Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Speaking of the vassal game, the AI is seriously reluctant to bend the knee as a vassal or tributary even when at 100% war exhaustion and occupation. It seems like this is happening when they have an ally in the war, and I really don't care about enforcing these spurious claims of my other vassals (gotten through manually releasing conflicts) that are adding to the warscore. But even with complete occupation of the target state, and 50% of their ally, I'm still about 20 points short of forcing them to pay tribute.

Also, you can't upgrade strongholds in habitats.

I'm still having a blast with the patch though. I'm about to take my revenge on these should-be vassals by sealing them away forever!

e: I don't think that these guys have quite noticed three planets have gone under the shield and a fourth is about to be hit.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

My 'Declare Saint' edict expired exactly as the fourth world, which I had already occupied, was set to be shielded. I renewed it, and you had better believe my empire will be singing the name of Saint Donabb the Bug-Shielder. Here's to you, guy. :synthy:

e: At least #5 has food and a zoo. :3:

e2: At the very last minute, they finally surrendered. The barrage of non-aggression pact and claim notifications that ensued was really something!

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 23, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Trogdos! posted:

How have people tinkered with their sliders? Any recommendations?

I've ran a couple of default-slider games and have felt like there are too few habitable planets around.

Four-armed spiral with 0.75 lane connectivity seems to be the map mode of choice for generating choke points and constellations. I tend to run with higher primitives and maxed FEs.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Can't decide what to take for my last 2 ascension perks. I've already got Tech Ascendency, Executive Vigor, Voidborn, Master Builders, Galactic Wonders, and Circle of Life. Also, what are these Unity edicts I have now? Do their costs scale each time? What's some good bang for my buck on those?

They cost as much as it costs to unlock a tradition, so their price goes up as you unlock new tradition groups or colonise planets. If you're capped out and have no more traditions to get, go nuts!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You could preemptively declare a containment war, take the station one jump ahead of you, and fortify the crap out of it before the machines can send the fleet back!

And yeah, the Worm in Waiting is an amazing piece of content. Alexis Kennedy's next game comes out in a few month, and I really hope Paradox does another collaboration with him once he's free. More of his writing style mixed in with Stellaris' ancient and cycle-ridden galaxy can only be a good thing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Commoners posted:

Agrarian idyll + inward perfection is kind of hilarious since it's easier to switch ethics out of fanatic pacifist hell now. Since their diplomacy/domination traditions are modified to not include diplomacy, you get one that gives you +1 minerals on farms in addition to the +1 unity and +food. This means that if you put farms next to your planet capitals, you get +3 minerals, +5 food (on a level one farm) and +1 unity. The massive unity and growth modifiers mean you can bum rush your pops onto anything with a surface as fast as you can build stations out to planets, and the huge food surplus you get means you get even more explosive population growth while not being short on mineral income.

I had an amazing run doing this, except I made the mistake of getting the colossus project, which stripped away all my CBs after I had switched away from fanatic pacifist and enabled liberation wars. I think this is a bug.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

McSpanky posted:

Are those advisor lines in an expansion or something? Aside from the tenor of its very first interaction with you I just get generic lines from my advisors.

Utopia adds advisor voices for each of the ethoses. Synthetic Dawn has one for robots, and the Humanoids pack has three ones themed around the sample civs it's packaged with.

The Plantoid pack predates advisor voices, and it's probably too late to uh...Take the opportunity to get some new (some might even say green) talent to give an unbeleafable performance? You'd think space plant people would be easier to make jokes about late at night.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

iospace posted:

I bombarded a planet last night and once it hit 0% the gauge refilled. I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen?

Working as intended. Once the bar empties, the game rolls for collateral damage.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

That puts a new spin on the Global Pacifier.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I think I found a bug in 2.0.2. I've got crystal aliens living next door, and I'm getting events about border skirmishes and the great whetstone that seem to be meant for when you have pirate civs next door.

e: Unless for some reason the crystals have cargo pods, in which case they are more advanced than I expected. :tinfoil:

e2:

I suppose I should have expected that my first arthropod game in a while is full of bugs. Even the planet full of other irradiated, pre-sapient cockroaches that I'm desperately trying to save here before they're purged in a few months. :negative:

Is it worthwhile/useful uploading the game save and posting this on the PDS forum?

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 2, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

A stream for the new pack is starting in a few minutes.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Captain Invictus posted:

hire the dwarf fortress guys to do the AI for stellaris

It's pretty much Tarn Adams, and there's a new release out which gives dwarves the ability to remember the most intense experiences in their lifetime and the last year.

Do you really want the Snaliens to bear grudges for real?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

DatonKallandor posted:

That was the second. The Loa are pretty amazing - one of the best depictions of an AI race in sci-fi.

Can you please elaborate?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Aethernet posted:

*cough*

In fairness, a big chunk of that was writing an LP of the game to stand as a horrifying warning:

https://lparchive.org/Sword-of-the-Stars-2/

Huh.

e: also I forgot that I participated in that thread!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

A shame that the latest Galciv 3 expansion has cryptocurrencies as a desirable trait, and True Libertarianism™ as a government on par with Pretty Much The Culture.

