Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just started playing the game as a horrible lizard monster slaver race that loves police states apparently, wish these shitheads the worst of luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've read guides, expanded to one of two colony worlds (lol it's a shithole my assholes hate because they're cold blooded and it's an icy desert), but there are just so many numbers. I'm playing on the second easiest difficulty and just seeing what happens but wow this is an unfriendly ui.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 3, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ten years in and my lovely lizards found a race of smug fish. They have 50% more space than me but I have two colonies so I guess it evens out? (It doesn't, apparently). The sprawl is over limit but the penalty is 0.8% to research so who cares. I built ten corvettes that I'm pretty sure can't do anything too.

My biggest issue is there are zero sources of alloys except on my homeworld so far. There's one star system that can give one alloy but that's it. Is that common?

It doesn't really feel like I'm accomplishing anything but I guess it's a 300 year game. I'm in twelfth place, behind the smugfish, by 50 points. I don't know if that's a lot but I hate them and want to make them slaves for daring to be slightly bigger than me. Maybe I'll just find another race and bribe them to do it for me. I figured I'd try and fail to do an early game rush to conquer a species with the equivalent of warriors and archers like in Civ but I'm pretty sure that's not really a thing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 4, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PittTheElder posted:

What difficulty are you on? On the higher difficulties you have no chance of keeping up with the AI early.

As for alloy income, it's very rare that you will find many sources in space. The intended method of producing them is through alloy foundries on your planets. Later non-gestalt empires can look forward to Ecumenopoleis making the supply chain easier, but that comes later.

Second lowest I'm pretty sure

Good to know about the alloys, I guess I need to be patient with the colonies and prioritize that building.

I've got ten corvettes with blue lasers and nukes so I guess since wars out that's good enough for patrolling

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah ok. How many pops do they have compared to you (it shows it on the diplomacy screen)? If it's pretty close, then at that difficulty they're producing more or less the same amount of stuff as you, and it's all about distribution.

Ah I see, I guess they went all in on economics.

It's p hard to even get a baseline in this game. I'm considering just throwing these ten corvettes at them and restarting if it goes south while it's early so I can see how things are impacted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The more I play the more I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a 'win' condition at all, though it's also my understanding that the win conditions are very outdated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I don't think machine races can even use trade routes, I didn't see an option.

I started a co-op campaign; they started in the western rim, blocked except for one lane north. Between us is a fallen empire. To my right is the other fallen empire. Below us is marauders. To the north are mining drones four times more powerful than our fleets. We formed a federation but four hours in, we saw no other AI empires so uh, guess we're just going to keep looking for a way out of the murder hole.

Send help, it's 35 years in and we have fleet strengths of 1000 because military tech doesn't exist. Also my mighty computer brain rules

Also wow sprawl sucks yet doesn't matter at all

e: Stellaris is if Endless Space was good

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 6, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really weird that my gestalt consciousness machine intelligence needs to provide amenities so it doesn't rebel against itself. I hosed these planets up lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol my new robot game has my only neighbor so far be an advanced sugar daddy. Somehow feels good doing nothing but research and expanding.

One of my colonies has pre-sapient creatures as workers, giant bugs who dream of space. Are they doing anything? I'm a gestalt machine but like that they're there.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 7, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

If you get the tech to uplift a presapient species, you get 500 influence for each uplifted species, so it's worth fighting for planets with presapients (not primitive civilizations, which are their own society with an icon next to the planet and buildings and such, but a planet that has 3 "presapient" pops under the population tab without being colonized or anything)

Yep that's what I got. Cool! I'll have to focus on that.

I like that this has been a peaceful run so far so I can learn stuff and not just be Skynet. Though I did desecrate the body of my sugar daddy empire's first astronaut. Whoops.

E: apparently machine intelligences can't uplift, that's a bummer

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 7, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadowlyger posted:

You can as Assimilators or Servitors.

I'm neither :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really starting to feel like you barely interact with other empires at all. Is that right? We found some neighbors in our co-op game but there's not much to do with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much; there's a couple random events that involve other empires (always give the minerals back), but they're mostly there to compete for space and fight with.

Well that is disappointing. I hoped they'd be more involved than civ. Oh well, still fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a science vessel from outside the known universe that immediately assaulted a mining fleet against orders to run away and died.

Rip crystal ship

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I know you can bribe marauders to ruin an AI's day, can you pay an AI empire to do the same to the marauders?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got a fallen empire this game with the goal of outlawing me.

That doesn't seem great

I've got my robot research plugging along but wow my military tech is nonexistent. I guess it'll ramp up though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 9, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How does planet management even work? I can deprioritze a job and all it does is add unemployment, the drones never fill the other job they can do up (like energy creation over amenities). It's all or nothing except it doesn't look like that's how it should be. What am I missing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadowlyger posted:

You can manually turn off some of the amenities jobs with the - button on the thing. Even favorited, it won't fill all of them if you turn some off.

I'm doing this but the drones leaving that job won't fill any other.

I sort of got s balance finally but not on purpose lol.

It's nice that as a robot gestalt I don't have to care about food at all unless I want bioreactors.

