Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
In my latest game I've come up against the Contingency:

I started off as an Intelligent Research Link (cheap leaders / increased leader level cap) machine intelligence race called the Robot Boys, who are custom made luxurious robots who have good memory mods. It was a slow but fairly normal start, a few border skirmishes, however after investing a few tradition points I only realised I couldn't crate vassals and tributaries because of an annoying machine intelligence bug. So instead I started a slow conquest war, eating up some of my neighbours planets.

Not being one of the 3 (Exterminators, Borg, Servitors), I didn't have many options to deal with the conquered pops - The default option is to keep people as batteries (+6 energy, although they need to be happy to make any energy credits), but they aren't very happy about being in that state, and it takes a lot of influence to keep them under control. So I decided to purge them, set them as undesirables, and after about 10 years they all died at once, leaving me with a -800 genocide ticker.

A whole bunch of federations were formed, I was under constant attack from two groups, but I managed to hold my poo poo together pretty well. Unfortunately I was the only machine race in the galaxy and had no friends, everyone cared very deeply about organic genocide at all. A Khan was born and lasted about 10 years until they got crushed by the various federations.

In the middle of it all the Contingency popped up, a whole shitload of 160k fleets murdered everything really quickly. My 2 big fleets were a decent 40k each and didn't stand a chance. Luckily they didn't spawn in my territory, so I had a little buffer between me and impending doom. The Cybrex defence system popped up pretty much straight away and did (from what I could see) literally jack all.

100 years later the Cybrex and the sole Jingoistic Reclaimer were destroyed by the Contingency.

200 years later after repeated attacks I took out their first 400k defence fleet at one of their AI nodes.

100 years later I'm building up to launching an attack on another of their core systems, I have to get through this first:

(at their height they owned all of the red circled area)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Ms Adequate posted:

Just some soft Rowdy Robot Boys.

(What year are you on now? A 400-year war against the Contingency is pretty big time :staredog:)

It's currently 2813 and I've finally taken out their 4th hub. Their final Nexus is buried deep in Contingency space and I've done an Ender's Game dive right through the middle to take it out and

whlep

e; nevermind, I still murdered it, even with 1/2 the fleet

Goffer fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 28, 2018

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I've gone pure penetration, disruptors and arc emitters split on fleets of Corvettes and Battleships. I found that looking at the charts that torpedos did great damage to armour, but did next to no damage to the hull itself (compared to the penetrating weapons), so it seemed like it was a bit of wasted effort on their part.

It all worked out in the end.

Took defender of the galaxy as my 7th? perk.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Hungry posted:

The wiki also lies about the best fleet composition to take out the Dimensional Horror, because it just ate 50k worth of delicious mollusc people ships.

Delicious should be a negative racial trait that opens up a new population control option.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Eltoasto posted:

It's an amazing travel method, just don't jump right into combat.

It's great for getting armies, science, and construction ships into play quickly.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

pmchem posted:

Combat doesn't appear to have area effect weapons?

Space nukes with AOE would solve some people's corvette swarm problems real fast.

Traditional AOE doesn’t work in space very well - it’s a vacuum so shockwaves basically don’t have any effect. Explosions, energy pulses and shrapnel lose intensity really quickly in a 3D space with a little distance and would waste 99% of their efficiency.

Something like a larger missile loaded with heaps of close range swarmer missiles, or loaded with one-shot overcharged PD lasers might sort of work?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

pmchem posted:

Well, for one thing, consider the EMP effect as your AOE. Certainly that's a thing in space. Drops off with distance but what AOE effect doesn't in reality? Shrapnel would be better in space than in atmosphere because you'd lose less KE to air resistance / drag. It's vidya games, they have AOE.

There's no EMP, that's caused by gamma radiation and it's interaction with the atmosphere . A nuke in space is basically just light and radiation, both things that ships already have ample protection from, because space is already full of radiation.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Ice Fist posted:

- Really happy they included the fleet manager. Makes things pretty easy to maintain but I think I ran into some bugs with that too. Not sure the retrofit button works at all, unless I was doing something wrong. At some point when I got jump drives I noticed that none of my ships were updating to them even though the designs auto updated. The battleships were my fault because I forgot to check auto-update, but my corvettes and destroyers refused to upgrade to jump drives. I had to trick the fleet manager into upgraded them by forcing it to think an update had occurred by removing and re-adding a component then saving.

