Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gyshall posted:

A pro post, thank you. I'm very familiar with making mods with Bethesda games, so editing text files should be no problem. Really appreciate the write up, I'll be off and working on this in no time.

When you finish this, post it to the thread, I'd love a mod that did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GotLag posted:

"Our claims on them"

I had a bug where that was reversed like that in the diplo screen. That might be what you're experiencing as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Khan charged in through a wormhole and took four of my systems.

In the process of fighting the fleets off, I blew up the khan, which caused the raiders to become a real empire, permanently stealing my systems until I declared war and kicked them back out of my space.

That was very frustrating.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Even better! I will test this theory shortly! Thank you!

Report back, that could be useful knowledge.

edit: my bad, thanks

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 9, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Black Pants posted:

I grabbed the Origin Civics mod and realised something interesting: Dyson Engineers (start in a system with no hyperlanes, but you get a 25% dyson sphere and a Gateway Construction Site) and Voidborne (your species' habitability preference is set to Habitats, you can build cheap 6-space habitats that can later be upgraded, and also ships and starbase stuff is cheaper) are not mutually exclusive origin civics. So I combined that with the militant, xenophobic race I decided to try playing and set my third civic as Barbaric Despoilers. And.. basically I'm playing a marauder clan that's going to suddenly explode out into the galaxy once I get this gateway online.

I did this with an energy-and-mineral-boosting plant race, and its been insanely good. Overpowered even.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'm curious, if you have only one planet colonised and enlighten a species on a planet in the same system does your empire just vanish?

You immediately lose.

Just like if you dyson sphere your last planet's sun.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

What do you mean by that particular weapon type

Missiles, Lasers, or Projectiles? What else could they possibly mean?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Which is more interesting, biological or synthetic ascension? I'm about to start a fanatic materalist/authoritarian run and haven't done either of the two.

Synthetic. Biological ascension is just endlessly micromanaging very strictly bonus/malus balanced versions of your main species. It's awful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait, are we losing tiles on Tuesday, or is that a 'way later down the line' feature?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Wow this thread is full of Yesmen. Speaking about myself I really did not like it when they removed the FTL options after buying the game for its variety. I do not care about balancing mechanics or chokepoints. I played the game usually as a leisure exploration activity and I enjoyed that species could start with different FTL and different weapons. I approached 2.0 with an open mind but I found I do not enjoy it at all. The worst thing I disliked more than the FTL removal was the introduction of having to make Claims? to capture territory in Space! Other than that I found that the game turned into a spreadsheet simulator and became much slower paced, taking forever to move from one place to the next. I found out I was not enjoying it as I did before since all diversity is basically gone. They should be improving on core mechanics not simply cutting them out and calling it a day which is dishonest and shady to customers whom bought the game due to certain selling points that is now being removed completely.

My dude, there's new content in the recent expansion and a new story pack comes out on Tuesday. You need to adjust the way you play a little in order for the game to have some more strategic depth. I understand you don't find it fun anymore, but have you considered trying to learn the new way to play where you, for example, use multiple fleets to defend your large empire instead of making one big blob and sitting it in the middle?

It's a-ok to be disappointed with the changes, but it's kinda lovely to call people yesmen because they still enjoy the game.

What changed that made it more of a spreadsheet simulator? Because that's become a cliche' claim whenever a goon doesn't like something these days.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

That's false. The AI could handle itself pre 2.x. It didn't leave tiles undeveloped for years on end.

It was still pretty lovely with the tiles before. It definitely sometimes has failure-cascade-empires happen but, at least in my games, its far from the ubiquitous problem some goons try to claim it is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

...I did. That didn't stop the conflicting claims trashing our relationship, after which the empire broke the alliance.

Claims should almost certainly be cleared if ownership is transitioned to an ally during a war. That's a pretty annoying bug.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

It’s fine - if you don’t go full synth you get a different tradition perk so you can go full mega engineering or w/e.

Or get the mod that lets you spread across all the trees and become Psi-borgs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

The biggest flaw with the game's fleet combat at the moment is that during the first alien discovery events the text refers to your scientists as "<insert species name> scientists," when there can't be any aliens living in your empire! It should just say "our scientists" or something!! :argh:

What if you start with a slave species?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, we just want very different things out of the game. I don't want to imagine robot-humans with pickaxes that have been upgraded over generations to the point of emergent sapiance finally asking their masters some poignant philosophical question that makes everyone gasp and realize maybe the robots are people and enslaved, that's such a tired cliche. I want to imagine huge automated tunnel boring machines attached to huge automated material processing plants all being maintained by a huge variety of drones and mobile industrial equipment ranging from tiny spider-like robots that clean the drill heads to massive mobile 3d printer systems. I want to imagine that each piece of equipment is given the processing power and abilities it needs to do its job because they are just pieces of equipment, not people, and don't need sapience. I then want to imagine a sapient intelligence overseeing and coordinating all this industrial activity and equipment, maybe it sometimes uses a physical avatar to inspect the site, but usually it just exists within the mine's vast networks. But, because this industrial intelligence exists within a materialist society it has rights and protections and has been classified as a citizen. As are the ships in my automated fleet, as are the vast research and scientific AI's that work alongside our organic research pops, as are the humanoid synths built to experience lives similar to our organic pops. I want to create something like "The Culture" which had everything from god-ai's to mindless drones all living in harmony.

