Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've spent the last few hours making sixteen empires instead of doing a 2.0 run.

I'm not sure where my limit is but I'm starting to run out of unique ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
https://imgur.com/a/8f7hu

I wanted to disable default empires because I never used them, so in their place I decided to make 25 custom empires, which could all potentially spawn in my next run. I decided to share in case anyone wants some inspiration for their galactic neighborhood.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Xenaero posted:

https://imgur.com/a/8f7hu

I wanted to disable default empires because I never used them, so in their place I decided to make 25 custom empires, which could all potentially spawn in my next run. I decided to share in case anyone wants some inspiration for their galactic neighborhood.

I didn't know how to share the empires at the time, but if anyone wants any of them, I've dumped my entire user_empire_designs.txt here: https://pastebin.com/BZUj2exE so enjoy! For those of you who are organizational freaks, you will greatly appreciate my ordering them by government authority.

Although now I got my sights set on making a empire for every possible government type, I don't know if I'll actually follow through as of yet, since I'd have to double my count and that is a lot to come up with.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
How do I force a custom race to have the ability to spawn as a fallen empire INSTEAD of a random generation? Is that possible? Is that what "spawn_as_fallen" is for in user_empire_designs.txt? Or is that only a random shot when telling it yes, instead of the default no?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Trying to decide how to expand on my empire list, there's quite a few government types that are so close together they might as well be duplicates. Hmm...

I gotta add 11 more, to bring it to 36, in case I want to do some insane run of a huge galaxy with 30 ai empires and 5 fallen empires.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh wow so I spent a good chunk of time making colors and borders not be too similar between all my 32 empires, and I just realized that marauders have dark colors, which is a good chunk of my own empires.

God damnit. I hate how you can't really use gray as a border unless your main color is already black, and some mixes of colors don't make any sense. Rather limiting.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Did they fix the thing from pre 2.0 where if you get Star Charts in a trade, the anomalies and researchies were unavailable?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GorfZaplen posted:

Star charts are gone entirely, instead you trade for communications with other empires

Oh my goodness. I haven't yet found another empire for my Radishes to even talk to yet since I'm still super early game but the anomalies brought that to mind. Kinda missed getting intel from all over the galaxy if I threw in some sweeteners.

I may have miscalculated by trying out Lifeseeded on top of all these other changes 2.0 brought in. We'll see how it works out. I kinda love the outposts and PARALLEL BUILDING SHIPYARDS (gone are the days of 8 hotkeys for starbases). So far I'm very cool with hyperlanes being forced, I can (so far) easily plot choke points and setups if I get stormed.

Noticed that Strongholds provide defensive armies, so I assume you can't recruit and stack a million defensive armies anymore?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gyshall posted:

Life Seeded owns bones and fits my playstyle 100%, thanks wiz.

Life Seeded + Venerable is a flippin nuts combo.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't think I fully understand the new war system. I was bringing the fanatic purifiers to their knees when suddenly the war was over. I was two planets away from completely neutralizing them from the galaxy. Did war exhaustion cause this?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

...pirates as a pseudo-faction depending on your empire ethics?

secretly they suborn one of your outposts or starbases....

Crushing rebellions to pass the time. Tarkin would be proud.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
drat some workshop mods are freakin nutso

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Whoa.

The whole Loop/Worm storyline is a wild fuckin' ride.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kinda wish there was a mode where you could play as a Fallen Empire just as all these young upstarts got powerful and you gotta TAKE EM OUT

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Dang you'd figure there'd be some extra benefit to invading and controlling or using a colossus on an enemy homeworld. Some morale thing.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is the Enigmatic Fortress event just supposed to chill there for a hundred years?

I mean, it is living up to the name.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Slightly irritated about a couple wartime things.

I've eliminated every ship this empire has with the subjugation war goal, and have every one of their systems completely occupied, and we're sitting at 40% war exhaustion vs my 27%. They can't do anything, why isn't it auto victory?

With fallen empires, I can't seem to get a casus belli on them that involves just deleting them. They make treaties after they get humiliated and then they're back to declaring war. It won't let me claim their systems so I can just straight up conquer them.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the only war goal was Humiliate. I suppose I could use a Colossus and just wipe them out during wartime.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm the polar opposite, give me that militarist advisor any day

"The cravens have destroyed one of our mining stations!"

Me: ERASE THEM

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kinda wish you could type in a custom hyperlane density. Large 0.75x is pretty drat constricting. 1x doesn't have enough chokepoints.

