Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

What's the consensus right now. Should I buy Apocalypse and play Stellaris again?

I played a bunch when Synthetic Dawn came out then got bored because the combat sucks so bad.

Combat has been balanced a bit, and now encourages use of multiple smaller fleets to hold chokes and respond to attacks over larger areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Other combat thing is that ships can "disengage" now if they get the poo poo kicked out of them, leaving the combat and becoming untargetable, and if your entire fleet disengages, they do an automatic emergency retreat. Every battle isn't necessarily a battle to total fleet destruction now.

Also planetary invasions and bombardment are reworked, so that you don't need to build defensive armies, and bombardment isn't required to invade (and honestly is sometimes the opposite of what you want to do since it destroys infrastructure now).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What constitutes "early, mid, and late game", as far as time played or tech levels goes?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Does putting an outpost in a border system piss off Isolationist FEs, or just colonizing them?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

imweasel09 posted:

Outposts count, even ones on the other side of wormholes you can't explore.

So as long as I keep a buffer of one system I should be good?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So I am sitting at 2373 and can research Synthetics. I have 3 planets of about size 20ish fully loaded with Droids for mining, and a combined fleet power of about 22k, which is only half of my capacity. Is it worth going for Synthetics, or will I almost certainly regret it?

Edit: I am a fanatic materialist / egalitarian

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Do it.

Nothing bad can happen, they are your trustworthy machines that have served you for centuries.

I'm aware of the Contingency and AI Rebellions, I just don't get if they WILL happen, CAN happen, or PROBABLY will happen, and whether or not I can handle it if it does. You response leads me to believe "don't do it" is actually the right answer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Don't be a coward!

It's more that this is the furthest I've ever made it, I'm playing Ironman, and I don't have lots of free time to start another game if I screw the pooch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Am I able to upgrade my 66 pops worth of Droids into Synths? Do they do it automatically?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I didn't realize that the core planet mechanic got turned into core SYSTEMS, and have been sitting on 3/4 of an undeveloped ringworld for years. Time to fix that and fill it with synths!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

popewiles posted:

I think it has actually been systems for a long, long time.

I hadn't really played since utopia was announced, so

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So I don't know what to do here.

The Great Ozkox Polity over there is claiming all kinds of my, the Igran Confederacy's, systems, but I can't lay any claims on theirs. The Kelbrid Hub is a vassal. The Ozkox have inferior in every category and I could crush them, but I don't know how to make that possible.

Edit: I was set to Liberation Wars, doh.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 27, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine wait for them to declare war on your vassal, beat the poo poo out of them, and then claim their poo poo in the war. You need to be neighboring people to claim their poo poo or rival them afaik and I don't think that works with vassals well.

E: No wait I can claim things from miles away it just costs more. Why can't you claim?

Liberation Wars, I figured it out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hungry posted:

Kind of off-topic but are you playing super tall there? Curious how you're doing with so little expansion.

Yeah, super tall technocracy. I was Thrifty, Intelligent, Traditional, Non-Adaptive, Sedentary cat people. Ran Fanatic Materialist/ Egalitarian, Beacon of Liberty, Lifeseeded.

I took the choke systems and didn't expand more. Rushed robotics and took some planets as full robot forge worlds of mining facilities, focused the home planet on science and unity. Got megastructures quickly and started building habitats, filled them with energy buildings and cat people. Now I have a ring world I'm working on. I was until very recently the strongest empire in the galaxy aside from the Fallen Empires, but then did the synthetic evolution and pissed off the Holy Protector FE, who came and attacked me. I managed to hold them off and force a peace, so now I'm rebuilding my fleet up since we just started getting word of the Ghost Signal.

I am doing really quite well, everyone is happy, I'm rolling in resources, half complete Dyson Sphere and Science Nexus.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 27, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Holy poo poo. How am I supposed to beat this crisis? Aside from Fallen Empires, I am far and away the strongest empire around, and one contingency fleet is as strong as my entire navy.

Edit: the smaller fleets are nearly as strong as my navy, and the defense fleets around their world's are like 2x as strong. Nobody else in the galaxy has any capability to do poo poo. Are we just doomed? How can you be expected to deal with a crisis like this alone while the mewling idiot bird people you live near do nothing?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 28, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's the Contingency, their ships are built to deal with anything I can do equally. I remodded my ships for better shields though so that may help.

There is an awakened empire who us building a federation, but all the member nations have pitiful militaries. And one of their worlds spawned in the middle of the adjacent empire lol.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I can probably keep them out of my territory pretty well as long as they don't send like 3 fleets at me at once, so ill just try to turtle up and take targets of opportunity. The spreading mass of red closing in on my borders is scary :ohdear:

edit: not to mention that my empire is like, 60% synthetics, and all of them are being hosed by the ghost signal.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is there supposed to be some event or project to unfuck my synthetic, population during the Contingency? Because I'm hosed otherwise.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

Only machine empires get the special project. Everyone else just has to suck it, even synthetically ascended empires. For them they can only reduce the strength of the Ghost Signal by destroying Contingency hub worlds.

:negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

iospace posted:

How exactly do you merge fleets?

Select them both and click the "merge fleet" button on the fleet window.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Lots of corvettes are still working wonders for me. Torpedo and autocannon spam being fixed made them slightly less good, but they're still powerful as hell.

I'm actually at a loss for what to do on the token Destroyers/Cruisers/Battleships in my fleets. Usually my battleships wind up as artillery pieces carrying an X mount weapon on the bow. My cruisers are usually line ships with a couple disruptors and as many plasma as I can fit on it. But beyond those two I'm fairly at a loss for what to do.

I can't get corvettes to work. I have tried a number of times, evasion as high as possible, autocannons and torpedoes, and it is just basically spending my fleet to destroy another. Losses are always catastrophic, and they do just marginally better than a fleet of larger ships. What's the trick I'm missing?

Edit: I do spec defenses to the enemy I'm fighting, and take some PD if they favor missiles or fighters.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't know, to be honest. I only run two generic flavors of corvette: an Interceptor with two kinetics and an energy, and a Missile Boat with an energy and whatever missile weapon gives the best damage I can squeeze out of an S slot. I run shitloads of them, though. I think my current fleets are like ~50k power, with 80 of each type. Followed by token appearances from the other ship types. (1 battleship, 3 cruisers, 5 destroyers) Each fleet combat is a massive swarm of lasers and missiles flying at the enemy, and overwhelming them with sheer numbers.

I ensure that the 'vettes have 90% evasion, though. Usually the only losses my fleet takes in any battle are the destroyers because they're kinda lovely.

I had a couple fleets of 180 vettes, all kitted out with torps and a kinetic, with full shields and close to 100% evasion, plus an evasion commander, had about 65k power, and they just melted against a single 100k Contigency fleet. Like, I got wiped and they were still at 60k.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 30, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
That was a typo. I had a COUPLE fleets at that strength.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Are you running No Retreat? Because corvette fleets should not take heavy losses even if never manutally FTL out.

I'm not running anything actually, I haven't maxed supremacy in this game yet, and I think my vettes were getting like 2 shotted and didn't have time to flee. I'll look again and reevaluate.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Do Gene Clinics affect robot build speed?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So after banging my head against the wall of Contingency for a 150 year hell war, I gave up on that game. Started a new one, and lo and behold:

I had somehow managed to turn the Crisis Strength slider up to 1.75. No loving wonder it was so impossible to deal with! How anybody can do 5x blows my mind.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It scales to your galaxy size, I believe, because a larger galaxy will have more people to fight it.

Yeah, except when they are all idiots with Pathetic fleet power compared to me, and the crisis' fleets are 40k higher than mine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A nearby empire has suddenly all but vanished, and what little remains of its territory is occupied by "Night Terrors", which are incapable of engaging in diplomacy.

What?

Edit: It's pirates. They have a station nearby, but it looks like they managed to topple this entire empire during a civil war. I didn't know pirates could occupy territory. I can't declare on them, because they can't use diplomacy, and their borders are closed. Will destroying the initial pirate station clear them out?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 31, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Popping the pirate station didn't do anything. There is now a small empire in the middle of everything, that doesn't talk, and can't be fought. Wtf

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I'll put a strong point into "don't accidentally leave it on probably the minimum difficulty" because this is boring

Yeah, I'm starting to see this. This second run with my tall science build has once again left me as the leading power in the galaxy by a large margin, with all my neighbors asking for protectorate after I wiped out some Determined Exterminators. Should I try scaling?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nordick posted:

Well, poo poo. I was never much of a Trekkie at all, so I had no idea about any of the history of the setting. I assure you, any similarities or references are purely coincidental. :v:

Way I figured it, Taalgan society used to be divided into a bunch of bickering nation states, mired in stagnant theocracy and mutual mistrust and xenophobia, and just generally very averse to change. This is the part they've turned around, but they're still pretty warlike and generally riotous in nature.

So, humanity then.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What are people's favorite empire builds?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cpaf posted:

I just came back with 2.0 after a long break and tried this build I found on reddit and it's pretty fun for a tall/turtle game.

This is literally the build I am currently using lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thyrork posted:

One xenophobic ruler and his people have doomed the universe. It is served upon a silver platter for the survivors.

:chaostrump:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zohar posted:

Does anyone know what mod (I assume it's not in vanilla 2.0.2) might be letting pirates take over whole systems? They show up as hostile like marauders but you can't enter the systems because the borders are closed and you can't communicate with them. I saw someone on the subreddit complain about this but can't find the post now, so I've decided to just kill them off one by one in the console.

I've been having the same problem

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Literally just had the 3 adjacent systems to my homeworld populated by 1k power mining drones, an ether drake, and void clouds. Abandoned that one so fast my esc button is still smoking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sloober posted:

I woulda kept at it, drones aren't that terrible since they are laser fueled so you can punch above your weight if you gear for shields

Yeah, but why, when I could just restart and not have the hassle of waiting years for my home system to generate enough minerals to deal with it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Paradox related: Crusader Kings 2 is free on Steam right now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

iospace posted:

Thanks, for I have discovered this:

I am such a child.

I'm laughing so hard at this, downloaded at light speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Either I don't know what happened, or I found a huge bug:

I had a war with a neighbor, took all my claims and then transferred the territory into a new vassal. 2 planets, 3 starbases and a load of developed systems. After like, 5 years, they just vanished. Poof. All the mining stations, starbases, everything, just gone. No war, nothing.