Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/991592929033629696?s=19

Wiz advertising the new Devouring Swarm Deliveroo service.

S.S. Botany Bay? Seems legit, let's check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Black Pants posted:

I've been able to rely on it in the bunch of games I started since 2.1, which has been nice but also kinda cheaty with my favourite Voidborne origin civic start, which is basically like Life-Seeded but with habitats (and gaia worlds).

The Star Trek mod does this with the Suliban, to balance it, they can only build habitats around gas giants, could be a way to make that a little less cheaty at least.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

DNK posted:

In RP terms isnít end of the cycle a horrible end for your galaxy?

Look, every game of Civ should end with nukes flying as, at the very least, a secondary objective. Stellaris works on the same principal. Before you're done with the galaxy, you'd better make sure the steaming turd sitting atop it came from your space butt, and not someone elses.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Taear posted:

Nothing is more poo poo in Stellaris for me than being a pacifist who is unable to create Federations because everyone has a -50 malus towards you because you can't declare aggressive wars.

This is why we need militaristic pacifists. You can even have various versions of them based on any fanaticism. I'd like a Fanatic Militarist/Pacifist ethos that basically boils down to "There will be peace, even if we have to murder every last one of you."

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Bloodly posted:

It's an advanced trait, so you need to go into the gen-modding ascension to get at it. I don't see why everyone's so big on it-it was an Atrocity in Alpha Centauri for a very good reason. And then people begged to bring it here. I don't see why.

Makes it easier to keep the cattle in line. If you donít want to be nerve stapled, then you should stop being so delicious.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

THE BAR posted:

But you genemodded us to have gravy glands!

And that sounds like it's not my problem.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I want one where Rulers live a meager lifestyle while the general population gets the good life.

To rule is not a privilege, but a duty. Law forbids leaders the material trappings of daily life while they hold office, so that they may better serve the public interest.

I look forward to the rebelling governors in my more outlying sectors.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The idea that as you attain mastery over literal suns and have limitless energy and materials you can't find a place for people to live or that they get mad about stuff like traffic and health care, doesn't really resonate with me.

It does seem to be that the politics / internal strife stuff is being fleshed out, from a personal preference level I just wish that the problems that these future societies encountered were extrapolations of current problems imagined in a future setting instead of a 1:1 translation of existing problems.

It's not that we can't find solutions to the problems of the masses, but why dedicate our resources to making their lives better when our peacekeeping robots are already taking care of the problem?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I want the oppression to be for their own good and for them to like it.

Get Nerve stapling and you can have both and neither.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My current favourite race uses Imperial but I'm tempted to switch it to oligarchy because with imperial you can these really weird cycles where your ruler first takes throne at a young age (say 30) then they'll immediately get an heir that is just a bit younger than them and it will stay like that through the enter emperor's reign. Then as soon as they die their geriatric heir takes over for a few years before they kick the bucket, leaving their 20 year old heir to reign for several decades. Only as soon as the 20 year old takes over they get an heir that's almost their age and the cycle repeats.

There's no way to break the two old, one young, two old, one young cycle unless you find a way to kill your ruler early. And the only way to do that that I'm aware of is to lose against a fallen empire.

Go psionic, get your leader to become the chosen one.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I can't wait to have my leader forcibly removed from his office the moment quarterly earnings are two points below the predictions!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Are they that good without scaling-jobs buildings? Wouldn't you just end up with hundreds of unemployed pops because the housing per district is far higher than the jobs per district?

New Edict.

Telecommuting: Housing districts now have double function as economic districts.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Aethernet posted:

I would've assumed that the problem with gestalts having corporate outposts is that gestalts can already buy anything they want on the Galactic Market, and would therefore have no need for trade enclaves. Even the analogy to consumer goods Splicer sets out above would be traded at the empire level, rather than to the individual drones of a Hive Mind.

Ah, but a Hive mind can trade with other hive minds, and what is an individual but a hive mind unto itself?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Bloodly posted:

The problem is the 'service guarantees citizenship' i.e that people who don't serve, have no say and are effectively slaves.

They're still free to do with their lives as they wish. They just haven't earned the privilege of the vote.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Splicer posted:

Why would you be running a deficit? If you're not running +166 net minerals a month you're not going to be able to save up for one anyway. This just lets you start building it earlier.

Alternatively have it take 50% of your net minerals, capped at (some number) per month. No deficits!

I like this. Have it take 50% of your net minerals, use that to determine how fast it builds, and the cap is when you hit that minimum build time of whatever the number is.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

ScottyJSno posted:

"Hey we are people now!"

Synths have off switches. They're property. (Sorry Data)

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant loving believe this - having Robots still fucks Authoritarian factions by saying your society is not stratified.

Robots aren't real people. There's no real stratification going on.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

What if you make synthetics, give synthetics full rights, and then enslave them?

Pretty sure we've been down this rabbit hole before. Robots are property, even when we program them to emulate sapience.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Talk poo poo, get hit. Either that or the AI for marauders tried to make one of those "give us stuff, or we'll come and take it" demands. So the Fallen Empire decided to donate munitions, at the highest possible velocity.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

As much as I like seeing the little pops in their jobs, when you get more than like, 20 pops it's just a hopeless jumble. Like the new in-progess UI a lot better.

Just gotta add the ability to shuffle sectors around. I liked just making sectors out of conquered empires and naming it like "The Subjugated Realm of the [conquered race name]".

I would do this, with the exception of the homeworld, Set up the homeworld and a sector worth of systems as a vassal. Worst case, they do nothing all game, best case, they spice things up, band together with the other vassals, and rise up.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I'm unsure whether I should play a dwarf empire as a megacorp or as a democratic technocracy.

Why not create a dwarf empire for each?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Why are you assuming deviant drones are sentient? Could just as easily be they're a genetic aberration, a cancer for lack of a better term, that the hive mind needs to remove before it can cause health issues for the hive.

Could be a drone, that due to it's genetic defect, has no connection to the hive mind, but still follows it's default functions that are genetically built in. When those functions are changed, that drone's deviancy is identified.

What I'm saying is, deviant drones doesn't have to mean sentient drones.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Huh, you mean the people you kidnapped and forced to work for you aren't happy about it?

I mean, would you be happy if you got kidnapped from your home and dumped on some backwater shithole that wasn't even finished developing basic infrastructure? (They're going to planets that are in the process of colonization, not ones that have already been colonized.)

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Just you. I've got a robot game going right now where one of the early worlds near me had 15 generator districts. And that extreme storms modifier to get me an extra 20% Energy Credits.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Yessod posted:

Having the weird issue that ideology wars donít work, in unmodded 2.2.7. If I achieve all my war goals and they auto-surrender, they get a new emperor and I get the ďliberatorĒ diplomacy bonus, but they keep their old ideology. If I force a white peace, their capital stays their old ideology and everything else I have occupied becomes a new empire with my ideology.

Any advice?

I had this happen with one war when I played 2.2.7, all the liberation wars after the first seemed to work just fine.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I like using the bears with the fungus growing out of them as a hive mind. Call yourself cordyceps, be a standard hivemind and just integrate/infest all the other life forms.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I've been enjoying the new changes. I'm in a void dwellers game where I've converted all my pops into robots. I was able to hold off a big unbidden fleet by the skin of my teeth, and with a little help from an awakened empire. Then the other one woke up and they let the unbidden threat grow while they had their slap fight. So I joined the league, focused everything I had on the unbidden, and once they were sorted, turned my eyes on the awakened empires which have grown to a pretty big size at this point.

I'm enjoying the new mechanics with pops, even on a large galaxy there's almost no late game slowdown. I think I'm at something like 2k pops now.

I think once the awakend fellas are sorted out I'm going to try and use diplomacy to get as many vassals/protectorate as I can and just integrate them all. Gonna wipe out all biological life with kindness.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

It bothers me so much when I miss a single system somewhere behind my chokepoint and end up having to declare a full on war to get it nice and tidy.

I've solved this specific problem by setting my borders to closed by default.

Still, I could definitely use the option when some prick neighbor gets to the choke point before me.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

It certainly sounds and feels like a bug, but the bug report was marked "working as designed".

Makes sense, while your construction crews are getting the district set up, no one can live In that area until the works done.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I don't think the government would take too kindly to folks living in an active construction zone. I don't care if there is enough room, you're not taking a nap in my crane.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Take all their upgraded starbases, once they have nowhere to retreat to, you can gently caress up their fleet without them having anywhere to run to.

Or just field a bunch of artillery battleships and stack up on range, even if they run, they'll run before they have enough a chance to do any substantial damage to your fleet.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

So, I think I've become space terrorists in my most recent machine empire playthrough. I'm using fortress habitats at my choke points, which also double as processing facilities for organics. Jack them into the network, then use them as literal meat shields.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I think they should just ditch armies and make them into a module you can stick on ships. The only thing that ever matters for them is having more number than the opponent.

This would be pretty cool, add a bombardment module, give it either orbital bombardment, armies, or raiding shuttles for kidnapping.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Invader Zym posted:

Fnon Gnop, scientist is taken by a strange mood.

Fnon Gnop has created Viera'rg'l Rin, a durasteel transmogrifier

Viera'rg'l Rin, "The Severity of Flowers" a durasteel transmogrifier.
This is a durasteel transmogrifier. All craftblorgship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with durasteel and neutronium. This object menaces with spikes of zro. On the item is an image of Viera'rg'l Rin, the durasteel transmogrifier in living metal.

Gonna have a real bad time if you don't have that dark matter needed for a legendary captains chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

The new changes in the current dev update seem pretty nice. Especially the undead armies one. Getting the dread encampment from day one is nice, having a chance to turn enemy armies you've killed into an army on your side is kind of what I wanted with undead armies, and then there's this.

quote:

Finally, if an empire with Undead Armies defeats the Voidspawn or Tiyanki Matriarch, they can now resurrect them to fight in their own fleets!

Gonna go get me an undead Matriarch and let my new adorable undead space monster eat all the planets.