But where do you draw the line? One empire may see all those artificial minds as nothing more than tools and equipment. Another might find the very existence of them a threat to their society. For a materialist society the "optimal" choice is of course to give the sapient AI rights, but that might not be the optimal choice for a spiritualist society. Full AI rights without your population getting a little paranoid about god-like AI's doing more and more of the work, not just mining and construction, but science, government, even art and culture, is a benefit of being materialist, that's where the balance is and the interesting choices are. Those are the choices that I love, not "what's the most optimal build order to rush early game minerals" or "what's the most optimal early game warmonger strategy"

I mean heck, you could even have a "decadence" system for late game empires. Your human pops that once pioneered the galaxy and now all pampered and no one has done physical work or endured any sort of hardship for generations because robots have done that, and now that there's better and better sapient AI, those humans aren't even bothering with science or culture anymore. What do you do at this point? Replace your lazy uncreative humans with synths? Accept that your empire's founding populations have become bio-trophies and officially switch to that gameplay mechanic? Restrict AI and get your humans back to work but face a potential AI uprising? I can think of so many ways to "balance" being able to have both synths-with-citizen-rights and worker-droids and have it lead to more interesting gameplay and inter-empire interactions. I get not having the time to implement mechanics and balance to make it all work, but to say it's just not possible due to "balance" or would present one "optimal" choice feels extremely unimaginative.

Sir, this is a space McDonald's.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So when I read in the dev diaries the reasons for gutting the tile system being almost word for word what I and many others wrote like a year or more ago and were insulted for, I sort of lost a little bit of my ability to feel human.

Maybe take a break if this is causing depersonalization man, this is a thread about video games on a dead gay forum for weird nerds. It shouldn't have an effect on your self worth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Also, those 2's get modified by various techs, traits, and other things. Plus, income tends to be way more important than a stockpile, especially for energy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So basically people think that their posting on something awful is going to influence the design of Stellaris' next patch because sometimes Wiz glances at the thread until he's called a Nazi and rolls his eyes then leaves?

Is that what this is about now? Like discuss away, but getting up on a high horse about how 'now is the time when we must speak in order to make our voices heard upon high in the dev offices of Paradox Incorporated!!' is a bit of a silly argument to fall back on imo.

I'm in the camp that we saw a sneak peek at an unfinished product and it likely left us with some weird ideas about how it'll work that probably aren't worth being a dick about.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't get the objection to Servitors as being "memed" as always dystopic. They ARE dystopic. It might be comfortable, but the part where you're implanted with obedience chips or forced at gunpoint into your pleasure cube is the dystopic part. It is, conceptually, a nightmare.

That's not the only potentially imagined form of rogue servitors. It's entirely possible that the humans/cutelizards/slugs/etc. just don't have greater ambitions than to smoke weed and play xbox, while the robots understand that they need to spread out in order to protect their wards.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

One thing that's potentially nice about having multiple resources is that I may finally have a reason to build nebula refineries, assuming they give something other than basic minerals :v:

I build every nebula refinery available. Not because they're useful, but because I love the idea of compressing star stuff into spaceships at some deep space nebula facility.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I want a Sam Elliot voice pack.

Also The Dude.

And Walter.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It definitely gais something by being part of a list.

Stellaris: 1. Uplifting a horse to ask for consent is woke as gently caress...

Is a good title.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CBN_Shaggy posted:

Presenting the best of both worlds :P

Stellaris 2.2: Broke: Tiles | Woke: Uplifting horses to ask for consent.

Changing my vote to this, it is very good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The caravaneers also ignore being told a firm no and come back with the offer again at a later date for me with the same offer.

tithin posted:

Having an odd issue where I can't seem to build any agriculture buildings so I'm at negative food and can't crawl my way otu of it.

Most mods disabled apart from Dark UI which is supposedly compatible with 2.2?

Are you building agridistrcits? I ignored the advice to turn on the tutorial and built no districts for like 30 years of playtime.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This story came up in TBB and made me think of Stellaris.