The jump drive thing happened to me as well - from what I found, the jump drive uses extra power, in some cases pushing the ship over its power cutoff, and so making it an invalid ship design. The auto-upgrade doesn’t realise this for some reason and just sort of breaks the template until you go in and change a shield to an armour or something.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Shadowlyger posted:

Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators, and Rogue Servitors are all civics that must be chosen at the start of a game. You cannot pick them up mid-game.

If you're playing a Machine AI without one of these traits, you're basically playing the AI from the Matrix - hooking up all captured pops to the power grid and harvesting them for energy. It's a gentler start as no-one automatically hates you, you can communicate and form alliances with biological races, etc. At some stage your technology will exceed the 6 power captured pops generate, and at that point you change the racial templates to purge, chemical processing. It's genocide and everyone will hate you but whatever, you can still form an alliance with all the determined exterminators and assimilators out there, they don't care about it so much.

Alternatively, if you hold out long enough you can turn all your worlds into machine worlds, all the bio pops die off and you it doesn't count as genocide. That way you can keep your fleshy allies around.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Natural 20 posted:

So yeah, I've had the contingency activate and I'm a little confused.

I've got fleet capacity 400 or so, I'm easily the most powerful player in the game but the biggest fleet I can reasonably field comes out to what? 100k? Running massive deficits because my synthetic production has been destroyed.

The Contingency fleet sitting on its world is 250k easy. If I could actually get all the goddamn federation members to play ball and just let me control their fleets I could probably blow it up, but there's no real cooperation and I've honestly no idea of what to do. Do I just sit in a spot trying to choke out the reinforcement fleets and hope to god that I don't run out of resources?

Natural 20 posted:

My issue is I've no idea of how I'm going to be able to build the fleet power to do it.

I maxed out every tech tree like a hundred years before they activated.

Natural 20 posted:

I never needed anything more! I smashed everyone who came against me to dust on a fleet of 300 power. The only people who could equal me were the fallen empires.

Oh I also started Life Seeded so I only have 13 worlds that are colonised.

Congrats, you created the embodiment of a fallen empire, with exactly the same endgame limitations. You need to awaken.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

JerikTelorian posted:

Sectors are perilously unfun. I sorta understand their purpose, but they mostly feel like a way to put extra clicks between me and building poo poo on my planets. I'm also ready to drop the tile system, so hopefully when Wiz deals with the tiles sectors will either be better, or can be turned into something more interesting.

Sectors become good when the final crisis hits and you need that 150k in minerals they've been saving up.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dreissi posted:

My read on this was always that the unrest on a planet being so high means that you don’t actually have control of the situation on the ground (think full-out insurgency).

High unrest happens with Machine Empires too when you've got people hooked up as batteries - It's basically Neo and his gang trying to break free of the system - if you're exterminating them it's the underground resistance fighting back.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Once you get to that level of mid game / endgame macro, make everything sectors, allow colonies, just forget about it and let it happen - there are more important things to worry about.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Xenaero posted:

How do ya'll build your patrols? It seems safe for a long time to just have a couple corvettes patrol between routes, doesn't this completely trivialize piracy?

Depends how much trade you have going through the systems - Late mid game I have to have a 5k fleet permanently sitting on an uncapped system to stop piracy, a 2k fleet that was patrolling did nothing to stop the numbers going up.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

axeil posted:

I'm playing as GEICO from the goon species pack and really enjoying it. I make obscene amounts of money. My navy is weak but who cares when you can just bribe everyone into liking you? My research rate is also nuts. Mid game and everything takes only 8 months instead of the 24-30 I'm used to. It's leaving everyone in the dust tech wise.

Any tips on how to build up to 1000 trade value? With being a megacorp I can't expand too much without the admin cap getting really painful, I already had to release one sector as a subsidiary.

I downloaded the Goon pack a while ago, but for a while really noticed the difference - Recently though I figured out that if I select one of the races to play with, then I can save it and it 'fixes' as a race I can toggle on as a forced spawn race - I did it with the ones that looked interesting and now the galaxy is populated with a lot more colourful species each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

prefect posted:

Citizens ought to be able to find a planet with some available space without requiring the immortal god-emperor to get personally involved. :doom:

Aren't overpopulated, crime filled, poorly managed hive worlds like, the staple of sci-fi fantasy worlds? Seems a bit of a easy way out to just expect them to move themselves. From a ingame perspective, it costs 100 energy credits to move a pop, is an unemployed homeless pop going to be able to raise and save that amount?

Maybe an expensive energy credit % edict it might be alright to solve the problem.