Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've gone from sort of understanding the basics of the game to not having an idea what I'm doing in any way.

EDIT: Not that it will stop me from spending most of the weekend playing the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MINING
DRONES
EVERYWHERE

:negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is probably a dumb question but am I supposed to be pooping out outposts like crazy to grow my empire? I started next to a peaceful empire of the same strength and they grew fairly quickly while my borders stagnated. There were only two habitable worlds but I didn't want to rush and colonize them. Even when I did things still went slowly.

EDIT: Also I researched robots. If I colonize a low quality world will it stick a human pop there automatically, or can I choose to only have robots there?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Goddammit Paradox I just want to be space Ireland for a while and figure things out but I keep getting my balls chewed off. :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

On the edge of my empire, on the far side of my ally I saw a system with a crapload of minerals. I slowly built my way toward it. When my farthest outpost was attacked by new, stronger pirates I decided to send one of my two fleets out there to defend my construction ship.

Fought through the pirates, reached the mineral system and built a ton of of mining stations. Since it's at a chokepoint I built a starbase and began improving it so it could fend off pirates. I docked my fleet there to protect the construction ship until it was done with the mining stations.

Well, something went sideways, a bunch of aliens popped out of the asteroids and destroyed the construction ship. My fleet is now trapped at the starbase surrounded by a ring of nasties that I assume will all jump me if I attack one.

So I'm trying to build my way out by pumping up the starbase and its defenses. I'm curious to see if this will work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I got wedged in between a hostile shithead empire and friendly guys. There are two paths through the friendly empire to free space so I picked one and started building on the far side of it. Turns out the other path has the friendlies hemmed in by space amoeba, mining drones, void clouds and something called a "stellar devourer" so for once the Parallax gods smiled upon me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have trouble figuring out how many offensive armies to make for a war. In CK II it was simple because I generally had feedback on how many soldiers both I and my enemy had at any given moment so I could just hit the button to raise the levies and my personal fighters, blob up and off I'd go. In this game I never know how many armies will be enough before I find out the hard way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After a war with a purifier where I reduced them to just two systems before declaring a status quo end I later went back to finish them off. My fleet blew up all the ships in the first system and then bombarded the planet until all the defensive armies were gone. I tried to land my assault armies but got the message that they could not land on an uninhabitable world. The world is 95% habitability for my race. The tiles all appear occupied with the purifier race, but most of them have the icon on them to indicate that they've been destroyed.

I have no idea how to finish this empire off if I can't land my assault armies.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

iospace posted:

Screenshots please?

Okay, when I get home I'll take a few.

I'll confess that in all the time I've played with Stellaris this is the first time I've been in a war I think I can actually finish, so this is a new experience for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

After a war with a purifier where I reduced them to just two systems before declaring a status quo end I later went back to finish them off. My fleet blew up all the ships in the first system and then bombarded the planet until all the defensive armies were gone. I tried to land my assault armies but got the message that they could not land on an uninhabitable world. The world is 95% habitability for my race. The tiles all appear occupied with the purifier race, but most of them have the icon on them to indicate that they've been destroyed.

I have no idea how to finish this empire off if I can't land my assault armies.

It wound up being a glitch. When I loaded the save up again I could land and finish off the purifiers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Staltran posted:

Was the planet orbiting a gas giant? I've accidentally clicked the wrong planet pretty often when giving invasion orders.

No. I am the closest thing to a gas giant in my game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been having a strategy issue where I find myself grabbing alot of systems to reduce pirate spawns as well as try to capture chokepoints to hold back nearby empires. As a result my research costs go through the roof.

I find that pirate spawns quickly outpace my fleets, especially if I'm expanding and need to have multiples to stay close to spawn points or hostile emps.

In my most recent game due to the hyperlane layout I had to spread little blobs around to keep from getting trapped in a very small area, and then my pirate risk skyrocketed so I had to try and fill in the spaces as quickly as possible. It's really squeezed my ability to research.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I haven't played in a long time but I downloaded it anew this morning. I remember my chief complaints from before being how difficult it was for me to understand the mechanics of space combat, and how every federation/alliance seemed to have one member demanding I do stupid poo poo and growing hostile when I refused.