I'm inspired to make a galactic restaurant corporation serving the first bird people I meet to the rest of the galaxy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mazz posted:

Is it really? Shuffling jobs around and delaying upgrades waiting for pops doesn't exactly feel "meaningful." It doesn't impart some excellent management skills that clicking on upgrade buildings didn't. It's the exact same process just more drawn out. This type of micro isn't more "rewarding", not when you realistically have to do it for in-game years to every planet to not have them run significantly under their total potential. Sure, you can ignore it and it works fine, but you could also mostly ignore sector run tile management.

I'm not arguing the change wasn't a step in the right direction, just that it still needs a lot of work to not feeling like meaningless micromanagement, especially as it currently feels like far more of that vs 2.1 min/maxing.

This is pretty disengenuous complaining because 'always click yellow arrows when they appear' has become 'balance and stagger your buildings nased on your growth rste and current galaxy wide events like wars etc.'

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So what're some good current mods? I played when the new patch/dlc came out but took a lil break t9 let the mods catch up.

Any suggestions welcome.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794924166

That's my current single player&friendly multiplayer list. The first 4 I consider essential, the rest is mostly additional stuff.

Legit, thanks.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
added that one guy's stuff, tiny fleets, and the SA empire list.

Let's see how bad I can be at this game again!!!

edit: whoa no dark core?? extremely poor form

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 3, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Saw this previewed in a video about space games to play while quarantined, and low and behold it's on sale. Is the OP still correct with the recommended expansions/DLC?

More or less.

Base game good, each expansion adds a few cool things. What you want to play as determines which ones are most useful, so look at the options.

Megacorps lets you be Dutch East India Company across the galaxy.

Synthetic Dawn let’s you be robots of various stripes from the Borg to Asimov helperbots, to Skynet.

Federations let’s you team up with AIs and other players in mp better.

Etc. etc.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My understanding was that voidborne have a problem with gravity, so megastructures or things that make gravity crush them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Maybe they’re all too fat to gently caress in anything but zero-g

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Ah, so is the whole game borked at the moment then? Would I run into issues as a new player, or is this the kind of 'breaks the end-game on super-ultra hard difficulty' kind of issue I've seen a lot in other games?

The game is fine and fun. Goons are just goons.

Plus there’s that guy who has to release a heavy sigh and come inform the thread every time he screenshots and submits a bug report. Which makes the game look worse (and makes that dude feel important? I’m not sure.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sloober posted:

definitely still works, there's legitimate complaints (fwiw i believe the empire pop penalty is too high and needs to take into account galaxy/planet settings), but my experience has not devolved into being completely broken, outside of the 'on the shoulders of giants' occasionally breaking on the last step which precludes you from getting the final set of permanent bonuses. Also you just generally have to assume an AI will open an L-gate so plan for the grey tempest accordingly around ~2300ish

For sure. But it’s still playable even with the odd quest failure and a slightly too high pop growth penalty. Neither of which a person playing the game with fresh eyes is going to notice in the next 6 months to a year of playing what is, otherwise, a pretty fun game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Semi-related but it always bugged me that heavily-damaged ringworld sections can't be repaired. By the time our empires can repair existing ringworlds or literally build them from scratch it's kinda mind boggling that we can't just put a little extra space elbow-grease into fixing these more damaged sections.

Same.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

I wish I could organize heists and steal relics with the new espionage system, the Surveyor is on the other side of the universe :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do these people who have never posted in this thread reply to these questions to deliver the "definitive take", it's great.

The person posting the bug reports has contributed 20x the content you have, so it's incredibly cool that this post combined a total non answer "lol game gut" (in game that has had endless redesigns and problems for 5 years, without a hint of irony, because the devs are posting now) + insulting someone actually trying to make the game better.

No insult, just answering a new person's question. The game is worth playing, it's pretty fun. Some people like to come in here and report that they've found a bug every single time they do, and it makes the game look worse than it is.

Is the game perfect? Obviously not. Is it fun? Definitely!

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings or upset you in any way with my tongue in cheek post about the guy who hops in to tell us when he finds bugs. It's easy to look at a longterm thread like this and get the impression that the game is completely and utterly broken, when the truth is that the bugs are more fiddly than that, and likely won't be too noticeable until you're more experienced. I've been playing Stellaris since it came out, and I still play mp with friends. The game is pretty dece, which was the question.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GrimSqueaker posted:

Does anybody know the code to access the beta branch?

There's no code, it's an open beta - you just select it then close that menu and click update.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Attacking others for posting [...] is ridiculous and unnecessary.

At least we agree on something.

Feel free to carry on your valiant fight, friend. Saying 'don't take the guy posting about bugs he finds to mean the game is totally broken' isn't that big a deal imo.

When I've earned the privilege of you feeling that I'm able to post in the space ship video game thread, you can pm me about it if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Seconding this, very much. I have a set of premades I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested too

Didn’t there used to be a goon premades pack going around at one point?