Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I played a tremendous amount of Eu4 so a while back decided to jump into Stellaris and grab most of the DLC. I think the only one i'm missing is the robot one.

After 100+ hours of pissing about in the early game and beating up on the AI, I changed the difficulty to commodore and decided to do a full game. I definitely felt some ups and downs on what I think of Stellaris, so it would be great to get some feedback from experienced players.

- No Khan, never seen him ever. Was pretty dissapointed he never showed up as mid game was pretty quiet.
- Federations - This actually worked pretty well, got invited to a federation then made leader for the rest of the game. Seems like it effectively made them my vassal except they get a vote. Only real issue with this is I can't see how to upgrade federation ships, so they were well out of date by late game. Most of the galaxy was in an opposing federation, which did a lot to keep the game balanced rather than me just bullying everyone.
- Mid to late game most interaction involved trying to deal with unemployment. What's the go here? I was manually resettling people but with like 30 planets that got old pretty quick. I see you can get things like Shared burdens, but since I didn't start with it, it seemed difficult to adopt. I started as fanatical materialist and pumped out robots until late game when i had too many pops and destroyed all my robot factories. Im sure there's a better way to do this.
- Fallen empires didn't wake up until very late game and there was no war in the heavens. They did start forming some federations very late game.
- The game speed started to slow drastically, it wasn't laggy in the sense the game was smooth. However the time it took for a day to pass on fastest was probably 5 times as long as at the start of the game.
- Hung in there waiting around for the end game crisis, eventually the prethoryn scourge spawned. At the same time the mega federation declared war on me. I figured this was going to be a huge challenge as I wouldn't be able to slow them down while I was fighting the federation.
- Fought to a white peace (which ends up taking tons of their stations). By the time this happened the scourge still only had 2 entry points, and very little progress. Used my white peace open borders to go check it out, there were a few 50k fleets which I cleaned up and that was that. Was extremely dissapointed at that considering how long it took to get there. I think they would have lost without me intervening at all.

I'm thinking next game I will keep the same difficulty, but reduce from medium to small map and increase the end game difficulty. Any ideas tips around the above? Early game seems great, and overall I would have been really satisfied if the crisis was as challenging as I thought it would be, but it was totally anti climactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I feel like anyone reading this thread would be put off buying the game, but I bet all the people putting it down have 100+ hours (could easily be 1000) which is more than you'll play almost any game and easy value you for money. The game basically has limitless potential, and the execution is certainly mixed, but it is absolutely worth playing if you like epic strategy games.

Slowdown is a problem, but I play on small with standard world settings (crisis turned up and 2x fallen empires as well) and it's no longer a real issue. It's called small but that's a decent sized galaxy.

The reduction in turn time for TW2 with the latest patch gives me hope they'll figure something out.