On a side note, I've (temporarily) abandoned my set of 30+ custom empires populating the galaxy for every run and am doing the polar opposite: random for me and all AIs. It's refreshing!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I might have missed it during the stream but does this mean that automatic exploration is out?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arrath posted:

Why would it be? Per that tweet, science ships can see several jumps beyond their position so should be able to automate just fine.

Oh I didn't pay enough attention to the icons. They shifted it over and put the new Experimental Nav icon where it used to be.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My fleets are doing some weird poo poo

Every so often the reinforcements get screwed up and I gotta split the classes and recombine them to start functioning properly again, or else I build like, an entirely new fleet way over my cap. Can't figure that one out.

The other one is just as puzzling. I have two fleets chilling in a starbase system and clicking upgrade wants to send one to some godforsaken level 1 starbase out in the edge of my territory instead of either the one it's about 1 inch from or a neighboring star system's starbase. [edit: its home is set as my capital system starbase btw]

What is causing this nonsense?

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 24, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ah gateways might have been the problem there maybe, because I have been renovating at this stage. You'd think that'd make it easier for their pathing.

As for the first, yes auto-best is on. Fleet manager has trouble tracking auto-best fleet makeups? That seems odd for default behavior.

These both seem like pretty obvious errors (although they might not be an easy fix...), I imagine Paradox is aware of them?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I had 3 titans spread out across all 3 of my fleets when I engaged a FE, whose big fleet had a Titan. No achievement. Very sad.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man the game is pretty good in basically making you build Gateways around your significantly large territory now that Jump Drive was mostly neutered. Not a bad tradeoff. Do wish I could build more than one at a time though.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

Jump Drive is still extremely powerful, arguably moreso now. Yeah it makes your fleets temporarily slower and weaker, but being able to take a doomstack of minidoomstacks and drop them right on top of, say, a secondary enemy fleet that's heading towards reinforcing an enemy's other fleet, you can really gently caress their poo poo up. Also, keeping transport fleets in a safe location until it's time to invade, then jump them right into the system. Or jumping science ships across great galactic divides in the hyperlane system.

Okay, I admit this confused me greatly and then I googled it and found out there's a Jump special order that I've completely missed this ENTIRE time.

Good lord. I've not even been using it. I assumed they just removed the functionality altogether in favor of shorter recharge for hyperlane warps when that change hit.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Considering going the full mile and making a unique empire with every single possible government type. Is it worth it? Probably not.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pre-patch: Not much of a problem to rout these upstarts here...

Post-patch: Open fire, blast you all, open fire!!!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Hoo buddy, coming up with unique names for 50+ civilizations is a pain without dipping into bizarre syllable combinations.

Hard part's over though, now to actually make 'em.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

They were as delicious as they were cute as they were angry.

:stare:

This would make great flavor text if they end up adding recent events as part of diplomatic communications. Like, devouring swarms could say that if they just won a war with a neighbor. That would be a hell of an opener.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Shoot, I was thinking of publishing my 50+ empires on the workshop but then I realized I've probably made it incompatible with people who don't own a lot of DLC

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

What in the pulsar heck are THESE odds?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The AI does seem to be better at rolling out competent defenses.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really kinda wish the ship designer gave me the stats before I slotted the equipments in the spots.

Because I'm lazy.

My whine aside, dumb down some basic tips for me to build a decent fleet or what I should gear towards in the rock/paper/scissors style. Should I do some cannons on a corvette, lasers on destroyers, shields/armor mixture on all? I'm feeling a little lost trying to design my own fleets.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 7, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

Add about 25% PD ships for safety.

PD = Point Defense? Is point defense really useful in a slugfest? I was thinking just equipping all offensive stuff up on the top modules and going for more evasion with components.

Really good tips though, thanks! I'm sure for AI engagements I won't have much trouble even as I ratchet up difficulty but this is a new aspect that's fun to explore.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 8, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hey guys, don't panic. It was only one world.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I might have loving torpedoed myself.

Can enemies who own a gateway travel to repaired gateways you own when you're at war?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fortresses providing FTL inhibitors is straight up horseshit by the way. Good luck destroying the tile, go roll the dice!

Especially when offensive army activity provides serious war exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Hi, Stellaris dev folk, please let us reinforce invasion armies like you can with your armadas w/ the fleet management screen.

Clicking on each planet to train armies and then having to go back and shift click them all to group em is super tedious.