Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So fleet manager lets you make fallen empire ships if you got them somehow into the fleet, regardless of whether or not you have a template

However, it uh

Something seems to have gone wrong here :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Did the horizon signal break again, am I just very unlucky on getting omega alignment, or did I break something by doing a synth ascendancy in the middle of the event chain?

Or a combination of the above?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Enigmatic fortress is instantly repairing itself so I can't do the event chain :rip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I managed to do the event chain despite the fortress constantly repairing itself. It comes back online with like 1 hp so just park a fleet in front of it and it'll get swatted back down every couple of days. Then you can have a scientist with his ship on passive stance do the projects in the system. Make sure the scientist is waiting nearby before you engage the fortress for the first time, though: you'll start getting "fortress repowers" events 700ish days after you kill it for the first time, there's no way to avoid them and they cancel all progress so you have to finish the chain in 700 days or it becomes impossible. You will continue getting fortress repowers events for like 5 years after the end of the chain but they won't do anything because the fortress disappears when you finish the chain.

It wasn't actually making the events to do anything though, and then the war in heaven kicked off and it was right next to the guys I picked against so everything got put on halt forever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo that's the first time I've had to give up in a while, Contingency popped with like 500k in each system and nobody was even close :psylon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean, they COULD be killed off, but it depends on settings in the policies (or if you chose a purifier variant)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I get that but it's a lot of events my dude. Placement of quest systems has been screwy since release and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who has seen a precursor line finish more than once.

Also the Cybrex one is infinitely better than any of the other, it's not even close.

It's me, I'm the guy who had it finish twice of two times!

Not even using cheats although I abandoned the idea of achievements until I don't want to keep the console available to fix bugs and such

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Unable to play because of traveling, I'm theory crafting instead and a question has popped into my head:

So now that planetary output edicts are no longer a thing, is there any point to specializing planets?

I think only if the planet has a modifier, or if you want to play the intense micro of gene or robo modding pops to have bonuses.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I also think it's kinda crap that the admiral is assigned to a ship, it makes such a huge difference in everything that once the admiral poofs the whole fleet vanishes, and it's not like you can control this. The game just arbitrarily decides "hey, this ship has the admiral".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also on the list of random bitching, the way FTL works now has made it basically impossible to finish any events that require construction ships because they time out before you can get one there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't get those people

Some stuff in the new Cherryh mechanics needs some tweaks but I generally like it more

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I somehow have a refugee pop from a devouring swarm??

e: IT KEEPS HAPPENING

(It might be related to these guys being beaten up by the great khan)

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 25, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also lol the ancient dreadnought is basically worthless now because it slows any fleet it's in down to a pitiful sub 100

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Never take control of any guardians before you have jump drives if you care about their relevance in the late-game. They always join with the best sub-light and FTL tech you have at that moment, and you can never update them.

Nah, automated dreadnought spawns with jump drive and top regular tier everything now no matter what I have. It's just a slow piece of poo poo that's half the speed of anything else because I think its base speed didn't get upgraded for Cherryh.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My first experience with the great khan was that he was on the other side of the galaxy, fought with a devouring horde, and then he died without me ever really interacting at all and now the khanate is just a regular empire who kinda likes me

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Awwww the enigmatic fortress sucks now even if you do make it through the incredibly buggy state it's in

:argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Am I mis-remembering something or did there used to be a "hold election now" button for democratic things?

e: Also, how is the War in Heaven supposed to work now? It seems to just hit war weariness 100 really fast and then end as a wet fart because of the -1000 on the main victory condition. Do they re-war after a while or what?

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gort posted:

I think that's a hard limit.

You sure can't beat it in the fleet manager, anyway.

Repeating my question about the WiH for a new page because I'm really curious:

Shugojin posted:

Also, how is the War in Heaven supposed to work now? It seems to just hit war weariness 100 really fast and then end as a wet fart because of the -1000 on the main victory condition. Do they re-war after a while or what?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Okay so on the second run through (settings reverted to 2300/2400 for midgame and endgame) I could pretty easily sweep through the awakened empire I picked against

My jackass overlord took all but one poo poo system

you're next, fuckers

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes the orbital teapot is deserving of worship.

