Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Not entirely sure what happened, but I appear to be stuck in a starvation death spiral. some giant marauder fleet got paid to invade me, bombed a planet and now i'm stuck at -20 food and -100 unrest everywhere. The pirates are gone, but apparently my civilisation is now completely hosed?

The starvation is causing unhappiness which is causing unrest, which is reducing food output, which is causing starvation...

Is there actually a way to solve this or is my game over?

Edit: Ok I retooled every single one of my starbases to a hydroponics, and as soon as I hit +1 food everyone got happy and my food output jumped to +15. Cool.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Staltran posted:

Weird, wasn't food exempt from unhappiness production reduction at some point? I don't mean unrest, just happiness, it's-20% in that picture. Guess they changed that way back when they changed happiness from threshold based to more granular.

You could try buying food from other empires maybe?

Pretty sure there's no cap.

I think there might actually be a bug going on here? I made every one of my starbases into a hydroponics and as soon as I hit net positive food output, the entire empire instantly got happy and my food output jumped to +15.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a decent writeup anywhere on managing planets in a post-LeGuin world? I haven't played since they got rid of tiles and everything feels a little daunting.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Jumped into the game again with Nemesis release and hoo boy I can't remember how to make numbers go up good. Dicked around with a Megacorp since I'd never tried one before and, while I sort of get Branch Offices, I just couldn't get my planets to push out meaningful value. What's the basic thought behind developing planets optimally these days? There wasn't a ton of planets within my borders, and I had a reasonable chunk of territory, so should I pivot to spamming Habitats ASAP? What should I be building on them?

I got about 100 years in and was just a wet blanket snuggled between two wet blankets, one of which thought he was hot poo poo. He attacked the pirate faction nuzzled against his outside border, unified the clans, and was ultimately responsible for the desolation of our entire half of the galaxy. Oops.

I should have been able to mount some sort of fight after 100 years, but I just wasn't in any sort of position to do so :smith:

Edit: Also a really funny/frustrating bug that I'll have to report. I ended up with a science vessel honey trap -- the three Kettling systems were un-surveryable. If you surveyed them, a Kettling planet would trigger an anomaly without completing the surface scan, which you couldn't complete without finishing the surface scan. Every friendly auto-survey ship in the galaxy ended up floating on these systems.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 1, 2021

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Since so many things are dumb traps in this game (clerks lol), can someone clear up for me if this apples to Gene Clinics? I feel like they're worth it simply on the basis of being a source of pop growth, but I'm wrong most of the time.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The way the snowball happens in this game is truly remarkable. I was dicking around as a Void Dweller, building a habitat basically on cooldown, but otherwise feeling like I wasn't getting anything done and doubting whether this was a good idea at all. And then I was the most highly advanced and most powerful entity in the galaxy. Not sure how that happened. Rolling about the galaxy at the turn of the century making everyone my tributary. Pay up, assholes.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

Where you playing on Ensign (or scaling difficulty?). Currently the AI is consistently borking its own economy on the lower difficulty settings, things tend to crash a hundred years in or so.

Captain or Commodore, I can't quite remember off the top of my head. This would track though. My numbers are ballooning in some interesting ways, but that wouldn't account for the fleets im seeing in opposition.

Oh well. It lets me live out the fantasy of this empire anyway.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Feels like my resource numbers are all over the place these days, like I went from +60 energy to -2, within a few months after turning on the energy edict. Not sure why. First time playing a decadent race, might be that? Ofc I am surrounded by robots and hive minds so I can’t even capture any slaves lmao.

My gut tells me this is happening because pops are migrating to other planets constantly. I don't know what the cooldown on a pop choosing to auto migrate is, but my Voidborne pops are doing it regularly and it makes my bank balance freak out as outputs lurch to and fro.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Why is there not a Habitat designation for hydroponics :argh:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Gives a whole new meaning to why we now call it a "Leisure" station. Don't worry - it's not like that other place.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Got myself in a weird situation. Declared war on a guy for his ringworld, and some tiny guy has floated a transport through my orbital bombardment and occupied it. I... don't appear to have any method to deal with this? I can't declare war on the guy because I have no CB, and all the ways to create a CB with him are greyed out because I'm currently at war.

This seems dumb.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Make a claim on a single one of his planets? I think you can declare rivalry which will trigger a CB too.

