionary master ascension perk and it gave me 3 trait points, but no new spaces for traits and I can't remove existing ones. Can I do anything with these points?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You unlock the "Genetic Resequencing" tech which has to be researched first, but it gives you both that and unlocks all the traits that make the Evolution path worthwhile, including a more powerful version of the Servile trait and a trait that makes livestock species even tastier.

E: "That" being the ability to remove teal traits and add red ones.

Thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Goddamn my allies suck.
The galaxy is being invaded by the scourge who have 100k fleets all about. My main fleet is 40k and my allies keep setting all their fleets to follow it so we have a 200k+ combined fleet. Twice in a row I've sent my main fleet to attack one of the scourge's only for all my allies to nope right out of there. :mad:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I spawned near a ringworld fallen empire. They only claim two systems, with a third, ruined ringworld system currently sitting unclaimed by anyone.

Will claiming this system for myself piss them off?
Is this a particularly valuable system anyway?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Can end game crises actually destroy everyone if you set it to 5x strength or is their expansion scripted to halt at some point?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Crises can and will kill everything in the galaxy.

Neat. Gonna try a 5x crisis on for size.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just started playing with megacorp.

How does everyone deal with sprawl? I hit the base limit of 30 very quickly so changed my civics and started down the 'expansion' tradition tree to bump it up to 70, but is it less of a big deal than it seems and everyone just puts up with being massively over their limits?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Neat, thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The scourge don't seem to infest planets in my game. I saw them invade one planet and win, but after that the population just carries on unpurged, and the invasion fleet stays in orbit doing nothing. Is that a bug? I'm about 20 years into the scourge event and no planets have been infested, though a bunch are deep within the scourge's territory.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is War in Heaven a battle to the death?
It's been going on for over 100 years and one of the awakened empires is almost consumed by the Scourge, but they still just have 10% war exhaustion. For some reason, some planets get a population purge of 35%/mo and others just 5%, so it takes forever.

I'm the leader of the non-aligned faction so I'm at war with basically everything. The scourge can't eat these jerks fast enough.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

When you become the third faction in a War In Heaven, are you the same priority target as each awakened empire, or are you somehow considered a "lesser" threat? The only time War In Heaven pops I'm somehow right next to one of the empires involved and feel like I absolutely have to submit to them or get my rear end shredded in twain.

I was nowhere near either of them, but most of my federation "allies" immediately deserted me to join one of them. By the time I had to deal with them directly, I was in a stronger position.
As I'm posting, the awakened empire that is still powerful just destroyed 3 habitable planets (inc one of mine), so between them and the scourge, we're going to have a pretty barren galaxy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Scourge have spawned and after 10 years have done nothing. They haven't expanded beyond the first four systems and haven't even invaded the inhabited planets in those systems.
Known bug? This is very disappointing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I supported someone's independence from the Khanate and now the Khan's dead I don't seem able to revoke that. Is that a known bug?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Has the successor to the Khanate appeared yet? Various versions of those can still hold vassals, and the game might not let you revoke until the successor state is in place.

Appeared and got quickly wiped out

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of my federation allies proposed going to war against that guy and the game let me so problem solved :)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I see you can set the end game crisis to 25x strength - that's new right, used to be max 5x?
Has anyone tried it at that level?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm playing as the Necroids and I've not done an evil run before. I've invaded two primitive worlds (this is how they expand) and they're both sitting at 0% stability. I've tried building holotheatres, declaring martial law and landing troops, but they won't budge off 0% and there are slave uprising warning messages.

Any other ways to keep order in the early game?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

You need to resettle some of your founder pops onto the planet to take over the ruler jobs especially. That stability issue is caused by the political weight of the pops, which are all unhappy because you conquered them.

Having your own, happy pops there balances that out.

Ah thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

On my Necroid run, I'm getting warnings that I'm running low on subjects to convert. Are there any negative effects for having a Chamber of Elevation and no viable pops on a planet?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Trip report:
Playing as an evil empire for the fist time as the Pasharti Absorbers. Things were going well. I was picking off my weakling neighbours one by one.
Then an awakened empire says "we're declaring war bc you're a huge bastard :mad:"

Eh, I've fought awakened empires before. Long war of attrition, I'll lose some territory and gain it back later.

Say, these guys are expanding rather quickly...

Oh god

They're expanding on every front simultaneously. There are 100k fleets that outnumber my whole navy, but also hundreds of 3k fleets everywhere. What can you even do to counter that?

We're only 6 years into the war at this point

Oh well. :rip:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Staltran posted:

You're bleeding crazy amounts of research/unity to empire sprawl in all of those pictures. Assuming you hadn't already lost a bureaucrat planet in the first screenshot, that's really bad. Past something like 300 empire sprawl you really need to keep your admin cap above sprawl. Being over cap by 600+ points like in the first screenshot gives you (more than) +240% tech cost, which is basically equivalent to -58.33% science. Getting 60 more bureaucrats (about 4% of your population) would more than double your research rate. You could almost certainly just replace research labs with admin offices and come out ahead. Basically you want 0 bureaucrats early game (you should probably disable the starting admin office before unpausing), and enough to keep your admin cap above sprawl later on (somewhere between 250-400 sprawl I think?). It's really not very intuitive.

Yeah this was the first time I'd played as a big sprawling empire since they introduced the admin mechanic. I was building what felt like a huge amount of admin centres, but it wasn't nearly enough. If I do it again, I suppose I need to go bureaucracy crazy and conquer the galaxy as the Vogons.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I was going down the path of Become the Crisis when a regular crisis triggered. Can I still complete that path?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do bio-trophies do anything other than be unemployed and lower planetry stability?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks guys, my pet humans are happy and I'm rolling in unity

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I lost my game. First time I've lost as opposed to giving up because I was doing badly.
I was in the middle of a war and doing ok and suddenly I got a game over screen. I was a vassal and I suppose my overlord must have subsumed my empire because my territory suddenly became theirs, but I had no warning or anything. Lame.

I really dislike how the game just ends so anticlimactically, win or lose. Give me an ending cinematic and a stats screen like civ games do at least.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

creamcorn posted:

how'd you get vassalized? not trying to be snarky, i just have never had it happen in all my games since launch lol

By being bad at the game and playing on a higher difficulty than normal. I fell so far behind that a kindly AI offered protectorate status, which caused me to whiz through the tech tree and get upgraded to vassal. My overloard declared a couple of wars that I gained a lot of territory from but they were being overrun. I was spending all my time trying to liberate their systems, thinking "OK I've outgrown you, going to declare independence soon" when I got the game over screen.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I see that "Politics" is now a tradition option for dealing with the Galactic Council.
Before now, I've mostly ignored the council. It didn't seem very important, certainly not to the extent I'd use up tradition points on it. Has that changed or have I been playing badly all along?

How is the stealth mechanic? The AI has never been so great that I cared if they knew where my fleets were but struggling to find where their fleets are sounds more annoying than fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've not used spies very much in previous games. Is it possible to break up rival federations with smear campaigns? I'm playing Broken Shackles and need to isolate MSI if I'm to have a chance of getting total revenge