Sometimes it's a 3D shadow of a 4D object that superior brains can figure out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My last game went nicely because my guys and my ally had half the wormhole ends in our territory so I could skip around a lot

I later accidentally ticked off that ally because they spammed federation a war request incessantly and I didn't realize every time I declined it I was upsetting them

Put a cool down or something on that dang, I know it might annoy players but an AI basically can force you into a war you don't want or a broken federation

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jabarto posted:

What are people's thoughts on the different war doctrines? Especially the no-retreat one; +33% fire rate sounds crazy but on the other hand, no retreats ever means you're going to lose a lot of ships in each fight, especially if you use a lot of corvettes and destroyers.

I roll with the one that gives +25% sublight speed because getting fleets there is so annoying

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Gaian creation perk? It takes so long (same as before, was always too long) and doesn't improve things THAT much compared to teraforming to the correct habitability or gene modding. I feel like taking the ascension perk and becoming master terraformers it should take the same time as the other options.

I mean the +5% happiness / +10% production is nice

If you're spiritualist you can just make some trash 10 tile planet a Gaia world for +10% unity forever too

I thought I'd be able to make lots of holy worlds like the spiritualist FE but I guess I need a lot longer before my dudes can worship more than one planet :rip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There is a displacement purge type you can use. It takes a while though, there need to be open tiles in empires accepting refugees.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mistakenly let my chosen one super admiral get elected president and now that I got him back he seems to have regained his psychic trait so now he's an aggressive psychic chosen one logistician who is doomed to a rendezvous

Attaching him to a fleet makes a 50% difference in fleet power

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

One thing I have noticed about the random pirates is that they all seem to really want to attack just one system, so if you fortify that system they'll just break harmlessly against your fortress forever.

e: Is there some sort of hard cap on fleet command size or what, because I'm researching this repeatable tech for +10 and it's sitting at 200

e2: Yes, it's 200 and that should probably be set to stop showing up once you are at 200

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 27, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's really satisfying to be able to pull off a surprise attack in your war for independence

Definitely camped my dudes out where I realized my awakened overlord's main fleet was going and brutally smashed it on the first strike, getting 50 war weariness on them from the overwhelming victory

Heck yes

(This war against the Contingency is gonna go a lot better now that I have all my minerals and energy)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

e: shameful double post

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Well the update allowed me to fill out every single tradition tree and run 4 simultaneous unity ambitions in my current game, to make clear just how badly the bug was loving anyone who liked to expand :v:

Wait, what bug?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

In 2.0-2.0.1, the increasing Unity costs for systems and colonies were a multiplicative increase with each other. They are intended to be additive (like pretty much everything else in the game that's %-based and applies to resources). 2.0.2 fixed this bug.

Oh dang that's pretty big

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy moly that drops it down to like a quarter of the cost per ambition when I have all the traditions done

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm just dicking around and letting the contingency take over the galaxy, the xenophobe AE is also deciding "not my problem" now that everything near them is dead.

...the contingency took out the machine AE though so I may have swooped in to take their ringworld. That energy section is basically equivalent to a Dyson sphere!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So I guess a world cracker doesn't quite disable the contingency :thunk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo there's a lot of random dead ancient dudes with distress transponders in this game

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also there is a hard cap of 1,000 to naval capacity and 200 to fleet command.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Is there a bug where you can't hyperlane into systems? Twice, in two different wars, I couldn't enter the enemy system. Lanes were blue, but my fleet wouldn't do it. This recent time, I had jump drives and was able to jump in, but it totally detailed my earlier war.

Probably the way FTL inhibitors work now. If one is affecting you, you can only leave a system how you came in (or jump drive).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

40k is pretty easy to hit, build 6 missile bay additions. Then build the defense grid supercomputer and put on two ion cannons and fill out with 7 more of whatever the best defense platforms you have are.

Also maybe the ambition that gives +40% home territory fire rate would do something helpful here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My experience in Cherryh was that cruisers were basically just battleships but not as good at it so I sort of ended up never really using them much.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mustang posted:

So how do I declare independence from my AI overlords? All diplomacy lets me do is request independence which of course they always deny so I don't even know why that's an option. I'm more powerful than they are, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to rebel against them and then stomp them into the loving ground.

I think you can request and then get a rebellion casus belli maybe?

Request may not be necessary, you might always have the CB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some of the issue with ship upgrading vs building is that building with the fleet manager uses every spaceport you have compared to upgrading using one single starbase worth.