Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Gameplay 101 question: is there any way to disengage from a fight that isn't the emergency FTL retreat? I just lost 100% of my first game's fleet to a space monster because I couldn't figure out how to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Nah that button is what people mean when they say retreat. Civilian ships can disengage from combat and jump out of the system as per normal though, assuming they don't die or auto-retreat first.

Even so I'm surprised you lost everything. Were you running the No Retreat fleet doctrine as a Purifier or something? Or were you fighting something with a skull for a fleet power rating?

Skull :frogdunce: I was looking for its fleet power and it took me just an extra second to realize the skull meant fleet power :smith:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

what a grand and intoxicating innocence!

That's so cool. How does one Become The Crisis?

Speaking of crises: I loved my first game, just as I was getting a little bored at ~2400 the Unbidden rolled in. But wow, the AI really can't hack crises:

My federation consisted of half the galaxy, the other half was muderbots (:awesomelon:) and a couple of fallen empires. Two small civilizations (~3 systems left) in the heart of muderbot space joined my federation. No, really, they were around 15 jumps deep, surrounded on all sides. They then voted for a proactive war to end the murderbot menace, leading to their untimely robotic deaths...instantly.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Do Fallen/Awakened empires cheat? I'd cut pretty deep into one's space and FTL jumped my way out so the nearest 150K fleet was several jumps away. Then it appeared literally on top of me and took no FTL penalty. Kinda sucks the fun out of it, given that they already have incredible stat bonuses.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Fur20 posted:

hi welcome to the cat and mouse hell known as "your enemy used emergency jump and there's no way to know where or when they'll respawn"

half a game year ago, you probably engaged the fleet for a split second, they hit the emergency eject button, and now suddenly they're here loving you up harder than you could ever imagine! this is by far my least favorite activity in stellaris

I got back at them by taking all their home space. After that crushing victory, the AI decided to expand out against everyone else...leaving almost nothing to defend against me :downs:

By points they're still "winning" even though they control none of their original space, because they took big swaths of comparatively low value systems. So that's kind of silly.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I'm trying to assimilate all of the galaxy's organics, but really don't want to deal with the administrative consequences. Is there a way to create vassals from sectors as a driven assimilator? When I try to make one out of a sector, the button just says "we do not own any planet we can give up."

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I'm trying to assimilate all of the galaxy's organics, but really don't want to deal with the administrative consequences. Is there a way to create vassals from sectors as a driven assimilator? When I try to make one out of a sector, the button just says "we do not own any planet we can give up."

I got halfway there because I've found your cyborg pops don't care about being purged, so I can, uh, rescuplt my empire the hard way. Guess I wasn't ready for the responsibilities of parenthood driven assimilating.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Looks like people are having a lot of fun with First Contact. I'm thinking of picking up some of the other DLCs on sale. I have apocalypse and utopia, what's the verdict on federations, nemesis, and megacorp?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I'd say those are less game enhancing/changing than picking up any of the species packs like Synthetic Dawn, Lithoids, Necroids etc. etc. If you already have all those then I'd probably go Federations, Nemesis, then Megacorp. Fed/Nem order depending on if you like working with the AI or devouring/burning the galaxy.

Huh, I'd never really considered the species packs, but they do look good. Are there any mandatory mods I'm missing out on as vanilla?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I'm assuming there's more to espionage than "gather information" and "steal relic," but I can't figure it out. Is there a specific expansion pack or civic that enables more options?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Guess I'll see how steep the discount is with Paragons.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Machine empire, Great Khan as my neighbor. Lose a planet to the Khan, re-take the planet, inherit two Khan pops. Sitting at 0 food, get the resource shortage event, ignore it because I'm purging them anyways; lose 50% of my fleet to "bankruptcy," quit to desktop :downs:

yes I know I could just re-load but c'mon

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Slavery without genocide is too hard :saddowns: By like, 2230, I wiped out a neighboring purifier and faced a very predictable uprising on their homeworld. I didn't realize how vicious the consequences are: the uprising wiped out my orbiting fleet and spawned one 3x as powerful for them, making them more powerful than when I'd originally declared war on them :wtc:

What am I supposed to do? Give them rights? I mean, I'm not Xenophobic, just authoritarian. What's the dumb would-be galactic conqueror's guide to dealing with subjugated empires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Sure, make them residents if you have to. You can always demote them to indentured servants later.

Also, make sure you put a few of your favored pops there to be rulers in order to gain some happy political power. Revolts trigger when stability is low for a long time - often just one or two happy politicians can balance out 40 unhappy slaves enough to keep the planet stable.

Dramicus posted:

You can also have a tiered slave system where one species gets favored with a better status and conditions than the others and you use them as enforcers to keep everyone else down.

Sage advice for oppression. Let's try this again.