Wardell has a huge amount of influence on the games. The flavour text in GalCiv 2's research screen was downright embarrassing compared to the first games, and don't get me started on his self-inserts into the lore/silmarillion fanfiction.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

RedSnapper posted:

Re: Refugees from killbot extermination

Actually happened to me today. It seems like it's pretty rare though, since I've been on 'refugees welcome' policy all the game and that's the only time that happened, while the bots are being pretty proactive this game.

Refugee hive minded pops can survive in non-hive civs? :psyduck:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

McSpanky posted:

It actually does, haven't you ever played a submarine sim? The Hunt For Space October would be dope as hell.

I don't recall the name of it, but there is a space sim like that in development that supports making your own irl instrument panels for it. Seems cool.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Speaking of Paradox and sci-fi games, they just announced the new Age of Wonders game is gonna be sci-fi, seemingly taking cues from Endless Legend and shades of Beyond Earth.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Wormhole FTL was interesting in concept but ultimately led to you getting screwed over hard by borders and maximum range. The gateway network is way cooler and more useful, even if I think it should be buildable sooner!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Is there a way to put your thumb on the scales for the robot uprising events and get anything other than determined exterminators? I'd love to swap to assimilators after building an empire set to tragically fall.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Ornamented Death posted:

You know, I wouldn't mind a dlc that adds a whole bunch of events like The Worm that Waits. That was pretty good.

RIP Sol

I'm really sad that Alexis Kennedy has sworn off freelancing. :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Everyone cooing about Coruscant, and not a single person pumped for Trantor? One of the earlier releases was even called Asimov, and I don't see a Star Wars writer in the release names. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Read Alastair Reynolds. His penchant for having something gross and biological in many of his stories (or change voices a little when talking about astronomy) is absolutely nothing next to that, and his stories are pretty darn good. :sun:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Communist Bear posted:

Read Surface Detail, in which Iain M. Banks goes loving ultra dark with his descriptions of varying levels of Hell.

Potential book spoiler joke: Suffering-as-a-service! :haw:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

My current game had the AI unleash the L-cluster nanoswarm and all of a sudden the habitable worlds count has gone WAY down. I think I might be able to win if I turtle my core systems hard enough.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Conskill posted:

As part of our efforts to re-brand our assimilation process that strips you of your humanity and dare we say your soul, I'd like to introduce you to Funilation! It all starts with re-imaging the neural pithizer, or what we now call the Happy Spike...

Report to Stimsis for deskeletonisation.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Applewhite posted:

I’ve said it multiple times, but I still REALLY want a “b-movie” species pack. New ship designs that look like flying saucers and Flash Gordon rocketships, and races of aliens that look like big-brain monster-men, green and blue space women in silver bikinis, Dalek rip-offs, weird blobs with stalk eyeballs, the works.

I'd love to see this both as cosmetics and as a crisis type. It can be Stellaris' Sunset Invasion.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Applewhite posted:

gently caress the B-movie species pack could be called the “Wood Update” for sci fi director Ed Wood.

I love this idea.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Vengarr posted:

Stellaris 2.1: They tore away my ability to feel humans

:blorgsay:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm hoping for some fine-grained population controls so I can keep doing stuff like having planets with a few organic elites and fill the rest with robots.

Or vice-versa.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

turn off the TV posted:

They should actually add significantly more granularity to combat and embrace Dominions.

Add more crazy stuff for every possible unique thing in the game for maximum Dominions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Conot posted:

:yeah: Star Ruler 2 had a lot of interesting ideas and the death of the studio is a sore point with me.

Its diplomacy was interesting and neat!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I hope Despoilers get to have low-burn raiding wars like CK2 raiding nations. That'd work super well with the potential occupation income.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Especially if we get to defeat idiots talking about 'remove kebab' and white-people-only mods and everything.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 10, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Technical Analysis posted:

I want one where Rulers live a meager lifestyle while the general population gets the good life.

To rule is not a privilege, but a duty. Law forbids leaders the material trappings of daily life while they hold office, so that they may better serve the public interest.

I look forward to the rebelling governors in my more outlying sectors.

So basically Space Plato's Republic?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Constructing a ringworld also involves dismantling all the planets in a system, so maybe there's a lot of leftover material to sift through. :shrug:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can do that in Star Ruler!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wiz please do me a favor and hire Chris Foss to create a new ships DLC. Just let him go apeshit with themes. The Jodorowsky Dune movie, Alien ships, whatever the hell he wants.

I will buy it.

I will buy it.

Also do whatever you can and get Alexis Kennedy to do a whole story pack please.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I would love some more Reynoldsian content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The flavour text for the canonical/canned rogue servitors says that humans just gave them more and more decision making powers - it's basically WALL-E. How your particular one got in charge is up to you, and just picture how it works in your own way. Some people want horrible assisted living, others picture Pretty Much The Culture. :shrug: