Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, I've been away from the game since Utopia and 1.6, I had a good grip on the gameplay back then and played quite a bit but then I was attracted by newer, shinier games and forgot all about Stellaris.

Now I want to come back, and I guess I'm in for a world of pain if I just jump in with the old habits, right? Can anyone make a short summary of what's changed and major pitfalls to avoid / new strategies to follow for a returning player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The econ has been tightened the gently caress up, instead of swimming in energy and minerals you will be hurting for them much of the game. Even when you have a lot of these resources every ship built will impact your energy and minerals pretty significantly, building to your fleet cap is quite expensive. You can improve your space with Starbases, its a lot like EU4 forts. Unity and Science are no longer trivial resources and Apocalypse added some cool edicts for lategame unity spending. It's a pretty interesting game now with a bunch of choices to make and opportunity costs. War and claims have been much improved, taking territory with outposts is way better. Fleets can follow each other effectively and that makes army transports less of a nightmare.

Thanks, sounds good enough to get me started. So game is hyperlane-only and there are the equivalent of EU4 forts, huh? That'll make warfare ... interesting, finally.

Also you still have to micromanage transporting and landing armies on planets to occupy them? I remember that sucking a lot, even ignoring the fact that defenseless transports were a pain to manage. I'd have guessed that the game getting overhauled would mean a saner invasion / ground combat system...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

How do I use the fleet manager? I tried but I just make a huge mess, help :ohdear:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sloober posted:

you preplan your fleets by adding designs to a fleet and setting numbers, so when you lose any in fights you can click 'reinforce' and it'll bring itself back up to the designed composition automatically

That part I got but for some reason it keeps splitting ship types for no apparent reason? Even if they're the same design.. like I have three groups of cruisers, that say 2/2 4/6 and 0/2 or something like that, when that should be just one 6/10 group if I understand it correctly (assuming they're all the same design and upgraded, which they are as far as I can tell)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tomn posted:

Otherwise, it might be time for a restart - Paradox games are usually much more about playing until you get bored or see a good stopping point rather than playing to a victory condition.

This. The game offers so many different play styles (especially with dlc) that if you feel stuck, just restart and try out different things.

Of course it helps to set a goal for yourself, since the official end states are pretty uninteresting.

Right now I have a spiritual federation of 3 empires that spans half the galaxy, there's an awakened xenophile fallen empire that forced the other two main empires to be at peace with everyone else so it's become quite boring, every war is a slugfest between me and the FE while the rest of the galaxy watches. I am going to restart as a machine consciousness or hive mind and devour everything :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I give no poo poo about taking an enemy's planet, should I be bombing it into oblivion to damage them as much as possible? I still don't have a Colossus to blow it up outright but I'm working on that :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

About the mod ST: new horizons.. I tried it out even if I don't know anything about star trek, finding it fun but the humans kinda suck. What should I be playing as? Of the major races the romulans seem interesting but I am not sure..

Also exploring or generally moving around feels sluggish, is that normal? It seems to take forever to even see where the colonizable planets are

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Epicurius posted:

Regarding the humans, don't give up on them. While they do sort of sick at the beginning, if you manage to successfully complete an event chain and ally with your neighbors, fun stuff will start happening, and you get access to what might well be the most powerful special mechanic in the game.

But otherwise, the Romulus are a fun choice, or for more of a challenge, the Klingons. The Dominion and Borg are also fun, but they require a different style of play.

Thanks for the input. I have made some poor choices (presumably? It doesn't seem there is enough info to make good choices.. maybe it's just my lack of Star trek knowledge) in an event chain, and have a sort of crisis/threat coming at Earth and it just trampled over my lovely early game fleet obliterating it, so I should probably be restarting anyways :v:

Will give the humans another try, saving the romulans for later

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RedSnapper posted:

I have them as my next door neighbours in that same run and they got the most absurd systems layout:

e: A closeup from much earlier:

Wait, are they called Kitten Ancients? :3:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RedSnapper posted:

What's the highest number of ethics you've seen on an empire?
Because I've just met fanatic egalitarian, fanatic xenophobe, militaristic, materialists. That adds up to two entire civilizations :psyduck:

"Everybody is totally equal and must have the same rights, except for those filthy ungodly alien scum! Also we love science and progress, but we also love explosions and killing people!" :confuoot:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Non native English speaker here and I don't care, everybody should know English by now.. but hey I would love it if more paradox games were localized, they're not easy to soldier through in a different language than your own that you don't know very well, and I know plenty of people who would play them if they were translated.. I guess italians just don't spend enough in videogames to warrant it :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Black Pants posted:

I wish I could get the horizon signal. :(

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am having a pretty great game. Unlike most of my starts I went authoritarian, militarist and materialist; my main race is industrious and I pretty much poo poo out minerals, I have a pretty big chunk of space for myself that is connected to other empires by only 2 choke points that I fortified heavily. I am pretty much untouchable after carving a big chunk off my nearest neighbor which granted me two more species: a servile very strong one which is awesome for my slavering ways, and another which is thrifty solving a bunch of my energy problems.

To my north there's a precarious "friend" which I have a NAP with, south there's a huge machine consciousness empire that is hated by everyone and I can total war them. They're equivalent to me, but only because my fleet is not at cap, I am about 120/200 so I think I can crush them as soon as I build a few more ships :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well, building some gateways around my empire made the game 100% more enjoyable. Now I can actually react to threats in a timely manner! I really feel travel is a tad too slow, especially in your own turf.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just make their silly planet go kaboom. A planet cracker is the solution to most problems as I recently discovered :v: Total war has never been so much fun!

Edit: I almost killed the contingency, I just have to destroy their last planet (and grab the ringworlds that the defenders guys who spawned should leave behind once that's done, I already positioned myself to take advantage of that) then the Galaxy goes back to hating me for being a huge warmongering assshole; I own half the Galaxy, have claims on like another third, at this point even the awakened fallen empire is inferior to me, and every other normal race is straight up pathetic. Did I just... win my first game? :ohdear:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 17, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok I am done with my current game. Had the contingency as end game crisis, and would like to avoid it the next time... Is there a mod or some other way to ensure I get one of the others?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Aethernet posted:

Kill all robots.

Gladly! Fanatic spiritualists it is.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Splicer posted:

Sunset Invasions. You play time travelling dimension hopping Aztecs invading every Paradox IP. With each new universe the game accumulates increasingly incompatible game mechanics until the para-verse becomes dangerously unstable. As universes fall one by one you assemble a party of historical figures, vampires, battlemechs, and Blorg to fight their way across countless crumbling dimensions in search of Paradox Prime, to forge The One True Game that can heal their worlds. As you reach the last Paradox Portal the final survivor hurls a desperate message across time and space. Across a thousand message boards appears a single cryptic message, the desperate last breath of an infinity of collapsing civilisations.

"Vicky 3 when"

I'd pay full price for that. Twice.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK, so I've been back to the game after a looong time (on 2.2.4 beta branch now), and how do I modify sectors? The game decided basically to put every planet in its own sector, so I have like 10 sectors now for a total of 14 planets, and it is a huge mess to manage.

Please tell me there is a way and it's not "AI decides how to make sectors, suck it up"... the normal situation in my case would be to have 2-3 sectors with 3-4 planets each and automate construction, while keeping my 4-5 or so core worlds to upgrade myself because I do want to decide how to grow some planets, but really can't be arsed to upgrade 15+ planets manually

This is worse than tiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Splicer posted:

When you colonise a planet that's not in a sector it claims everything up to three jumps away as part of its sector. This doesn't chain.

Yyyyeeeaaahhh

This is... I mean, why? The way sector planning used to work made perfect sense! And I think it used the same moving parts as the claim interface which as far as I know is still in (didn't actually make a claim yet, being surrounded by purifiers and hive minds I didn't need to :v: ), so... why would I *not* be able to rearrange sectors or add systems / planets to an existing sector? :confused: