Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi thread, I heard that 2.0 is great so I am going to give the game another shot even though I have been a huge naysayer because of the hands-off combat, planetary pop tile management, and sectors sucking complete rear end.

Is there a good centralized spot where I can read up on what is new since pppbbbbtt, a month after the game released? Things like Habitats, Ascension perks, new traits and government forms, and that kind of stuff? e.g. is the wiki up to date, or is there a better spot to read up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

So, uh, regarding the previous discussion on system/planet tradition/tech cost increases and figuring out if a system is worth it, I think a good way is to basically calculate how much unity/science you're losing to inflation. Now, if you're not an idiot, you write a function to do that in whatever programming language. If you are an idiot, after that you decide that a simple web page would be a more convenient UI, and wouldn't take that long to make. Future idiots don't need to do that though. Unless they want to make one that's not kinda lovely I guess. If you have any complaints/suggestions you can post them here but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll care enough to spend more time on this. (The source code also badly needs refactoring so I don't really want anyone to see it.)
Doing poo poo like this is why I am trying to learn how to code. Nice job.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are "civics" new with 2.0 or have they been around since a previous patch/expansion? Is the wiki on them up to date or can anyone explain them to me?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lum_ posted:

They've been in for a while (think since the Utopia patch? if not launch?) They're 2 (eventually 3) minor bonuses you can give your empire at start. The ones you can pick change depending on your type of government or ethics (you need to be Fanatic Pacifist to take the one that gives you Unity points for every farm for example)

List: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Government#Civics
Thank you! They were definitely not in at launch. I played for about a month after launch and quit well before Utopia came out so I am guessing they were a Utopia thing .

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aw man, you need the Armageddon Expansion to play Fanatical Purifiers and Post Apocalyptic

I guess I will have to make a civ as these awesome Mantis Shrimp looking creatures instead

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow this game needs some loving hovertext. I dont know what anything is and none of it is explained. What the gently caress is the difference between "Explore System" and "Survey System"? What/how do half the things in the fleet manager mean/do/work?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

You should consult the out of data wiki which for the most part doesn't cover the new update

Jazerus posted:

explore system just moves the science ship there. this is useful only because other ships can't enter systems until a science ship has. survey system surveys all of the objects in a system for resources.

every button in the fleet manager does actually have a tooltip
Yes but what about non-buttons? What does the #/# mean? Why is it there, what does it do, why do I see it, how do I change it (if I want to change it)? What does "Command Limit" mean, how does it affect me, and how do I change it? Is that the limit per fleet or for my empire as a whole? Things like that.

edit: also its a complete loving joke that I have started four games now and each of the planets I start near are size 15 or smaller.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 28, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, thank you for all the replies. I didnt even know there was a tutorial and even if there was I would probably ignore it because Paradox tutorials are usually dreadfully bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Why donít you just try it and see what happens. Geez
Because I would expect a game that has been out for ppbbttt two years? to have something simple like that covered.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is the best way to deal with a Void Cloud early game when I have tier 1 weapons and have not seen any potential weapon upgrades until I just now started researching Space Torpedoes? I would really like it dead but I have lost a good 20 Corvettes trying to bumrush it and i never get it below 600 health.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

Missiles, void clouds are half shield and have very high shield regen, missiles bypass shields and do extra damage to hull. Nothing you use defence wise will help unless you get something that increases your base health.

Space torpedoes might actually be your best possible option because they have very high alpha strike damage and you might be able to wipe it out in the first volley.
You were right, it got annihilated immediately. Thank you for the insight!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

I really recommend looking at the details of space monsters and enemy ships, the static ones especially tend to have quite specific strengths and weaknesses.
I was looking at it's stats but I didn't know how to interpret them yet, so I've just been trying to roll with the punches.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hobbesmaster posted:

ICS has proved effective throughout history!
What does ICS stand for in this instance?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember seeing someone post that you can edit the starlane slider somewhere in the files to something other than 100 or 75? I would like to give that a try but I cant find it, probably in part because I am not exactly sure what I am looking for.

edit: Good grief yeah I would love to be able to try like 90 rather than 75 because 75 seems just way too low but 100 is just a hair too high. cripes

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 1, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it normal to fail every single Anomaly research when it says the risk is 5%? Because I have waited till the fail chance was down to 5% before I research them, and have failed at six straight...

edit: now 7....

edit2: failures 8 and 9 have now happened. Everyone one had a 5% failure chance... I have not succeeded at researching one anomaly yet...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know what that does?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I must say I think it is odd that early game you earn the majority of your resources from mining stations but later game that gets entirely replaced by what pops produce on planets as your empire expands. It would be cool if you could upgrade the scanners on your science vessels so you can re-scan everything to look for better bonuses to unlock in the systems that you already own.
Or better mining/research station tech so you can crack the crust of a barren world easier for the juicy minerals on the inside or to research the interior of a planet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TalonDemonKing posted:

Endless Space 2 does this and it's pretty neat. Each planet has a set of anomolies that you can see, but can't probe until you have the correct 'curiosity' level, which is gained by researching techs. Hiding the amount of anomolies on a planet and allowing for re-scanning would be pretty good for discovery tradition, since you can get locked out of a ton of planets once you start meeting people.
I had originally said that it would be neat if we could do that in this game and Wiz actually posted and said that doing so was part of the initial design, but got dropped for time in Stellaris. I would really really like to see it added to Stellaris.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I am playing a Fanatic Purifier and I am Armageddon bombing a planet and its "Planetary Damage" keeps ticking up to 100%, then resetting to zero. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Because I am pretty confused and the game is giving me zero feedback.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pylons posted:

Once it ticks to zero, it should do one of three things:

Destroy a building

Destroy a pop

Destroy a tile

Jazerus posted:

every time planetary damage hits 100% a pop and the building in its tile gets blown up. non-armageddon bombing can kill pops, but is more likely to just blow up buildings

Ahhh okay, and I guess the garrison takes damage slowly over time separate from that, since I can see their health bar slowly drain. Interesting. I saw plenty of craters show up on the planets but didnt notice other things happening. Maybe the game can count a partial/growing pop as a casualty because it took forever. You would think that a planet that is being bombarded and is generating negative food wouldnt have any pop growth...
Anyway, thanks guys!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ah, the barbarian hordes that come to space-pillage you can use wormholes . Now I am starting a new game because they completely ravaged my interior but left the four super border forts untouched and I am in a death spiral. What a great way for a game to end! And you cant turn it off or avoid it, either!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

Sure you can. You can buy them off when they say they're coming to gently caress you up.

(Assuming you're on the beta patch; if you're not, they're just aggro and might have hosed you up on the way to someone else.)
I cant because I'm Fanatic Purifiers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone explain the difference in these two types to me? I have occupied a few additional systems that are not part of the war goal/something I have claims on, and the Acceptance numbers showing for each choice are different so I just dont understand what is going on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

in this case? nothing, because you've occupied all of your claims and the enemy has no occupation on you. if they did have anything occupied in your territory that they have claims on, then status quo would give them the claimed systems they occupy while you get the claimed systems you've occupied. achieve war goals would give you all of your claims on them and not give the other side any of their claims on you.
Oh poo poo, yeah, I see it now. I have no way of taking additional systems. Lame.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost: what is the best way to get conquered pops to change Ethics to my own? Because of a powerful faction I have forced resettlement off so I cant just move 'em around like I did pre-2.02, where I would move one conquered pop to a planet full of my pops then wait and hope a pop of the new species would grow and appear with my ethics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Question: What happens to an empire's systems if you take all of their planets?

Why yes, yes you are welcome. Please settle in and take as much time as you need to acclimate.

Descar posted:

Just stopped a fallen Empire with one simple trick

What am I looking at?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone tell me how I get my Teldar Crystals and other Strategics to give me their bonuses? Or where I can see how they work in 2.0.2 or whatever the beta patch is?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

you get the bonus as long as you have at least 1 of the resource, instantly
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly, I just keep finding it to be way too restrictive. I always get three non-intersecting series of hyperlane linked systems that snake all the way along the length of the arms.
Yeah 0.75 was too restrictive to me too. I just start a game at 1.0 with Spiral Arms and it is usually fine. I want to figure out how that one guy that posted here modded it to be 0.88 by default in Defines or something. I checked out Defines and couldnt find an entry for that, but I may not have known what I was looking for.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

That reminds me of something else I noticed that was odd. I had my forward fleets based out of starbases that were mostly forts but had one slipway each so that I could upgrade the fleet without it travelling all the way to some other starbase. At some point, I think after I started building gateways to connect important systems, and all my fleets would queue up to upgrade at one of these starbases. Like, the same one every time. It's not like the others were in use either.

Incidentally, I love wormholes and gateways. It's awesome that sometimes the fastest way across my empire is to go to the other side of the galaxy.
I think fleets reinforce from their homebase regardless of where it is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

I don't mean reinforcement, I mean upgrading to new models. For most of the game they'd upgrade right where they were. Somehow it looks like adding a gateway to systems made traveling to some starbase on the other side of the empire seem like a more sensible way of updating than just using the slipway they were docked at...?
O....oh. That is odd.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jng2058 posted:

You can make new claims during a war, but they cost x2 or x3 influence depending on whether you are the defender our attacker. Expensive, but sometimes worth it.
Oh I didnt know this was possible, thank you! It let me have Prettier Borders because i had forgot to claim a 2 energy star that was clustered up with some other, better, stars.

King Doom posted:

From the Sol System, right? these guys were the all stars of the very first game of Stellaris I ever played.
I forgot to mention that I got them as refugees - I have no idea where they came from. Without them I would be stuck at 3 planets right now because I only have size 10 planets or a bunch of 20% habitability stuff like size 23 Ocean and size 24 Tomb World. Instead I am at 6 and counting because they can settle on that stuff and on the deserts that I am conquering from a neighbor.

King Doom posted:

I was messing about with an ultra friendly super sciencey race and I found the Sol tomb world on the other side of the galaxy and those guys were on it, so I built an outpost and uplifted them. And then some fanatic purifiers blindsided me and conquered basically every one of my original planets, leaving me with a tomb world full of uplifted bugs.

As emergent stories go, it was pretty awesome. A bunch of only just raised to sentience bugs left alone after their uplifters just vanish one day. They had the prole trait, so they were awful at science, but awesome at building, so they build a fleet and go flying back towards where their buddies are. There's a slaver empire in the way though, so they have to smash through them by flying fleet after fleet after fleet of crappy ships, till the slavers are just overwhelmed. Maybe the slavers are the reason the uplifters vanished? the slavers get purged, just in case. So does a despotic empire and a one planet sized purifier civilisation who picked the worst time to make the trip to the stars.

Finally the Roachoids make it back to the uplifters home system, obliterating the original fanatic purifiers fleet in a battle where the purifiers are outnumbered five to one and the planet is liberated! The Roachoids finally get to meet their uplifters face to face, all two of the pops that hadn't been purged yet. The Roachoids mass migrate to their new homeworld to guard their uplifters.

Of course, by this point the threat they've built up means that all the neighbouring races are starting to build up, so it was time or the Roachoids to rally their own fleets again...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 5, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidkissinger posted:

What's the consensus right now. Should I buy Apocalypse and play Stellaris again?

I played a bunch when Synthetic Dawn came out then got bored because the combat sucks so bad.
I was a huuuuuuge Stellaris fatalist and hated the game after initially buying into the release hype. I hadnt played the game since the plant people content pack thingy and said that it was unsalvagable. I was wrong. Game good.

Honestly, just try the beta (2.0.2) patch without buying to try out how the game works now. It is completely different - like Sandwich Anarchist said, combat has been rebalanced; the game is locked to Hyperlanes only so you can build chokepoints; fleet sizes are limited to prevent mega murder fleets; fleet movement is slower which encourages you to have mutliple smaller fleets to cover the strategic flanks; space is claimed by building a small starbase in a system for 100 minerals and some influence....depending on the wartype you are flipping those to your control or shooting them into submission and "occupying" them.

edit: They added a War Weariness mechanic so wars are not multi-decade long "hellwar" affairs. War Weariness accumulates over time for both sides and can jump after fleet battles and planetary invasions. Once it reaches 100 for both parties the aggressor starts getting massive penalties to encourage them to end the war.

edit2: I've won 1v1 wars by simply winning some space battles and occupying the space I had claims on....I wasnt required to occupy 100% of my opponent's space.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 5, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

MoO3 ...
...its amazing how bad they hosed up by pushing that game out before it was ready, cuz it had a lot of good ideas.
Hah! I completely forgot that they even made it. What ever happened to it? I remember hearing that Paradox tried to buy the IP a while back, several years ago now.

edit: Wasnt it bought by the same company that owns WoT but some random developer in South America actually made the game?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sedisp posted:

Any word on them fixing the unity bug in 2.0.2? I prefer the beta patch over live but that much unity feels like cheating.
Wait, what bug?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it ends up feeling really gamey as you micro-click you fleet pixel by pixel hoping to "pull" the enemy fleet without triggering others.
This is part of what I hated about the game at-launch, but they fixed mining stations having guns not powerful enough to even destroy a single starting corvette but it made them "armed" and thus caused fleets to go out of their way to engage them. Also the whole "stop, shuffle around to get into the right rigid obtuse and stupid formation while moving slowly in the direction of the escaping enemy fleet, then saunter at speeds less than half of what they move outside of combat towards the enemy fleet that is now 90% ready to warp out of the system" problem

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 5, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

I keep bringing up how buggy the game is in this thread but it seems to be ignored! In 2.0.2, Tradition costs do not scale properly with colonies. In fact, they don't scale at all with colonies, despite what the tooltip would have you believe. The 1% increase per system is being applied twice instead.
You were having a meltdown about how systems shouldnt cost any unity penalty and then I started ignoring your posts. Many people have brought up bugs and how the 2.0.2 patch is buggy, and understandably so because they just did a major overhaul of the game less than two weeks ago. I have no idea what you are talking about with this "but it seems to be ignored"; you are being ignored because you spent two pages posting nonsense about expansion costs.

Zore posted:

When they fixed the unity scaling improperly it looks like they bugged it the other way so that unity costs don't go up as much as they should.

Jazerus posted:

in 2.0.1, the unity penalty for colonies and systems was multiplied instead of added, making unity much slower than intended. in 2.0.2, systems give double their intended penalty while colonies give no penalty at all due to a typo, making it much faster than intended

ConfusedUs posted:

I've read that they're not properly accounting for number of colonies somehow. This being the internet, I'm not sure if it's "colonies aren't counted against you at all" or "they count less than they should".

I have kind of wondered why, even now that I'm up to 15 planets and at the end of the tree, I was still pulling in a new tradition every 4-5 years. I have made sure to dedicate every possible tile to unity production and buy every possible edict for it...but still. It seemed fast.

Thanks gents! Good to know my game as a Fanatic Spiritualist making stupid amounts of Unity is at least somewhat of a lie, now i wont be surprised when it is not as good once the bug is fixed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: not worth it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 5, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

Uh... okay? You didn't need to quote all of them. But what I said was that systems shouldn't cost any research penalty (and provided some arguments as to why). I didn't say anything about not costing unity. In fact, I reinforced the idea that the unity penalty was a balancing factor.

Not that it's working correctly in 2.0.2.
Yeah sorry, I re-read some of them and you make some good points (and quite a few I disagree with, but that is not what this is about) in there but it was a bit much. You caught me before I could edit.

Baronjutter posted:

No one cares who was right in a pages long stellaris argument.

Good to know why I had tapped out the entire unity tree by the early mid-game though. Is there any buzz or ETA on 2.0.3 ?
You're right, I edited it.

I hope 2.0.3 is soon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

This is interesting. So what happens when the first pirates show up? Will you be able to rebuild your fleet fast enough to stop them, or will they raze your empire to the ground? Don't leave us hanging!
I've seen other people say that you want to refit your fleet to have zero equipment/lowest tech because it is remarkably faster to refit a fleet compared to building new ships.

Which raises the question: If you refit your ships and take equipment off, do minerals get refunded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

You mean they'll release a new version of the beta? I hope they do one soon then, the tradition cost bug is, uh, pretty big.
Yeah I guess I phrased what I said about 2.0.3 being soon - I dont care what the number is, fix the drat critical flaw please!