Claim worked! Thanks. Couldn't declare Rival because they're Pathetic/Pathetic/Pathetic.

Not being able to tell someone to Get To gently caress for sniping your war target is really awkward. Turning their homeworld to glass in retaliation does seem appropriate though.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Trying out a robbit game as Determined Exterminators to try and force myself to do better with the economy, and it's the research system that handicapped me this time.

Went all in on a research homeworld asap, focusing the other couple of 20+ planets I found to alloys, dedicating anything smaller as resource feeders from energy and mining. Seemed like a good plan, got up to 500ish research remarkably fast, nice big alloy number.

I didn't see the first research lab upgrade for going on 50 years, which absolutely bottlenecked my research snowball. Unreal.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Also you can't even research the tier 2 lab until you have researched a rare gases tech or have access to the Galactic Market.

This may have been what got me, though I *think* I got the gas tech pretty early, because I was aware of the upkeep requirement.

Seeing as we're on this vein, are there any other obvious roadblocks that have requirements you might otherwise pass over?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Still messing around with this DE empire, and jesus christ robot pop production is absolutely ridiculous compared to my Void Dweller.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

e;fb

Cybrex event chain not resolving properly is a known issue. I think it might be resolved in the 3.0.3 beta, but I never get Cybrex to tell you for sure :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Eugenics solves all problems.

This game speedruns you into a horrible monster because being such is optimal strategy and/or most convenient.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I am really god awful at the early game. Thought I had a real good start on the go -- something like 8 habitable planets within 5 jumps of home, playing as robots so start aggressively colonising... first contact goes through with my neighbour, reveals a Fanatical Purifier who immediately war decs me and dives into my territory with a 40 stack of corvettes amounting to about 2k fleet power :negative:

I'd prepared the border with an armed starbase just in case, which amounts to about 1k power, but my fleet is small and only amounts to around 4-500 and I just roll over dead in the year 2222.

Getting a growing appreciation for how valuable every early alloy is now. Got too greedy expanding to try and balloon and the early aggression wrecked me. I need some practice of scenarios like this to learn how to balance the extremely early economy where it feels like demands for the alloys are in every direction, but stuff like this only happens occasionally so normally I can avoid impending doom for at least a little while!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm only playing on Commodore so i've never really felt like it was a problem, but then again I don't start next to Fanatical Purifiers very often. I've usually snowballed enough to not have to worry about threats all that much by the time the wars start, and an AI coming after me that hard and with such immediacy really caught me by surprise. Normally I'll get a year or two after identifying them as a purifier before they come at me, but it obviously makes sense for them to try and gently caress you up as early as they possibly can.

I don't like being the prey :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Really enjoying the new vassal stuff, but holy poo poo is the AI too willing to subjugate itself to you. My current game had two real power blocs and I just persuaded the other one to become my vassal by putting all the sliders fully in their favour, so now I own half the galaxy. Might seem like he got a pretty good deal but im just going to crush his vassal contract in five years when it cools down and that's the game done.

Other than that, couple of extremely minor gripes -
- Is there a bunch of broken fuckery with CBs currently? I was trying to snipe the big guy's small vassals but I couldn't get any subjugation CBs to fire no matter what I tried. I've got the Total War CB so ultimately it's kind of whatever, but it would be nice to vassalise some people at the end of a Tachyon Lance.
- I really hope one of the things on the Custodian list is the Species screen and species micromanagement in general. Nihilisitic Acquisition kidnapping everyone's poo poo robots and being stuck with a bunch of garbage paperweights is extremely annoying. Fortunately you can sell them all on the slave market, but I feel like I should be able to amalgamate them into the greater machine collective somehow.

Game good, but I'm definitely going to have to handicap myself out of proposing vassalisations in the next game because it's way, way too easy to win that way.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Everyone keeps submitting to my will so my poor Ecumenopolis of pampered friends hasn't seen anyone new for a while. I'm getting a little bored so I think it's time to bring one of the Fallen Empires into the fold -- the orbital artillery is loaded for Friendship.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

If anyone is friendly with you, including your vassals (If there isn't a vassal contract for resources), Consumer Goods are extremely valuable in direct trade with the AI. You can comfortably trade shitloads of CG for basically anything they have because the AI significantly overvalues them. I regularly swap out 3k CG for stuff like 10k minerals or energy. A lot of the current strategies have this as a core part of their plan, even.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Anno posted:

Lately I've been playing mostly Remnants Rogue Servitors so I guess I'd be banned :v: It's really fun!

This is currently my favourite build in the game and it is extremely silly

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I usually just stack a particle lance and neutron launchers in the late game so I can just have everything benefiting from the same repeatables. I am also extremely lazy.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

By taking Remnants as your origin you can get a guaranteed Ecumenopolis extremely early and also without an Ascension perk.

The power in Servitors is the fact that Bio-Trophies apply 1% to complex drone output per pop (and like 4 unity base), so cramming an Ecumenopolis full of trophies and forges makes it into an absolute alloy monster. Normally this wouldn't seem too practical because they have reduced growth rate, but the bonus applies via anyBio-Trophy, which means if you take Nihilistic Acquisition you can just go bomb other empires and steal as many pops as you can possibly fit, leading to some pretty insane multipliers to your output. If you stack unity multipliers it gives you a pretty crazy unity output just as an added bonus.

Mid to late game is where they shine, but they don't need much space to get going and there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop it happening besides completely shut down their ability to raid for pops.

If the event RNG lines up for you it gets absolutely bananas - it's entirely possible to roll Cybrex for a free Ring World and Rubricator for a second free Ecumenopolis and welp.

My current opening gambit is usually to take the food alloy civic, Unyielding first tradition, and rush to 12 starbases (first starbase tech, edict, traditions) and fill them with solar arrays and hydroponic bays which alloys you to go hard on alloys and research early to secure a solid border and tech up to where you need to be to take advantage of any of this.

I'm not particularly great at the game, but it's a really comfortable opener on Commodore that the AI will never have the ability to deal with in any meaningful way besides war deccing you early and often, which honestly just won't happen unless they're a purifier-- your early alloy output will be enough to build and maintain a reasonable fleet that will mostly dissuade them.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Consumer Goods is something I totally forgot to mention too -- Rogue Servitors get the ability to produce them because they're a requirement for trophy pop upkeep. The thing is they require hardly any and you will accidentally produce enormous numbers of them when you forget to disable excess artisan jobs and, as I've mentioned before, a warehouse full of consumer goods will effectively allow you to bribe the entire universe.

A suggestion I have is you pivot away from the food alloy thing when you unlock the third civic so that you don't have to try and find food production when you run out of starbases, but honestly with the way trading is at the minute it's probably better to just occasionally trade for your supply cap in food with some of those consumer goods or whatever. Or just get yourself a vassal to make them all for you.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I've been dicking around with some early starts and as far as I can tell empire sprawl pretty much doesn't matter. It does have an effect, but it's only 20%/10% tradition cost/research cost per 100 points and I'm not good at math but you must break even at the very least with like 1 dedicated planet per couple of hundred sprawl or something. I'm at like 400 sprawl in 2250 in my current game, but one of my 9 planets as an admin world seems more than enough to keep ahead of the tradition curve and I have pretty much no built in bonuses to unity in my current thing. Not a good game to gauge tech on because of the build, but I can't say I've ever really felt slow because of sprawl.

Speaking of builds, I finally got around to having a look at the Fiefdom origin and goodness this is extremely easy to abuse. Followed the pro tips a little earlier to keep a research agreement going and i've got planetary rings and Citadels up comfortably before the thing collapses. I was slow to the realisation you can make the Overlord fight wars for you, and I know that playing a Megacorp is probably where the real meat is, but I'm enjoying my little RP as a Master Crafters/Technocracy/Meritocracy. Nice and chill bonsai tree to poke at. I'm sure I'll continue the legacy once it collapses and pivot to mighty overlord.

I'll be having that size 30 Gaia world for myself though thanks. Aix must endure.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I saw that video and got excited because cool! one planet challenge! and then oh. it's just vassals. Feudal Society (and to a lesser extent Shared Destiny) is crazy strong.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Everyone's already posted it but yeah you're just shooting to cram as many bio trophies as you can into Ecumenopolis. Pop growth is really not going to cut it for producing the numbers you want in the long term, so you'll want to either take Nihilistic Acquisition to kidnap pops in volume or be conquering to really take advantage of how silly it gets.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

There's no cap on the bonus.

Quick grab from the last run I did just getting started on the snowball (150 trophies)

For clarity the top image is the combined output of all 150 trophies, the bottom pic is a single alloy drone (there's 57 of them)

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Aggressively expanding early is the hardest balancing act for me. If I see a bunch of easy to grab planets early I'll often colonize them all at once thinking I'm going to get a big benefit off it, but planets take quite a while to provide any meaningful returns, so if you do it too much too soon you just destroy your early economy and it can take a while to fix.

I am not good at figuring out how much is too much.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

AI will basically sign a vassalage contract in the first place the instant you hit comparable power standings and are pretty unlikely to rebel if you keep relations and your fleet strength up. If you force all the vassals into a Hegemony it supercedes a bunch of vassal contract stuff, so you can give them really relaxed terms because they're bound by the Hegemony rules before the Vassal Contract. Getting the Hegemony going in the first place is as simple as spinning off a 1 planet vassal, releasing them, forming the federation, kicking them out of the federation (thus making you the only non-vassal member) and then offering them subjugation again (which they will pretty much 100% of the time agree to). Just make sure you have another vassal to keep the Federation going once you kick them out.

An additional benefit of the Hegemony is you get the Federation fleet power for yourself and you can just keep ballooning like this until you have enough control of the Galactic Community through the combined power of you and all your vassals who are contractually bound to vote your way in the senate.

It is extremely easy to win the game this way. Having to give the AI really disadvantegeous (to you) terms to make them sign might seem bad, but they're typically really compliant once their loyalty ticks up through good relations and the terms that you can rewrite their contract into absolute servitude after a couple of passes through the 5 year cooldown.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Are you playing a Megacorp using Franchising or a normal empire using Feudal Society? I could have sworn Protectorates could be locked down normally, but both those Civics prevent that contract rule as an option.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Stealing the Necrophage starfish because I need these as an existential threat to my galaxies.

Also to play as because that sounds like a fun game.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Mechanics question -- what happens if you're in a Federation with just you and your vassals and the leadership of the Federation is still on rotation? Does one of your vassals get put in charge? Does that do anything fucky? Little nervous the game is going to implode when my term limit expires here

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Did synth ascension in a galaxy with a spiritualist fallen empire and had no idea this rolling 10 year humiliation was a thing. How annoying!

Wasn't planning on taking Colossus this game but somebody apparently wants me to turn their ancient empire to glass.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The science snails may be nice guys deep down, but they got pushed around as a lowly vassal to a powerful empire for decades before turning their guns on their former liege lord. Can't have some even bigger decrepit fish in this galactic pond push them around without there being consequences -- it's the principle of the thing!

In game terms it's just about to move into 2300 and we've got the tech tree (mostly -- titan and dreadnaught tech are refusing to pop: curse the 0.1x chance multiplier pre-2300 :argh:) complete, megastructures underway, a forge world undergoing transition into an Ecumenopolis, and a booming trade economy. We really don't need a few FE buildings.

I love this dumb game. Gonna crack some planets like walnuts and consider moving above Commodore next time. The Purifier geckos have spawned in this game so I should probably shield their homeworld and grab that achievement while I'm at it.

Edit: I was poking at that Starfish Necrophage FP empire to give it a spin, but isn't Necrophage FP a really bad idea? Won't they immediately purge their slave species on game start? I suppose it encourages you to go invading since you're stuck with cripplingly poor pop growth.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 12, 2022

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

On a previous patch, they have a special purge type to force convert pops to be more of themselves.

I haven’t checked in the current version.

I figured it worked like this, but the big problem becomes the fact they're staring down the barrel of -75% pop growth on the Necrophage species with the slave species intended to counteract this not existing because you force-convert them all. Like I say the obvious solution is to do what Purifiers are meant to do and go purify, but the start sounds real sketchy.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

Gateways unlock so drat late that I've built megastructures and won the game without them ever showing up. I love them but god drat.

Gateway Construction requires Gateway Activation, which requires you to have seen a Gateway or an L-Gate. I have not seen a Gateway or an L-Gate, so I am never allowed to build Gateways. This is very dumb.

Edit: wait hang on I have seen an L-gate how am I 10 repeats deep on physics tech and haven't seen it yet?!

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Some healthy changes in there!

They also nerfed free game start alloys which has been around forever?

quote:

Retrofitting ships will no longer pay out the resources left over after the retrofit costs have been applied.