Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am enjoying my fanatic xenophile space elves focused on alien sex so far, though I haven't actually gotten around to the alien sex part.

My favorite improvement so far is the ability to build colony ships with species you have a migration treaty with, even if they haven't actually migrated yet. I had like 5 Arctic planets in my borders as a Continential preference species, but my first non-xenophobe alien I ran into was arctic preference. Now they're almost as populous as my main species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, at some point your housing/jobs just go through the roof.

Like, I went from having to check all my planets for ones that were almost full up on jobs or housing every five minutes to only needing to do it for my newly developed colonies because suddenly city districts give 3 more housing and one more job each.

I have 15 extra jobs and 20 free housing in my capital.

Also, resort worlds are great. Giving up one planet's worth of useful stuff in exchange for 25% migration everywhere else is absolutely worth it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mazz posted:

Food has both a processing center for planet wide increases and a repeatable farm that just adds job slots. The other 2 should work the same way. Add some other penalty like -research or something, but basically I should be able to make planets that actually produce a large mineral surplus without having to flat ignore building slots and the majority of my population capacity to do so. Robots cannot currently do anything like this before making everything a machine world, which is just way too limited.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. There are no mining stations that give food, you can get energy from trade value, and you can deal with a lack of minerals far more than you can deal with a lack of food. Robot empires don't even need to deal with food, which makes getting energy and minerals a lot easier.

Why do you think you should be able to get the benefits of a rural, mining world without having to make the sacrifices that such a world entails?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rebellions in 4x and grand strategy games are mostly just a nerf for the AI players. It's generally not hard to avoid them, and if you can't avoid them it feels really bad to just lose half of your systems/cities/counties/whatever for no reason.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My major problem with this game is resettlement. Manually resettling people to other planets is annoying, and not doing so puts you behind. I'd rather have a planetary decision to force pops to slowly move from planet A to planet B, both weakening resettlement and preventing the need for micromanagement.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The origin I want the most is Death World, where your species gets a positive trait in exchange for your home planet being absolutely abysmal. Like, massive increases in consumer goods spending, minus a bunch of amenities, reduced pop growth as your native flora and fauna eats your young, etc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot play xenophobe because hurting fictional aliens makes me feel bad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only way to play is to make your demographics pie chart five million colors.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, as someone who doesn't mind all the problems Stellaris has, this is looking up to being a very disappointing expac. Peaceful interactions between nations needed a major update, and this is not enough. Unfortunate.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want to colonize planets by throwing meteors at them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I played a game earlier and I swore I was getting empire cohesion penalties to my empire sprawl.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Do you get many war/invasion opportunities as a xenophile nation?

Xenophiles can wage war just as well as every other non-pacifist nation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The fact that xenophile pacifists are unable to become the crisis is immensely disappointing because xenophile pacifists are basically the only empires I play.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

What threat would you pose to the galaxy exactly?

I'd say 'forcibly add everyone to a hive mind' but then I realized I could just make an actual hive mind and do that instead.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That looks like a giant eyeball you can trust.

HAK HAK HAK.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Trying the 3.0.3, and are you supposed to have all your planet's pop growth just randomly reset? I understand it's supposed to fix pop growth weirdness but that seems to be weirder than normal 3.0...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want to try out the 3.0.3 beta, but my test game occasionally had all my growth resetting, which is either an annoying bug or a really annoying way of changing growth and either way I hate it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

This is usually due to you genemodding all of an old class of pop out of existence and then the game has to choose a new one to grow (which is technically a different pop).

I agree the game forgetting your progress here is stupid

I wasn't gene modding but I did take Mind over Matter recently. Maybe that's it?

EDIT: Yeah, that was probably it. I remembered it happened twice, so I was confused, but then I remembered I got the box event, which also genemods your species. I played another game and got the box event again, and yep, it happened.

Annoying.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 3, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes. You are absolutely correct. Do exactly that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, like, you lose a planet, you lose any pops still left on the planet, and you have to spend a bunch of influence and/or energy credits to move pops off the planet, and it happens very early on when all of those things are at their most premium.

Some early minerals, energy, and alloys does not make up for that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So the game knows I made a fanatic Xenophile egalitarian empire based entire around attracting aliens to immigrate to my worlds and therefore intentionally made my first three alien empires three hive minds, including a devouring swarm, right?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I blocked off one of my Hive Mind Neighbors. Turned out they were Doomsday and didn't have any habitable planets in their currently claimed space, so they exploded and all died.

Whoops.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kaal posted:

I think people just generally should branch out and try different civilizations. I understand that Stellaris attracts a certain amount of optimization, but it ends up creating such a narrow focus for people that any patch or event that threatens that singular "optimal approach" is vehemently challenged. I've tried so many different kinds of empires and settings, and I think it's helped me recognize how flexible the game really is.

I have yet to play a single xenophobic or genocidal empire and I never will.

I feel bad enough conquering AI. Purging them would feel even worse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pacfist is the best because war is bad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Claim more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Is this the third or fourth attempt at changing how admin cap works?