E: Also I know it doesn't matter but the victory screen is still annoying me

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 9, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should patch it so Terminator civs can engage in diplomacy, but only with other Terminators in order to better terminate organic life

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool lol, it said the Exterminators don't get to engage in diplomacy at all in the options screen, glad to know they still get to engage in peaceful negotiations on how to best murder everything in the galaxy. As a plain old gestalt machine intelligence I get one (1) envoy :toot:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today in Stellaris I formed the Star League with some space rhinos, found the space rhinos' lost colony, helped found the Space UN (uh oh, two thirds of the galaxy are space religious and believe robots should burn in hell), and found the DAAR Contingency fallen empire. The first resolution is to give a hoot and not pollute, which seems like it'd actually screw me a little bit.

Also I'm pretty sure Cthulu ate a spaceship

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 12, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where the hell is this sixth precursor artifact

e: I'm in third place behind the fallen empires so I guess my civ is doing well. I have a 1500 military power fleet 35 years in. Is that good or bad

Also I'm pretty sure no marauders showed up this time

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 12, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are there other easy ways to imrpove relations besides envoys? I've been giving out trade deals with my limitless minerals (+160 lmao) but between the space UN, the federation, and my advanced ai friend it's stretching thin. It's weird that a gestalt can only have 1 at all to start with. You'd think it'd be infinite :v:

Also these religious fuckers are 100% going to pass the "tax robots" law on me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Splicer posted:

I'd like a garaunteed lovely planets slider. Instead of guaranteeing approximate parity by giving you two free planets, instead it scans ten links out from your homeworld and sticks lovely modifiers on anything matching your type.

No one will invade your worlds because no one anywhere would ever want such incredible pieces of poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PittTheElder posted:

Check the Relics screen, one of the minor relic actions is being able to discover a Precursor project.

What's a relic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just run into boring cavemen, no space races showing up at all yet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW it's 2290 and I've surveyed basically everything possible, what else should I be doing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much should I be giving a poo poo about building armies? Just build a few before I go to war? I may have to take a planet and some starbases from a lovely roboracist empire on my border so I can expand, and the other roboracists probably won't hate that, I bet.

And is the idea that if I don't spend influence for a claim I don't get to keep anything I conquer? I could just blow the starbases up and move on though right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do robots have a troop type or is it just build robots lol, I haven't engaged with this part at all

It sounds like I can just gun through some starbases to knock them back though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't have to finish the dig site right away, for kleptomaniac rats it's best to leave it until you can actually deal with Shard rather than let her spawn and gently caress your poo poo up

The only dig site I've seen so far is right next door to a fallen empire 50 tiles away

The fallen empire is also a roboracist

Not feeling good about my chances in the crisis lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaal posted:

They have the best armies! Hunter-Killers, Battle Frames, and Mega-Warforms.

Lmao now I definitely want to gently caress up my ironman campaign trying these. Should I dedicate a world to pumping these out or just throw a building somewhere or click "build army"?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today I met my parallel universe self and we both defeated the monsters plaguing us.

Now I have the strongest military beyond question but no influence stored, should I try to invade and vassalize an empire for the hell of it? Or does it not work like that

I get I can only claim and keep what I call out but can I just blow up a shitload of bases then force then under me? This robo-racist is also a nazi slaver so I'd rather put them in their place with my federation who also hates them lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you need a quick influence injection declare another empire your rival and wage a humiliation war, you can't keep any territory but you'll get a bunch of influence for pushing their poo poo in. Having a rival is also a tiny boost to monthly influence gain.

If you want to vassalize them then demand so and then you'll have the subjugation CB for 1 year. Certain governments can also wage ideology wars and if you win that empire will be forced to adopt your ethics.

I can't declare anyone rivals because I'm too strong lol. Battleships are pretty good huh

I didn't know I could try to vassalize and fail for a CB though, thanks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The AI really hates letting anyone else into the federation huh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd just break this federation and stomp on that guy buy I want the crisis bonus lol. Maybe after.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Its even more basic in the end than civ, weirdly.

It's 2350 and I have 35k fleet strength. The fallen empires have 220k.

That's probably bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol I conquered a slug homeworld sector, got 80 amalgamated slaves, and I have no food for them and they're bombing things

I got three free habitats out of it though in the meantime. I'm trying to keep some alive but pretty sure most of these guys are dead lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh wait, do I need to feed my amalgamation batteries or are they good? It seems like I actually don't need to have food.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aethernet posted:

Not really. Bung them all on a habitat full of fortresses, turn on martial law and you have an infinite free battery.

Lol hell yeah, take that slugs

e: If I choose to integrate my uplifted species friends into my empire I'm going to purge them right? Sicne I'm a gestalt machine and they aren't?

It really seems like I should be able to do more things as a non-borg or non-terminator.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Two separate federations formed with the same name of Interstellar Assembly. You guys really couldn't have just rolled a second name in case of a dupe?

With fleet strength I went from 30k to 120k in 10 years by spamming the gently caress out of Alloy foundries and battleships and corvettes. I'm nearly on par with a fallen empire now, and have damage bonuses to them and the endgame crisis, when it happens. I also vassalized two thirds of the galaxy. The rest are the Interstellar Assemblies lol