It looks like an awful lot has changed so perhaps those things have been remedied.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm going to try to resist installing any mods until I do at least one refresher playthrough.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh god I feel so lost already. WHERE ARE MY TILES? :cry:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm a bit lost as to what to do with my planets. Before I would watch my tiles closely to go for the resources I prioritized, made sure they were getting upgraded, etc. Now I get one tile with an admin building on it and watch my planet struggle. I might have an option to clear a tile blocker. I understand that the tiles are for buildings, and buildings create jobs, etc. but I feel like there's little I can do to solve specific problems like not enough housing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Splicer posted:

Build districts. See those coloured blobs on the left? You can turn them into mines and energy plants and farms, which also give some housing, and cities, which give dedicated housing.

How did I get through the tutorial without learning that I can build districts?

EDIT: Hahah that was so easy. Thank you!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 28, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My territory seems pretty small, but a colony at one end is listed as being in a frontier sector. It appears to be connected as much as any of them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Loaded up Stellaris again. Last time I played was just after they changed how planets are managed. Things look similar, but there's the new galactic community thing which I don't quite understand, and combat feels different again. I'm letting the game handled ship design and am still in the corvette stage so I don't think it matters yet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I find myself voting "No" on all the galactic community resolutions. They seem weird and hard to evaluate.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm in the middle of a difficult game where my territory is stretched and squashed and I only found three decent world, and then I was rushing to wall off a nearby aggressive xenophobe when I found not one but two gaia worlds! I've never actually colonized a gaia world before.

And both were holy worlds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't know what a holy world was and actually colonized one, and had a second ship on the way when I found out I was going to get squashed like a bug. Had to blow up the colony I'd started.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been waiting so long for Gene Tailoring to show up as a research option that I've forgotten why I wanted it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

<crosses "Gene Tailoring" off the list>

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is there any way to get xenophobic isolationists to open their borders. We're on good terms, but their closed borders are blocking off almost the entire rest of the galaxy from exploration.

EDIT:

Also I'm curious if there's a way to extend sector sizes. I have a few planets that don't appear to be close enough to one another to be included in a mutual sector, but I don't want a bunch of one planet sectors.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 27, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Any truce will do that, including just breaking a non-aggression pact.

I broke the non-aggression pact and their borders opened! I immediately set all three of my science ships to auto-explore.

And then I received the notification that I'd completed researching "speculative hyperspace breaching." Does that let the ships jump anywhere they want?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used the sensor link method to make the three little unexplored parts of the galaxy accessible for breaching and sent my three science ships off. I waited, and they didn't reappear. Then I noticed a new icon, listing the date and time each would emerge from hyperspace. One was going to take six months, another two years, and the last four years!

I feel like I owe my crews an apology, especially because there's maybe twelve systems left to explore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do AIs every attack hostiles in their territory, like pirates, amoebas, etc.? When I see them on the map they seem to stay there forever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I am so ready to start stabbing xenos CK style.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Now that I have a mod that shows me the tech tree for each research option I almost want to restart. It makes choices so much easier for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I never understood the switch to districts/buildings so I can't complain about the changes because I probably won't understand those either. :buddy:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know if a mod is responsible but there was an event where one of my planets found a device that creates edible "dust" in great quantities and got a nice boost from it. Well now a few years down the road the device is out of control and producing huge drifts of the dust and they can't shut it down! :haw:

EDIT: I just recovered a "maniac orb" that crashed onto a primitive world I was observing. It is definitely malevolent but I have an opportunity to negotiate with it. What's the worst thing that could happen?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 18, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Alphamod touches so much stuff I am afraid to install it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Game is getting a little too real...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Some of the DLC is 50% off right now so I grabbed a couple of items with decent reviews.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I added Synthetic Dawn and Corporations to my game and now I feel like I should throw out the current playthrough and start fresh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh! There's new music! :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh sorry, I meant because of the DLC I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I read that as "Gay Tempest".